Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Animate is actually the wizard's name and it's pronounced animatey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

wait I thought it was Animate Dead... like I'm animating dead... have I been wrong all this time??!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vargatron posted:

wait I thought it was Animate Dead... like I'm animating dead... have I been wrong all this time??!

Technically yes. It's a summon spell, not a "raising dead" spell, hence not having to use it on corpses.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vargatron posted:

It is an interesting question but since you need a corpse to cast the spell in the tabletop version surely it is actually the verb form, even if it makes perfect sense either way

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't like this development

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dr. Quarex posted:

It is an interesting question but since you need a corpse to cast the spell in the tabletop version surely it is actually the verb form, even if it makes perfect sense either way
Yeah, the tabletop form is clearly verb noun and has reagent requirements of a corpse. If they wanted to be grammatically correct for a summoning spell it would be "Summon Animate Dead" and arguably wouldn't be necromancy.

There are adjective noun constructions in spell names indicating the creation of something magically (ex. Chromatic :orb:) but most conjuring or creation of things with sustained substance tend to be verb based.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
animate, v. to cause to become or combine with anime

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I mean the summoned dead are in fact animated. So either way...

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just saw this post on facebook. Looks like we could actually be seing the big conversion mod soon for NWN 2.

Baldur's Gate Reloaded Facebookpage posted:

I'm happy to announce to that Shadows of Amn: Reloaded is now entirely playable from start to finish! This is a major milestone for the project, and we're incredibly excited to polish, bugfix, and balance the game over the next several months.
For those of you wondering about BETA testing, we'll be kicking that off once we've finished the polish, bugfix, and balance pass--likely sometime during late summer (which is obviously about a year delayed from our original plan!).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
lol if you think animate and animate are pronounced differently

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

how do you pronounce inanimate?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Shard posted:

Exactly as in "Zed's inanimate, baby. Zed's inanimate."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The debate that truly divides the CRPG community.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shard posted:

Just saw this post on facebook. Looks like we could actually be seing the big conversion mod soon for NWN 2.

BG2 in the NWN2 engine? THat's a major downgrade on all fronts

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Shard posted:

-I...
-NANI?!
-Mate...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Modding Question: For BG1, is "mod merge" still a necessary first-install if you're modding BG:EE and have Siege of Dragonspear installed?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Shard posted:

anime-t

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Modding Question: For BG1, is "mod merge" still a necessary first-install if you're modding BG:EE and have Siege of Dragonspear installed?

I’m 90% sure that it is

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Yes, but DLCMerger is preferable these days I believe. It can be installed as another WeiDu mod, which is good. Should be installed before anything else, of course.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Interesting. I ask because my installation of BG1 was rather crash-happy and now I’m in BG2 and the game is rock solid. Same general collection of mods with the exception of not needing mod merge, UB1, or the banter pack.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My BG1 also became a train crash after DLC merge. Not sure if that's evidence but it's the only time I've really had an IE game crash with that frequency.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

zedprime posted:

My BG1 also became a train crash after DLC merge. Not sure if that's evidence but it's the only time I've really had an IE game crash with that frequency.

Maybe it’s not just me then. I also couldn’t get EEex to work on my BG1 install without it crashing at save-loading. Maybe I’ll give it a shot on my BG2 installation.

Edit: Nope, BG2 still crashes when save-loading after installing EEex and running InfinityLoader. Ah well. At least it's stable with the CDTweaks/IWDification/SoDUI++ mods installed. That's all I really care about.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 8, 2024

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Question regarding multi-class strongholds: I'm playing a fighter/mage multiclass and am wondering how the stronghold given is decided. I know that you can only get one (sans mods) and that the one you get is the first one you take, basically. But how does that work specifically? I want the Planar Sphere instead of De'Arnise Keep for this playthrough; do I just do the Planar Sphere quest first? Or can I do either quest in either order but only "accept" the given stronghold once it's offered? I know De'Arnise is only offered after you do the question, for example, so am I free to explore De'Arnise keep and get that quest out of my log? Or would doing that first lock me into that as my stronghold?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Question regarding multi-class strongholds: I'm playing a fighter/mage multiclass and am wondering how the stronghold given is decided. I know that you can only get one (sans mods) and that the one you get is the first one you take, basically. But how does that work specifically? I want the Planar Sphere instead of De'Arnise Keep for this playthrough; do I just do the Planar Sphere quest first? Or can I do either quest in either order but only "accept" the given stronghold once it's offered? I know De'Arnise is only offered after you do the question, for example, so am I free to explore De'Arnise keep and get that quest out of my log? Or would doing that first lock me into that as my stronghold?

