Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1764721423178682641

Film studios always chase trends, so what unfilmable scif/fantasy epics would you like to see Hollywood drop $250m on? Gene Wolfe estate's phone is blowing up.

Lord of Light. Or Isle of the Dead. Night in the Lonesome October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Imagine the message boards and tines of A Fire Upon the Deep

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Just do embassytown, go fully weird

mewse
May 2, 2006

zoux posted:

Film studios always chase trends, so what unfilmable scif/fantasy epics would you like to see Hollywood drop $250m on? Gene Wolfe estate's phone is blowing up.

My mind does boggle that good adaptations of Dune and Shogun are both coming out right now.

I want a good adaptation of Neuromancer. Apple TV are working on one but it might disappoint.

Sanderson stuff is ripe for adaptation, Mistborn era 1 is a completed trilogy.

Any Robin Hobb trilogy.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lord of Light. Or Isle of the Dead. Night in the Lonesome October.

Lord of Light would rule, but I will support this only if they do the Jack Kirby designs. I refuse to support the Dune Movie-ification of one of the most stylish sci-fi novels ever, where in TYOOL 2024 they're somehow making the far future look boring.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 5, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kestral posted:

Lord of Light would rule, but I will support this only if they do the Jack Kirby designs. I refuse to support the Dune Movie-ification of one of the most stylish sci-fi novels ever, where in TYOOL 2024 they're somehow making the far future look boring.

"Jack Kirby Lord of Light" is one of the pro-est image searches you can do.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

mllaneza posted:

"Jack Kirby Lord of Light" is one of the pro-est image searches you can do.

It really, really is.

I would also accept Jubjubjedi's versions.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

mewse posted:

I want a good adaptation of Neuromancer. Apple TV are working on one but it might disappoint.

I really love that stuff, the Sprawl shorts, I'm in the middle of Neuromancer right now. I was just thinking the other day how I think maybe it wouldn't be great on film. Like when he describes that guy Angelo on page 59, who looks a bit like a shark, and lots of talk of grafts and these wild faces etc. To me it's almost written like we're not supposed to see it. How cheesy might it be if we did see everything described? By that I mean, the writing sells it like a pulpy world where this is commonplace. An effects heavy movie rendering these characters might have a very different vibe.

Also, kind of like with Chandler, the tight narration and the writing in general, that hard boiled stuff and the beauty of the language. It would all be left out of an adaptation right? So, I'm sure there could be a cool movie/show that happens to be a loose adaptation of Neuromancer, but it doesn't seem like one that jumps out as a great candidate artistically to me. It's in the medium that best suits it I think.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 5, 2024

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

zoux posted:

I'd pay good money to see a studio gently caress up Startide Rising.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

I really love that stuff, the Sprawl shorts, I'm in the middle of Neuromancer right now. I was just thinking the other day how I think maybe it wouldn't be great on film. Like when he describes that guy Angelo on page 59, who looks a bit like a shark, and lots of talk of grafts and these wild faces etc. To me it's almost written like we're not supposed to see it. How cheesy might it be if it we did see everything described? By that I mean, the writing sells it like a pulpy world where this is commonplace. An effects heavy movie rendering these characters might have a very different vibe.

Also, kind of like with Chandler, the tight narration and the writing in general, that hard boiled stuff and the beauty of the language. It would all be left out of an adaptation right? So, I'm sure there could be a cool movie that happens to be a loose adaptation of Neuromancer, but it doesn't seem like one that jumps out as a great candidate artistically to me. It's in the medium that best suits it I think.

So I never saw Johnny Mnemonic until recently and I had a really weird feeling because I could see in the writing that there was a story I would really enjoy, it was just surrounded by so much total garbage acting and set design, and costume design, and everything else that goes into a film.

I was sort of stunned at how completely they could take a good story and ruin it. And that's what we saw repeatedly with the Dune adaptations before Villeneuve took it on - either the production team lacked skill, or they lacked the budget, or they were just missing something to bring the story faithfully to the screen in a way that would resonate with the viewer. And there's so much stuff in the Dune universe that can look goofy, the ornithopters are helicopters with dragonfly wings but Villeneuve was able to get them looking plausible. The stillsuits were comically bad in the Lynch adaptation. Etc etc etc.

So like the argument that something is "unfilmable" has been fairly conclusively proven wrong by this Dune adaptation destroying the box office. It needs the right production team and budget etc but anything is possible. Neuromancer is really a heist story at its bones, just with a healthy serving of noir techno dystopia.

All this being said I already have the feeling that the upcoming Murderbot adaptation is going to be dogshit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I know it's all subjective, and for sure a loose adaptation losing a lot of details might be a cool thing as its own work. I was just sharing how I kinda feel these characters looks might be better in imagination, for the tone intended, I dunno.

That said, I think the aesthetics of David Lynch's Dune are great, and I agree with that other poster, I find the look of the new Dune (pt 1) to be pretty uninteresting. But that's all just taste of course. To me this Dune feels very I guess Nolan-y, what is currently considered cool. But I just don't happen to find this current cool to be cool, oh well for me, but I'll still give part 2 a try. Very "bweeeeeeow" trailer sound kind of movie, y'know post Inception kind of trying to be cool thing. Well hey the people dig it, just not my thing I guess. Luck of the draw what director and what vibe a thing will go for.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Even as much as I've enjoyed the Villeneuve Dune movies, I'm still skeptical about the upcoming HBO Max series about the origin of the Bene Gesserit.

