Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Saithir posted:

It's apparently from late last year sets, but I somehow managed to avoid buying any of these and only got my first one in the McLaren.

Oh, game changing piece. Use it all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
any way to find out the next GWP? I'm not that enamoured of the flower shop and I have a rare ~£200 list of sets I'd like to get, just trying to work out timings

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't seen any rumors for anything new recently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Supposedly they’re doing a Bumblebee from Transformers to go with the Optimus later this year.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Supposedly they’re doing a Bumblebee from Transformers to go with the Optimus later this year.

It better be G1 Volkswagen Beetle Bumblebee :argh:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Saithir posted:

It's apparently from late last year sets, but I somehow managed to avoid buying any of these and only got my first one in the McLaren.

that and the 1x1x2/3 tall piece are devil's sorcery

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Trip Report from the Fox/Owl/Squirrel
It's a cool set, I built the owl and ended up one-piling it after I was asked to open five bags in four steps.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Infinitum posted:

It better be G1 Volkswagen Beetle Bumblebee :argh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm still waiting on the fox to arrive and kind of forgot it was a 3-in-1 cause I plan to display it as the fox. Wondering if I should briefly do the alt models first then.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Anyone built Rivendell? Tempted to use my tax return/insiders point to finally splurge on it. It seems fantastic, but curious about the actual build.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

It's fantastic.

In my Top 5 sets of all time

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, it’s a really really fun build.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I'm new to the GWP party, the current Flower Store says it is the first of four. Does that mean the next 3 will be these stores, or do they usually spread them out with others in between? I am just planning when I want to make my next big purchase, I used to do them in physical stores!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doug Sisk posted:

I'm new to the GWP party, the current Flower Store says it is the first of four. Does that mean the next 3 will be these stores, or do they usually spread them out with others in between? I am just planning when I want to make my next big purchase, I used to do them in physical stores!

The assumption is that it'll be like the Houses of the World which spread out across 2023.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My Animal Crossing sets arrived today, and my daughter has decided to build them all.

The minifigs range from 'pretty good' to 'that ain't right,' but she's enjoying the building the scenery a lot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TheMadMilkman posted:

My Daughter's Animal Crossing sets arrived today

;)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

VaultAggie posted:

Anyone built Rivendell? Tempted to use my tax return/insiders point to finally splurge on it. It seems fantastic, but curious about the actual build.

It was a joy to build. Spread it out over like a month with the kids

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Let me pretend!

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
ah crap, the Bumblebee set looks like the Michael Bay version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6vrpKV4p8

I am disappoint. I was going to put him next to Optimus in my cabinet

E: Hmm maybe not, it looks like that's just art that's been used for the video thumbnail. Fingers crossed.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 7, 2024

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My daughter dumped all of her savings from her piggy bank onto her bed and was counting it all up. I asked her what she was planning to buy and she pulled out her Lego pricelist of planned purchases. She just got the cat playhouse today. Theater is next.

I bought the ornithopter for my husband as a surprise present when we finally get to go see Dune 2 this weekend, eee! Lego family best family :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SadisTech posted:

ah crap, the Bumblebee set looks like the Michael Bay version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6vrpKV4p8

I am disappoint. I was going to put him next to Optimus in my cabinet

E: Hmm maybe not, it looks like that's just art that's been used for the video thumbnail. Fingers crossed.

It's 100% the G1 Bumblebee, there's no need to worry at all.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

moana posted:

My daughter dumped all of her savings from her piggy bank onto her bed and was counting it all up. I asked her what she was planning to buy and she pulled out her Lego pricelist of planned purchases. She just got the cat playhouse today. Theater is next.

I bought the ornithopter for my husband as a surprise present when we finally get to go see Dune 2 this weekend, eee! Lego family best family :)

That's seriously adorable, and minus the piggy bank pretty much how I manage my hobby, keeping a spreadsheet with upcoming releases, what I'd be willing to pay for them, how badly I want them, et cetera.

