Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Cooked Auto posted:

Or whatever that Fallout MLP fanfic was called.

The WHAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eeeeyup.

It was Fallout Equestria I was thinking of, and oh gently caress me it has a wiki page.

Turns out the word page for that one is 620,000 words going by another google search.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Ahh I remember when I first heard about that fanfic. I just kinda laughed at the crossover a bit before going "...wait its HOW LONG?!?"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

longer than War and Peace (a book so infamously big that it's a subject of a Peanuts story arc on it's length)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I dunno if this is a derail we want to have in this thread.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Or anywhere else, really.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yeah to really jump the rails I gotta mention the Killing Floor x MLP crossover fic that got written with relative seriousness for both subject matters.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Evil Kit posted:

Yeah to really jump the rails I gotta mention the Killing Floor x MLP crossover fic that got written with relative seriousness for both subject matters.

EK, I'm glad you enjoy your character so much but too much of a good thing ruins it, you know.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

KobunFan posted:

EK, I'm glad you enjoy your character so much but too much of a good thing ruins it, you know.

who said it was a character bit? :v:

I had to read it to help an acquaintance out, so I at least get to inflict the idea of it on others. It wasn't actually that bad.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Hey, come to think of it… from the perspective of the current Myo, she’s always been the survivor, right? Assuming her memories are forked off of/backed up from the last Myo that bit it in the field, that is.

Like:
1. 1000 Myos go into the foRtnite corp arena, and only #51 comes out
2. #51 goes out and does missions or whatever, dies
3. #51’s memories form the basis for the next batch
4. 1000 Myos go into the foRtnite corp arena, only #43 leaves

…From the perspective of Myo 43, she was also Myo 51, victor in the last arena, Right? And also the winners of every battle royale before that, because she doesn’t have the loser’s memories, just the winner’s.

Of course, that’s assuming they aren’t using a super old backup to hatch their Myos.

BassMug fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 22, 2024

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Yeah, at best guess that's the iterative strategy for R Corp in improving their stock. Working off of what you already know works is only good sense.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Unless you end up creating overspecialized individuals which are really fit for a particular set of circumstances, like killing Myos, but completely useless in any other circumstances. Kinda like one of those animals that only eats very specific foods, or only survive in some weird climate or incredibly rare ecological niche. Which I suppose is still better than some weird hosed up mishmash of everything under the sun like the duck-billed platypus. Mammal? Yeah. Eggs? Sure. Venomous? Why not. Duck bill? It's literally in the name. Electrolocation? You betcha. Clearly nature needs to learn there's such a thing as too much. And that sometimes you need to admit you've made mistakes and fix them.

Anyways, I'm guessing the kind of culling Myo and company were threatened with if they failed, and which I guess is currently underway, is probably how R Corp deals with evolutionary dead ends. Like the duck-billed platypus. Weird loving things but at least they're not tarsiers.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
And presumably they would tweak the Mios a bit each time so that you're not facing 1,000 identical clones. Otherwise there's very little advantage to the process other than getting in some extremely harsh training.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Probably they start out with different weapons and equipment. R-Corp plays Roguelikes a lot with their employees.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The implication I got from the scenes is that the cloning process already results in deviation. Whether or not that's deliberate isn't really clear, but the Myo's have different bents to them.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given you see twin studies while many twins end up with a lot similar tastes, there's enough deviance in terms of personality and careers. There's no reason why it wouldn't be different with Clones

weird goat
Sep 10, 2022
its been over a year since i checked in with the thread last, and i decided to check up on it for old time's sake. was having wistful thoughts about the games...
we've finally been declared higher than the highest threat level. its time for the end to finally begin.
this truly libraries my ruinas.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 47: Prologue, Small Story 3

VIDEO

"The Street," Yun Dong-ju.

Music: Lobby

I’ve been feeling ecstatic these days; the memories are fading.

You mean the harsh memories of working in that awful corporation?