But I'd absolutely love Villeneuve doing Messiah and Children, give us the god emperor!!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Villeneuve being a huge Dune fan is cool, he was apparently storyboarding the movie in the 80s as a personal project. Don't know if that was before or after the Lynch adaption. Probably never expected to be able to actually make one of his own.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

zoux posted:

If you think there isn't a starship troopers remake in the works you're crazy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RDM posted:

If you think there isn't a starship troopers remake in the works you're crazy.

the funniest starship troopers remake would be one that adapts the source material non-ironically and bombs like morbius, then gets re-released and bombs again like morbius

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I remember how pained I felt when I found out that the Culture adaptation had fallen through.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

This is one of the two reasons why the only people I've seen write good steampunk (present company excepted to the extent such terms may apply) have been China mieville and Michael swanwyck. They both realize it should be fantasy not science fiction. (The other reason is they both realize you can't write Victorian fiction without tackling issues of social class, capitalism, and imperialism head on).

Can you throw in a recommend? i remember reading vacuum flowers years ago but no steampunk, like you i haven't found much steampunk that is satisfying and am keen try something better

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Doktor Avalanche posted:

robert jackson bennett's new book (first in a series) is out

trip report: i really liked it. bit of murder mystery, bit of body horror, bit of widescale corruption in an empire falling apart. i liked it more the city of stairs

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

zoux posted:

blindsight, but the script is written by joss whedon

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

The Night Land.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
A Neuromancer adaptation would require a leading man that looked like a short speedfreak to work, good luck, Iggy Pop aged out and never had the chops. Although after Dunc2 and the preview for that tennis movie I’m starting to think that Zendaya could work as Molly. Any Hollywood insiders know if Jordan Peele’s adaptation went anyplace? I know (read or was told or made up) that the Get Out character was named Wintermute in tribute.

Stainless Steel Rat is just about a perfect series that could go on forever on a constantly diminishing budget, just like the books kept going with less effort and attention by the author. This is not a joke I really believe it.

redleader posted:

Quit posting.
Because you won at posting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If we're doing steampunk, Tim Powers would own. Maybe The Anubis Gates?

And whichever James Blaylock had the itinerant squid-seller.

Both Powers and Blaylock were weird, in a way that a lot of modern steampunk doesn't achieve.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

zoux posted:

Culture series. Player of the Games could be almost filmable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

redleader posted:

Imagine being Siri Keaton. Well, that just happened.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
They're in my blind spot, aren't they?

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

branedotorg posted:

trip report: i really liked it. bit of murder mystery, bit of body horror, bit of widescale corruption in an empire falling apart. i liked it more the city of stairs

If you fancy an alternate history version of this, I just finished Francis Spufford's Cahokia Jazz and it's excellent. The basic plot is a murder investigation set in 1922 in an America where smallpox didn't devastate the indigenous people before the Europeans started to arrive in large numbers, in a majority indigenous city on the Mississippi. I won't give you any plot spoilers, but there's a brief appearance from Ursula le Guin's father in his role as an anthropologist, too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

branedotorg posted:

Can you throw in a recommend? i remember reading vacuum flowers years ago but no steampunk, like you i haven't found much steampunk that is satisfying and am keen try something better

Iron Dragon's Daughter. Only parts of the book are good, but those parts are good enough.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If we’re talking unfilmable, let David Lynch make God-Emperor of Dune. It’s the Dune movie he was supposed to make.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kalman posted:

The Night Land.

But only the frame narrative, everything else is shot but then shitcanned by zaslav as a tax write off.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The stars my destination is the correct answer for sf novels that are ripe for movie adaptation.
Everything else seems more doable in a series format, especially The Culture books.
Lord of light would be bonkers, I just don’t think movie cgi could do the visuals justice, needs to be animation.get the guys who did season one of one punch man.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't think Dune part two was as good as part one. It feels like more of an action movie, it's a lot messier, and it's too long. Zendaya is terrible; I don't get her deal, is she a singer or something?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

But only the frame narrative, everything else is shot but then shitcanned by zaslav as a tax write off.

Don’t you put a cursed idea like this out into the world, Hieronymous :argh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Villeneuve Dune films are good but let's not pretend they didn't get around the books being "unfilmable" by cutting out anything that could be called "unfilmable".

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

PriorMarcus posted:

The Villeneuve Dune films are good but let's not pretend they didn't get around the books being "unfilmable" by cutting out anything that could be called "unfilmable".

That's true but then the achievement is in doing this and still producing a coherent film while still conveying the feel of the things that were cut. I think they do a good job of the former but they do smooth off the edges a bit too much

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
People gave the original Dune endless poo poo for having a rushed ending, but when this movie does the exact same thing it's suddenly fine?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thotsky posted:

People gave the original Dune endless poo poo for having a rushed ending, but when this movie does the exact same thing it's suddenly fine?

og dune movie was extremely bad i feel like i'm being gaslit

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hell, I would have said the Foundation trilogy was unfilmable given how much of Asimov's work is just people standing around talking.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Selachian posted:

Hell, I would have said the Foundation trilogy was unfilmable given how much of Asimov's work is just people standing around talking.

I've not watched it but I get the impression they solved the unfilmability problem by making a nearly unrelated series with some shared names and calling it Foundation

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

sebmojo posted:

og dune movie was extremely bad i feel like i'm being gaslit

unironically one of my favorite movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've not watched it but I get the impression they solved the unfilmability problem by making a nearly unrelated series with some shared names and calling it Foundation

This is broadly true, Lee pace carries the whole thing on his back, with a little help from Jared Harris and Laura Birn, who are both good.season one is a bit of a mess but you can see every dollar on screen, season 2 is more focused but still a slog in parts.still a better show than halo!