Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toriyama's superpower is that his character design got all the press but the man could draw machines like nothing loving else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Captain Quack posted:

Translator's note: "Muito cedo..." means "Too soon..."

toriyama arrives in the after life and asks king yenma if he made him or not

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Toriyama's superpower is that his character design got all the press but the man could draw machines like nothing loving else.

imperfect cell is a top tier design

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

Don't forget his monster design skills

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
what would the modern gaming look like if the first Dragon Quest didn't have cute slimes in it???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YggiDee posted:

what would the modern gaming look like if the first Dragon Quest didn't have cute slimes in it???

Worse, probably

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Lmao I read this manga-style at first and got a little mad before I thought to read it left-to-right.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Toriyama's super power was being able to poo poo out 50 great character designs a week and then immediately forget about them.

Dude was also able to still kill it even when being lazy. Like apparently one of the reasons Super Saiyan came about was because he wanted stop inking Goku's hair.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Saiyans also just stopped having their tails grow back because that was a pain in the rear end to remember drawing

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Also because he didn't like thinking about how a tail would fit in clothing.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0uyLpKMMh8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
drat

https://twitter.com/sloplays/status/1766480455828754479?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

their blunder gave us battle of the gods and broly... so they are forgiven

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The only thing the US Media hosed up worse than DBZ was Godzilla so Goku is in good company.

(Solar parasail live-action hybrid Sailor Moon never got released so it doesn't count).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1766310678913015814?t=ST0qahDG4CL6LeTFyJINZw&s=19

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Biden really dropping the ball here

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

their blunder gave us battle of the gods and broly... so they are forgiven

Dragonball Evolution becomes a lot better if you pretend it was made by the same production company that made this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thing thats so captivating about toriyama and dbz is that he casually tosses out and then discards the best ideas and designs other artists would ever have. dude doodled poo poo like final form cooler on a napkin to get some toei movie guy to stop bugging him. its crazy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grand kai is canon, he gets mentioned in the manga when supreme kai shows up. 0/10, terrible list

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Flytrap posted:

Also because he didn't like thinking about how a tail would fit in clothing.

It's incredible how much later DB was defined by Toriyama going "yeah I don't want to do _____ anymore."

Endorph posted:

the thing thats so captivating about toriyama and dbz is that he casually tosses out and then discards the best ideas and designs other artists would ever have. dude doodled poo poo like final form cooler on a napkin to get some toei movie guy to stop bugging him. its crazy

lol amazing, and it was probably some discarded Frieza form he couldn't get past an editor

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

lol

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I still like how James Marsters went above and beyond to apologize to the franchise.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i remember reading years ago that he got the idea for fusions at a party just asking people "how do you think you could get stronger faster?" or something to that effect, because he was under some pressure for a new power up (not sure if it was editorial or just he felt the story called for it but he had no ideas) and one of the replies was just combining with someone else and he was like "good enough for me!"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Azubah posted:

I still like how James Marsters went above and beyond to apologize to the franchise.

He kicked rear end. Maybe my favorite arc in Super because of him.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I…don’t hate evolution. I know it’s an absolutely horrid adaptation but it’s fun to throw on and watch as a trash movie.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Evolution is the kind of film that was made for bad movie nights, although despite how loose an adaptation it is you do need to be familiar with Dragon Ball to fully appreciate the trash.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I wasn't able to grow up with Dragon Ball (it came on during the "Why aren't you doing your homework young man," time slot), but I still heard about it. You couldn't not hear about it. My actual, personal introduction to Toriyama was Chrono Trigger, and dang, what a game; what great characters, designed by the man himself. Looking through his portfolio, the man was a beast when it came to character design. I could recognize characters I didn't even know the names of at a glance just because I saw two friends looking at a picture one time.

I've seen parodies, the abridged dub, sweded, and tributes, but I've never actually seen much of the show or read the manga. Time to get on that.

Rest in peace, Toriyama. They'll remember you.

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008
Gotta say thank you Akira Toriyama, I enjoyed watching dragon ball since I was a young kid back in 1996 when I first encountered it early in the morning on the Spanish channel before it started airing on Cartoon Network a few years later. I also remember first reading the manga when I moved to Denmark and it was one of the reasons I learned danish as fast as I did. Hell of a show and comic series and I will forever be grateful for the work. I also loved Chrono Trigger which is the only jrpg I have completed and enjoyed aside from earthbound to this day. RIP Mr. Toriyama and thank you for making a show I enjoyed thoroughly throughout my childhood and more.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

The only thing the US Media hosed up worse than DBZ was Godzilla so Goku is in good company.

