Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Still fascinated by how Oda is going to land that the story of Joy Boy, a figure that presumably could have risen/did rise to stop what became 800 years of horrific rule by slavers excited to genocide anyone deemed them but didn't or failed to, ends in a laughter.

Imu turned Joyboy to stone but right before he did Joyboy mooned him and that’s the pose Joyboy was frozen in for all eternity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Strong Zoro energy with that theory so it’s probably correct

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Also this

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Please let one of them be this guy:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Still fascinated by how Oda is going to land that the story of Joy Boy, a figure that presumably could have risen/did rise to stop what became 800 years of horrific rule by slavers excited to genocide anyone deemed them but didn't or failed to, ends in a laughter.

i laugh a lot when i read one piece

rko
Jul 12, 2017

I was watching the Oden flashback sequence in the anime since it was one of my favorite bits of the manga (the line about the whole capital tilting because of how much people wanted to follow Oden is incredible), and it was shown that when Roger & Co. went back to pick up Shanks and Buggy, Shanks “asked [Roger] something only to shed tears afterwards.” Right at the top of Ch. 968–good panel, Oda’s the best at drawing somebody crying out of all the holes in their face.

We also learned recently (Ch. 1,082) that Shanks and Buggy parted ways shortly afterwards at Roger’s execution when Shanks tells Buggy he’s not interested in the One Piece. “I’ve changed my mind…for now at least. I’m not ready to go for it yet.” And as far as we know, he didn’t change his mind about that until a few chapters earlier, after he decides not to see Luffy in Wano in Ch. 1,054 (right after seeing Luffy’s new wanted poster and having a flashback to stealing the devil fruit/Luffy eating it).

No idea what any of this means, but I feel like it’s possible Shanks didn’t find the joke of Laugh Tale as funny as Roger. That’s how I read it: Shanks knows what the One Piece is, and now that he knows Luffy is going to be the person who can use it, he’s moving in to play some mysterious guide role.

Part of me, though, thinks Shanks wouldn’t have despaired if it was just a “we were too early” issue. I wonder if it’s a more classic Christ-like trope, where being the right person at the right time with the One Piece will give you great power at the cost of your life, or even remake the world. Maybe Imu is Joyboy; that would explain why he’s got the hat, and note that Roger only says, “Oh Joyboy…I wish I had been born in your time!” and not something complementary about Joyboy himself. Alternately, Imu maybe just got the One Piece first, and Roger and the boys were laughing at Joyboy’s funny grinning corpse.

Sorry for theorydumping, but I find Shanks fascinating. I feel like he’s doing a gambit like the Oracle in the Matrix or fuckin Dumbledore—knowingly sacrificing the hero in order to save the world. And given all the focus on his hair color, I’d be remiss to not mention Judas. Shanks doing an anti-heroic heel-adjacent turn just makes a lot of sense to me, and since it’s one of the most shocking things Oda could do, I bet he will, though it won’t stick and he’ll die a hero before the manga’s over.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do you think Yamato would smoke weed

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Would Oden?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Oden was born to boil not born to bake.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

do you think luffy is closer to 20 than not by this point in the manga?

idk i just wanna see luffy become the same age as ace

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He'll become the Pirate King on his birthday

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think shanks will place himself in luffys way as like, the final test. whatever the one piece is, there won't be any second chances once someone gets to it, so if luffy cant handle shanks then he can't handle what comes next

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord_Magmar posted:

a Baku (Dream-devouring Yokai)

:stare:

But... but a man's dream...

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Shanks role in the story at this point is to die to Blackbeard in front of Luffy to cause him to despair and lose the ability to Gear 5 for a period of time because he can’t feel joy anymore. However, Buggy will also see this and inherit Shanks’ haki somehow, Buggy will then absolutely stomp Blackbeard due to overwhelming haki as well as type-advantage (clowns are scarier than the dark).

But legit I think Blackbeard kills Shanks and Buggy, as Shanks longtime friend, is instrumental in taking down Blackbeard. Shanks surviving to the end of this series would be a bigger shock to me than Luffy not being pirate king or finding the one piece.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerusalem posted:

He's the New World analog of Moria, and Luffy's going to punch him so hard in the stomach that all the dreams are spit back out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
At least going off the Pokémon games they’re more meant to devour bed time dreams rather than people’s actual ambitions, but imo that depends on if a hypothetical Baku/tapir fruit user is the head of the Elder Stars, because I can’t imagine anything more OP in the setting of One Piece, even if it were temporary like Perona’s depression ghosts.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Jerusalem posted:

That sure would be an appropriate near final boss. Also in terms of silhouette positioning the Baku fruit user would likely be Topman Warcury, the Justice Warrior God.

