Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When they’re storming prisons and besieging airports I don’t think “armed gang” still fits.

That’s an uprising, possibly a revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

When they’re storming prisons and besieging airports I don’t think “armed gang” still fits.

I dunno, Mexican gangs do that all the time and they’re happy to sit back down once the government’s been put in its place.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

probably the most common phrase used by think tanks discussing haiti over the past, say, 40 years is “failed state”

one of many examples

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/02/17/haiti-crisis-corruption-criminal-gangs-violence-humanitarian-assistance-state-failure-sanctions/

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Those usually have some kind of ideological backing that this doesn't, for the most part.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I dunno, Mexican gangs do that all the time and they’re happy to sit back down once the government’s been put in its place.

There aren't many parallels between Haiti and Mexico that are relevant here.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
There's so little press on Haiti, Sudan, Mali and the Maghreb.

How do you even begin to go intervene in just one of these hotspots without it turning into a Black Hawk Down situation where we pull out as soon as casualties happen? Even if JSOC went in hard against the gangs in Haiti and SF just FIDed up the govt forces, there's no political will at all to sustain a military campaign to stabilize the country if we could even do that. But the more instability occurs especially in Haiti and Central and South America, the more refugees we're going to have at the southern border. And the worse global warning gets, the more food insecure those countries get, and so the more climate refugees we'll have to deal with. All the while the right wing is openly bedding with white nationalist christian fundamentalists and more and more people are screaming "invasion" at the border. When really the only loving thing that would actually help is massively more foreign aid and military intervention in some extreme cases like Haiti. But nothing like that will happen because there's no political will.

It just all seems so hopeless and it's hard to see a way forward that isnt completely hosed.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Cloaca's serve a useful function.

:actually: they serve more than one useful function.

:honk:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Those usually have some kind of ideological backing that this doesn't, for the most part.

The gang alliance that BBQ is a part of has the backing of the nation's elites, but recently split with President/Prime Minister Henri. In the end it's a fight among the elites - since there's no longer any functional governmental authorities, the gangs are the functional power in the country.
BBQ and friends are the descendants of the Tontons Macoutes, but without a Duvalier to control them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

joat mon posted:

The gang alliance that BBQ is a part of has the backing of the nation's elites, but recently split with President/Prime Minister Henri. In the end it's a fight among the elites - since there's no longer any functional governmental authorities, the gangs are the functional power in the country.
BBQ and friends are the descendants of the Tontons Macoutes, but without a Duvalier to control them.

So it's not a revolution, since no one is trying to change the political order, just a coup.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

And nothing changes for the people who are just trying to live. They get the poo poo end. Again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Protip: get an expert witness who won’t pull this poo poo in the courtroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9t6uaXwRGY

Defense witness in the trial of Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, charged with involuntary manslaughter and tampering with evidence

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Platystemon posted:

Protip: get an expert witness who won’t pull this poo poo in the courtroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9t6uaXwRGY

Defense witness in the trial of Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, charged with involuntary manslaughter and tampering with evidence

"It just goes off by itself, watch"

Didn't a defense attorney shoot himself by accident demonstrating how easily the victim could have shot themselves, dying but saving his client? False edit: Yes, but a third guy also shot himself demonstrating how the second guy shot himself. https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28805895

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
republican primary is officially over, democratic primary is de facto over

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1765338433377989070?t=ZvT09RU3whjcz5CyGUMthQ&s=19

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
To save us all some time and money, the presidential election should simply just be a toss-up between these two ancient idiots again and again until the country dissolves.

"What if they're dead?" Doesn't matter. The last 8 years proved that a baked potato could do the job.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pseudosavior posted:

To save us all some time and money, the presidential election should simply just be a toss-up between these two ancient idiots again and again until the country dissolves.

"What if they're dead?" Doesn't matter. The last 8 years proved that a baked potato could do the job.

You have my attention. What is the baked potato's Israel/Palestine platform? Is there a place I can volunteer to knock on doors for the baked potato?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bird food bathtub posted:

Is there a place I can volunteer to knock on doors for the baked potato?

