Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Stuff like how the PGP algorithm was declared a munition, so people printed it out on T shirts and walked around with it. "Look at me, I'm walking through airport security carrying dangerous illegal military-grade weaponry!"

I still have my RSA Dolphin t-shirt! No, I never wore it in an airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

The people who would wear that shirt are the same kind of people who manage to get their Flipper Zero confiscated at airport security because they specifically brag to the TSA that it could theoretically be used to try to hack an airplane and then whine about it on the internet

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I thought that was the point of the shirt though. to get arrested and demonstrate how stupid the law is. that's how civil disobedience works

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

I thought that was the point of the shirt though. to get arrested and demonstrate how stupid the law is. that's how civil disobedience works
I guess I'd put it closer to "throwing food at paintings" than "Rosa Parks" on the civil disobedience tier list, but sure

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Any recommendations for books about exploring underground ruins/empires? Inspired mainly of course by Moria in LOTR & LOTR Online. Also Tombs of Atuan, CS Lewis' The Silver Chair, and video games Dark Souls, Hollow Knight, Skyrim's Blackreach and The Chasm in Genshin Impact. McKiernan and Bakker had their takes on Moria. D&D has Menzoberranzan and the Underdark. Jeff Long's Descent series is a horror take on it, as are the unrelated Descent movies about the cavers. There's Journey to the Center of the Earth and all the Hollow Earth stuff though I'm more interested in dark caverns and ruins than sunlit hollow earth concepts. I know there's a ton of labyrinth stuff like Maze Runner and... the movie Labyrinth, which I had the novelization of. Death Gate Cycle had a bit of what I was looking for in its various locations. Luminous Dead scratched that itch a bit recently.

Basically, I find it really cool running around deep underground in games and wonder if any books I've missed capture that well.

Adrian Tchaikovsky likes bugs, someone get him to write a Hollow Knight novel.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It seems like a weirdly rare subgenre. The beginning of Origin Complex is one of the most interesting takes on it that I’ve seen, but it doesn’t last. Definitely interested in more of this as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

bagrada posted:

Any recommendations for books about exploring underground ruins/empires? Inspired mainly of course by Moria in LOTR & LOTR Online. Also Tombs of Atuan, CS Lewis' The Silver Chair, and video games Dark Souls, Hollow Knight, Skyrim's Blackreach and The Chasm in Genshin Impact. McKiernan and Bakker had their takes on Moria. D&D has Menzoberranzan and the Underdark. Jeff Long's Descent series is a horror take on it, as are the unrelated Descent movies about the cavers. There's Journey to the Center of the Earth and all the Hollow Earth stuff though I'm more interested in dark caverns and ruins than sunlit hollow earth concepts. I know there's a ton of labyrinth stuff like Maze Runner and... the movie Labyrinth, which I had the novelization of. Death Gate Cycle had a bit of what I was looking for in its various locations. Luminous Dead scratched that itch a bit recently.

Basically, I find it really cool running around deep underground in games and wonder if any books I've missed capture that well.

Howard Waldrop wrote a Frankenstein's Monster in the Hollow Earth story; Black as the Pit From Pole to Pole.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bagrada posted:

Basically the origin of this trope are Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness and The Shadow Out of Time, would definitely suggest reading those if you like expeditions to underground ruins.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Origin Complex - I'll have to add that to the list, I really liked book 1 and forgot the sequel was out.

Zork - I played the game once but never saw that book. I miss when games had boxes, let alone boxes with cool poo poo like that. I think my dad brought home a copy of the game on floppies. I got eaten by a grue a few times then moved on to Questron and Ultima 3 and never went back. Speaking of, Ultima V was another inspiration, the bottoms of the dungeons all opened up into a connected underworld that was cool as hell at the time.

Black as the Pit - I'll have to look for that one, I've had the poem that title is from memorized since a grade school classmate had it written in their notebook. We used to draw each other line mazes to trade back and forth. It's all connected!

I've read Lovecraft through a few times but those are good examples as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bagrada posted:

Zork - I played the game once but never saw that book. I miss when games had boxes, let alone boxes with cool poo poo like that. I think my dad brought home a copy of the game on floppies. I got eaten by a grue a few times then moved on to Questron and Ultima 3 and never went back. Speaking of, Ultima V was another inspiration, the bottoms of the dungeons all opened up into a connected underworld that was cool as hell at the time.

https://mocagh.org/infocom/zork-manual.pdf

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The Conan novella Red Nails fits pretty well.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Every time I check this thread, my TBR grows. Painful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Prolonged Panorama posted:

The Conan novella Red Nails fits pretty well.

