Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Something that always bothered me about the Inhibitor universe The inhibitors' raison detre is to prevent the rise of galaxy spanning civilizations because they would get in the way of a project to shepherd our galaxy through the collision with the Andromeda galaxy in 3 bn years. And if they don't, both galaxies won't be able to support life. But it's a "collision" in name only, more accurately the galaxies are going to pass through one another. I guess gravitational forces could move things around but it's not like every star is going to crash into another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

every time I read "dune movie" all I can think is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

even though that was a miniseries, I just want everyone here to see it again :shobon:

"unfilmable"

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Stars of Legion by Kameron Hurley - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKR14LA/

This Gulf of Time and Stars (Reunification #1) by Julie E Czerneda - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SI028SG/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Seconding Busiek's Conan run, really cool and captures that feeling of wonder, Cary Nord's art is great too. Some of the Truman stuff from Dark Horse also looks cool etc, some solid stuff in Conan comics.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
I really liked Becky Cloonan's art for Brian Wood's adaptation of Queen of the Black Coast though I thought the colorist could have been a bit bolder. Somehow missed the fact Busiek had a run, need to get my hands on those asap.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

zoux posted:

Something that always bothered me about the Inhibitor universe The inhibitors' raison detre is to prevent the rise of galaxy spanning civilizations because they would get in the way of a project to shepherd our galaxy through the collision with the Andromeda galaxy in 3 bn years. And if they don't, both galaxies won't be able to support life. But it's a "collision" in name only, more accurately the galaxies are going to pass through one another. I guess gravitational forces could move things around but it's not like every star is going to crash into another one

It's been a while since I read anything in that series, but wasn't it explained/handwaved as having something to do with the various gas clouds and nebulae in each galaxy colliding? Like, even though they're so diffuse, the relative velocities would heat them up so much they'd start giving off huge amounts of radiation, sterilizing massive regions of space? Or maybe something about the merger of the supermassive black holes causing problems? I could be totally misremembering, though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Not to step on Pradmer's toe, but well worth a pickup for 99p until midnight (UK deal, may also be cheap in other countries)

Stories of Your Life and Others: Ted Chiang
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stories-Your-Life-Others-Chiang-ebook/dp/B00L2EQODK/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
As long as we're stepping on Pradmer's toes, a bunch of stuff that never goes on Kindle sale is on sale:

Vacuum Diagrams by Stephen Baxter for $1.99 (iirc I am not alone in this thread in thinking this is his best work, it's a collection of short stories spanning an entire future history of humanity)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012095DU

Imaginary Magnitude by Stanislaw Lem for $2.99 (a collection of introductions to fictional books)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008533CWM

The Star Diaries also by Stanislaw Lem for $3.99 (a bunch of short stories, on the lighter and more comedic side of his oeuvre, I just wanted to say oeuvre)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008R2JCT8
also I love that it's the version with the cover art that I own:

"sigh, I'm in space"

I have a big wishlist named "things I own in physical that I want in digital" and nothing on it ever goes on sale and today it had three at once :shobon:

also seconding that the Ted Chiang collection above is very good and you should grab it if you don't have it

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

bagrada posted:

Any recommendations for books about exploring underground ruins/empires?

The Fade by Chris Wooding might be this, based on the blurb. It's a fantasy set in a subterranean civilisation, but I haven't got around to reading it yet so I don't know how well precisely it fits the bill, or, indeed, if it's actually any good. Someone else here may have read it and could comment?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

The Fade by Chris Wooding might be this, based on the blurb. It's a fantasy set in a subterranean civilisation, but I haven't got around to reading it yet so I don't know how well precisely it fits the bill, or, indeed, if it's actually any good. Someone else here may have read it and could comment?

Cover art is cool and it's currently $1.99 on kindle. Worth a gamble, thanks.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Haystack posted:

12 Miles Below. Tense survival in weird underground post-apocolyptic procgen hell.

What's a 'Progression Fantasy Epic'?

Is this another term for litRPG?

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Deptfordx posted:

As near as I can tell progression fantasy is like cradle where there's "levels" and you get stronger, and litrpg is Dungeon Crawler Carl with level 27 and with lots of number stats so you have 25 strength and a +4 belt so you have 29 strength and do +50% damage with maces.

Shnakepup posted:

It's been a while since I read anything in that series, but wasn't it explained/handwaved as having something to do with the various gas clouds and nebulae in each galaxy colliding? Like, even though they're so diffuse, the relative velocities would heat them up so much they'd start giving off huge amounts of radiation, sterilizing massive regions of space? Or maybe something about the merger of the supermassive black holes causing problems? I could be totally misremembering, though.
It was definitely lampshaded in some way but I recall it wasn't convincing and I can't remember why. My preferred explanation is that they were programmed to do it by assholes who put that stupid justification in.

