Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m high school news, my high school got to state semis and then got blown out. First time they made it to state though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wow. If Iowa wins the Big 10 tournament after beating Ohio State to close out the regular season, what are the chances they take Ohio State's #1 seed?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Wow. If Iowa wins the Big 10 tournament after beating Ohio State to close out the regular season, what are the chances they take Ohio State's #1 seed?

A billion percent, they’re already ranked in the top 3 so as long as they don’t lose they’re a 1 seed, and could go as high as #2 overall (SC is so much better than everyone else that they could lose in their conference tournament and still be #1 overall)

edit: there’s also now a better than average chance that they’ll be able to avenge their regular season loss to Nebraska

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 9, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Iowa women once again start hot with a 19-5 lead after less than 6 minutes: completely expected

Caitlin Clark shooting 0-1 during that run: lol Penn state

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

As if it was not already obvious, god favors Caitlin Clark. Iowa was the only higher seeded team in the big ten tournament today to win. OSU and Indiana both embarrassed themselves in new and exciting ways.

edit: I've put in slightly more thought to some stuff because I got mad at someone on Twitter saying that there's a chance that a Big Ten Champ Iowa would not be a 1 seed in the tournament

After tonight, there will be 8 teams that have a possibility at being a 1 seed in the Women's tournament. I'm going to rank them here by likelihood of getting that 1 seed for posterity and so y'all can have something to read.

1). South Carolina
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 1000%

At this point Dawn Staley would have to literally kill someone to stop SC from getting a 1 seed. They're undefeated in a season when no other major ranked team has less than 4 losses (sorry UNLV you don't count). If they lose to Tennessee or LSU it does not matter, they are still going to be overall number 1. Playing with house money until the NCAA tournament starts.

2). Iowa
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 90%

Before today this number would have been way lower but Ohio State and Indiana graciously decided to bow out to boost some fellow Big Ten teams' seeding in the NCAA tournament. This means that Iowa plays Michigan tomorrow and the winner of Michigan State/Nebraska the day after that. Iowa's perfectly capable of losing (and in fact lost to Nebraska earlier this season) but it's pretty heartening that they beat a surprisingly good Penn State team by over 30 despite Clark shooting 1/12 from three point range.

3). Texas
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 72%

Big 12 has been chalk so far but is complicated slightly by the fact that despite Texas being ranked well above Oklahoma, Oklahoma is the 1 seed in the conference tournament and gave Texas two of their four conference losses. I think Texas finally gets over the hump if the final is UT/OU mostly because they have the most to lose if they don't win their conference tournament mostly because the other good teams in the Big 12 have faltered a lot down the stretch. Neither WVU nor ISU are ranked at the moment despite flitting in and out of the top 25 through the year and Kansas State just isn't the same without Ayoka Lee. OU might be a little under-ranked at 20, so Texas needs to be perfect here. They're more likely than not to do it but their entire hope relies on winning that B12CCG, which is much more up in the air than Iowa's.

4). Stanford:
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 62%

The first team that has a shot at getting a 1 seed even if they don't win their conference tournament. Pac-12 has been a beast this year, which is why Stanford is sitting at #2 overall right now. I think Stanford has a slight edge on their finals opponent but it's essentially a toss-up. If they do lose, all hope is not lost because their regular season strength of schedule is so good that a few upsets of the teams above them could make them a more attractive candidate than the other teams in the running for that last slot.

5). USC/UCLA
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 48%

If they beat Stanford, they'll have two top-10 wins on back to back nights, and are already ranked in the top 10. There's a spot reserved in the 1 seed slots for any winner of the Pac-12 tournament, so all they have to do is go out and grab it.

6). UConn
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 12%

God dammit I thought we were free of these assholes for once. As it stands now, if they win the Big East (they will), they'll need Iowa or Texas to lose and Stanford to win pretty big, but there's still a shot for them to make it back into the top 4.

7). LSU
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 8%

They're currently sitting at #8, but if they beat SC in the finals they'll propel themselves up to the third 1 seed (behind SC and whoever wins the Pac) for sure based on that win alone. That's the only way, as yet another loss to SC isn't going to impress anyone and the SEC is a 2 horse race this year so LSU doesn't really have any impressive wins (they haven't played a ranked team aside from South Carolina since November).

8). NC State
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 3%

If absolute chaos (Iowa/Texas/UConn/LSU all lose) reigns, an ACC champion NC State has a shot. They're definitely not on the same level as the rest of these teams and they'll have to get past a (depleted) VT

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 9, 2024

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

DC Murderverse posted:

8). NC State
Odds of getting a 1 seed: 3%

If absolute chaos (Iowa/Texas/UConn/LSU all lose) reigns, an ACC champion NC State has a shot. They're definitely not on the same level as the rest of these teams and they'll have to get past a (depleted) VT

legitimately just happy to see an NC State basketball team and program mentioned even on the margins of the elite, wes moore has been a miracle worker

March 9

This America East is, like many years, Vermont and the field. If the Catamounts manage to make it, this year’s version will neither be the best nor the worst team of theirs you’ll ever have seen. (They are a slog to watch though, one of the slowest teams in the country despite the AE being the fastest tempo conference.) If the field takes it, UMass-Lowell is the next best, and it’d be their first NCAAT. All games at campus sites so the road goes through Burlington.