Arguably the pinnacle of Howard's Conan writing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's not like the whole book but The Weirdstone of Brisingamen has a pretty long segment about going through a cave system and squeezing through stupidly tiny tunnels

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Runcible Cat posted:

Howard Waldrop wrote a Frankenstein's Monster in the Hollow Earth story; Black as the Pit From Pole to Pole.

This sounds dope. Like it’s doing some Alan Moore League of Extraordinary Gentlemen stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's not like the whole book but The Weirdstone of Brisingamen has a pretty long segment about going through a cave system and squeezing through stupidly tiny tunnels

You should read The Weirdstone of Brisingamen anyway, along with both sequels. And basically everything else Alan Garner has ever written. But especially Weirdstone, because it's a fantastic book with the best title ever.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Gutter Prayer (Black Iron Legacy #1) by Gareth Hanrahan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWQ6397/

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

zoux posted:

And then of course it ends with rain on Arrakis which would kill all the sandworms and destroy all spice production and make the fremen jihad and the Golden Path impossible. Which I guess is good?

It's not really implied that the entire planet is covered by rain is it? It's a localized miracle proving he is the one.

I'm also unsure if it established in the movie that worms die from water.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

bagrada posted:

Literally for children but Dave Morris' Chronicles of The Magi has a bunch of dungeon exploring, so too does The Fighting Fantasy series.

Robert Silverberg's Majipoor setting has a very large Underground and Labyrinth

Some entries in the Fantasy and Science Fiction encyclopedia that might help
https://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/ruins_and_futurity
https://sf-encyclopedia.com/fe/edifice
https://sf-encyclopedia.com/fe/labyrinths

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

bagrada posted:

12 Miles Below. Tense survival in weird underground post-apocolyptic procgen hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thotsky posted:

It's not really implied that the entire planet is covered by rain is it? It's a localized miracle proving he is the one.

I'm also unsure if it established in the movie that worms die from water.

They drown the little maker to get the water of life.

I will say I probably use “and how can this BEEEEE” the most out of any movie quote, so thanks lady that dubbed Alicia Witt

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody read any of the non-Howard Conan stuff? I've heard a lot of the De Camp stuff is pretty middling or bland, but it seems like there's a bunch of other random one-off novels by other authors floating around, anybody have any they'd recommend?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody read any of the non-Howard Conan stuff? I've heard a lot of the De Camp stuff is pretty middling or bland, but it seems like there's a bunch of other random one-off novels by other authors floating around, anybody have any they'd recommend?

For better or worse, the general consensus seems to be that Robert Jordan's Conan novels are the best non-howard Conan. They're considerably more spank-y than his Wheel of Time books ever get, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I remember liking some of the Dark Horse comics from like 20 years ago by Kurt Busiek, but can't really remember any of them now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember liking some of the Dark Horse comics from like 20 years ago by Kurt Busiek, but can't really remember any of them now.

The marvel adaptations of Howard's stories from the 70s are absolutely excellent, and quite expensive even in reprint editions.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I've looked for these a couple of times in the past couple of years and they were weirdly hard to track down, I wonder if they'll ever get a reprint.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For better or worse, the general consensus seems to be that Robert Jordan's Conan novels are the best non-howard Conan. They're considerably more spank-y than his Wheel of Time books ever get, though.

Hmmm okay, that sounds sort of the opposite of what I'm looking for honestly. What I'm craving is fantasy that shoots for more of a weird, mythic vibe or atmosphere, rather than a fully fleshed out or defined world. Basically the kind of fantasy that's content to say "a bunch of trippy poo poo is happening, probably because of this wizard you haven't heard of before, or some weird snake god, no further questions" as long as it's in service of a certain style.

A lot of the Conan stories sort of hit that spot for me, also Fafhrd & Grey Mouser, Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, the Elric novels, and to a lesser extent The Face in the Frost. I suppose Book of the New Sun might be this way too but it's also possible it mostly explains what's going on and I'm too thick to have picked up on it.

I suppose it's possible that Jordan's Conan stuff kind of hits the same mark but based on my experience with the first four or five WoT books, it really seems like he's one of the progenitors of a lot of modern fantasy that needs to make sure you know the last six generations of rulers of Bucksnort Kingdom, as well as their favorite flavors of ice cream

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Karl Edward Wagner's Kane novels are what you're looking for, most likely.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kane, definitely. You might also enjoy Tanith Lee's Tales from the Flat Earth, although they're more fantasy-mythology rather than sword and sorcery like Conan or Kane.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Jedit posted:

Anyone know anything about Godkiller by Hannah Kaner? I saw it on my latest fruitless quest for Exordia and was curious.

