Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Wheels on Meals was really great. I've seen many Jackie Chan movies, but not this one. Movie Club ftw for finally getting me to watch it. Easy recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
okay so i will start ths posdt with with that im really really drunkl

holy poo poo is m a great movie

man i cant write about it without spoilers so here we go

fist and formos of all i have to sat that the STREET JUSTICE
of this focking movie is so loving good gently caress thiss stupid loving pedophioe killer sack of poo poo gently caress HIM TO DEATH\

this movie tries to mkaer him out as asymphaththic killer but gently caress HIM gently caress PETER LORREE gently caress YOU YOU KILLED KIDS DIE MOTHERFUCKER!!!! DIOE DIE DIE DI!!!!!!

so yeah in short uhhh
goood movie but fuick peter loreew lol

hes a dick and he killed kids and morew too

9/10
drunk rating
gently caress you gently caress you fgukc you

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

lmao. drunk reviews should be mandatory here

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Nostradingus posted:

lmao. drunk reviews should be mandatory here

STILL DRUNK
but ill say this
so many of the shots are so good
like uhhh
the uh
well one i can name off the top of my head is when one of the speakeasy people are looking for escape in the resulting police raid
the guy looking up through his secret hideyhole and seeing the boots of a policeman in the grating up above him so good

and then at the beginning when the lady is looking for her missing daughter first off the anxitety is PALPABLE
but also the shots of the staircase looking down offer such a d espondant and futile outlook that you know her daughter has been tied up with the killer
its so hosed up
this movie is so hosed up\
but thats what makes it good

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

M.

Holy poo poo. I loved it, the cinematography is simple but direct in a very powerful way. I was shocked to recognize so many contemporary crime procedural story beats in a film from 1931. You can tell they had really complex ideas while filming that were totally betrayed by the technology at the time. I loved the trolley shot through the window that felt like a disneyland ride lol. Also, in spite of its simplicity every character is distinct has their own little style of performance, even minor characters feel totally realized which made the whole thing incredibly engaging. I had never heard of this, thanks so much for the pick. 5/5 Movie club ftw

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

starbarry clock posted:

okay so i will start ths posdt with with that im really really drunkl

holy poo poo is m a great movie

man i cant write about it without spoilers so here we go

fist and formos of all i have to sat that the STREET JUSTICE
of this focking movie is so loving good gently caress thiss stupid loving pedophioe killer sack of poo poo gently caress HIM TO DEATH\

this movie tries to mkaer him out as asymphaththic killer but gently caress HIM gently caress PETER LORREE gently caress YOU YOU KILLED KIDS DIE MOTHERFUCKER!!!! DIOE DIE DIE DI!!!!!!

so yeah in short uhhh
goood movie but fuick peter loreew lol

hes a dick and he killed kids and morew too

9/10
drunk rating
gently caress you gently caress you fgukc you
I read this thinking you were talking about wheels on meals and got really confused because it almost makes sense for a bit

anyway, Wheels on Meals

It's really interesting on a sort of meta level as being about these Chinese kung ku movie superheros driving their van out to other countries and trying to extend their influence and encountering really fun culture shock in the process (the ridiculous gross homeless people tunnel felt kinda unnecessary though). It feels like it has no concern for maintaining any kind of consistent tone or anything, the main characters have no idea where they're going and as a result neither do we. It reminds me of what I like about an anime like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure where you can just jump freely between really goofy nonsense and then absurdly intricate action and it's taken totally seriously; it doesn't fit into other genre descriptions, it just is its own genre in a way. I loved this, and it's frustrating that its bad dub relegated it into an awkward historical space... like I think that's the only reason I hadn't seen it until now.

There really is something magical about those moments where Jackie Chan's best movies suddenly cross from slapstick comedy into people getting hit harder than you've ever seen someone hit before and falling multiple stories etc. They just get me hyped

copy
Jul 26, 2007

gang leaders creating the beggar sect lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

M: i havent seen many movies from this time period and don't have much background in cinema history so i din't really know what to expect from a film that was made nearly a century ago. overall a really interesting movie. idk if the great silence of it was like a stylistic choice or a limitation but it honestly worked really well for it. made things feel isolated and weird. the scene where it's cutting abck and forth between the gang leaders and the police talking about what they need to do was pretty cool, and the trial was wild. 3.5/5

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

italians need to love like chinese need to work

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what next movie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

weird weekend, post it today

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

time up for wheels on meals btw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Big Trouble in Little China
Courtesy of Stone Cold 64

A rough-and-tumble trucker and his side kick face off with an ancient sorcerer in a supernatural battle beneath Chinatown.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592EiTD2Hgo

