Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
How many centuries are we looking at here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I regret to inform you but your wall has tumours and they have spread far

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

kid sinister posted:

How many centuries are we looking at here?

I'm going to go with 20.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So does a troll live in that little door or does it go back to a Nazi bunker? There's so many possibilities!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Have you guys never left the US or something sometimes stone walls are old and crazy and awesome

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

peanut posted:

Have you guys never left the US or something sometimes stone walls are old and crazy and awesome

I've always wondered this about Europeans: do you guys get sore arms from reaching for things to be smug at Americans about?

I would have to leave the continent to see a wall like that. it would cost several thousand dollars. most people only ever see the one continent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ComradePyro posted:

I've always wondered this about Europeans: do you guys get sore arms from reaching for things to be smug at Americans about?

No because we're loving swimming in them. Any other stupid-as-gently caress questions, English?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“Look at ze Americano who has never enjoyed the sensual pleasure of a very old, janky wall”

:smug:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Europeans and their lack of pyramids

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Latin America has cool walls like that hth

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is it South America where one of the civilizations built structures by chipping away at the stones to make them fit together perfectly. So that mortar wasn’t needed, and these structures have withstood some pretty decent seismic activity up in the mountains.

When I saw some stuff on that, it was pretty amazing. Granted, I will never get to see it in person.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Orvin posted:

Is it South America where one of the civilizations built structures by chipping away at the stones to make them fit together perfectly. So that mortar wasn’t needed, and these structures have withstood some pretty decent seismic activity up in the mountains.

When I saw some stuff on that, it was pretty amazing. Granted, I will never get to see it in person.

No they used UFOs and LASERs and poo poo. A scientist called Von Däniken has written many well-researched peer-reviewed studies on it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

And yet here we are with actual lasers and America still chooses to use wood and structurally supporting drywall.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No because we're loving swimming in them. Any other stupid-as-gently caress questions, English?

right, that's sort of why it confuses me. I'm going to flee my state later this year because my government wants to kill me, and like... you guys are smug about the reasons my life sucks because I live here and walls being old? bizarre energy

at some point, a lot of you guys missed the memo that doing this kind of thing went from punching up to punching down and it's uh. not a cute look to just browbeat people about it all the time. It's like playing basketball with kindergardeners and being smug about all the dunks you're landing. fish in a barrel, pal.

Isn't it kind of annoying when people say "Europeans" as though that was a valid way to talk about a hugely diverse group of people scattered across an entire continent? the US is roughly the same size as europe and it's annoying when you guys go "Americans" for the exact same reason.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
like if I swung in on a rope to screech "LOL EUROS JUST CAN'T RESIST HAVING LAND WARS" it would not be an epic burn, I would be making myself look like a gigantic rear end in a top hat. mystifying that it looks any different on your end when you do it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Orvin posted:

Yeah that's Andean construction. Cuzco is full of it. When the colonizers did their thing, they built their buildings on top of the Inca foundations. So you have 17th century Spanish colonial buildings built on top of these trapezoidal dark gray rock foundations.

And yeah, they are amazing. The guides' favorite trick is to show how you can't slide a piece of paper in between the huge, irregularly shaped blocks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ComradePyro posted:

like if I swung in on a rope to screech "LOL EUROS JUST CAN'T RESIST HAVING LAND WARS" it would not be an epic burn, I would be making myself look like a gigantic rear end in a top hat. mystifying that it looks any different on your end when you do it

But that's true? :confused:

Us Americans are all about the land, sea, and air wars!:freep:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Theres lots of stuff to poo poo on America and Americans about (Canada and Canadians too) but holy gently caress. "Lol amerikkkans and there lack of stone walls LOLO"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
America had that one Stonewall, at least.

No not that one, the other one.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's a historical fact that Americans hate our walls because they envy us and want them to be torn down.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I just discovered a thing that exists and could very well produce much crappy construction.
Or possibly not crappy construction.