Yes. Those cruel times…

The things I didn’t want to see are becoming faint; the things I didn’t want to remember are melting away. When I close my eyes, the moments that come to remembrance are of three or four days ago, not one million years in the past.

They are the times of my own… claimed through my own choice. And the flow of time is faster than ever for me. I’m no longer shackled to the fetter of perceiving the hours 100 times slower than humans do.

I feel happier with each new day, you know?

I’ve never seen you looking so happy before. What do you think of the City and its people that are breaking down because of the Distortion, though?

…That, I can’t quite receive with a smile.

Still, the despicable man who had locked me up for one million years would fall to despair if he saw what’s happening now.

Yes… He’ll endlessly despair. His idiotic and flawed plan caused more people to wallow in agony.

He’s going to pay his price in full soon enough.

Bring down? No. I told you my aim before. I will become free along with the librarians.

On top of that, the Abnormalities that are wandering inside this Library lacking a physical form will be able to leave. Garnering strength by devouring powerful individuals, the Abnormalities would roam the City as they like. That’s what my plan is. I’m setting them free to do whatever they want. And they’ll leave a mark deeper than any Distortion could on the City. The one absolute and perfect book shall be the guide to teach me how to do it all.

You’ve got the same ideas as the Blue Sicko out there, huh. The two of you would make wonderful partners in crime.

You’re wrong. There’s a world of difference. I have no interest in the “beauty” that Distortions or Abnormalities can arouse. I simply want them to live as they wish, whether they’re beautiful or unsightly.

Besides, even if the Blue Reverberation’s intentions were similar to mine, I would never give away my precious possession to a man like that.

So you just wanna feel the joy of vengeance, whatever the consequences of your actions might be.

That’s what I must do. I was forced to witness countless deaths while reciting a script like a promptress. Such things… are all I could watch and learn. I have to do what I can do well.

I have to feel joy as I witness the fall of the plan devised by the man I love yet hate. Even though it’s not… enjoyable to see the City and its people suffer because of me… I still have to feel happy. I’m obliged to. It’s what I’ve been waiting for… until now… If I don’t do this, I won’t be compensated for the million years of lone suffering—nowhere else would I be repaid…

…I still long for vengeance. However…

Forget it. I could spend all day thinking it over, but I’d reach the same conclusion regardless. I’ll find the one book at all costs and make my wish come true.

I suppose that’s not a bad idea.

And then… As I previously said, I want to travel around the world. It’ll certainly be fun. Once I’ve laid down all the burdens, of course.

…Alright. Let’s give that plan some good thought after we’re done with everything.

Haa… hahaa… at laast..!

Yesod! Hurry! There's a sighting!

Kaori. You've finished with that perfect deck project of yours, I take it?

Weell… sort oof..? There are aalways considerations to make, so there is no 'perfect deeck,' so much as synergies and streengths that maximize odds of viictoryy…

So are our synergies maximized?

Mmmhmm..! I've packed as muuch power as I can into every one of my buiilds..! They're fiinally… acceeptablee…

Hold on. Did anyone else just feel that shift in the psionic field just now?

…Mmmmmmmh..!

Is that… steam?

……………………Daaang… :sigh:

I'm sure that what you've put together is already perfectly usable.

Yeaah, but… the synergiies..!

Will work just fine until you've had a stretch break. You're getting some air. That's an order.

Awww… Ookaay…

Despite being a relatively short chapter compared to the rest of the game, Impuritas Civitatis has a total of three Small Stories to cover as well. Since they all unlock at around the same time, I'll be breaking them up for pacing purposes. We'll start with this one.

VIDEO
Music: BinahStory

What more needs to be said? My role is only to observe.

To observe, is it…

Indeed so. Some would think that this is merely a form of neglect. I see that you are one of them.

I was simply curious. We haven’t had many opportunities to talk with one another.