RDM fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 8, 2024

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Star Diaries also by Stanislaw Lem for $3.99 (a bunch of short stories, on the lighter and more comedic side of his oeuvre, I just wanted to say oeuvre)

An amazing explosion of creativity, including two of the best time travel stories there are.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Story of Your Life - Eric Heisserer, who adapted it to the screenplay for Arrival, gave an interview when the movie came out where he mentioned being a Something Awful poster. Wonder if he ever still visits.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've been reading Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. I was intrigued by wikipedia saying, "Her work has been alternately criticized and praised for the deliberate, character-driven pacing and lack of the propulsive plots typical of other space opera novels." Which sounds like my jam.

I'm a few chapter in and the "character-driven" all feels overblown, in the sense of the actual characterisation. There's a lot of exposition dumping down the lore of the world, then a few words of dialogue. You can see the strings being pulled but because it's not plot driven, yet still making a pretense at "momentum." The characters aren't allowed enjoy anything, or hate anything, or be frightened, or wallow.

Maybe she's hinting at deeper things I'm not picking up on, which, fair enough, if that's the case. The characters feel like archetypes rather than people. There's no subtlety to any of them, no tells or insight to be gleaned. It all seems surface level.

I think a big problem for something so "character-driven" is the characters aren't allowed spend time with each other. Or explore who they are with other characters. There's still a "propulsion" to it but it's not doing that well either. For something character driven the characters aren't allowed to exist beyong serving a character narrative. There's no Tarantino "Royale With Cheese" moment.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I've been reading Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. I was intrigued by wikipedia saying, "Her work has been alternately criticized and praised for the deliberate, character-driven pacing and lack of the propulsive plots typical of other space opera novels." Which sounds like my jam.

I'm a few chapter in and the "character-driven" all feels overblown, in the sense of the actual characterisation. There's a lot of exposition dumping down the lore of the world, then a few words of dialogue. You can see the strings being pulled but because it's not plot driven, yet still making a pretense at "momentum." The characters aren't allowed enjoy anything, or hate anything, or be frightened, or wallow.

Maybe she's hinting at deeper things I'm not picking up on, which, fair enough, if that's the case. The characters feel like archetypes rather than people. There's no subtlety to any of them, no tells or insight to be gleaned. It all seems surface level.

I think a big problem for something so "character-driven" is the characters aren't allowed spend time with each other. Or explore who they are with other characters. There's still a "propulsion" to it but it's not doing that well either. For something character driven the characters aren't allowed to exist beyong serving a character narrative. There's no Tarantino "Royale With Cheese" moment.

This will not improve or get better imo, and is why I always post my lack of enjoyment about her work. Every character is a broad, bland archetype and even the cultures of the aliens are just: pick 1-3 things you'd instantly assume about, say, a lizard species, and dip your toe into that idea.

Did you know lizards like it warm :)
So lizard people like to be touching :)
They also like warm rocks :)

There's just not a lot there.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As long as we're stepping on Pradmer's toes, a bunch of stuff that never goes on Kindle sale is on sale:

Vacuum Diagrams by Stephen Baxter for $1.99 (iirc I am not alone in this thread in thinking this is his best work, it's a collection of short stories spanning an entire future history of humanity)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012095DU

Imaginary Magnitude by Stanislaw Lem for $2.99 (a collection of introductions to fictional books)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008533CWM

also I love that it's the version with the cover art that I own:

"sigh, I'm in space"

I have a big wishlist named "things I own in physical that I want in digital" and nothing on it ever goes on sale and today it had three at once :shobon:

also seconding that the Ted Chiang collection above is very good and you should grab it if you don't have it

Seems to all be US only, sadly.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Mrenda posted:

You might like A Psalm for the Wild-Built a lot more than that book (I did)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deptfordx posted:

From what I can tell "progression fantasy" is litepg but you're filing the numbers off and trying to not be obvious about it. The characters gain power levels but nobody actually says the power level is over 9000. I'm not sure though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

This will not improve or get better imo, and is why I always post my lack of enjoyment about her work. Every character is a broad, bland archetype and even the cultures of the aliens are just: pick 1-3 things you'd instantly assume about, say, a lizard species, and dip your toe into that idea.

Did you know lizards like it warm :)
So lizard people like to be touching :)
They also like warm rocks :)

There's just not a lot there.

How would lizards get heat from each other if they're exothermic

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I mean, if the criterion is just "set in a subterranean civilization", the Drizzt prequel trilogy is set almost entirely in the Underdark. I'm pretty sure there must be other Forgotten Realms books either set in or involving forays into the Underdark. They're not likely to be particularly high brow, but might scratch the itch.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

You just put more thought into that idea than Chambers put into her whole book.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

zoux posted:

they're still warm. it's just zero-sum

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Radiation partially depends on surface area so where they touch is not counted.

Thanks for the deals

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Progression fantasy is the fantasy of buying a house, having kids, retiring, etc

Getting ahead by working hard…the ultimate secondary world

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Is this showing some scenes from the second book? https://x.com/netflix/status/1765754366479192297?s=46

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Exordia 2 should be progression sci-fi imo.

The ship can do magic by uncompressing the space around it, bypassing the laws of physics, and recompressing it again but now they are on a quest for ever expanding processing power which then they can use to do even more ridiculous magic.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

tima posted:

Exordia 2 should be progression sci-fi imo.

