Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

btw Darby is a loving genius for doing this Mount Everest thing, because I don't think very many people know the difference between the actual peak of the mountain (which he literally, legally cannot attempt) and Everest Base Camp, which is relatively pretty safe.

sorry what? it is not illegal to summit everest. what is the issue with darby? is this like a contractual thing with aew?

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wonder if you need to have a proven amount of experience actually climbing to do the summit cause of the risks involved

Edit: I mean I could look it up online but I have FF7 rebirth to play and am lazy so I trust you people to look it up and not lie to me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You have to get a permit which costs $$$$ and hire a team including local guides, reputable places to arrange this will ask for some kind of climbing experience or proof that you’re at least on the lower end of the ‘is likely to die horrifically if we let them attempt this’ scale and other places will just take your money and have the sherpas drag your rear end as high as they can.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Getting to base camp is still probably a lot of work. I couldn’t do it, personally.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's illegal for darby to do it. you must be this tall to summit everest

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hate camping. Where's the base hotel

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

darby cant climb mt. everest because he would try to jump off it

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

they removed mount everest because too many people were fuckin around up there. impossible for darby to climb it

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

mt everest is bugged you gotta reload your world state

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Joey McChrist posted:

I hear if you clip the base camp just right you can fall through the world and see all the polygons!

Anyway back to hell thread stuff..the rating and tonight's Collision attendance sure does show Tony needs to rethink a lack of promotion for TV matches!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Joey McChrist posted:

lol (DSP climbing Mt. Everest) the summit glitched!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Getting to base camp is still probably a lot of work. I couldn’t do it, personally.

its just walking, you can do it infact anyone can

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

post hole digger posted:

sorry what? it is not illegal to summit everest. what is the issue with darby? is this like a contractual thing with aew?

He doesn't have the necessary experience and I don't think he has the correct window to legally climb to the summit.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Look who's missing from the Announce section

It's Kevin Kelly lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Nerdlord Actual posted:

It's Kevin Kelly lol

if he was actually gone I'd probably try the shows he was on again

not gonna get my hopes up though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nerdlord Actual posted:

It's Kevin Kelly lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

He doesn't have the necessary experience and I don't think he has the correct window to legally climb to the summit.

The season starts in April and the only requirement for a permit he might not meet (assuming he hasn’t already just gone and done it in one of these random training times he’s been away from the company and not made a big deal about it) is having climbed another bigass mountain in Nepal.

He may intend to try and get that done while he’s there and use the power of $$$$ to get his permit at the same time, or maybe you can throw even more $$$$ at the government and just get a permit when you’re backed by a billionaire.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He has the money to be able to summit.

Funny (not haha) fact, the increased permit prices that were meant so that only the dedicated would climb has actually increased deaths because only the executive hobby climbers can afford.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Cavauro posted:

it's illegal for darby to do it. you must be this tall to summit everest

loving :lol: this is my new favorite Cav post.

It made me picture Darby climbing Everest in his huge lifts lol

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh goddammit its still there

I thought I got rid of that loving thing

edit: loving hell I'm still not sure who bought that for me

Nerdlord Actual fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 7, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Saw a link someone just posted elsewhere with Darby’s comments on his training

https://www.sportskeeda.com/aew/news-people-coughing-blood-darby-allin-describes-intense-training-ahead-major-climb

quote:

“I flew to so many different countries and so many different mountains I’ve climbed. It’s been gnarly; it’s been so gnarly. I could talk for an hour about what happened on those mountains and how gnarly — people were coughing up blood, c****ing their pants. Meanwhile, I felt completely fine. (...) So, it’s been crazy but, by the end of the training, I finished everything with flying colors, and they told me, ‘You have what it takes to climb Mount Everest.’ So the only thing that’s gonna stop me is either an avalanche or a Yeti."

Sounds like he probably got the relevant experience to tick the boxes, dudes going for the summit :shrug:

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
people were cooking their pants?!?!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You get desperate on the mountain

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

“c****ing their pants”

oh mah gawd…

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

wait is darby allin actually an accomplished mountaineer??? what in gods name lol

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

hes been flying to weird countries basically every free moment he gets and climbing lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that fuckin rules i knew he had been 'training' to climb everest but it didnt seem like there were ever details on what he was actually doing. man, insane respect. drat.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hes going to jump off it onto a bunch of chairs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

"oh yeah willow has been taking violin lessons from the concertmaster of the new york philharmonic when shes not wrestling, i thought everyone just knew that...? not really a big deal"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Darby has just been climbing up random cliffs in Appalachian hollers, asking if it’s okay if he does a coffin drop into some tables.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gumball Gumption posted:

He has the money to be able to summit.

Funny (not haha) fact, the increased permit prices that were meant so that only the dedicated would climb has actually increased deaths because only the executive hobby climbers can afford.

That's funny haha.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they should fire JR tired of that old buffoon

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't want JR to do a whole show but he's great for special matches and sit down interviews so I'm glad he's still around

The funny think with Kevin Kelly is there was a decent amount of rumors that he some heat with New Japan with how he left so he probably burnt that bridge

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wouldn't want JR to do a whole show but he's great for special matches and sit down interviews so I'm glad he's still around

The funny think with Kevin Kelly is there was a decent amount of rumors that he some heat with New Japan with how he left so he probably burnt that bridge

He's never going to get that gig back, Charlton, Gino and Walker do well enough without him

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Lol Okada isn't worth anywhere close to what he's being paid, but good on him for getting that bag I guess.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they should fire JR tired of that old buffoon

The "promotional" content he's been putting out is a fireable offense on its own. Can't believe they keep putting him out there for that sort of stuff

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Lol Okada isn't worth anywhere close to what he's being paid, but good on him for getting that bag I guess.

Did Okada or Tony Khan release or confirm the amount of his contract? I always take any AEW money number with a grain of salt because none of that is released to the public and I think a lot of the dirtsheet writers are full of it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Duke Pukem posted:

Did Okada or Tony Khan release or confirm the amount of his contract? I always take any AEW money number with a grain of salt because none of that is released to the public and I think a lot of the dirtsheet writers are full of it

I think Tony wanted that number out there. I think it's absolutely accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Wtf, Okada absolutely deserves the SLOM Tony is giving him.