3d printing houses.
https://printerra.ca/

https://builtin.com/3d-printing/3d-printed-house

https://architizer.com/blog/practice/details/3d-printed-buildings-future-or-gimmick/

https://www.uwindsor.ca/engineering/civil/142/3d-printed-housing

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

But that's true? :confused:

Us Americans are all about the land, sea, and air wars!:freep:

Yeah, it's true, but it's punching down, as OP noted. Low-hanging fruit.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
We have stone walls that have been jankily repaired in the United States. A stone wall doesn’t have to be 1000 years old to look like that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
St. Augustine has cool walls.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nenonen posted:

It's a historical fact that Americans hate our walls because they envy us and want them to be torn down.

We weren't keen on Berlin, you got us there.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

And yet here we are with actual lasers and America still chooses to use wood and structurally supporting drywall.

Completely unrelated, but I own the costume in your AV. Best $15 Halloween gag costume I've ever bought. I removed the inflatable boner part because even uninflated it hangs like a half chub and gets in the way. When you remove it entirely its basically just a dick sock that you can tuck in to make the costume G rated.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

I've been lightly following WASP for a few years because a 3d printed house seems pretty awesome. The only concern I have are the materials used to "print" the structure and their off-gassing potential, there are I am sure several downsides to building in this way but overall it seems like a cool idea. I am not necessarily onboard with it "solving our house crisis" since that is a multifaceted issue that involves zoning, parking requirements, how we build communities, and so on... Cheap small homes will only go so far.

Also that opinion piece is pretty loving salty... LOL

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Platystemon posted:

Coquina! I impressed a Petrology professor by knowing what that was when we were learning about types of limestones, because years earlier I'd taken a guided tour of Old St. Augustine before getting drunk there that evening.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
3D printing the structure of a home: fine, I guess? but framing out a house is just one of many, many steps in building a house. You still have to:
- install electrical, plumbing, ducts, maybe gas lines
- insulate and add vapor barriers
- drywall the interior, put up sheathing on the exterior, and generally make sure that wind and weather stay on the correct side of the walls
- probably a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten about

None of that can be done by a printer, it's all human-driven labor.

Also we already have low-labor housing construction, it's called prefab houses. You don't have to haul a giant printer to the build site, you just deliver the house in sections and assemble it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There was a 3D printed city as a plot point in that one Deus Ex game, checkmate tech pessimists!

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I can't find a picture of this on google, but in (North Central, at least) Florida, when the water level in the rivers are low enough you can sometimes see where we got the idea to build walls out of it from!

The Castillo de San Marcos, a fort on the shore near St. Augustine, has walls made of coquina. According to a tour I went on in 4th grade, it was notorious for being impossibly tough, you can still see where cannon shots landed on the walls. The shells give it a much greater ability to absorb the energy of the impact, essentially acting like rebar in concrete and the crumple zone of your car.

for every inch of stone you make it through, you've created an inch of coquina's worth of powder between you and the next inch. instead of blowing a hole through a strong, brittle material you pulverized a small piece of softer material. I think modern composite armor does the same kinda thing, so if I'm right about that, the average fort wall was using the equivalent of WW2 steel tank armor and the Spaniards had the equivalent of modern composite ceramic plating.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wall envy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 8, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

rjmccall posted:

We have stone walls that have been jankily repaired in the United States. A stone wall doesn’t have to be 1000 years old to look like that.
I know right, that wouldn’t look out of place at all in New England mill towns where the river kept eating chunks of mill and factory. It would probably have some more modern patches of concrete, too, though, with a high chance of misspelled graffiti

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sash! posted:

So does a troll live in that little door or does it go back to a Nazi bunker? There's so many possibilities!

That's a hearth.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

titty_baby_ posted:

Completely unrelated, but I own the costume in your AV. Best $15 Halloween gag costume I've ever bought. I removed the inflatable boner part because even uninflated it hangs like a half chub and gets in the way. When you remove it entirely its basically just a dick sock that you can tuck in to make the costume G rated.

Sorry but that two-hander does not sound very powerful to me

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Anne Whateley posted:

I know right, that wouldn’t look out of place at all in New England mill towns where the river kept eating chunks of mill and factory. It would probably have some more modern patches of concrete, too, though, with a high chance of misspelled graffiti

Years ago in my home town someone was going round spray painting pentagrams and talking about how "satin" rules.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wesleywillis posted:

Years ago in my home town someone was going round spray painting pentagrams and talking about how "satin" rules.
They ain't wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slugworth posted:

They ain't wrong

Your avatar just works with this statement.