There were practically none, were there? Neither you nor I left our respective posts. Yet now you have the time to visit me of all people for a chat… It must indicate that we are freer than before, able to spare more of our moments.

Do you not welcome this change?

I’m not quite certain of my sentiments. Regardless… Have a warm cup of tea, now that you are here.

…If you’d be so kind.

There's a page-turn effect here and the next sound effect is the clinking of glasses, so the teatime seems to have gone uneventfully.

Maybe so. There are enough variants of black tea that I have not bothered in attempting to imbibe other beverages.

Ah, although the azure-maned noble boy insists around the clock that I partake of coffee.

It is certainly true that there has been much change. I wouldn’t have expected that he would approach you first to recommend coffee.

One day, perchance, all of us will come together. Indeed… It will be quite different from the first time such a gathering took place.

I must wonder if the day shall come when we all will engage in casual conversation and share trivial tales. I am rather doubtful of it.

Yet deep down, you are looking forward to it. Perhaps everyone shares the same feelings.

I’ve finished my cup, so I’ll be taking my leave now. I appreciate the hospitality.

Rendezvous anytime. Tea will always be ready and waiting.

Oh, welcome back. Have a good chat?

Indeed. Her insights are… unique, if nothing else. Has Talow finished yet?

Not entirely, sir, but we do have news.

Good news, I hope?

Maybe. It doesn't seem like there will be any major fluctuations for a while. From what he's sorted out, everything starts the same way. Here's a report on what we have so far.

So all roads led to the same place, in the end?

To the Hana, specifically. We'll be seeing them soon. It always starts with that.

Oh. Are you finished writing?

No. Sephiroth won't shut up about trains running or something, and if I'd stayed there working I'd have thrown him out into the mist. Anyways… There's fifteen, maybe twenty? Different pathways all at once. None of them ended well. That drat woman… Dying one at a time is bad enough…

We've read the Purple Tear's book frontways, backways, and sideways—not much of a hint there either, just stuff about making different choices to see different results, and sampling them all at once?

Then something similar may be going on here. Tell me, who faced the Hana Association?

That's where it starts differing. Gebura a few times, Binah some others… Netzach once, Chesed a few times, Yesod a few others… Malkuth.

But never us. I see.

I don't like where this is going, old man.

I do. It's wrecking time, isn't it?

You have the right of it. We'll receive the guests ourselves.

You sure about this? As far as teams go, we're definitely the weakest…

When what we know has failed us, we should try the incomprehensible. It's something I learned from watching Ayin all these years.

In that case, I'll check through the keypages and throw something together.

Ugh… I can't believe it, but I'm starting to miss when all I had to do was watch.

In many ways, we are all simply watching the Library's progress. The light itself determines our path, and Angela walks it as she is meant to. As for the architect of that path…

I'm sure she must know, on some level.

So are you going to tell us, or…

Come. There is much to be done if we are to properly stand on the field of battle..

Yeah, okay. Screw you too, geezer…

The fewer distractions you have now, the better. Focus on the work in front of you.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: The last normal reception in the game.

Videos

Impuritas Civitatis
Small Story 3

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
The last normal reception, huh? I wonder what's coming after...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

curiousCat posted:

ABnormal receptions, clearly. :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

What about O-normal? or A+normal?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

curiousCat posted:

TeeQueue posted:

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: A series of carefully orchestrated dick moves.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
What comes after the normal game in Library of Ruina? Why, the same thing that comes after the normal in every game, dear reader! We call it...

:unsmigghh: The Endgame. :unsmigghh:

*DUN DUN DUNNNN*

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 4, 2024

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'll like to remind people that Philosophy, Religion, and General Works are still not complete....

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Nice to see Binah trying to connect with the others. Also chesed trying to show Binah his joy of coffee.

So we have to see Binah and Houma attempt at therapy(city style) still.

