Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

the holy poopacy posted:

He knows you can use them to build things other than the sets, right? That is kind of the entire point of Lego.

He seems fixated on the idea of getting a good price out of sets by completing them, but the math only works out if you assume your time and space are free and unlimited, none of which is not true. Figure out how much it would cost to rent a storage unit or a bigger place to fit all his spares and ask him if the extra money he'd make for complete sets would pay for storing them for however long it took him to complete them, plus enough profit to make it worth his time (answer: no.)

It also sounds like he might be overpaying for big mixed lots if he can't just turn around and flip the rest for a comparable amount, which he is justifying to himself because he sees incomplete sets as an opportunity to make "free money" by selling them as complete sets. But again, your time and space aren't free. Explain to him that selling sets incomplete is not leaving money on the table, it's paying a trivial amount of money to give your family a usable living space.

He's not overpaying, he just wants them complete before selling. It's not a long term solution and I've made him see that, I need more outlets for the Lego to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For myself, setting a limit on hobby stuff is how I manage it. Like I set some threshold for how much space I want to dedicate to the hobby, and if I'm near that limit, force myself to unload part of it before buying anything else. That FOMO feeling when something new becomes available activates the "do I REALLY need to hang on to this old thing?" part of my brain and makes it easier to get rid of old stuff.

I don't want to get into internet relationship therapy though, no idea if that's a wise tactic to impose on someone else. But it definitely works for me.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Me too. Living in a one bedroom apartment by myself sets a hard limit on how much Lego I can display without it looking ridiculous anyway but I have a whole attic of storage space if I were so inclined - but I've consciously decided that the amount of Lego I have on display now is It, and anything more requires other Lego to come off the shelves and go into the storage box under my bed. Certainly makes me think a lot more about any potential new acquisitions (that and needing money to eat pay rent and otherwise live)

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Yeah I'm at a point where anything new I buy just ends up in my closet until "I have more space" but then I never tear anything down and welp. That closet is 2/3rds lego now I swear.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cycling out the old bits of your hobby (while keeping 1 or 2 things for personal/emotional reasons) feels great. It's a great time to revamp your hobby space, liquidate things to fund new hobby things, and restock on disposable items and wear items. But more than that, you get to divvy out your cool stuff to other folks to enjoy (or not! That happens sometimes, no surprise there).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah absolutely this. OP is being way too lenient on hubby - he can't inundate you and your family house with crap and then have very specific instructions for how he wants it to be disposed of, while not having the time or inclination to do the dirty work himself.

Get rid of the bulk of it however you see fit and have a serious talk with him about division of labour and what responsibilities for sorting out the Lego he has to shoulder in the future if he's gonna keep buying it the way he does.

This person called Lego crap

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

bird with big dick posted:

This person called Lego crap

To be fair it's all about half-built car sets. What good is a Lego car if you can't drive it around?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Saithir posted:

To be fair it's all about half-built car sets. What good is a Lego car if you can't drive it around?

A lot of them are built to be fair

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1 - no more LEGO purchases other than below

2 - use BL to figure out what sets are missing pieces and are worth selling. buy the missing parts

3 - list the complete sets

4 - repeat until things are under control again

If he really enjoys the collecting, he should find some joy in completing the sets for sale. It's not that different.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

1 - no more LEGO purchases other than below

2 - use BL to figure out what sets are missing pieces and are worth selling. buy the missing parts

3 - list the complete sets

4 - repeat until things are under control again

If he really enjoys the collecting, he should find some joy in completing the sets for sale. It's not that different.

He does like selling on brick link and had sold quite a bit of stuff over the past 18 months or so.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, no more bulk buys. Just buy complete sets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ralph Crammed In posted:

He does like selling on brick link and had sold quite a bit of stuff over the past 18 months or so.

But obviously more in than out or you’d not have this issue, I suppose

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Dogen posted:

But obviously more in than out or you’d not have this issue, I suppose

Yeah.

We talked about it and he agreed to no more buys until we get everything in the living room gone.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Another Lego thread success story

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of getting rid of some Lego, I think I’m done collecting miniatures. My collector brain requires me to either collect the whole set or nothing at all. It probably makes more sense to pick out the ones I want / really love, but… Anyway, the sets have been sort of unsustainable as there are too many sets and they’re a bit harder to display than a normal set. It sticks because I just spent a bunch of money on some Wicked Brick displays too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any tips for selling locally? Think I'm gonna get rid of a lot of sets but mailing Lego is such a pain. Was thinking CL/FB Marketplace, take the average sold Ebay price, then knock off maybe 15% ? Thoughts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

This seems to be the sticking point since parting stuff out takes longer than they'd like to have the stuff around.

I think the ideal course of action is to say gently caress it and just start selling stuff in bulk lots. The money doesn't really seem to be worth it and neither is policing what other people do with their incomplete lego sets.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Any tips for selling locally? Think I'm gonna get rid of a lot of sets but mailing Lego is such a pain. Was thinking CL/FB Marketplace, take the average sold Ebay price, then knock off maybe 15% ? Thoughts.