The ship can do magic by uncompressing the space around it, bypassing the laws of physics, and recompressing it again but now they are on a quest for ever expanding processing power which then they can use to do even more ridiculous magic.

So, Anvil of Stars more or less?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

RDM posted:

You might like A Psalm for the Wild-Built a lot more than that book (I did)

I'm not willing to buy into Becky Chambers again seeing as I've been so unimpressed by the one I'm reading.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I finished Exordia a week ago and it compelled me to reread Baru 1 and pick up the next two. I'm halfway through Baru 3 and hitting a thing where every mental image I have of the protagonist is covered in heavy medical bandages and casts. Battuta if you're looking for a book 4 title maybe try The Mummy Baru Cormorant. Hope she finds a good doctor in that one :pray:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

theblackw0lf posted:

Is this showing some scenes from the second book? https://x.com/netflix/status/1765754366479192297?s=46

The second book is definitely going to be part of the first season. There's an episode called Wallfacer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deptfordx posted:

The new UF series by Benedict Jacka was thr first thing I'd read where the author described it as such ("progression fantasy elements"). Essentially the protagonist is a magic item crafter but he needs money and skill to deal with (life under magical capitalism), so over thr course of the first book he works on that and progresses.

Honestly it wasn't bad. Of course capitalism would monetize even magic.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I'm not willing to buy into Becky Chambers again seeing as I've been so unimpressed by the one I'm reading.

Can't speak for her other stuff but Psalm for the Wild-Built is a completely unchallenging and very sweet (bordering on twee) novella that you can read in an afternoon. It explores a few interesting SciFi ideas in the background of a story about a person feeling a vague sense of malaise and dissatisfaction despite a fairly objectively fulfilling life. If that sounds like her other stuff then yeah, this one isn't for you either.

I didn't particularly like it, but that's mostly because I find eco-utopian stuff intensely melancholy and depressing, given the contrast to our current situation.

theblackw0lf posted:

I can't imagine how this would make a satisfying TV show, unless they heavily edit the narrative.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Mrenda posted:

Yeah this is why I was never in a hurry to read the rest of them. It’s just cozy in a warm milk kinda way and all your criticisms on the shallowness of the characters is bang on.

Also all stories need more Royale with Cheese moments

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Stuporstar posted:

Yeah this is why I was never in a hurry to read the rest of them. It’s just cozy in a warm milk kinda way and all your criticisms on the shallowness of the characters is bang on.

Also all stories need more Royale with Cheese moments

Yeah, I just read it and while I enjoyed it overall, it feels like Zoomer Ursuka K LeGuin, wherein one describes cultures that don't follow our own conceptualization of sex, gender, and relationships... but in this totally superficial way that doesn't truly explore any conflicts, everyone already is totally cool with it all and it's just implied if not outright stated that any resistance is grossly regressive, and we don't see anyone undergo any real growth. Very cozy. I was hoping to see how the conflict-fueled species would be able to fit into it all but the answer literally was just "LOL guess we'll just banish all of you from our ooen-minded club instead." Which may have been ultimately the only possible solution, but it just underscores how much the book fails to go into any deep thought on the matter.

Too bad, the Folio Society limited edition, pricey as it is, would be cool if it were a better book.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

zoux posted:

Becky Chambers absolutely does not understand thermodynamics. See also: the ships that grow algae to produce fuel to power the engines that power the lights that grows the algae and the ships powered by their occupants stepping on the pressure plates that line the corridors.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pseudorandom name posted:

Becky Chambers absolutely does not understand thermodynamics. See also: the ships that grow algae to produce fuel to power the engines that power the lights that grows the algae and the ships powered by their occupants stepping on the pressure plates that line the corridors.

She actively doesn't want to, I think. Deliberate choice to reject the "hard sf" style. She puts that stuff in to chase away the people who want it, like a soft fluffy pastel version of Eco's monastery door.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never read anything she wrote but I looked at the wiki synopsis of her first novel

quote:

Fleeing her old life, Rosemary Harper joins the multi-species crew of the Wayfarer as a file clerk, and follows them on their various missions throughout the galaxy. The novel concerns itself with character development rather than adventure. Each member of the crew has a story that unfolds, or a crisis to face.

That's, uh, Star Trek.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

zoux posted:

I've never read anything she wrote but I looked at the wiki synopsis of her first novel

That's, uh, Star Trek.

Yes, it's very Star Trek in "everyone is generally a good person trying to their best in a big universe" way.

I like them. They are definitely a very specific vibe but they work for me.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm going to push back on some of the Chambers criticism, I definitely think at least for the 2nd and 3rd Wayfarer books they do have a lot more of an edge and specifically explore some pretty uncomfortable spaces with more rounded characters. Long Way is a bit weaker in those aspects, but it does have some stakes and I think the ending is the most interesting part of the story Space Capitalism fucks everything up and the AI ends up dead for nothing with the second book building directly on that.

The fourth is probably the weakest since its just a bunch of people stuck together at a rest stop swapping stories, but I found it interesting and think she tackled some stuff with autonomy pretty well there.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 8, 2024