I do wonder if all of them will be able to enjoy life together at any point.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

TeeQueue posted:

On top of that, the Abnormalities that are wandering inside this Library lacking a physical form will be able to leave. Garnering strength by devouring powerful individuals, the Abnormalities would roam the City as they like. That’s what my plan is. I’m setting them free to do whatever they want. And they’ll leave a mark deeper than any Distortion could on the City. The one absolute and perfect book shall be the guide to teach me how to do it all.
Wait, that's your plan Angela? Maybe I'd forgotten about it, but it doesn't seem like a very good plan. In fact I would say it sounds like a bad plan. I'm not even sure what that would accomplish. Why would you even do this?

TeeQueue posted:

I have to feel joy as I witness the fall of the plan devised by the man I love yet hate. Even though it’s not… enjoyable to see the City and its people suffer because of me… I still have to feel happy. I’m obliged to. It’s what I’ve been waiting for… until now… If I don’t do this, I won’t be compensated for the million years of lone suffering—nowhere else would I be repaid…
Oh for gently caress's sake, just because Ayin wanted to make things better with the Light doesn't mean you have to spite him by doing the exact opposite you dumb loving toaster! Congratulations, you've finally managed to make me not root for you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, just because Ayin wanted to make things better with the Light doesn't mean you have to spite him by doing the exact opposite you dumb loving toaster! Congratulations, you've finally managed to make me not root for you.

It's a very human thing, though, isn't it? "I have to do this thing, or that thing, else all the suffering I went through would be for nothing."

Angela has become a real person.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Angela is I have to do this even though I don’t like the thought of it because it is the only way to make my suffering worth it. So I must be happy doing this thing I don’t like and am conflicted about.

This is with her following the path laid out for her with the light, hopefully not the same female voice that comes from the light(or at least most likely comes from it since it is linked to distortions which happen from the light). Though it likely is since she has a similar plan to the people the voice talks to. Like Roland calls out is similar to the blue sicko

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Quackles posted:

It's a very human thing, though, isn't it? "I have to do this thing, or that thing, else all the suffering I went through would be for nothing."

Angela has become a real person.

Just like everyone else in the City. That's... uh... not quite an achievement to be as petty, narrow minded, and short sighted as everyone else.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

KobunFan posted:

Just like everyone else in the City. That's... uh... not quite an achievement to be as petty, narrow minded, and short sighted as everyone else.

Yeah, this is very "Congratulations Angela, you're exactly the same as the rest of the City now."

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KobunFan posted:

Gonna put a pin in this because to address it properly involves spoilers, but: yes.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Wait, that's your plan Angela? Maybe I'd forgotten about it, but it doesn't seem like a very good plan. In fact I would say it sounds like a bad plan. I'm not even sure what that would accomplish. Why would you even do this?

I’ll be honest, the only way the “find the perfect book” plan has only ever been barely coherent is because finding progressively more powerful books has worked out so far. But if the perfect book is supposed to let her incarnate abnormalities into the city, there’s only one person whose book would have that knowledge—and while gathering all the light would make perfect sense if she intends to reconstitute and book him, Angela has given no indication that she expects the opportunity to take revenge on Ayin personally. So what gives?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 48: Hana Association—Chapter 1

Our first reception requires a hefty set of books—it's worth noting here that if you're ever losing you can just alt+f4 or x out of the game to keep the books you'd wagered instead of finishing the reception. Nobody should have to redo Xiao and Yan just because they couldn't roll above a 4. :v:

VIDEO
Music: StoryJinji

Hana Association will officially be in full charge of the matters regarding the Library from now on.

Your predictions were right, Director Mirinae.

Harold, you won’t survive here for long if you can’t figure this much.

…Your thoughts must be complicated right now, Olivier.

You won’t botch your job because of that, right?

That’s that, and this is this. It’s what he used to say all the time.

Good. We have one purpose. To thoroughly examine the relationship between the Distortion phenomenon and the Library. All conflicts are allowed in the process. The Library is a Star of the City that shines over us now.