The Big Sky is yet another conference with no real top team but also no real dropoff among the top four or so. First place Eastern Washington is one of those freak shooting teams that could catch fire long enough to take down a 2 seed, but this year they whiffed on every chance to beat better teams. Their mirror image is Weber State, which defends a little better and does everything else a little worse, but managed somehow to beat St. Mary’s early in the season. Those two are bracketed into a semifinal together, with a potential final against the Montana-Northern Colorado winner. Everyone else is pretty bad. All games in Boise.

Finals:
OVC: 8pm ET, Morehead State vs. Little Rock. Morehead is the better team on paper but conference tiebreakers meant they had to play an extra game to get to the final. Little Rock won their only meeting this year by a single point at home.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Richard37215662/status/1766472833117442405

This rules. Am I going to Vegas?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DC Murderverse posted:

LIZ KITLEY SHALL RISE AGAIN

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Lady Clones take down Baylor in the Big 12 tournament. Two more to go.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Speaking to my father, I have realized how old he is by the kind of play he prefers in college basketball. Three-pointers? Too risky. Better just pass the ball until you can hit a layup.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

mdemone posted:

LIZ KITLEY SHALL RISE AGAIN

I hope so because the alternative is apparently losing to Notre Dame by 30

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I didn't get to say this during football season, so let's loving go Pack! Let's beat UNLV and get 6 seed or some crazy poo poo, woo!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DC Murderverse posted:

I hope so because the alternative is apparently losing to Notre Dame by 30

yeah without her we are toast

come back to us queen, you got one week to heal up

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
High Point goes down in OT, Big South plunges into chaos

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It'd be cool if this Kansas team played with any pride on the road.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

curried lamb of God posted:

Big XII (maybe co) Champions, baby :toot:

Thanks to our friends from the Little Apple, we are now undisputed Big XII Champions :toot: :toot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Temple may or may not be involved in a betting scandal

Not great

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Clones absolutely need to figure something out in offense. Not sure if they’re just tired or what, but their offense has been pretty rough for the last few weeks. If they face any team with a decent defense in the tournament, they’re going to be in trouble.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

caitlin has a double-double halfway through the second quarter

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Iowa up by 9 at the half is expected but I think everyone should see Michigan’s line because I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like this before:

They’re shooting almost 70% from 3 (started 7 of 7!) and are 4 of 17 inside the line. Iowa is outscoring them in the paint 34 to 6! That’s why Clark has so many assists.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Getting chanted "overrated" at by a school that can't even beat us in football, lol, gently caress off. See you in Kansas City, gently caress you.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Probably Magic posted:

Getting chanted "overrated" at by a school that can't even beat us in football, lol, gently caress off. See you in Kansas City, gently caress you.

I cringed when I first heard it, but it was just turnabout from the game in Lawrence

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Simply don't get blown out if you don't want to be taunted

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SC being taken to the final minutes is an achievement but let’s see if the spirit of Pat Summitt can pull one over on Dawn Staley

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

Simply don't get blown out if you don't want to be taunted

Simply win the conference eleven straight times before if you want to get that smug.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Simply win the conference eleven straight times before if you want to get that smug.

Tilting

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Oh gently caress Lady Vols re gonna do it

edit: what the gently caress

edit: Cardoso literally had not made a 3 all year until that moment

edit: I’m sorry let me correct that never hit a 3 in a game in her life

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 10, 2024

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Lmao I hope those titles bring you warmth after the first round exit in a couple weeks

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

Lmao I hope those titles bring you warmth after the first round exit in a couple weeks

I mean, the championships do.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Oh gently caress Lady Vols re gonna do it

edit: what the gently caress

edit: Cardoso literally had not made a 3 all year until that moment

edit: I’m sorry let me correct that never hit a 3 in a game in her life

Wtf was that ending? What a choke job.

E: what a terrible day for Tennessee. Lost at home on the men’s side and choke an all-time upset away on the women’s.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 10, 2024

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

curried lamb of God posted:

I cringed when I first heard it, but it was just turnabout from the game in Lawrence

The kids seemed nice, and Sampson's cool. I'm calming down. Anyway, let's unite over something we can all enjoy, which is Duke losing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://x.com/sportsiren/status/1766610987413889505?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

None of them move an inch, it made me want to throw up watching that live

edit: I’ve seen many gamecocks fans complain, probably not entirely without merit, that people have been ignoring their team this year in favor of Clark and other storylines across the league, but I guarantee you literally everyone is gonna be talking about them tonight

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 10, 2024

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Please fire kellie. She sucks

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I'm having a great time

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

That might be the most demoralizing single shot I’ve ever seen. UT could have parlayed that win into a surprise NCAA appearance. They came back down 23 to the best team in the country. Rickea Jackson had that perfect rebound to put them up 2 and they watched Ravyn Johnson miss their last real shot, they did almost everything right but with 1.1 second left on the clock, they didn’t guard a 6’7” Center who had never made a three and that was their downfall. No NCAAs, no big signature upset win, just that sick feeling in their stomachs. The steamroller keeps rolling.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
the entire population of the state of tennessee can suck my dick from the back gently caress tennessee go cayuts

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
both the men's and women's teams at mizzou suck rear end!!!!

good thing football and (checks notes) softball are rockin

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

OPAONI posted:

I'm having a great time

Still enjoying this but not as much as previous

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Rough day all around for Tennessee. You love to see it.

Also, Duke gonna Duke.
https://twitter.com/TheFieldOf68/status/1766618874219278801?t=95HWFFsE5OcoNNvpF0lpVg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Rough day from here on the top of the standings