Director: John Carpenter
Writer: Gary Goldman, David Z. Weinstein, W.D. Richter
Stars: Kurt Russell, Kim Cattrall, Dennis Dun

Available On: AMC+, archive.org: https://archive.org/details/bigtroubleinlittlechina1986kurtrussell

Available From: 3/4 - 3/18

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 6, 2024

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

good pick. M month continues

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

good pick. M month continues

they just call that march

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
M

hmm... time to be the contrarian :frogbon:
i think the movie looks real nice and has cool rear end shots
was having a good time w/ the movie in the first hour or so, but it really lost me halfway through when it started being done from the perspective of the killer and the ppl going after him. kind of reminds me of le samourai in that way but this is a much worse drop off than that was
the office search dragged on for too long
i just lost all interest in when the cops were interrogating that mafia dude for some reason
also, is it just me or is the movie trying to get me to kind of symphatize/emphatize w/ the child killer? idk, it felt like it was trying hard to do it w/ all the ACTING going on and him being the victim of mob justice w/ a bunch of no good criminals but it didnt succeed at all so it was just verily awkward
the finale doesnt resonate w/ me at all and the very ending w/ the womans message made me roll my eyes, sry. guess i dont live in the context that makes me see this as a masterpiece
score might be a bit harsh. i dont think the movie is terrible and its interesting, but the whole last hour of the movie had me in apathy.
2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
im all for more movies of this type being picked. i just didnt like this one

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

i just lost all interest in when the cops were interrogating that mafia dude for some reason

yeah not sure why the cops would interrogate someone they found spelunking through the floor of a building with three unconscious watchmen and a bunch of busted locks

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i lost interest for some reason

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the reason

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fucker posted:

M

was having a good time w/ the movie in the first hour or so, but it really lost me halfway through when it started being done from the perspective of the killer and the ppl going after him. kind of reminds me of le samourai in that way but this is a much worse drop off than that was
also, is it just me or is the movie trying to get me to kind of symphatize/emphatize w/ the child killer? idk, it felt like it was trying hard to do it w/ all the ACTING going on and him being the victim of mob justice w/ a bunch of no good criminals but it didnt succeed at all so it was just verily awkward
the finale doesnt resonate w/ me at all and the very ending w/ the womans message made me roll my eyes, sry. guess i dont live in the context that makes me see this as a masterpiece
score might be a bit harsh. i dont think the movie is terrible and its interesting, but the whole last hour of the movie had me in apathy.
2/5

its more about street justice vs due process during the faux court hearing

its about how people feel vs the ridgity of law and how the law doesnt always serve the people more than trying to paint a child murderer in a positive light

that was my takeaway as somebody who was interested in the movie the whole way through as inebriated as i was :santahurr:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

M

loved it. so many incredible scenes, so many incredible shots, basically invented an entire genre of movie. that incredible sequence at th start where beckert corners the little girl and then all the little shots of the ways you know she isnt coming home, just unbelievable. th thing that gets me is that theres no sympathy for anyone in the movie except the mom who lost her daughter and maybe beckert. fritz lang fuckin hated germany in the 30s, or at least the state. shot after shot made th police look no better than the criminals, just ugly and covered with cigar smoke or brandy, or that incredible scene where th police commission and the criminals are holding meetings and they keep cutting back and forth and you cant tell a bit of difference between em. all the mob justice scenes too, the one where the guy giving directions to the girl almost gets torn apart, even th trial at the end, all the people getting so lost in the moment that you can see em become part of the mob. incredible. th parts where theyre meticulously showing all th ways the police and the criminals are tryin to find him are kind of dead air, but hell, its the movie that invented this kind of cinematic language. that said, th scene where the criminals are cornering beckert in the building and slowly converging on him is incredible, th suspense and the way he's finally caught in a corner like a rat, so fuckin cool

peter lorre is th best part of the movie, zero question. until the end he gets maybe 15 lines and ten minutes on screen, but hes a bug-eyed creep whos tryin to look human and fit in and its just not working. all his faces are incredible, and then you get to th trial and that big speech and its just unreal how good it is. it pulls that trick that i love where you almost sympathize with this poor incredibly sick man whos gonna get torn apart by the mob, and then you remember he killed eight kids so brutally th police wont even talk about it. i loved th shots of a couple people in the crowd nodding along with his speech because they fell for it. incredible filmmaking.