He's the one who questions destroying Lulusia because it is full of otherwise loyal citizens, dislikes Aokiji going rogue, and is disappointed by Jimbe leaving the Warlords because it would heighten the tension between fishmen and humans, disrupting harmony. He appears to care the most about other people having happy lives, although within the laws of the World Government

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ONE PIECE WILL RETURN

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

A man's dream will never die... But it can undergo the ol' vore and store.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Im is Wapol after he figured out how to eat dreams.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

We know there was an Ancient Kingdom with advanced technology.
We know that the current World Government rose up and defeated the Ancient Kingdom.
The WG is the current enemy so I think you are supposed to assume that the AK were the good guys.
My theory is that actually the AK were the bad guys, who enslaved the rest of the world to feed its advanced technology.
Joyboy rose up against the AK to free the slaves, but Im betrayed them at the last minute and seized power for themself.

When Brook was paw’d away by Kuma, he landed in a magic circle very similar to the ones that summon the Elders. The people around it were trying to summon “Lord Satan” and were talking about providing a sacrifice and/or blood.

We see something similar in Skypea in the Norland flashback, where the elder of the village said that god was telling him to sacrifice someone. I always thought this was odd. We now know about long-distance telepathy, so I think this was Im or the Elders telling him to make the sacrifice, or he was picking up on something else saying it.

My thought there is that Im and the other 19 founders tried to summon something to help them in the fight against the AK, but Im betrayed them by sacrificing them to the thing, and that’s how the power was seized.

It’s also interesting what Saturn was saying about doing experiments with Devil Fruits. Before he said that, I would have thought that the WG/the Elders knew everything about Devil Fruits, and maybe are even the source of them. I also think Saturn could have been BS’ing there to make Bonney lose hope.

In summary, One Piece is good.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Shanks role in the story at this point is to die to Blackbeard in front of Luffy to cause him to despair and lose the ability to Gear 5 for a period of time because he can’t feel joy anymore. However, Buggy will also see this and inherit Shanks’ haki somehow, Buggy will then absolutely stomp Blackbeard due to overwhelming haki as well as type-advantage (clowns are scarier than the dark).

But legit I think Blackbeard kills Shanks and Buggy, as Shanks longtime friend, is instrumental in taking down Blackbeard. Shanks surviving to the end of this series would be a bigger shock to me than Luffy not being pirate king or finding the one piece.

What if Shanks is the real evil boss at the end of the manga

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Shanks is a cop

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Cat Machine posted:

Shanks is a cop

I don’t know how this is even in question.

I’m starting to believe that Blackbeard is a blind and Shanks will be standing in front of the one piece waiting to stomp that fruit out of existence once and for all after finding a sufficiently stupid D to give it to and waiting for him to awaken.

Blackbeard and Luffy then team up to try and stop them as Shanks’ shadow, disconnected from him by whoever had Moria’s fruit 800 years ago, reconnects and reveals imu to be Shanks.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Shanks is going to introduce himself by his full name once before this is all over, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fishman Island: I did not expect Sanji's horniness to now be a pseudo serious plot device that has already resulted in him needing a blood transfusion?

kinda weird

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

he gets better, but Sanji's character is definitely at its worst immediately after the timeskip

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

U-DO Burger posted:

he gets better, but Sanji's character is definitely at its worst immediately after the timeskip

A close race between Fishman Island and the time he admitted he wanted the Invisibility fruit so he could perv on women while they bathed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

Fishman Island: I did not expect Sanji's horniness to now be a pseudo serious plot device that has already resulted in him needing a blood transfusion?

kinda weird

its probably my least favorite thing in the entire series

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Augus posted:

its probably my least favorite thing in the entire series

that and sanji in thriller bark, and the early okama stuff

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

A close race between Fishman Island and the time he admitted he wanted the Invisibility fruit so he could perv on women while they bathed.

and let's not forget Wano and the bathhouse

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Fishman Island is the lowpoint of the series for a multitude of reasons.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
he's pretty regularly the worst part of the story

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tbh the nosebleed arc is hilarious in a distanced meta one line summary, it's just loving awful to actually read

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

U-DO Burger posted:

and let's not forget Wano and the bathhouse
I think peeping from across the room in a coed bathhouse (where everyone else was staring at them anyways) is probably the funniest/most harmless resolution of the worst dream in the series.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TurkeyFried posted:

he's pretty regularly the worst part of the story
And yet he's also regularly one of the best parts of a chaotic set piece. Mr. Prince, Gates of Justice, kicking Kizaru's beam and talking about the power of love. Sanji is really cool.

And he's also really terrible.

Sanji is a land of contrasts.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

everyone always talks about the clear clear fruit stuff, but forgets that oda in an sbs said that if sanji had the door door fruit that the world would basically end as all women would hide in fear of him on a global scale until all the men worked together to stop him (challenge level: impossible)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sanji is still cool imo

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Tbh the nosebleed arc is hilarious in a distanced meta one line summary, it's just loving awful to actually read

Yeah, I really like the idea of a nosebleed gag causing the character an actual serious life threatening injury. It… definitely could have been done better to say the least.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sanji is the only horny character in the straw hats and as such it is his responsibility and mandate to show both the good and bad sides of horny behavior. otherwise people would instead complain that sanji is never given consequences for his horniness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What about Brook?