Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I think maybe you are misremembering the order of scenes. She took the thopter from wherever the main settlement was that her sietch migrated to to the weird mystic temple Paul is at. It makes perfect sense. This is also the first time she is seeing Paul since he drank the water.

I thought she went from the thopter to the big meeting where Paul does his tent preacher but - I probably am recalling this wrong.

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Thing is not depicted in the movie" isn't the same as "missing footage", fix your brain

I hate being the one to tell you this, but the have been cuts to the film. Entire characters have been filmed and edited out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

moths posted:

I hate being the one to tell you this, but the have been cuts to the film. Entire characters have been filmed and edited out!

They are all hanging out off screen with the bagpipes Atreides and the pug.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

I thought she went from the thopter to the big meeting where Paul does his tent preacher but - I probably am recalling this wrong.

I also remember her arriving in thopter to revive Paul who had the gall to drink a graal infront of y'all

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

moths posted:

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
On the Chani ornithopter thing: I paid close attention this time. The previous scene takes place at the large southern sietch, where it's revealed that Paul was not among the northern Fremen who arrived by worm. They go to look for him. This is why Chani arrives to the "water of life temple" by ornithopter (and I like how Jessica being there before her implies she knew exactly where to look for him).

On the Arab/Islamic erasure (minor spoiler) I noticed on my second viewing that just after the wide shot of Paul and the fundamentalists charging during the assault on the Sardaukar, when we see the Fremen bursting out of the ground, one of them pretty clearly yells "ya hya chouhada," and I was glad they snuck that in there. Might have heard it wrong but I'm almost certain.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YggdrasilTM posted:

You need to PREVENT ANY POSSIBLE QUESTION or someone, somewhere, will say that there are plot holes!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

moths posted:

Yeah, you're misremembering. She takes the ornithopter to the temple where Paul drank the Water of Life and lies in a coma. They all have already been in the south for a bit when she takes the flight.

You can probably also read it as a sign of desperation on her part. Here she is a Fremen through and through, but she's so worried about her outworld boyfriend that she doesn't wait to summon a worm and just hops on the most convenient transport available.

the heebie-gbs posted:

On the Chani ornithopter thing: I paid close attention this time. The previous scene takes place at the large southern sietch, where it's revealed that Paul was not among the northern Fremen who arrived by worm. They go to look for him. This is why Chani arrives to the "water of life temple" by ornithopter (and I like how Jessica being there before her implies she knew exactly where to look for him).

I don't think this is quite right. I don't recall a "Paul has gone missing and we must search for him scene".Chani sees Paul peel off on a worm by himself after they've crossed into the south. She also heard him say he would do what needed to be done, so I think she knows implicitly where he has gone. Her reaction when finding him in the temple, something like "I can't believe you really did it," seems to back this up. Jessica knows exactly where he is because she told him to drink the Water of Life, she ordered the priestess at the temple to let him drink it, and her prescience tells her he will drink it.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
The "we must search for him" line is 100% in there. Watched it yesterday and it stuck out because I was really dialed into that sequence of events.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I don't remember that first scene but why would you want an extended scene of Rabban walking from a room towards a ship?

It's just weird that everyone is in the throne room with a buncha Sardukar guarding the only entrance as Paul's army is attacking and then Rabban is suddenly outside hauling rear end to an ornithopter while everyone else is still in the throne room.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

There's a quick shot of Feyd and Rabban making eye contact before the latter leaves the throne room right as the attack starts.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Whenever Chani's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "where's Chani?"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd have cut Robin's death.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Guild died on their way back to Tupile.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Makes sense to bring the Guild back into focus and see what their deal is once Paul actually interacts with them.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Why would you ever take an Ornithopter when you can travel in style on a sandworm. Anyone can just ride in a machine, only the cool can ride the worm.

Chani wouldn't be an ornithopter chump.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I am admittedly a huge sucker for these movies. But I think the best thing about them is that they made the world feel and look real. Instead of bailing out of trying to depict the scale and scope of the worlds and the people, they leaned into it and every scene felt like it was being filmed in a real Arrakis or a real Geidi Prime or a real wherever. And once you make the world feel real, you can do pretty much anything and make it real.

