Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Ahhh my bad! Sorry Wasabi. Both you Chick are delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/YnSlsgJ.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

you got video of heaven???

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

when they swarm me and cling to my clothes it brings back childhood memories of June bugs landing on me and getting their little claws caught in my clothes

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Now I'm curious, can birds get dizzy in the same way we can? Or do their balance mechanisms work differently/are built to prevent that since they fly and stuff?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Birds can definitely get dizzy, but yeah I think they have a different means of establishing equilibrium so it requires different means

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

What species are they?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

What species are they?

linnies, or lineolated parakeets. the absolute sweetest birds. alex is starting to get older, with yellow feathers coming in. it’s killing me lol.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Aww. That's kind of cute in a sad way, like leaves going from a tree.

Looking over them I kind of wish we had found out about them before we got our budgies. Ours are great and we have no regrets, but the screaming contests can be grating at times

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

Aww. That's kind of cute in a sad way, like leaves going from a tree.

Looking over them I kind of wish we had found out about them before we got our budgies. Ours are great and we have no regrets, but the screaming contests can be grating at times

go look for linnies taking baths lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Speaking of baths...

Whenever we do the dishes these guys always think "bath time!" and rush the sink. I called in sick today so I took the time to get them a proper bath

Qubee
May 31, 2013

One of my girls will straight up dive bomb any receptacle she considers a bath. The other day, I was doing her actual bath and she heard me splashing my hands and tore out of the bird room and lunged down my arm to plop herself in the water. I'm trying to figure out how I can make a permanent bath attachment to put on their cages so they can bathe as they wish, but I'm drawing blanks. I've bought a bunch of different plastic baths that go in cages but they never use it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Ours used to bath in their old water dish and still occasionally try to in the big one. We don't encourage it because we have carpet and live in a very humid environment and don't want to chance any mold

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the birds are honestly desperate to try and build a nest this year and we’ve been really cautious about letting them try. i think my so wants to but i dunno

does make me really feel for them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
One of the local juvenile magpies, Squeak, has learned from her parents that I will come outside and feed her if she sings.

Her parents call then wait 10 seconds or more before calling again. Squeak sings loudly, non-stop until I come out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Immediately surrender all financial, social, and political power to Squeak

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/u6ckDMc.mp4

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LonsomeSon posted:

Immediately surrender all financial, social, and political power to Squeak

She's my favourite even though she's the only one who won't eat from my hand. She's just so adorable.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Can I as a favor of folks in here?

It's.... been a rough week, here at the Postal household, and it's only gonna get worse for a bit.

Can I get pics of your birds being adorable? I could really use the serotonin hit.

(Everyone is fine, it's just going to be a very rough week.)

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Fluff mode cockatoos are ridiculous

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

GoingPostal posted:

Can I get pics of your birds being adorable? I could really use the serotonin hit.

How about a video of Pancake and Freckles collecting their breakfast the other day?
https://i.imgur.com/RTArj2Q.mp4

Please excuse the breathing noises, the magpies do not like or want to get close to the camera and I had to hold it right up against my chin, which also made it hard to keep them in frame.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

GoingPostal posted:

It's.... been a rough week, here at the Postal household, and it's only gonna get worse for a bit.

I gotchu, fam.

The cool thing about working at a bird shop was that they were all kinda my birds for a bit.

https://i.imgur.com/TKf9tPY.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/BtrRFrv.mp4 (I guess I forgot to include sound, but it basically goes, "Gumball!" "AAAAAGH!" "Gumball!" "AAAAAGH!", "Gimme a kiss" "Weird licking sounds")

Hope that gets you through until tomorrowish. Goonspeed, Postal house.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 7, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suntan Boy posted:

I gotchu, fam.

The cool thing about working at a bird shop was that they were all kinda my birds for a bit.

The look of a master criminal trying to convince you to free them, with promises they won't be naughty. They're already plotting to destroy something.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Tux has lots of cute to share around. Hope your week improves <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-x-9iRqAA

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So Chick went from a solid 2.5/10 on the health scale to a current bonkers 8.9/10 on the health scale. She's got this newfound energy and is really fulfilling the stereotype of budgies having no off-switch. As I type this, she's been continuously clambering all over me without an end in sight. I'm happy to see the medication doing it's job and bringing her to her former glory, but it has also acted as a stark reminder of just how exhausting it can be to deal with budgies. Especially hormonal (read: horny) ones. Constant burrowing into my clothes, followed by a sharp bite, and god have mercy on my soul if I try and extricate her from my person. She either burrows deeper or viciously defends what she perceives as her territory. Her violent and bloodthirsty nature is made up for with the occasional (actually quite often) cute bonding moments where she'll sleep close to me and let me give her beak some bops.

https://streamable.com/c398je

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

GoingPostal posted:

Serra's weight goes from 130g to 150g about twice a year, coinciding with molting and general horniness.