The Idaho primary, one presumes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My only condition is that the baked potato not have sour cream.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

pseudosavior posted:

How can someone who hasn’t been in a coma for the last 8 years still say the presidency doesn’t matter? We’re not getting anyone good, that much is obvious, but one option is clearly less bad than the other. And the more bad option will result in tangible negative outcomes for large swathes of the country.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Subjunctive posted:

The Idaho primary, one presumes.

:golfclap:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How can someone who hasn’t been in a coma for the last 8 years still say the presidency doesn’t matter? We’re not getting anyone good, that much is obvious, but one option is clearly less bad than the other. And the more bad option will result in tangible negative outcomes for large swathes of the country.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the Biden and Trump presidencies and go "Hmm yes, basically the same" unless they're being edgy or are just willfully ignorant.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

psydude posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the Biden and Trump presidencies and go "Hmm yes, basically the same" unless they're being edgy or are just willfully ignorant.

The latest round of “people on the street” interviews about the candidates just makes me think a significant portion of the population has some pretty extreme cognitive impairment.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

These interviews with Super Tuesday voters are hilarious and/or killing me.

Some of them are pretty boring or straightforward, but the wild ones are pretty wild.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/05/us/super-tuesday-election-updates

quote:

Under Trump, we didn't have inflation. Inflation, coronavirus, immigration surges, and crime all happened on Biden's watch.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 6, 2024

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Tiny Timbs posted:

The latest round of “people on the street” interviews about the candidates just makes me think a significant portion of the population has some pretty extreme cognitive impairment.

Nothing new there

quote:

In 2013, 29% of Louisiana Republicans said Obama was responsible for the Katrina response. 28% put the blame on President George W. Bush, whose administration did in fact oversee the federal response to Katrina.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ah yes, the common clay of the new west.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

McNally posted:

I'm ok with this.

Anyway, I'm not going to ban specific words, but more specific vibes. Yes, this is dumb. No, I won't be pushing buttons over it unless it gets to be an issue (somehow).

Hi, it’s me. I’m the problem :lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

So just a big warm lump of starch?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

And bacon and cheese and maybe some other stuff

Do you literally eat just potato and sour cream? Ewwww

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Platystemon posted:

Probably one of the most hosed up things you've ever posted, if we're being honest

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Baked potatoes suck. Let them go cold. Chop em up. Refry them.

Hrm.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sour cream is disgusting

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

psydude posted:

They’re both people that intend to die in office.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Best thing to do with baked potato is put them away and make twice baked potatoes the next night

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Platystemon posted:

We regret to inform you that your baked potato is apparently in fact 100% sour cream. no refunds

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Milo and POTUS posted:

Best thing to do with baked potato is put them away and make twice baked potatoes the next night

This is like the marshmallow test but I would fail

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Well they say you get the government you deserve and the USA seems like s prime example of that. The Bush administration and Trump administration were both uniquely horrible and people don't care to remember much about them at all.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Grip it and rip it posted:

Well they say you get the government you deserve and the USA seems like s prime example of that. The Bush administration and Trump administration were both uniquely horrible and people don't care to remember much about them at all.

That's one thing that pollsters think is going on - people somehow don't remember Donnie's first term at all and papered over the mountain of bullshit in it.

Also, a lot of the far-lefty horseshoe accelerationist takes don't seem to remember a lot about American presidential history. Two terms of Reagan didn't exactly usher in an Era Of Progressivism and Democrats generally taking a nap in 2010 led to the lockup of particularly terrible gerrymanders that still exist past 2020 redistricting.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh the Trump administration was so eventful I find myself getting reminded about crazy poo poo I had forgotten all the time

Like the whole hurricane sharpie incident

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Describing the Biden administration as "uniquely horrible" sure is a take. Outside of a handful of issues I think it's been pretty good!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Describing the Biden administration as "uniquely horrible" sure is a take. Outside of a handful of issues I think it's been pretty good!

Maybe even the least war-crimey administration since ....Hoover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I had to read the quoted post a few times - Bush/Trump, not Biden/Trump there!

Tiny Timbs posted:

tbh the Trump administration was so eventful I find myself getting reminded about crazy poo poo I had forgotten all the time

Like the whole hurricane sharpie incident

Four years ago today, trump was keeping the COVID ship deliberately along the coast because "I like the numbers where they are"