It's been getting raves in some of the other bookish communities I hang out in (I haven't read it myself), along with The Will of the Many. I did read The Will of the Many which was competent adult Roman Empire magic school (magic college?) but wasn't particularly compelling for me.

What I did finish recently was Fathomfolk by Eliza Chan.

It is marketed as Jade City meets the Little Mermaid and that is...technically accurate in the sense that:
1) one of the POVs is Asian Ariel, but mature and jaded, as a half-siren protagonist trying to work within the broken system;
2) another POV character is Asian Ursula as a self-interested chaos agent/antagonist exploiting the broken system
3) the third POV is also Asian Ariel, but as a water dragon princess who is immature and willfully naive and plays at revolution to rage against the broken system

and there is a whole Asian Ariel the half-siren bargains her voice siren song to Ursula and Ursula has a whole power grabbing scheme based on having it storyline.

The nicest thing I can say about the book is the cover is gorgeous and by the same artist who did Daughter of the Moon Goddess and if you liked that book and wanted something with less love triangles and an attempt at more politics, then maybe try this.

If you liked Jade City/Green Bone Saga for its nuanced and complex characters, well-thought-out world building and politics, exploration of themes, solid plotting, and effective action sequences, you will not get those in this book because it's all shallow aesthetics without substance.

Leng fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 7, 2024

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Leng posted:

It's been getting raves in some of the other bookish communities I hang out in (I haven't read it myself), along with The Will of the Many. I did read The Will of the Many which was competent adult Roman Empire magic school (magic college?) but wasn't particularly compelling for me.

I didn't think Will of the Many was incredible but it's got decent pacing and kept my attention.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Karl Edward Wagner's Kane novels are what you're looking for, most likely.

Michael Shea's Nifft the Lean too.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
finished exordia

someone described the broken earth series in a way that stuck in my mind: "A really great series I will never ever reread". swap 'series' for 'book' and that describes exordia for me. by the end i was begging it to give the humans a win! any win! i wasn't expecting it to be so grim. i'm almost surprised that the author left any humans left

great book, couldn't put it down. definitely has stuck with me. voted 5 stars on goodreads

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

bagrada posted:

Aching God by mike Shel

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

branedotorg posted:

Aching God by mike Shel

I wish this were the case, but the actual “explore a complex” part is… maybe 20% of the book, at most? It’s mostly a lot of travel to get to the spooky place, then a fairly abrupt ending.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

MockingQuantum posted:

A lot of the Conan stories sort of hit that spot for me, also Fafhrd & Grey Mouser, Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, the Elric novels, and to a lesser extent The Face in the Frost. I suppose Book of the New Sun might be this way too but it's also possible it mostly explains what's going on and I'm too thick to have picked up on it.

Check out Fifth Head of Cerberus before BotNS -- specifically part 2 has what I think you're looking for and a surprise appearance of Night Children!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought they were top-notch (like most of Busiek's stuff), but the only thing I remember clearly is the coda to a 2-3 floppy sequence. Conan comes to a frontier town, spots the guy who got away, runs him down after a chase, and kills him.

Mayor: "Guards! Guards! You criminal! What have you done?"

Conan: "This man betrayed his fellows, stole our food, fled when we were in danger, and left us for dead. He broke his troth and fellowship, and I vowed he would meet his end on the point of my sword. Now, good sir, my Brythanian is not very good and I do not understand what you said to me." *Turns to look the mayor in the eye, still gripping his sword* "Could you repeat it?"

Mayor: "Only that in our town we welcome those who love justice! Welcome, friend!" *waves back guards*

Re: Exordia. Finished it a week or two ago. Not sure what I can add to the discourse except that I found it to be a rich, complex, tight work that managed to fit in Groverhaus smoothly somehow, which is something I'll never be able to do if I write for 100 more years.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

branedotorg posted:

Aching God by mike Shel

Kestral posted:

I wish this were the case, but the actual “explore a complex” part is… maybe 20% of the book, at most? It’s mostly a lot of travel to get to the spooky place, then a fairly abrupt ending.

I did like this book but yeah the actual dungeon part wasn't very exciting. I wasn't surprised when I saw the author wrote Pathfinder and D&D modules for a living. I've got books 2 and 3 on my Audible from a sale when I get around to them.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I have some good ones to add to my reading backlog.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sebmojo posted:

og dune movie was extremely bad i feel like i'm being gaslit
every time I read "dune movie" all I can think is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

even though that was a miniseries, I just want everyone here to see it again :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

DACK FAYDEN posted:

every time I read "dune movie" all I can think is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

even though that was a miniseries, I just want everyone here to see it again :shobon:

I like the lady's tiny bowler hat