Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Punished Chuck posted:

Did I just get killed by the ghost of one of my other characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Well, I didn't exactly *rescue* the puppy.

(Gonna go out on a limb and assume this doesn't count for the trophy...)

Also, I absolutely get Ditocoaf's earlier complaint - I'm half-convinced the character they give you for the tutorial in ADOM is immortal. I've fought my way through a truly insane horde of enemies and basically every weapon I've found to rust monsters and getting disarmed by master swordsmen. At this point all I have is a basic club, but nothing seems to be able to do any damage to me, so I just wail on them until my insane crit rate pops off a few times and puts them down. I think I need to restart with a different character.

Edit: Lol never mind - I wandered out of the village and immediately got jumped by a dozen bandits, couldn't escape the area, and got killed. RIP Ham, you sucked and were boring to play.

hamsauce666 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 7, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oops

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dogs are now indifferent to you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

symbolic posted:

no shame in turning it down to ITYTD imo, i couldn't even get past floor 3 on HNTR

HNTR's first floor felt harder than HMP due to the layout. I probably also need to stop doing the challenge rooms

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Found the Orange Crystal Plate Armor on D7....as an Oni.......

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

: Complete your Quest

So far so good.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Already missed two red gems.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

: Reach the Valley of the Dead

Honestly kinda want to stop here lol, but I've never ascended (a) 3.6 or (b) a tourist, so I guess I'll go to hell.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vadun posted:

Already missed two red gems.

the manual/guide literally tells you how to get them all

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

symbolic posted:

I don't claim to be a smart man

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

welcome posted:

: Reach the Valley of the Dead

Honestly kinda want to stop here lol, but I've never ascended (a) 3.6 or (b) a tourist, so I guess I'll go to hell.

:letsgo:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

symbolic posted:

The information, tips and techniques described in the following pages may re duce the challenge of the Illusion of Gaia. The Strategy General recommends that you attempt to solve puzzles and work through areas of the game on your own before turning to these pages for help. Once you've turned the page, you will lose your innocence!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Illusion of Gaia ftw, I haven’t played a game club game in uhhhhh quite a while but I’ll play it for sure. Might actually try or roguelike or two as well, maybe DoomRL and or Crawl

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

: Worship Jiyva

still getting killed pre-lair 90% of the time. a lot of my playthroughs involve getting hosed by a small mob and poor RNG and it's getting a bit tiring. still gonna try until the end though.

French Accent posted:

: Slay Sigmund

also missed this one.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

hey sub I slayed Sigmund a couple days ago but don't see the trophy in my case. also this is probably the only RL trophy I'm gonna get so I don't wanna miss it lol. no rush ofc :cheersdoge:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

American McGay posted:

The information, tips and techniques described in the following pages may re duce the challenge of the Illusion of Gaia. The Strategy General recommends that you attempt to solve puzzles and work through areas of the game on your own before turning to these pages for help. Once you've turned the page, you will lose your innocence!

I don't think it's even possible to get all 50 without it on your first playthrough. The first two thirds of the game have no backtracking and some of the gems are hidden behind weird, counterintuitive poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I will find them all without the guide easily.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

French Accent posted:

also missed this one.

tmfc posted:

hey sub I slayed Sigmund a couple days ago but don't see the trophy in my case. also this is probably the only RL trophy I'm gonna get so I don't wanna miss it lol. no rush ofc :cheersdoge:

i gotchu bros

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

i gotchu bros

the pc engine cover for nethack in your sig looks so badass lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nodded off for a second while playing Qud and accidentally walked into a mushroom. Hope the RNG on the cure isn't too bad this time.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Sub-Actuality posted:

i gotchu bros

I hate to be a pain, but I am also missing these trophies:
: Complete a Challenge Mode run
: Unlock any secret track

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

this is messed up

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Aston posted:

this is messed up

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Aston posted:

this is messed up

lmao

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

: Beat the Game
: Beat the game with an Angel Challenge

played on HNTR. first time getting past cybie, felt good to close it out. found a combat pistol on something like phobos 4 and cruised most of the rest of the way. I think in some ways the harder difficulties are maybe easier - you're a lot more likely to have a strong build online from more xp before you get to cyberdemon. missed 100% kills because I went to the containment area without thinking and had no way to bust down the wall

for people still figuring the game out, make sure to use cover to your advantage (enemies won't shoot at you if you're behind a wall with more than like 40 degree cover), and use your ears - you can tell what kind of enemies are around and their general direction by the noises they make if you have directional headphones. you can also blind-fire around corners or far away if you know where enemies are. somebody mentioned the phobos anomaly being tough - I've had the most success with sprinting in a zigzag back towards the doorway. the cacos will blast a lot of the lost souls and you can dodge many of their charges, but I usually end up eating a couple large healthpacks and losing most of my armor anyway (but I've been using pistol builds so maybe it's easier with a shotgun). the bruiser brothers aren't too tough if you use the cover of the doorways and sprint away when they get too close

now back to nethack...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Aston posted:

this is messed up

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

: Unlock three classes or races

Well, I got at least one trophy from the event

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Aston posted:

this is messed up

lmao

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Aston posted:

this is messed up

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Aston posted:

this is messed up

lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

unless it was a mistake not to specify the qud trophies dont say it has to be classic/permadeath mode and the other mode uses settlements as checkpoints, could be good to try to get some trophies if the permadeath/difficulty in RLs in an issue. plus the (optional) main quest and bigger side quests are more like what youd expect from a regular rpg, and while the opening is quite difficult after that it can be a lot easier if you arent rushing stuff cos theres nothing stopping you looking for items/levels in the giganitc world before you tackle the main dungeons. im absolutely not just trying to trick more people into playing it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

: Get three runes

I love this game lol. First time getting a Gnoll this far and it's such a great experience. "Guy what is good at magic and swords" is my favourite type of character to make in this game. Also a +9 vampiric lajatang helps.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

: Get three runes

I love this game lol. First time getting a Gnoll this far and it's such a great experience. "Guy what is good at magic and swords" is my favourite type of character to make in this game. Also a +9 vampiric lajatang helps.

hell yeah, gnolls are super fun. love that you can basically use anything as well as anything else so you're always adapting to what's going on instead of sticking to a narrow build

somebody mentioned using shops to ID stuff in nethack. is that just by like, seeing what price a shopkeeper will offer you and memorizing what sells for what? shopkeepers are not very helpful and just using random items is a good way to die

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

oh, this shopkeeper had a mimic in his stuff, that he let kill me so he could get my things. sitting there patiently while I wander around asking about potions, "yes, that one's 100 zorkmids :D"

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I need to start picking ashenzari again

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I need to start picking ashenzari again

Ash has changed a bunch. Curses are gone outside of ash. When you wander around, ash gives you a curse that you can put on an item of your choice. The curse comes with a boost to 4-10 skill groups (e.g., Ash offers you a curse of summoning and fighting and...). Cursing an item turns it into an artefact you can't take off, decursing an item permanently breaks it. Piety is based only on how many cursed slots you have.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

alright then

https://i.imgur.com/OsCW5yz.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Aston posted:

this is messed up

lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)