(Solar parasail live-action hybrid Sailor Moon never got released so it doesn't count).

Someones not seen the original one Piece dub.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bad Seafood posted:

I wasn't able to grow up with Dragon Ball (it came on during the "Why aren't you doing your homework young man," time slot), but I still heard about it. You couldn't not hear about it. My actual, personal introduction to Toriyama was Chrono Trigger, and dang, what a game; what great characters, designed by the man himself. Looking through his portfolio, the man was a beast when it came to character design. I could recognize characters I didn't even know the names of at a glance just because I saw two friends looking at a picture one time.

I've seen parodies, the abridged dub, sweded, and tributes, but I've never actually seen much of the show or read the manga. Time to get on that.

Rest in peace, Toriyama. They'll remember you.

Start with the manga. It’s a very breezy read and not like a lot of modern shonen. Plus you can avoid all of the filler and instead get to appreciate Toriyama’s amazing draftsmanship and panelling.

Then move to the Dragon Ball anime (look up a guide to avoid filler if you like—there’s not a lot and most of it isn’t bad).

Then you have a dilemma: original DBZ has a notorious amount of awful filler but also some gems. The best filler is definitely the Driving School episode, but Garlic Jr. is pretty good.

So, you can skip all that by watching Kai, though even that leaves in a ton of filler in the final arc and also has some awful digital redraws and censorship.

Honestly, I’d probably go with Kai and watch some of the better filler material on YouTube, but definitely make time for the driving episode.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Someones not seen the original one Piece dub.

It was great actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Dragonball Evolution on the other hand was kinda weird. It was a great time at the movies but absolutely not in any intended way. Still remember seeing that on debut night with a friend, was high as gently caress, and when in the opening narration they called Oozaru Piccolo's right hand man or something I broke down laughing really hard lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Kai is good for a first watch if you’re binging and then try original Z whenever you go back for a rewatch so it won’t be as tedious.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I have a really hard time recommending kai just because the redrawn frames are so atrocious but it really is a great digestible way to get through it for a new comer

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Might I add, if you have access to it, try out a few of the dubs. The English dub by Funimation has its fans, but I can't really stand most of the voices and would recommend the Japanese dub. But the Latin American Spanish dub is also absolutely fantastic if you can find that.

There's also a dude who completely recut Kai removing even more of the filler. He speculates he cut 8 or 9 hours from the Boo arc alone. Again, that's after the original Kai edits. Look around online in the usual places for Dragon Ball/Kai Recut. I believe it offers dual audio between English and Japanese.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

So in the manga, when Dragonball timeskipped to Dragonball Z.

When it happened, was it just still Dragonball, then they added Z later for the anime, and that's just what its called now.

Or at the beginning it was still titled just manga: Dragonball.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Evolution was bad enough that Toriyama came back to do Battle of the Gods and getting heavily involved with newer stuff though. And thinking on that a bit it's really impressive, when he came back to Dragon Ball he just made it stronger than ever. Super got both the new and old fans marked out, and that's not to degrade others' contributions since, say, Nishitani's episode direction in the last episodes of super really made that something special. He wrote all the new films starting from BotG and they've all been great, so much so that the first like 30 episodes of super were adapting two of them and adding unto that. There's some special Toriyama sauce to it that'l probably never be recaptured.

Guy was both the creator and probably the guy who took Dragon Ball the least seriously, and hopefully the next generation to write into that story can see that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GateOfD posted:

So in the manga, when Dragonball timeskipped to Dragonball Z.

When it happened, was it just still Dragonball, then they added Z later for the anime, and that's just what its called now.

Or at the beginning it was still titled just manga: Dragonball.

The manga’s title never changed as I recall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

they want shady posted:

Evolution was bad enough that Toriyama came back to do Battle of the Gods and getting heavily involved with newer stuff though. And thinking on that a bit it's really impressive, when he came back to Dragon Ball he just made it stronger than ever. Super got both the new and old fans marked out, and that's not to degrade others' contributions since, say, Nishitani's episode direction in the last episodes of super really made that something special. He wrote all the new films starting from BotG and they've all been great, so much so that the first like 30 episodes of super were adapting two of them and adding unto that. There's some special Toriyama sauce to it that'l probably never be recaptured.

Guy was both the creator and probably the guy who took Dragon Ball the least seriously, and hopefully the next generation to write into that story can see that.

Super was worth it just for Beerus and Whis.