There are still many ambiguous points in their connection… Someone’s got to observe the causality, and that someone’s us.

The Library continues to grow in strength, devouring pretty much anything and everything that enters. It’s so fierce, it could consume our City at this rate… That’s why we should figure out how the Library functions as well. To start off, let’s recap the current circumstances.

Then I suppose the southern branch of the Liu is being extremely passive at the moment, trying to avoid retaliation from the Thumb?

Not exactly. The Thumb is suffering from the same problem. They lost their Underboss who was stationed in L Corp’s Nest as well as a number of competent Capos, so it’s likely that they got knocked out of this strife too.

Which means, the only sizable threat remaining in L Corp’s Nest is…

Yes, it’s them.

When the Library unveiled itself as the fog surrounding L Corp’s Nest cleared away… The Blue Reverberation… No, the Reverberation Ensemble set up camp around it, preventing anyone else from approaching.

And they’re generating a concerning number of Distortions from there. Who knows what they’re up to in that base of theirs…

The Blue Reverberation… Judging by his recent actions, he can no longer be considered a Fixer… He’s leading a dangerous Syndicate, at least on the level of a Star of the City.

…He’s gone mad ever since he lost his sister.

Not that I can’t understand how he must’ve felt. The Pianist left an indelible, twisted mark on the City that day.

So, how is the workforce going to be distributed?

The objective is to retrieve as many books as possible from the Library itself, and secure Distortions from the Nest. And I’d like you to send an official request to all Grade 1 Offices for chasing down the Blue Reverberation.

Sections 1 and 2 have other things to do, I assume?

You said Section 1 was dealing with the Blue Reverb, and Section 2 was after the Eight Chefs, right?

You’ve got it. Furthermore…

That can’t be. All of them are gone?

I can’t fathom the strength the Blue Reverberation has…

And Section 2 sent a report saying that the Eight Chefs have already disbanded. Seven of the chefs were found cooked when they arrived at the site, to be exact. The chefs were all mutilated badly; it was nigh impossible to recognize them.

What about the last one?

Gone missing.

Did they betray their peers… and cook them…?

That probably isn’t the case. While what happened does appear to be something the Eight Chefs would do, their favored type of table service was full-course meals, not a buffet. Based on this evidence which suggests interference from outside, the Association HQ is considering to make an official announcement that the Star has fallen.

The prime question would be who was behind the dissolution of the Eight Chefs.

Could it be…?

Indeed. Section 2 speculates that the Reverberation Ensemble might be the culprit.

The Blue Reverb might be plotting schemes beyond the Association’s assumptions…

There have been worse events in the past, but the frequency and convolution of this situation is unprecedented. Every Association is in a state of emergency, including ours.

According to the Seven Association, the southern branches of Tres Association and Cinq Association also suffered losses of important members due to Distortions.

Both of which have risen in threat level significantly. Not to mention the Puppeteer. Moreover, Yesterday’s Promise is apparently capable of teleportation with such ease that it puts W Corp’s Singularity to shame…

None of those are powers that an individual should be allowed to possess. The Distortion is defying what the City had stood for until now. It’s changing the atmosphere of the City.

Is the Head doing nothing about it despite that?

They’ve been eerily quiet—or rather, our higher-ups could be intentionally withholding information on the Head’s activity.

No. We’ve been ordered to go to the Library, in fact. In order to control this situation, we need unambiguous information about the powers of the Library and its intentions.

We have Section 4 to help us place a lockdown on Nest L. We can’t let the Distortions created by the Reverberation Ensemble leave the area.

Did the powers that be determine that us Section 3 should be enough to take care of the Library?

If it doesn’t work out, then that’s the end of the line for us. It also means there’s nothing more we can do about it. And if that happens, the Library will mark its presence on the sky next to the other Stars as one of the freest beings of the City.

