Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I remember Jeepers Creepers being the quintessential "dog days of summer" movie complete with a release in August. Just one of those movies you watch on a lazy afternoon and I remember it for that.

I actually never saw any of the sequels but the original is a fine watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I get to do Panic Fest and the Chattanooga Film Fest again this year, yay :unsmith:

Also I see Frogman dropped on VOD services today, gonna check that out tomorrow

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

There was another time the year before that when a specific moment from a trailer caused me to be in the theater for a movie opening weekend, knowing close to zero about the movie and having never heard of it's star.

At the risk of repeating history: that shot looks really cool, what film is it from?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Pitch Black.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pitch Black is so good. I watched it around the time it came out and was like, "holy poo poo this kicks rear end" and watched it again recently and was like, "holy poo poo this still kicks rear end"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It wasn't a big hit but nobody who saw Pitch Black was surprised when The Fast & the Furious happened a year later.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Pitch Black is the first in the Riddick series and a great film though it's a mixed bag after that.

The video games though were cool and worth playing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s a ridiculously solid little scifi horror movie. It’s definitely got some budgetary and aging issues and is 100% for big old nerds, but everything is 50% better than it needed to be.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Clive Barker's committing to writing full-time going forward, including for film and TV adaptations https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1766105052467298757

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’m just mildly mad that If and Imaginary aren’t releasing at the same time, when that could have led to some wacky mix-ups at the theater.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if it's out yet but Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person is Quebec-set and both really good and, as you can see, has one hell of a title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYhzyE9oUm8

This is out on Crave in Canada tonight! They put it under "comedy"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Justin Godscock posted:

though it's a mixed bag after that.

The Chronicles of Riddick is such a guilty pleasure for me. I don't know why, but I loving love that movie SO much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phy posted:

Probably accurate.

Maybe it was the cinema I saw it in, but this has some of the worst lighting I've seen in a film in ages. Entire scenes where I couldn't tell who was present until they started speaking.

Film's okay otherwise, best joke is the title.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

The Chronicles of Riddick is such a guilty pleasure for me. I don't know why, but I loving love that movie SO much.

I've been meaning to ask, why does your VHS copy have such a pronounced palm print on it?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Chris James 2 posted:

Clive Barker's committing to writing full-time going forward, including for film and TV adaptations https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1766105052467298757

I hope we get a Scarlet Gospels movie written and directed by him.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Saw Imaginary, it stinks. Tame even by PG-13 standards, and kept going after about 3 different points where it'd have made more sense to end.

The bear monster's name is Chauncey Bear, but they kept calling it CB, so I just kept thinking of former Detroit Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups. That's how dull it was, where I had to make it more amusing for myself thinking "instead of a teddy bear, imagine everyone's terrified of a early-00s NBA player".

drat. I had hopes for that one. Oh well.

A Fancy Hat posted:

https://dawn45.com/

Dawn of the Dead is coming back to theaters for the 45th anniversary. This sucker's still not streaming anywhere and it's hard to get a good physical copy of it, so I highly suggest checking it out in theaters if by some chance you've never seen the movie.

I will be seeing it in the movie theater inside the mall where it was filmed. Absolutely stoked.

Unfortunately it's at the indie theater by me which is a tiny single screen with crappy parking and nothing open after 10pm in the area if you want to grab something to eat that isn't the quality may vary concessions.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 9, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

davidspackage posted:

I've been meaning to ask, why does your VHS copy have such a pronounced palm print on it?

Look at this immature jerk.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Finally, Nightbreed 2

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Phy posted:

Oh hey thanks for the heads up! It's also playing a couple festivals this spring including Overlook and Boston Underground

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lisa Frankenstein has a lot of great bits and and visual impulses, and is just fundamentally a pretty awesome idea, but I'm also absolutely convinced that there was a better film here that was killed in the edit. And I don't think Carla Guigno's performance works, which are words I never thought I'd say.

There's a really great gag in the film which is screaming out for an R rated cut too.

But yeah, honestly? I liked this. There's more ambiguity to it than I thought, particularly that final shot, and there's a lot of great lines and vibes.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I wish I hadn't seemingly missed its theatrical run :( I am a big Diablo Cody fan and the entire vibe felt right up my alley, but it came out at a time where we just couldn't make it to the theater. I'll watch it as soon as I can.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lisa Frankenstein has a lot of great bits and and visual impulses, and is just fundamentally a pretty awesome idea, but I'm also absolutely convinced that there was a better film here that was killed in the edit. And I don't think Carla Guigno's performance works, which are words I never thought I'd say.

There's a really great gag in the film which is screaming out for an R rated cut too.

But yeah, honestly? I liked this. There's more ambiguity to it than I thought, particularly that final shot, and there's a lot of great lines and vibes.

Yeah, the movie definitely feels like it was cut down from an R rating, it feels like it wants to do a lot more comedy gore than it gets to do.

It's still a very fun little movie with (your taste for Diablo Cody's particularly idiosyncratic writing as a factor) a lot of really great bits. But it'd go from "worth a watch" to "oh my god, track this down ASAP" if they got some Peter Jackson-esque goofy gore into it, because it feels like it wants that vibe. poo poo, there's an entire sequence I'm convinced they wanted to do a Braindead reference but got told to tone it down.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 9, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

If you watch, please report back. I’ve had my I on it and we generally have a strong overlap on opinions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm gonna check it out at BUFF.

The trailer made it look fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Phy posted:

theres a dark joke about those vets in Canada who asked for help for PTSD and got referred to the assisted suicide program somewhere

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barker's writing a sequel to The Thief of Always? Didn't know Neil Gaiman was that hard up for a new book.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gripweed posted:

Pitch Black is so good. I watched it around the time it came out and was like, "holy poo poo this kicks rear end" and watched it again recently and was like, "holy poo poo this still kicks rear end"

This is so bizarre, I haven't thought about Pitch Black for a while and just decided to watch it this morning. As I'm watching I decide to catch up with the Horror thread and welp coincidence time

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Because the thread kept talking about it I'm watching The Crow which I feel is action horror which is a genre that doesn't get enough love. Probably going to watched Pitch Black after this.

Hrmm so what are some really good action horror movies.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 9, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Mummy for sure

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Versus

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
More action comedy than horror but I think Upgrade has some cyberpunk horror elements to it and it's always a fun watch

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dog Soldiers! Could easily call the original Terminator action-horror too.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 9, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Medullah posted:

This is so bizarre, I haven't thought about Pitch Black for a while and just decided to watch it this morning. As I'm watching I decide to catch up with the Horror thread and welp coincidence time

All the space-Islam in DUNE had me thinking about Keith David in PITCH BLACK.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
From Dusk Til Dawn, Prey, I kind of have a soft spot for all the terrible Resident Evil movies (the first ones good), Tremors of course, Train to Busan, Pandorum, Overlord is a surprisingly good film.

Bunch of good action horror

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Seventh Curse is a great action horror movie.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I watched Lady Terminator a few days ago and it was a delight. The only movie I can think of with a higher body count for the slasher villain is Skeleton Man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-Cross. It might be a little light on the action side, but it does have a chainsaw fight so I think it counts.

Which means 2LDK counts too, so add that to the list

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if by versus you mean BALLISTIC: ECKS VS. SEVER

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Medullah posted:

More action comedy than horror but I think Upgrade has some cyberpunk horror elements to it and it's always a fun watch

yeah Upgrade rocks, absolutely worth a go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Crow still holds up now I am watching Pitch Black.

edit:

The beginning of Pitch Black does not really hold up

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 9, 2024