Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Anyone who actually watched him would have known he wouldn't get Bullied. He is strong as poo poo for his frame.

Especially in the modern NBA where there are like a handful of dudes who would even like try to do it. Like yeah Embiid or Joker could do it but they do it to everyone.

https://x.com/Will_Gottlieb/status/1765066302471930344?s=20

I love my mid team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The lakers will have to settle for picking up the scraps of Zion.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah I'm ok with wemby not winning the head-to-heads against the #1 and #2 players as a rookie

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 5, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah I'm ok with wemby not winning the head-to-head against the #1 and #2 players as a rookie

absolutely, and embiid for example went off on gobert as well. it's not even really what that kind of player is for, he's there to defend the other 4 guys. it's just not accurate to say he isn't getting bullied, bigger stronger centers do just move him out of the way and score on him regularly

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I don’t think the league is prepared for Wemby‘s next decade. 2023-24 will almost certainly go down as one of the worst statistical years of his career… even though he’s already playing like a top 20 guy. Freaking Spurs, man.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

We’re getting this after a few months???

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

Freaking Spurs, man.

What a coincidence this military town keeps getting generational big men 1st in the draft.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Deferring to Pop and Tony Parker didn't end so well with Kawhi. And Pop's 75, is he really trying to wait three years?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

the really fucky lineup decision was playing wemby at 4 for the first half of the season, which i think was done partly to convince him that he is a much better fit at center

It was to protect him but he seems like he's much more durable than you'd think at that age/weirdo body. He still plays offense like a 4 but that's fine. I'm still not convinced you won't want to pair him with someone who can take over down low now and then but he's holding up super well so

DeimosRising posted:

embiid and jokic and gobert have all played out of their minds against san antonio this year, so i think there's evidence that he isn't particularly good at guarding top level centers at this point

I wouldn't put much stock in that but I also don't think Wemby is even at all-defense team yet even if he's massively outpacing expectations so far at that end.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

embiid and jokic and gobert have all played out of their minds against san antonio this year, so i think there's evidence that he isn't particularly good at guarding top level centers at this point

“But then again, who does?”

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1764872704195244225

I am very excited for the Jazz to tank enough and put some good players into the rotation because there are still a handful of really run and excellent players.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

the Spurs getting one of the better guys in this not so good draft probably helps a lot too. there's even some good pieces for the holes in their roster on the board.

or I guess they trade for Trae (don't)

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I'm excited for Wemby to deny the Celtics their three peat in two years.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The last time the Celtics got a 3 peat was before the premiere of Star Trek and the Chicago Bulls were a brand new expansion team. Those are some *short* shorts.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it's a shame that the #1 overall has never had to be on a bad team before. thoughts and prayers for victor in these challenging times

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lockback posted:

It was to protect him but he seems like he's much more durable than you'd think at that age/weirdo body. He still plays offense like a 4 but that's fine. I'm still not convinced you won't want to pair him with someone who can take over down low now and then but he's holding up super well so

wemby takes great pains not to gently caress up his body; even if he isn't a hulking mass of muscle (if that would even be a good thing for him?) i think he's acutely aware that the injury history of human beings above 6'11 is rough

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1765078368654143853

Something about that time he hit like 6 3s in a row to beat miami in the finals

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 5, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

de curry GOAT posted:

We’re getting this after a few months???

That’s more grace than the Pels have been given when people were doing that before AD and Zion were even selected in the draft.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Telluric Whistler posted:

the Spurs getting one of the better guys in this not so good draft probably helps a lot too. there's even some good pieces for the holes in their roster on the board.

or I guess they trade for Trae (don't)

The middle of this draft I think will be more normalish, some decent risk/reward type guys, etc. The top is 2013 bad though. This is definitely a draft I think I'd rather have a later pick. I guess it's always better to have a higher pick but....yuck. I'm usually "Bad Teams Shouldn't Trade Top Picks" but if you find someone foolish enough to give you something this is the year to do it.

Declan MacManus posted:

wemby takes great pains not to gently caress up his body; even if he isn't a hulking mass of muscle (if that would even be a good thing for him?) i think he's acutely aware that the injury history of human beings above 6'11 is rough

For sure, still being acutely aware and taking every precaution is not the same thing as guaranteeing avoidance. I don't blame SAS at all for not wanting him to be the primary big to start and having him prove his resilience before moving him to the 5. Things may look different over time too, I still see a universe where he is better suited with a more wing-like role but its hard to argue the results right now.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

leftist heap posted:

Doc Rivers winning a ring this year would be so funny that I'm almost cheering for it

If it’s a choice between Doc or the Celtics winning, that’s a tough choice.

What if Doc actually comes BACK from 1-3 down in the conference final…

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Red Rox posted:

If it’s a choice between Doc or the Celtics winning, that’s a tough choice.

What if Doc actually comes BACK from 1-3 down in the conference final…

Would be EXTREMELY funny, I approve

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If Doc pulled it off I would think it required for him to go off live on television telling all of basketball to gently caress off

It won't happen, but if it did I think he'd have earned it

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Strawberry Panda posted:

I'm excited for Wemby to deny the Celtics their three peat in two years.

I could live with this.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Lockback posted:

The middle of this draft I think will be more normalish, some decent risk/reward type guys, etc. The top is 2013 bad though. This is definitely a draft I think I'd rather have a later pick. I guess it's always better to have a higher pick but....yuck. I'm usually "Bad Teams Shouldn't Trade Top Picks" but if you find someone foolish enough to give you something this is the year to do it.

For sure, still being acutely aware and taking every precaution is not the same thing as guaranteeing avoidance. I don't blame SAS at all for not wanting him to be the primary big to start and having him prove his resilience before moving him to the 5. Things may look different over time too, I still see a universe where he is better suited with a more wing-like role but its hard to argue the results right now.