I think that's why my brain still accepts bad (comparitively) practical effects and declines real looking fully CGI settings. Because one is filmed in a real place, so you just accept that the proshetic or whatever is real. But when I see a videogame spaceship doing barrel rolls in a CGI landscape with camera angles you could never actually accomplish, I'm out.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think I would have cut Lady Fenring but kept Thufir, unless Denis has more of a plan with her or her kid for Messiah. I can't remember if she had a role in that book for not.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I think part 1 was pretty solidly better than part 2, although I still really enjoyed this one. I wish the conclusion from the shield wall attack onward had been given more room to breathe - the preceding 90+ minutes of Paul leveling up in the desert dragged a little for me. The book has the same problem of course but I was a little surprised that the movie fell into that trap since the book --> movie changes in part 1 really helped the pacing.

I was pretty disappointed that there weren't any Guildsmen at the final confrontation, I had been looking forward to seeing how Villeneuve would depict them. Here's hoping for part 3.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As a non-book reader I think it was pretty smart to not reference the guild at all in Part 2. They’re clearly trying to compartmentalize certain themes to specific films so people don’t strictly need the previous film to keep up.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
He should have cut Arrakis and just had the story take place on Caladan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I liked the little fart cloud fireworks on the black and white planet.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Amazing spectacle, bad movie.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

General Dog posted:

I liked the little fart cloud fireworks on the black and white planet.

The ink blot fireworks were so cool. Never seen anything like that.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

checkplease posted:

Why would you ever take an Ornithopter when you can travel in style on a sandworm. Anyone can just ride in a machine, only the cool can ride the worm.

Chani wouldn't be an ornithopter chump.

I'm the book she arrives by ornithopter to revive Paul. They think he's been poisoned and she's the one who works out that he's taken the water of life. Prior to this everyone is loving confused cause this is the stuff that famously fucks up men.

Anyway she needs to get there quickly, hence the thopter. They are still faster than worms.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Also Stilgar was water fat

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watched this finally, was great

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

BastardySkull posted:

I'm the book she arrives by ornithopter to revive Paul. They think he's been poisoned and she's the one who works out that he's taken the water of life. Prior to this everyone is loving confused cause this is the stuff that famously fucks up men.

Anyway she needs to get there quickly, hence the thopter. They are still faster than worms.

Clearly she could have used a red sand worm as those go faster than brown ones.

Really though it's just weirdly cut in the movie and first time we see the Fremen not using worms or walking. Chani rushing there does make sense, agreed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just saw it today and yeah that was a weird scene cut.

The time skips at the beginning were also weird but then it turns out there wasn't too much skipping because baby still in belly.

Like I think it was suppose to be some kind of montage but not really where every scene we see of Paul and the fremen he's becoming more and more accepted. And it worked but as a non book reader I kept thinking "is this real or is he hallucinating"

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

YaketySass posted:

Makes sense to bring the Guild back into focus and see what their deal is once Paul actually interacts with them.

I'm differing from the canon here.

The guild didn't even need to be there, they could foresee their single safe path forward allmost as well as Paul could, but Paul could also see every alternative path. By the time the nukes went off, the guild were just realizing they had boxed themselves in, but the great houses had already paid their last minute fares...

Dueling prescience with Eldric and co. could be cool in part 3.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

IMB posted:

I am admittedly a huge sucker for these movies. But I think the best thing about them is that they made the world feel and look real. Instead of bailing out of trying to depict the scale and scope of the worlds and the people, they leaned into it and every scene felt like it was being filmed in a real Arrakis or a real Geidi Prime or a real wherever. And once you make the world feel real, you can do pretty much anything and make it real.
right from the start too, during the eclipse scene, just god drat

MacheteZombie posted:

Watched this finally, was great

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cohsae posted:

Dune lore question (only read the first book):
Are the fremen just great fighters purely because of the harsh conditions of arrakis/colonial rule, or (as I thought when I read it) are they borderline prescient due to spice exposure and so can "read" opponents in hand to hand combat? Does this ever get discussed?

It's a bit of both, I think. Messiah or Children has a point brought up that even in casual environments, Fremen have a slight prescience that can make them seem a little uncanny. But they've also been living in incredibly harsh conditions, fighting the Harkonnens, fighting each other, and are all trained in survival, coordination and combat from the youngest ages. Considering that most armies in the rest of the Imperium are basically small elite forces (if you're lucky) meant for heavily regulated, ritualised warfare, not surprised they go through most like a hot knife through butter. It's said in the books the Fremen find the Sardukar basically an entertaining speedbump.

Mulva posted:

67 billion dead.

