Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
This shoudl definitely be the main thread for F1 and we should split off the race talk to some other thread, stick it in i dunno FYAD or somewhere that no one reads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
If I was the head of F1 I would give a life time ban to F1.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm basically treating this thread as the Off-Season thread part 2.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i dont believe any of these stories

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The only thing we should believe in is ourselves.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

whatever happens i hope it causes red bull to implode

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Sounds like the Red Bull team have put the sport of Grand Prix Motor Racing into disrepute, and all their employees should be arrested immediately.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What was the Ford engine deal anyways? They slapping a sticker onto the Honda design that RB was supposed to take over?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why doesn't bang have a f1 car

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
has anyone ever said "martin grundle"

e: well there we go

e2: vvvvvvv lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the milk machine posted:

has anyone ever said "martin grundle"

the milk machine posted:

i decided to put on a race today while i "worked" and randomly ended up on the 94 japanese gp at suzuka (seems like f1tv doesn't want to show the really bad races from 94)

it's pouring rain from the get go; at one point it starts hailing and they let them keep racing

martin grundle spins off the track and hits a marshal working to clear another wreck, causing the marshal to fly through the air. they never mention the marshal or ask whether he was ok, even while they show the replay over and over

katayama spins out on the main straight and hits the pit wall. they pull him out of the car and he can't walk or put weight on at least one foot and the cameras show them helping him hobble back to the pits. i feel like there's no way they'd put that on tv now

wild stuff, some really good racing near the end though

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

In your defense, I have absolutely no recollection of 2021.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

wicka posted:

absolutely no recollection of 2021.

:hfive:

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

2021 was the year motor racing died and motor drama began

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Colostomy Bag posted:

What was the Ford engine deal anyways? They slapping a sticker onto the Honda design that RB was supposed to take over?
Going by memory:
2020/2021: Honda does a Honda and wants to leave F1 right when they are near the top. Redbull doesn't want to be a customer again so they start Redbull Powertrains (RBPT), to take over (and develop) the current Honda engine.
2022: Engine freeze takes hold due to new engine formula in 2026. Still stuff like Reliability and stuff allowed, just no full on development. Redbull uses the current Honda engine as RBPT. Later in the year Honda decides they don't like getting 0 credit or whatever, and the engine name goes to RBPT-Honda but Honda keeps the designs/rights iirc.
2023: RBPT starts making own 2026 engine but wants a partner. Porsche tries to get into F1 through Redbull wanting to take over/share RBPT and RBR team, the deal falls through. Redbull makes deal with Ford. RBPT-Ford engine for 2026, Ford seemingly involved on the electric side.
Also 2023: Honda changed their mind and wanted to stay in F1, but it was too late to stay/get back with Redbull. They will be the engine for Aston Martin in 2026.

TL;DR for 2026 engines:
Mercedes: Merc, Williams, McLaren
Ferrari: Ferrari, Haas
RBPT-Ford: RedbullRacing, The other RB
Honda: Aston Martin
Renault: Alpine
Audi: Audi(Sauber)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 5, 2024

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My 8 bay NAS has been delayed due to an undisclosed mechanical issue according to purolator.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SocksAndSandals posted:

2021 was the year motor racing died and motor drama began

I will never forget the crime of 2021, it was a tragedy on the scale of the 1927 floods and it likewise deserved folk songs written about it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony quidprano posted:

My 8 bay NAS has been delayed due to an undisclosed mechanical issue according to purolator.

This is a deeply confusing post for Americans

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

wicka posted:

This is a deeply confusing post for Americans

Yeah but why would Americans want to visit the F1 thread

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sunk Dunk posted:

i dont believe any of these stories

Same. Until something happens nothing has happened but it's fun to speculate there's no getting around that.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
release the second email

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I will never forget the crime of 2021, it was a tragedy on the scale of the 1927 floods and it likewise deserved folk songs written about it

If Gordon Lightfoot was alive there’d be drunks doing karaoke to it right now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

To root for Logan Sargeant, of course

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toto? It's called a motor race.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

If we keep on racing, Masi’s going to break

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
congrats to gerhard on getting his cool-rear end car back 30 years later
https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1764696219215933513

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

hifi posted:

why doesn't bang have a f1 car

Setting a reminder for myself to come back in six months and reply to this with “they do, it’s [team that’s gone through the most engines this year]”

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Because it is the best thread. It's also the only way any sane person should "watch" F1.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

In much the same way as how waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounds awesome if you don't know what either of those things are, yes.

