Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Does Ravenous count as a western? I love me some Proposition and Ravenous.

Edit: Ooh, what about Seraphim Falls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

poonchasta posted:

Does Ravenous count as a western?

why wouldn't it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/DenisVfilms/status/1765424932190572949

Make art to die to is certainly a goal, I guess.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

the movie literally bored a dude to death, that's a wild advertisement

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I almost died during that poisoning scene in dune pt 2 (on imax, on psychedelics) so I'm pretty sure if I were on my deathbed there's a couple scenes from dune pt 2 that would definitely overwhelm me through sheer audiovisual spectacle into immediate demise. I did appreciate some of the horror elements of the movie.

What I'm saying is it's time to put that French Canadian behind bars.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For years I had no clue what an OVA was supposed to be, so I thought people were referring to random anime movies as, like, an egg?

Turns out that was fully accurate.

Watch Angel’s Egg.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
All art should kill on sight.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The train actually came through the screen and crashed into all those poor french people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Good

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Dune Part 2 was really good. That is my whole review.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fatal Exam? They should call it Boring Exam! Because this movie is boring.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm sure dunc 2 is fine but if you have to die watching a Dune you gotta go with the proper weird ones or your soul won't get the juice to ascend

DeimosRising posted:

the movie literally bored a dude to death, that's a wild advertisement

Imagine dying to any PG 13 movie!

Putting it in my will that my hospice must be playing Hunger Games nonstop

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone. One of the central elements is a train being built, symbolizing civilization coming, therefore bringing the death of the Old West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_9eQXlsVQ

Great choice but missed opportunity to use Harmonica's tune for the diegetic competition

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I gotta say, I haven't seen a film with such an unsatisfying ending in a long time. I started my journey into Westens with Red River because it sounded really interesting. And it was. Then it made a joke out of all the intensity and emotion it built up. Someone chickened out.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How is the circa 2000 Dune miniseries? I'm guessing it looks pretty cheap.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

regulargonzalez posted:

The green screens are pretty harsh and there's more than a fair share of overacting (I'm looking at you Stilgar), but I've always enjoyed it, and it's probably the only time we'll see both Messiah and Children.

It's also all on YouTube

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My favorite Western is still Australian. That Nick Cave soundtrack and everyone just covered in filth and flies at all times. Gotta love The Proposition.

Quigley Down Under

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

regulargonzalez posted:

it's a good time. don't go in expecting movie-level budget to be reflected in literally any aspect of the production, but it's the closest we get to a straight adaptation of the novel and the costuming is hilarious

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Magic Hate Ball posted:

All art should kill on sight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can’t kill art

He’ll pop outta someone’s hoo ha while Chris Jericho eats nasty rear end Halloween food

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Azhais posted:

The green screens are pretty harsh and there's more than a fair share of overacting (I'm looking at you Stilgar), but I've always enjoyed it, and it's probably the only time we'll see both Messiah and Children.

It's also all on YouTube

I thought it was matte paintings not green screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You need to use green screens to key in the matte paintings unless you’re doing a wideshot with a matte background and the live action is a tiny plate or something

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NikkolasKing posted:

I gotta say, I haven't seen a film with such an unsatisfying ending in a long time. I started my journey into Westens with Red River because it sounded really interesting. And it was. Then it made a joke out of all the intensity and emotion it built up. Someone chickened out.

I haven’t read the story, but I looked up a summary on Wikipedia and it’s a lot better than the film’s ending. They probably changed it so it wouldn’t be such a downer. I still really like Red River, and my favorite part is how many times they basically say “no homo.”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you want a Western that doesn't pull any punches, check out The Great Silence. You will not come away from that movie saying that they chickened out, that's for sure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Think of it as a filmed stage play and you'll have a great time

Children of Dune has much higher production values

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

If you want a Western that doesn't pull any punches, check out The Great Silence. You will not come away from that movie saying that they chickened out, that's for sure.

How can you tell you’re watching the right version before the end? I watched the good version, but didn’t realize until afterwards there were alternate endings.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

How can you tell you’re watching the right version before the end? I watched the good version, but didn’t realize until afterwards there were alternate endings.

If everyone is dubbed in Italian it's the good version if everyone is dubbed in English it might be the wrong one.

I think.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't know there were multiple versions so I can't answer that one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't wanna jump straight into Spaghetti Westerns or what seems to be called "Revisionist Westerns." Because, just looking at the wiki for Great Silence, it says the film is lauded for the "subversion of several conventions of the Western film genre." What conventions? Seems like I should start with a conventional Western before going to the opposite, you know?

It's like folks who say Evangelion was remarkable for being a robot show with great characters and deeper themes. Nobody likes those mecha fans, and I don't wanna be one of them with Western fans, either.

Next Western I wanted to watch is Shane.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I haven’t read the story, but I looked up a summary on Wikipedia and it’s a lot better than the film’s ending. They probably changed it so it wouldn’t be such a downer. I still really like Red River, and my favorite part is how many times they basically say “no homo.”

Oh I loved the movie up until the ending. I'd happily re-watch it someday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea that makes sense. You could probably stick to the John Ford/John Wayne combo, watch five or six of their collaborations and you'd have a pretty solid idea of what the established Western conventions were.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Go watch Stagecoach for a very solid classic western that still has some meat on its bones for discussion and some incredible stunt work

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't wanna jump straight into Spaghetti Westerns or what seems to be called "Revisionist Westerns." Because, just looking at the wiki for Great Silence, it says the film is lauded for the "subversion of several conventions of the Western film genre." What conventions? Seems like I should start with a conventional Western before going to the opposite, you know?

It's like folks who say Evangelion was remarkable for being a robot show with great characters and deeper themes. Nobody likes those mecha fans, and I don't wanna be one of them with Western fans, either.

As someone who used to be that kind of Eva fan before getting into Gundam, I feel you. Shane’s a great pick, and I also really like The Ox-Bow Incident, Bend of the River, and The Tall T (especially if you’re also a noir fan).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh I loved the movie up until the ending. I'd happily re-watch it someday.

Oh man, I forgot how many times I read Shane when I was a kid. Great book.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that makes sense. You could probably stick to the John Ford/John Wayne combo, watch five or six of their collaborations and you'd have a pretty solid idea of what the established Western conventions were.

Gaius Marius posted:

Go watch Stagecoach for a very solid classic western that still has some meat on its bones for discussion and some incredible stunt work

I was thinking of doing that, yeah. Although The Searchers should be saved for last from all I've heard and read, as both the best and the most distinctive. Wayne's character ain't as smiling white meat babyface (pro-wrestling term for generic good guy) in that one.

therattle posted:

Oh man, I forgot how many times I read Shane when I was a kid. Great book.

I didn't know it was a book. I'm a bigger fan of reading than movies so I'll definitely have to check it out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Stagecoach rocks. I think about the directing in the climax of that movie all the time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Searchers is the greatest western story

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Stagecoach rocks. I think about the directing in the climax of that movie all the time.

this is probably both my favorite John Wayne and John Ford movie of the ones I've seen, although The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is up there for both

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was gonna say Rio Bravo before I realized that it was Hawks. Hope I'm not the only one who constantly mixes up Huston and Hawks.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Nyad was such a great movie. "It may look like a solitary sport, but it takes a team" from the end is the quote of the movie. It encapsulates all the personal growth involved

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

galenanorth posted:

Nyad was such a great movie. "It may look like a solitary sport, but it takes a team" from the end is the quote of the movie.

Shame it was all lies