I don’t like meeting people in person, so I definitely prefer selling online. Shipping has been quite easy for me, as I just drop it into a flat rate USPS box. You also have more potential buyers if you’re willing to ship. eBay is probably your best bet but they take a very large cut. I also like Reddit sub Reddit to sell or trade.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

this can work but you're going to want to do lots because the smaller sets don't move very well on their own. if there's space / aquazone / pirates I'd be willing to buy a lot

I also haven't given up moc building but moved it to an Instagram account as to not spam the thread. I'll post some group shots when I get a good space for a wide angle

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's mostly Star Wars UCS stuff I just don't have space for anymore. I might throw them online still not 100% sure. I have some smaller, high value sets I'm definitely going to sell on Ebay. But for the big UCS stuff I was thinking I'd rather just eat a percentage of profits to not have to ship or pay service fees. Not sure how fast it would move locally though. Not really in a huge rush to sell anyways.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

It's mostly Star Wars UCS stuff I just don't have space for anymore. I might throw them online still not 100% sure. I have some smaller, high value sets I'm definitely going to sell on Ebay. But for the big UCS stuff I was thinking I'd rather just eat a percentage of profits to not have to ship or pay service fees. Not sure how fast it would move locally though. Not really in a huge rush to sell anyways.

oh if time's not a concern then yeah rotating listings on FB will be your best bet. you could also try any local afol groups

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
We haven't seen Carbohydrates post in this thread in a while. I hope that everything is ok and he just got bored of us.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

deoju posted:

We haven't seen Carbohydrates post in this thread in a while. I hope that everything is ok and he just got bored of us.

He posts in the knife thread, maybe just takin a break from Lego

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

What are you talking about? His wife was just here!
:v:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Heyoooo

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
idgi? Is that an organic chemistry joke?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

idgi? Is that an organic chemistry joke?

Not sure that's the kind of bond they share.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
He sent me to get this thread back on topic, it having wildly deviated most likely due to an unfortunate typo in the title.

Now, discuss:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I don’t mind a little classic herb when building if you know what I mean

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Dogen posted:

I don’t mind a little classic herb when building if you know what I mean

Ah, a Lego opinion we can all agree on.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I finished the Tantive IV midiscale build. It's 'fine' but its really bovious that the whole thing is just too skinny. I thought that the cockpit was off scale from the preview pictures, and I was right, it is too small, but the rest of the body could've done with being a little thicker, by a stud or two.

The midi Millennium Falcon is perfect though. Perfect proportions. Really nice looking.

Both are interesting builds though - the Tantive IV handles the engines in a nice way that isn't repetitive. Same thing with the rear panels on the Falcon.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I’ve got into Lego recently after my wife bought me the big R2D2 unit for Christmas. Getting the leg mechanisms working was frustrating as it was the first time I’ve built Lego since I was a kid and the instructions weren’t entirely clear to me, but once I figured out how it all went together it was ridiculously satisfying.

I’ve since completed a little London bus and the Walt Disney movie camera, am currently working on the kingfisher, and have the bonsai tree waiting for me. Hoping to get the Batman Returns set soon.

Has anyone built Chewbacca? It was on my wishlist but I read some reviews which said it was a bit dull because of the brownness. Not sure if I should risk it.

I had no idea Lego was this much fun. And I’m pretty sure my wife regrets her decision. 😄

Creature fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 9, 2024

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Creature posted:

I
I had no idea Lego was this much fun. And I’m pretty sure my wife regrets her decision. 😄

was your wife just in here?

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

Creature posted:

Has anyone built Chewbacca? It was on my wishlist but I read some reviews which said it was a bit dull because of the brownness. Not sure if I should risk it.

I found chewbacca to be fun and relaxing to build as i was doing it. Filling in the surfaces layer by layer with the fur texture pieces was pretty zen, and each section has some interesting techniques to get the right shape.

But then you finish a section, and you have built a brown turd. Theres 2 long turd legs, 2 angled turd arms, a big ol brick torso, and the little nugget head.

I also did the fender guitar thing, and the bright red was a nice pallette clenser for afterward.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the fender guitar rules, but the strings are something of a pain

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Creature posted:

I’ve got into Lego recently after my wife bought me the big R2D2 unit for Christmas. Getting the leg mechanisms working was frustrating as it was the first time I’ve built Lego since I was a kid and the instructions weren’t entirely clear to me, but once I figured out how it all went together it was ridiculously satisfying.

I’ve since completed a little London bus and the Walt Disney movie camera, am currently working on the kingfisher, and have the bonsai tree waiting for me. Hoping to get the Batman Returns set soon.

The Jazz Quartet is pretty amazing.

Many of the speed champions cars are really great builds, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chewbacca seems pretty self explanatory. I'm not a big fan of it, but I feel like it's gonna be a love it or hate it type set so if you see it and like it, go for it.

Personally I think Lego just translates poorly to those organic sculpture type sets. Chewbacca is at least one of the least bad ones they have done. That Darth Maul bust is one of the ugliest sets I've ever seen lol. The Yoda one is rough looking too.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The full body yoda one is… okay.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chewbacca isn’t accurate to the larger model. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Lavender Spliffs posted:

I also did the fender guitar thing, and the bright red was a nice pallette clenser for afterward.

Man I hope that means you combined the builds