So, it's going to go really loving well for them. Amazingly enough when you are stuck on a planet the people from space can just infinitely gently caress with you forever and you can do nothing about it. All space travel goes through the guild, who needs spice, and Paul controls the spice. So nobody gets to meaningfully attack Paul.

Not in a straight fight, anyway.

Yeah, also this- Paul has the Guild by the balls and the Guild has the monopoly on space travel- the Fremen forces can go wherever they want at their leisure.

And of course there's the mention of entire planets being destroyed by orbital bombardment- presumably the ones where they weren't able to steamroll local opposition.

Pretty much the entire point of Dune is that it takes place at the point where the existing status quo of the society it depicts that has functioned for centuries is finally coming apart under its own contradictions. Everything that can go wrong does go wrong, and leaders make boneheaded decisions from the reader perspective because of their investment in and comfort with the status quo.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Saw it earlier tonight, but not in IMAX. I plan to see it again soon in IMAX.

I loved it. I’ve read all the criticisms here, and I agree with some of that, but like with LotR, I think in most cases the changes they made were for good reasons.

That’s just my opinion.

I think it was one of the best all-time experiences I’ve had watching a movie in the theater, and I’ve been watching them that way since Nixon was president.

Just completely stunning visually, and Denis is brilliant when it comes to this.

Even in this normal theater the sound often made me feel like the guy in the old Maxwell tape ad, who’s sitting in his recliner and the sound is blowing his hair straight backwards.

I thought all the effects shots were fantastic, and I can’t wait to see them in larger format.

Loved the various weapons depicted. We got a lot more lasgun fire by both sides out in the desert. The doorgunners on the ornithopters were very cool… I guess those were basically just advanced, rapidfire slugthrowers?

Then whatever the big potato ship used to bombard Sietch Tabr was great, also.

The shoulder-launched weapon we saw the Fremen using. I can just go on and on.

I know some will disagree, but I really loved Zendaya in this. I know it’s a departure from the book, but they gave her character a little more to do, and I thought she did a great job.

I also liked the North/South Fremen and the conflict between the more secular group and the “fundamentalists”. As I recall this is entirely an invention of the film, but I liked the dynamics it gives to the story, especially with Stilgar and Chani.

Anyway I have a few nitpicks here and there, but as my earlier references show I am an old and prone to drone on at times.

:TheVoice: ENOUGH!

I do have one question. Gurney survived the Atriedes massacre and then somehow got his own spice harvester, that he was using to try and smuggle his own spice out, possibly past and/or under attack by worms, Fremen, AND Harkonnens?

What have I missed here?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Were the ink fireworks just regular fireworks shot in infrared? Would be cool if that’s the case

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I think my favorite fight was the first one because it was so weird

The weird red afternoon sun

Weird looking soldiers

Weird lasers

The weird way they floated

Felt like good old weird 60’s sci-fi
Yeah you nailed it. It felt like 60's sci-fi. That coupled with the sound design, the thudding bodies, everything else, it was such an awesome setpiece/scene.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Were the ink fireworks just regular fireworks shot in infrared? Would be cool if that’s the case

They gave me Splatoon vibes.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The best thing about the harkonnen lasers was the whine they have when they recharge then the "click click beep" chirping presumably to say they are ready again. That was a tiny detail but I appreciated it a lot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

I think I would have cut Lady Fenring but kept Thufir, unless Denis has more of a plan with her or her kid for Messiah. I can't remember if she had a role in that book for not.

Baby knife fight between Alia and Feyd jr in part 3.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MrMojok posted:

I do have one question. Gurney survived the Atriedes massacre and then somehow got his own spice harvester, that he was using to try and smuggle his own spice out, possibly past and/or under attack by worms, Fremen, AND Harkonnens?

It's not explained or elaborated on in the movies, but in the novels smugglers are long established on the planet and just kind of mine around the fringes. The Harkonnen's saw them as not worth the effort to deal with and the Fremen tolerate them as long as they don't trespass into territory the Fremen forbid because they're trade partners for offworld materials and resources. When they first arrive Leto sends Gurney to them as an emissary similar to how Duncan went to the Fremen because he wants them on side as allies or at least safely neutral, it's how Gurney has contacts to escape to them with the other survivors when the house falls.

The Fremen hitting the harvester Gurney was on was out of the ordinary and done because it had penetrated further into Fremen land than they ever usually go - they find out there are Sardukar infiltrators hidden in the crew that pushed them to do it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh wow, perfect explanation. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah the smuggling bit was , for me, the only genuinely underexplained bit in the whole movie