You can decline De'Arnise and then accept the Sphere, as they're two separate quests: https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Stronghold

Note for anyone else looking at this, according to the Tweaks Anthology you CANNOT decline the Druid Grove, Umar Hills (ranger stronghold), or Five Flagons Playhouse (bard) in an unmodded game. Tweaks Anthology fixes this with its multiple stronghold change.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arivia posted:

You can decline De'Arnise and then accept the Sphere, as they're two separate quests: https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Stronghold

Note for anyone else looking at this, according to the Tweaks Anthology you CANNOT decline the Druid Grove, Umar Hills (ranger stronghold), or Five Flagons Playhouse (bard) in an unmodded game. Tweaks Anthology fixes this with its multiple stronghold change.

Ah ok, thank you! If memory serves, the Planar Sphere is the "harder" of the two quests so it'd make sense to do De'Arnise first, but not if it locks me into that stronghold. And noted about the mod. I'm using that mod, but not that component because it's never interested me to run more than one stronghold. Thanks!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Ah ok, thank you! If memory serves, the Planar Sphere is the "harder" of the two quests so it'd make sense to do De'Arnise first, but not if it locks me into that stronghold. And noted about the mod. I'm using that mod, but not that component because it's never interested me to run more than one stronghold. Thanks!

Yes, I agree, Planar Sphere is much harder (for example, it's the chapter 2/3 quest that introduces Breach). And I mostly made the comment about the mod in case anyone else is looking at it and wondering how it affects their game, since those strongholds aren't available to you as a fighter/mage.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just go to the candlekeep secret library with all the dopplegangers. I always wondered how long the dopples had been in candlekeep. There are a ton of dead bodies in there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shard posted:

I just go to the candlekeep secret library with all the dopplegangers. I always wondered how long the dopples had been in candlekeep. There are a ton of dead bodies in there.

All we know for sure is that they infiltrated Candlekeep after Gorion’s Ward left and before you return in Chapter 6. I think Sarevok’s diary also has a relatively detailed timeline of events.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

All we know for sure is that they infiltrated Candlekeep after Gorion’s Ward left and before you return in Chapter 6. I think Sarevok’s diary also has a relatively detailed timeline of events.

I wonder where all those dead bodies came from. Did they grab people from the surrounding wilderness?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Shard posted:

I wonder where all those dead bodies came from. Did they grab people from the surrounding wilderness?

I always got the idea that candlekeep is way bigger than we get to see in the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duderclese posted:

I always got the idea that candlekeep is way bigger than we get to see in the game.

Yes. The biggest omission that would greatly change the events of BG1 is Miirym, a ghost dragon who lives in the catacombs and slays anyone who tries to attack Candlekeep or its inhabitants. You can see how Chapter 6 wouldn’t be the same if she was there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Figured out my game crashes were directly related to the SoD UI ++ mod. Removed it and no more crashes, plus I can use EEex now flawlessly.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Arivia posted:

Yes. The biggest omission that would greatly change the events of BG1 is Miirym, a ghost dragon who lives in the catacombs and slays anyone who tries to attack Candlekeep or its inhabitants. You can see how Chapter 6 wouldn’t be the same if she was there.

Sarevok had her replaced with a Dopple but good news! she got better :)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mod question: Are there any mods that allow you to, either in BG1EE or BG2EE, bench some party members but they gain some experience still?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Mod question: Are there any mods that allow you to, either in BG1EE or BG2EE, bench some party members but they gain some experience still?

There's a component in Level One NPCs to do that, but it's kind of a big hammer versus a very small nail if you don't want the stuff the mod normally does: https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documentation/readmes/readme-level1npcs.html

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arivia posted:

There's a component in Level One NPCs to do that, but it's kind of a big hammer versus a very small nail if you don't want the stuff the mod normally does: https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documentation/readmes/readme-level1npcs.html

Yea, not sure that's what i'm looking for. I'm looking for something where, if I want to bench Minsc for say Jan, then Jan won't be 47 levels lower in experience. It'd give me more incentive to keep a rotating bench.

Edit: Regardless, thanks for the link!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, not sure that's what i'm looking for. I'm looking for something where, if I want to bench Minsc for say Jan, then Jan won't be 47 levels lower in experience. It'd give me more incentive to keep a rotating bench.

Edit: Regardless, thanks for the link!

because of the mostly geometric nature of 2e experience gains (excepting loving DRUIDS) people who were benched should catch up pretty fast anyway, but i understand wanting something to help out a bit.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's one console command away, friend

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How does Monk play as a PC in BG2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Dangerously, depending on your mods and difficulty level. The gargoyle cloak is not one of the few items that transfers over from SoD so you have no crit immunity. They come "online" fairly early in BG2 and with ninjato of the scarlet brotherhood in the offhand they can definitely put out some good damage, just don't be surprised if they get blown up by a random crit because you drew the attention of a fire giant or dragon.