★★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

M

2/5

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

starbarry clock posted:

its more about street justice vs due process during the faux court hearing

its about how people feel vs the ridgity of law and how the law doesnt always serve the people more than trying to paint a child murderer in a positive light

that was my takeaway as somebody who was interested in the movie the whole way through as inebriated as i was :santahurr:

i think he absolutely was tryin to make you feel sympathy for beckert, but its so that you cn realize you're doing it and feel horrified. this isnt a good guy but hes very very sick and his lawyers not wrong that he shouldnt get torn apart by this filthy angry mob, but then you remember he butchered eight kids. fuckin cool trick tbh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

yeah that's 100% what happened w/ me when i was watching that scene, just that flashbang revelation of "he's so mentally hosed that he can't help it but he's still a horrible person, he's right that you can't ever know how it feels to be him but he still needs to go away forever." incredible scene from start to finish

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

management is aware that marathon man is only available to stream on hoopla or rent and were lookin into it. god streaming services suck

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fungah! posted:

i think he absolutely was tryin to make you feel sympathy for beckert, but its so that you cn realize you're doing it and feel horrified. this isnt a good guy but hes very very sick and his lawyers not wrong that he shouldnt get torn apart by this filthy angry mob, but then you remember he butchered eight kids. fuckin cool trick tbh

i didnt feel any sympathy for him seems like a skill issue :santahurr:

but uh you underlined my point with the last half of your post that the fact that he is insane and unable to control himself holds no water when the community and families of the victims are your judge jury and executioner

the whole scene is pretty much saying that the real court system is flawed and WOULD allow a defense to paint the defendant in a sympathetic light(or at least attempt it lol looks like it worked on you suckers!) and try for an insanity plea but that wouldnt make the mothers of the slain children feel any better nor would it heal the damage caused to community

especially when he could later be released after serving his term or possibly even less if defined as "cured" by his doctors to potentially do it all again

i guess i see it more as a failed attempt to garner sympathy and not a sincere one and i dont think the scene is trying too hard to make the serial killer look good the defense is trying its rear end off to get him off the hook or at least survive to go into a real court

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i guess my tl;dr is while attempts at sympathy are utilized i dont think its the directors intention to make the audience feel sympathy as the POINT of the whole scene

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

maybe justification is a better term to use than sympathy, at least when comparing him to the kangaroo court of criminals. Beckert basically says as much during his monologue that the other criminals are just lazy, lookin for an easy way to make money, etc and while that's probably true for some of em but not all i think the intended effect was to make you stop for a minute and go "wait a minute he's right, they can help it but he can't." obvs don't want to give the brutal child murderer much credit but i think Lang did well enough to toe a line between Beckert being a one-dimensional bloodthirsty killer and making the audience shed tears for him

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SidM6lpXsyE

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Nice pivot

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I read it as one last chance to make the audience dread that he is somehow going to get out of it. They spend all that time capturing him and then the lawyer is like "whatever man you're hosed, I'll do my best" but then actually defends him and even gets a few people agreeing. I was just sitting there watching in disbelief like no, noooooo!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't think Beckert being sympathetic is a trick the director plays on you the way it is in Lolita. Lang did a lot of research into mentally ill killers and it does a lot to humanize Beckert. He's real in a way that most movie villains aren't.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
yeah, a real piece of poo poo

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Courtesy of Stone Cold 64

A rough-and-tumble trucker and his side kick face off with an ancient sorcerer in a supernatural battle beneath Chinatown.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592EiTD2Hgo

Director: John Carpenter
Writer: Gary Goldman, David Z. Weinstein, W.D. Richter
Stars: Kurt Russell, Kim Cattrall, Dennis Dun

Available On: AMC+, archive.org: https://archive.org/details/bigtroubleinlittlechina1986kurtrussell

Available From: 3/4 - 3/18

lol hell yeah

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fucker posted:

yeah, a real piece of poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Get fuckin ready

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

M - 4/5

Was excited to finally watch this movie as it’s been on my radar for something Iike a decade and it did not disappoint.

Lots of things stuck with me - the sad, empty shots of the stairway, the killer’s bug eyed freakishness, police/criminal mtg counterpose, the capture - but most of all this movie is chock full of various flavors of blowhard all thinking they’re doing the right thing with various levels of sincerity. And they are, the guy’s a monster who needs to be stopped, but everyone except the families (the “mothers” the movie focuses on at the end) and the victims has got some skin in the game, whether it’s the the state as seen through the police and politicians, the mob propelled by fear and hatred, or criminals trying on some level to get the police to gently caress off.

The third quarter drags a bit but in all other sections it’s a compelling movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

john carpenter does not miss
cheesy acting but in a good way, great special effects, some rly good comedy here and there and just a pretty sick movie in general
the best gag is just how little kurt russell does in the entire movie. hes rly the secret lovable funny sidekick instead of the main character. the actual main characters are his friend wang and the old magic man
tbh the rating im giving it is not so much from this time i watched it, but from when i watched it the first time. the movie is much more effective when u go in having no idea what its ab besides it being an action movie set in chinatown. the plot is perfect chaos and it knows just when and how to escalate
4/5