While the everyman is working overnight, restrained to the office desk.

Anyway, get ready to move, everybody.

Mhm. Looks like your goal is almost within reach.

That’s right. I’m almost there… That makes it feel even less real. We’ve been through so many things… and now the Hana Association is coming here.

You said the Hana Association is the largest among the Fixer Associations, right?

Yep. Like I said some time ago, the Hana Association is the institution that grants permits to Offices and grades Fixers. They also adjust the threat levels of incidents in real-time and let everyone know. And the Hana Association sometimes takes matters into its own hands to strike down Stars of the City. Just like now. You’ll be seeing them often, since they’ll keep sending people here as long as we’re a Star of the City in all likelihood.

…Strange.

What is?

Nothing. We have important guests to greet, so just make sure to be prepared.

Music: Entrance

Did you know? The Library is visible from anywhere in L Corp’s Nest now.

What do you mean?

The mist that protects the Library is almost gone. Which means it’ll become possible to demolish the whole Library from the outside soon.

So you’d better start making backup plans.

Here, let’s shake hands. I’m Mirinae, Director of Section 3 of the Hana Association, Southern Branch.

This is my first time shaking hands with a guest.

You’ve become a Star of the City, which means you’ll be seeing our Association frequently from now on. Please don’t fall too easily for us, now.

Go ahead and shake her hand, everyone.

I am Harold, a Fixer from Section 3 of Hana Association’s Southern Branch.

Olivier, a Fixer from Section 3 of the Hana’s South.

I hope to be greeting you for a long time.

The people at Section 2 are expecting you.

Got it.

…What is the meaning of this?

No need to be sensitive. I brought Olivier here so he could get a handshake from you.

I’ll see myself out, then.

You think we’ve come here with a carefree attitude? No need to worry about us underestimating you. We didn’t come here without a countermeasure, you see. Since you’re a Star of the City, and we’re Fixers of Hana Association… We should treat you with due respect.

Prepare yourself. A Star of the City is going down tonight.

…Understood. May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: A Star of the City does not go down tonight.

Videos

Hana Association 1

The Hana… Wow. Things are sure escalating around here lately, huh.

They sure are. Somehow, though, it looks like it's all blowing right over us.

That's really the ideal, isn't it? Being the eye of a storm. Making sure that things are fine where you are, even while everything's on fire.

It was inevitable, really. Out of all the weirdos in this place, ours are the least weird.

Didn't you always complain about Mr.Black's hobbies, though?

Course I did! He's creepy as hell!

But really, a former food service guy from District 23, who just happens to laugh a lot? He's stable, I'll take him. And Fat Sam…

Isn't he perfectly normal?

I wouldn't say that exactly, but he and Netzach are basically the Nap Patrol. Add in the most reliable source of booze in the whole Library… and there are worse deals.

Yeah… And the Head can't tax anything we make here.

We can't die, either… If it weren't for those receptions, this might be pretty good.

Well, nothing in life is perfect. Let's go watch someone else get murdered.

Oh. Sure, I guess.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
It's remarkable how casual the Hana are about all this. "Yup, we'll either kill you or keep sending people in until somebody else does the job. Oh, and this guy's leaving, don't worry about it." It really gives the vibe of something they just do every day, and is the closest we've gotten so far to any sort of hint on how the Head operates at all ever since we got the cutscene way back in LobCorp where Garion wiped out H Corp in an afternoon.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It feels less like they're committing to sending legions into the Library, and more like they're saying "Welp, either Hana Section 3 wins... or we're forced to concede Fixers can no longer deal with the issue, and we'll have no choice but to wait for the Head to actually do something about them."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Something I’m just realizing: Angela’s millions of years on a script that did not deviate led to Ayin becoming someone else as X, but that transformation was dramatic and happened in a single instance. It’s clear Angela never really registered or understood what changed. And it’s clear from this latest post that she doesn’t really understand or register the changes in herself, much less detect how the life she’s creating herself replicates aspects of her past life instead of repudiating them. And in trying to understand herself, she’s looking for information in other people’s books.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, Angela is basically at the point where she did get out of the abusive situation, but is only starting to grasp that she has acquired some toxic coping mechanisms in the process, but not at the point where she can quite identified what they are.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