I don’t really buy that the top of the draft is 2013 bad. The reality is that the prevalence of European and now emergence of African talent has greatly raised the floor of any draft from a decade ago. The top college prospects and Ignite are all playing really well lately. Guys like Sheppard, Dillingham, Knecht, and Tyler Smith coming out of nowhere helps as well.

I think there is a pretty significant drop off around pick 20 personally.

Overall do agree that the chance that you get “the guy” in this draft is lower and that sucks for the Blazers and Wizards who both have major questions on who the guy is, but Sarr is likely to be a major defensive anchor as a worse case scenario.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah I'm ok with wemby not winning the head-to-heads against the #1 and #2 players as a rookie

DeimosRising posted:

absolutely, and embiid for example went off on gobert as well. it's not even really what that kind of player is for, he's there to defend the other 4 guys. it's just not accurate to say he isn't getting bullied, bigger stronger centers do just move him out of the way and score on him regularly

A year or so of growing more into that frame and working on core strength and crazy poo poo like absorbing a shoulder from a charging Giannis and still recovering for the block will be a more regular occurence.

https://twitter.com/nbainfoid/status/1743106712469725532

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fate Accomplice posted:

she almost exclusively writes about the lakers, so yes

She exclusively wrote caretrolls about the Lakers you mean. And it’s been cut to a trickle after she burnt her bridges with the Busses.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Lockback posted:

Wemby needs a Boris Diaw next to him. And a Tiago Splitter off the bench. A Belinelli too, why not

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Glad Wiggs' CSIS assignment didn't take as long this year
https://x.com/kendra__andrews/status/1765121435679527256?s=46&t=0x_opuk5bo0lymk_1YRzgQ

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Tiago Splitter sounds like one of the camouflage options I was always too lazy to select in Metal Gear Solid 3.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
There was a podcaster that didn't know clippers were a type of boat until they changed their branding

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

temple posted:

There was a podcaster that didn't know clippers were a type of boat until they changed their branding

Yeah...imagine not knowing that....pfft dumbasses

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I can't imagine Wemby being anything but a center. He can be a stretch 5 on offense, it would be a waste of his talent to ask him to play like Shaq. On defense, though, he just has to be near the basket at all times. The amount of NBA shots he eats up like a kid playing against his brother who's 5 years younger in the driveway is insane. He's 7'6 and you can't teach that.

I'll never forgive Adam Silver for not putting him on the Rockets. At least I get to watch him stuff some weak-rear end FVV and Dillon Brooks drives tonight. :sigh:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mean Baby posted:

I don’t really buy that the top of the draft is 2013 bad. The reality is that the prevalence of European and now emergence of African talent has greatly raised the floor of any draft from a decade ago. The top college prospects and Ignite are all playing really well lately. Guys like Sheppard, Dillingham, Knecht, and Tyler Smith coming out of nowhere helps as well.

Overall do agree that the chance that you get “the guy” in this draft is lower and that sucks for the Blazers and Wizards who both have major questions on who the guy is, but Sarr is likely to be a major defensive anchor as a worse case scenario.

What are your thoughts on Topic?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Rick posted:

What are your thoughts on Topic?

I’ve only watched highlights and a first half of his. I’m mostly focused on guys the Blazers would draft and I don’t see any way they would.

The other two guys I want to watch but haven’t been able to find VODs are Salaun and Risacher, so it’s hard to place them. I don’t really trust highlights. That said, my personal big board based on guys I’ve watched. If they aren’t on here, I just don’t know enough. The players teams value will depend on their risk tolerance and needs imo.

All-NBA Potential
- Sarr
- Buzelis
- Holland
- Cody Williams

All-Star Potential
- Risacher (TBD)
- Knecht
- Dillingham
- Clingan

Boom / Bust
- Sheppard
- Topic (TBD)
- Salaun (TBD)
- Missi
- Collier
- Kyshawn George

Starters (some of these dudes give me bust vibes)
- Castle
- Walter
- Filipowski
- Furphy
- Tyler Smith

Sleepers / Fliers
- Almansa
- Chomche
- Justin Edwards
- Saint Thomas
- Poplar

Busts / G League Stars
- Dillon Jones

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mean Baby posted:

The line on the draft is no elite talent. instead of 1-6 it's like a draft that starts at the 7th pick

mainstream analysts have coalesced on zaccharie rissacher becuase he shot well in the last bit

but like nikola topic is 3rd overall and hes' a 6'6 pg who can't shoot and it's just like put this loving thing out of its misery

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

The line on the draft is no elite talent. instead of 1-6 it's like a draft that starts at the 7th pick

mainstream analysts have coalesced on zaccharie rissacher becuase he shot well in the last bit

but like nikola topic is 3rd overall and hes' a 6'6 pg who can't shoot and it's just like put this loving thing out of its misery

To be fair, 4 of the to picks 6 last year couldn’t shoot and 3 of them are PGs!

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Sincerely thought that the discourse was about podcast blowhards saying What is your opinion on topic?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Rick posted:

She exclusively wrote caretrolls about the Lakers you mean. And it’s been cut to a trickle after she burnt her bridges with the Busses.

At least she still has her all-nba and awards votes.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shelburne is ESPNs serious journalist i.e. she gets called in to write fluff pieces when the NBA PR machine really needs to get a handle on the Draymond story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mean Baby posted:

To be fair, 4 of the to picks 6 last year couldn’t shoot and 3 of them are PGs!

scoot could shoot in the midrange, amens a generational athlete, and anthony black is a good benchmark for the 1-6 guys in the 2024 draft, which is like 😬