Bit late, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFxhfp5hoCI

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

So I was curious and looked deeper into the Ricciardo-Tsunoda situation in Bahrain, and my big takeaway mirrors basically what I thought at the end of last season: Honda must be cutting Red Bull an awfully large check to make this poo poo worthwhile for them.

- Before the last pit rotation Yuki had about a 6 second lead on KMag
- KMag undercut Yuki
- Yuki had an abysmal in lap, followed by an equally bad out lap, then got passed on track by KMag the next lap.
- Yuki couldn't retake the position and spent something like 15 laps getting held up by the Haas.
- Meanwhile Ricciardo was quite some distance back from Yuki before all of this, but put on softs on his last stop.
- Ricciardo was gaining about a second a lap on Zhou, and about .7s a lap on Yuki/KMag after his stop. Pace wise, at the closing stages of the race he was running pretty similar lap times as Oscar Piastri.
- The TV broadcast picked up the battle about a dozen laps in as Ricciardo was closing in on Tsunoda. So Yuki had quite a bit of time to take the battle to the Haas before getting told to swap positions.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if the bin australian was faster he could have passed yuki on track

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Pray for Fast Heikki!

https://www.iltalehti.fi/formulat/a/a0009f80-21a8-4e2a-8edb-82ac0c7b5350

quote:

Paraphrasing into English: Kovalainen was diagnosed with a dilatation of the ascending aorta some months ago as part of an extended health check-up. He had to stop racing and other heavy physical activities. The article states that, 'Kovalainen and doctors are leaning towards open-heart surgery. It carries its own high risks. For example, the heart is stopped during the multi-hour operation.'

Kovalainen is hoping to continue his racing career after the operation if it goes ahead, and encourages everyone to check on themselves, as underlying things found early can usually be treated.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

Do you get the world's most retarded AI help you write this drivel. A senior barrister and associated law firm have concluded that there's nothing to see here but apparently you, other journos bereft of a moral compass plus the likes of verstappen sr, Wolff and Brown know better...which is ironic since it looks to me like a self-interest group with no moral compass.

Ban Jos verstappen, it will do Max a favour.

You seem to have overlooked the fact that the person who originally supplied the screenshots would also have copies...so look there and look at who had access to all the email addresses as I don't and nor do the overwhelming majority.

Before you get into idle speculation you should ascertain if the content is accurate and the only way to do that is to have access to the data on both devices....just because she has a contact with a photo of CH doesn't mean it's him.

You also seem incapable of considering that she is anything from a lazy, incompetent employee that chose to work in a high pressure environment and got shouted at (fair enough) to a scheming psychopath who sought to find riches by whatever means possible

I genuinely do not get how anybody thinks the legal profession are in any way arbiters of the truth. A barrister is literally paid by you to argue your case, regardless of its veracity.

But we already knew how highly regarded motorsports.com comment posters are.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Geez I hope he ends up alright

Theophany posted:

I genuinely do not get how anybody thinks the legal profession are in any way arbiters of the truth. A barrister is literally paid by you to argue your case, regardless of its veracity.

But we already knew how highly regarded motorsports.com comment posters are.

Makes me think of the wire when they do the polygraph test and the cop asks along the lines of "what do the test results say" and the response is "what do you want them to say"?

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

lol

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Joe's Award just posted this.

quote:

There have been rumours for a while that Red Bull’s primary shareholder Chalerm Yoovidhya, who controls 51 percent of the shares, is considering taking the Red Bull Technology Group Ltd out of Red Bull GmbH empire and setting it up as an independent car company, with Horner in charge and a shareholder in the business. This makes a great deal of sense because a drinks firm does not really have much use for an engine company and a supercar production division. If Yoovidhya has 51 percent of the shares, he can do as he pleases. Removing Horner would leave the technology division under the control of Red Bull GmbH. Whatever the case, Horner wants to be left alone to run the group he has created, without outside interference. When Dietrich Mateschitz was alive he had that freedom.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Custard Undies posted:

Joe's Award just posted this.

Does "running the group he created" include being a grotty little sex pest toward subordinates?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh no :smith:

Theophany posted:

Does "running the group he created" include being a grotty little sex pest toward subordinates?

I believe that is how many CEOs run "their" companies

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Really loving the most extreme example of Great-man-theory (only overshadowed by elon sycophants) that the entire RB racing team would crumble without Horner there...

a really generous reading would be other key people (Newey) leaving if Horner leaves but that's just incidental...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Zedd posted:

Going by memory:

Thank you.