Anyway, new Ideas competition is out. 1980s theme, with previously used IPs (Tron, Indiana Jones, et cetera) explicitly barred.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I recently finished the ornithopter, its so loving cool. never thought we would see a dune lego tie in, how unexpected and cool. When I bought it, it was sold out everywhere except for a single one at a barnes and noble a few towns over. I reserved it and when i went to go pick it up, the guy at the counter asked for my ID and then radioed his manager to get it from the back room like they were handing off some kind of secret equipment. I thought that was amusing.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Skios posted:

Anyway, new Ideas competition is out. 1980s theme, with previously used IPs (Tron, Indiana Jones, et cetera) explicitly barred.

It's a shame you have to build the submissions in studio, that software is so annoying to use. Limited physical brick amounts aside, it's so much easier (and obviously more enjoyable) to just keep putting bricks together until it looks like it should.

Oh wait I read the rules again and I can submit photos of actual bricks. Hmmmm.

Saithir fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 7, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

moana posted:

If it's the Lego Friends Andrea's Theater, it's a great build and my daughter loves it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SadisTech posted:

All of the Lego leakers put random internet builds in their posts because they know that if they just posted the info they actually have, they'd only get to make 2 posts a year consisting mostly of text and numbers. It's annoying how many times it's gotten me, lol.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They just revealed the Batmans TAS set.

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1765743034736558572

Bigger than I expected from the first image.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
yuge

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

299.99$ apparently.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
What on earth is going on here

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

trevorreznik posted:

What on earth is going on here

I has to say Batman at the top so you know it's Batman.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair the lettering is done really well.

But I can't stop trying to figure out who would lay out their wall hangings like that. Lego your set designs are rad, but your home designs are baaaad.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
Meanwhile I've built yet another F1 thingy. I've bought myself the cheaper Cada Alfa Romeo. I paid like an equivalent of 18 dollars for it, which is not a bad price for 271 licensed (though not Lego original) pieces. Someone lately was asking if they're good enough, so I might as well write a bit about it.

Not gonna build a MOC for this one though, because it's even bigger in scale than the Speed Champions.

The build was pretty okay, a bit blocky but it's not a big build, so really hard to get all the curves right. There aren't really any fancy building techniques apart from this, which I thought was hilarious:

Both front and back suspensions use the mechanic tools in them - the front has the hexagonal wrench, the back one pictured here has the regular one and later on there are also screwdrivers attached to the wheels for the last bit. It also means I get two halves of a tools set leftover to use, because those come as a pack on a sprue.

The instructions... are. They're definitely a step back from Lego but there were only a few instances where I had to stop and think for a moment and maybe look at a next page or two to see how it should go together.

The piece quality on the other hand is very good. They clutch nicely, everything fits together like it should, nothing wants to fall off, and really the only difference I could see is that the recent Lego pieces have a lot of visible injection marks on them and the Cada ones don't. :colbert:

What I disliked was the stickers though. Like I get it, it's a licensed F1 set, it's gonna have stickers all over it, but somehow it feels a bit too much... The only printed part is the little info plaque, everything else is a sticker, there are even some that go across multiple parts, like the ones that go on the engine cover with the driver number or the Italian flag on the back wing.

So if you thought your BMW had a lot of these, think again ;) They even have stickers for tires, which was a bit disappointing - they don't want to hold onto the rubber in any way, so I gave up after trying to do just one of them (and there are 8 stickers for those, because the insides of the tires are also supposed to have markings). I could try my best, but since they're the hard slick tire markings on a clearly non-slick tire, I don't really give a poo poo. Maybe in a few years Cada will figure out how to print more than one piece per set.

So in one sentence, which I think sums up most of the non-Lego sets I've personally seen:

I don't hate it.

Saithir fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 7, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
That Lego Batman thing isn't for me, but it's probably the coolest thing they've done so far with the wall-mounted stuff.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah I like it

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Skios posted:

That Lego Batman thing isn't for me, but it's probably the coolest thing they've done so far with the wall-mounted stuff.

The 3D-ish Spidey was pretty cool, no?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Skios posted:

:hmmyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Saithir posted:

The 3D-ish Spidey was pretty cool, no?

No.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Skios posted:

Not to be rude, but did you forget Starry Night? It's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Great Wave is probably the best one, so far.

That Batman one looks pretty cool but is too big and too expensive for what it is.