Right now, she is on the upswing at 145g.

How is she so gigantic while apparently being a model of PEAK COCKATIEL HEALTH?!

Qubee posted:

So Chick went from a solid 2.5/10 on the health scale to a current bonkers 8.9/10 on the health scale. She's got this newfound energy and is really fulfilling the stereotype of budgies having no off-switch. As I type this, she's been continuously clambering all over me without an end in sight. I'm happy to see the medication doing it's job and bringing her to her former glory, but it has also acted as a stark reminder of just how exhausting it can be to deal with budgies. Especially hormonal (read: horny) ones. Constant burrowing into my clothes, followed by a sharp bite, and god have mercy on my soul if I try and extricate her from my person. She either burrows deeper or viciously defends what she perceives as her territory. Her violent and bloodthirsty nature is made up for with the occasional (actually quite often) cute bonding moments where she'll sleep close to me and let me give her beak some bops.

You have no idea how thrilled I am about this news. :derptiel:

Well, the healthy part. But a biting and burrowing bird is a healthy bird!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Qubee, she looks so much better!!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://streamable.com/750wbs

Minecraft music gets them absolutely jamming. The music quietens after about 20 seconds and then it's just Chick performing her debut solo album. Yeah she's doing so much better. Considering I've not heard a peep from her in months, and now she can barely keep quiet between her whistling and squawking. Sometimes she'll say "Whatcha doin" or "Naughty girl"

https://streamable.com/drea0d

Short one of Wasabi as she doesn't get to show enough love.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Suntan Boy posted:

I gotchu, fam.

https://i.imgur.com/TKf9tPY.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/BtrRFrv.mp4 (I guess I forgot to include sound, but it basically goes, "Gumball!" "AAAAAGH!" "Gumball!" "AAAAAGH!", "Gimme a kiss" "Weird licking sounds")

Hope that gets you through until tomorrowish. Goonspeed, Postal house.

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaa. AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

they're so precious, I'm dying, I am on the floor passing our

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Qubee posted:

This is just the very best news! That she's feeling well enough to be so feisty is miraculous :3:

(Also Wasabi is a perfect precious little angel)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Qubee posted:

Thats great to hear

And also makes me glad we only have males

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

GoingPostal posted:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

I legitimately thought this was a rabbit in loaf position for a sec. What a glorious birb!

Captain Log posted:

How is she so gigantic while apparently being a model of PEAK COCKATIEL HEALTH?!
She is MAGNIFICENT. please tell her that I love her.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
oh my god, so many adorable birds. Ahhhhh the serotonin hit.

Captain Log posted:

I'm still stuck on 'Why is Serra shaped like a square with a triangle on top."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

GoingPostal posted:

oh my god, so many adorable birds. Ahhhhh the serotonin hit.

I'm still stuck on 'Why is Serra shaped like a square with a triangle on top."

The answer is apparently, "Muscles."

I don't really believe it, either.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I think it's the 12 dollar pizzas

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I think it's the 12 dollar pizzas

To be clear, it's 12 one dollar pizzas, not one twelve dollar pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Eejit posted:

To be clear, it's 12 one dollar pizzas, not one twelve dollar pizza.

:hmmyes:

Also, her and Blue are starting to get a little less stupid around each other. But then again, Blue will always try to follow her around by flying. Despite spending the majority of his life not flying, Blue is getting pretty good at it. But he cannot land worth a poo poo.

Which means this frequently happens -

- Serra flies to me

- Blue tries to follow, but cannot land

- Serra gets startled and flies away like a heat seeking missile

- Blue gets startled and flies away like a hummingbird with two right wings

- The start flapping around the condo without any idea where they are going

- Three to five times, they re-startle each other while flying

- I end up having to find one of them wedged between the blinds of a window or clutching a hanging jacket while upside-down

Pictured - Their relationship