And continuing the Orlando Furioso connection, a quick wiki dive says that Olivier de Vienne, or just Oliver, was Roland's best friend, confidant, fellow Paladin of Charlemagne, and brother-in-law to be. Looking forward to receiving him as a guest, poo poo should go down.

quote:

Important note: the city is divided up 4 ways, which means that for all the sections of each Association we've wiped out, there are 3 others off doing their own poo poo.

Materant posted:

It feels less like they're committing to sending legions into the Library, and more like they're saying "Welp, either Hana Section 3 wins... or we're forced to concede Fixers can no longer deal with the issue, and we'll have no choice but to wait for the Head to actually do something about them."
Roland heard all of that too though, and still says that the Hana is probably going to keep hounding the Library, and the Hana members also state that. I think what Mirinae meant was that if Section 3 can't handle the Library, they're going to die or get fired, at which point handling the Library is no longer the concern of the members of Section 3, on account of being jobless/dead.

That said, we've left the Star of the City section and entered the Impuritas Civitatis, which means something along the lines of a stain on civilization, or "Impurity of the City." Ignoring how what we've heard of the Head tells us that they probably would have come to kill Angela way before now, if I had to choose any stage of the game to expect the Head to take command of trying to kill us, it's the stage calling us a stain, in Latin, at the end of the game.

Small note, the opening dialogues delivered by unseen characters in each section prologue have told us the location of the dialogue, and we've proceeded to meet all them: Canard was Inside the Library, Urban Myth took place in Zwei Association - Southern Branch, Section 6, Urban Legend took place in a Thumb Southern Base - Meeting Room, Urban Plague in Shi Association - Southern Branch, and Urban Nightmare in Hana Association - Southern Branch. Except, at least so far, for the Star of the City, we don't know where they were talking, and still haven't met them yet. Side-side note, the file names for their portraits also differs from the previous portraits who have generally been mystery(number), those three are sotcb, sotcl, sotcz.
BTW, file names for the Urban Myth portraits? mythtery-1 and mythtery-2. :golfclap:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
This game is so long that it feels like a pleasant surprise to have the Eight Chefs tie in at this late a date, doesn’t it? The game starts out feeling like it’s tossing out tons of background plots and threads to maybe pick up in another game if at all—but here we are and they’re all converging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, Angela is basically at the point where she did get out of the abusive situation, but is only starting to grasp that she has acquired some toxic coping mechanisms in the process, but not at the point where she can quite identified what they are.
I like that she's starting to realize she doesn't actually enjoy the results of her plan, at least on other people, even if she enjoys the results on herself, but she can't abandon the plan, because the plan is, at this point, all she has. Although... it isn't really. Her relationships with the Sephirot might be clouded, but I don't think they're beyond repair, and she's made a friend of her own in Roland. She could back off her plan, isolate the Library as she figures out what she's doing and what she actually wants to do, regroup, and take a moment for herself to really think and process. That's an uncomfortable thought, though, and she's built up a lot of momentum at this point. There's got to be the fear that if she pauses to think, everything will break around her, and she'll lose any of the happiness she's managed to eke out for herself. At the same time, she keeps getting reminders of what she's actually been doing to people, and as her sense of empathy develops and expands, that gets more and more uncomfortable. The easiest thing to do is to close her eyes to other's pain and keep chasing her own joy, but that's not the right thing to do.

It's really good writing! It's a situation that's so frustrating to read because of the nuance of it, because she's so close to grasping that uncomfortable truth and facing it, but she keeps turning away at the last second. I really have to applaud the Project Moon writers.