Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

StrixNebulosa posted:

To Honor You Call Us... how chuddy are the books? I can hold my nose for military sci-fi, but anything blatant I should be braced for? (Man I miss David Drake, he was good at not doing that... and Eric Flint...)
The books aren't overly chuddy just dont read any of the authors tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RDM posted:

The books aren't overly chuddy just dont read any of the authors tweets

Can do, I don't think you even can read tweets without an account these days.

Also just so this page isn't chud n' twitter, I've dug up my old review for SN Lewitt's Cyberstealth: (back from 2021!)

quote:

A revelation like salt.

I have jokingly described Cyberstealth as Top Gun + spies + sci-fi to my friends, and that description still holds - kind of. There is so much nuance to this novel, from the characters to the world-building to the outstanding aliens.

It's about a fighter pilot in a sci-fi war, who flies with an alien partner who mans the weapons. Cargo is the pilot, Ghoster his "Eyes" and they work seamlessly together, counting kills and surviving.

Then they see the latest in stealth craft technology, the batwing - and yes, I know. It isn't a joke, it isn't a Batman fanfic. The batwing is more badass than the F-117 Nighthawk, more beautiful, and Cargo wants to fly one - and he's guided into the program for it.

The book alternates seamlessly between Cargo's present: training for the batwing, meeting his fellow trainees, their first major mission - and his past as a Romani youth, his teenage years as the adopted son of a Bishop, and how it all culminates in his growth as an adult. Places and emotions are sketched deftly, as SN Lewitt can write and while this is a slim novel, it's dense.

The portions of the novel where Cargo flies the batwing are some of the best writing I've read in any sci-fi, the perfect blend of the joy of flight, merging with the cyberpunk "maze" AI, communicating with his alien partner, and it's beautiful. Read the novel for these sections, stay for the rest.

My only complaint with the novel is the uncomfortable edge - the tension in the spy-plot, in the war, it prevents the novel from being light enjoyable fare - not that it's meant to be, but it's not an action plot, it's not the joy of a heist or flying a plane, it's something more that separates it from the pack.

Thought-provoking, that's it. An edge of horror. Brilliant. Please read this book.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help me, thread! I woke up with a weird and very specific desire: starship fights. Where can I go to read the good ones? Cherryh of course, SN Lewitt too, and the RTS-esque joy of the Lost Fleet series, but... where else? Where can I get ship to ship combat? I don't care if it's dogfighting or carrier battles or whatever, I want to read about starships fighting!

(I suspect a part of this desire is being driven by how so far First Man in Rome is fantastic but lacks action, and I want explosions this morning!)

A Passage at Arms, also by Glen Cook. And if you’re willing to do the A-M thing and treat the sea as sci-fi, submarine books are a good shout - Run Silent, Run Deep is one of the classics in the genre (and was written in the 50s about WWII so just be aware, 50s Navy officer as author), as is Das Boot; there’s also Frank Herbert’s Dragon in the Sea, and of course Hunt for Red October.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help me, thread! I woke up with a weird and very specific desire: starship fights. Where can I go to read the good ones? Cherryh of course, SN Lewitt too, and the RTS-esque joy of the Lost Fleet series, but... where else? Where can I get ship to ship combat? I don't care if it's dogfighting or carrier battles or whatever, I want to read about starships fighting!

(I suspect a part of this desire is being driven by how so far First Man in Rome is fantastic but lacks action, and I want explosions this morning!)

Scott Westerfeld's Risen Empire duo contains excellent spaceship fights, along with a bunch of other stuff you are likely to enjoy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mewse posted:

I still don't know what cozy means, can I request another 100 posts debating it?

It's like having golf on in the background while you're working a jigsaw puzzle on a bright sunny day

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Mrenda posted:

I have no issue with cozy anything. It's just a clunky book. And it seems people's reactions based on that that, from the likes of the wikipedia and commentary, were for her supporters to say, "They just want edgy stuff!" which isn't fair.

This is definitely a Thing, yes. Mostly a feature of twitter discourse thankfully but it’s like there’s a narrowing of focus, where it’s assumed that anyone who doesn’t like her stuff (or who doesn’t find it startlingly new and unprecedented) is under suspicion of being a Grim Edgelord Bro.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

grassy gnoll posted:

Scott Westerfeld's Risen Empire duo contains excellent spaceship fights, along with a bunch of other stuff you are likely to enjoy.

Yeah!!!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seconding the recs for Passage at Arms and Risen Empire.

Somewhat more schlocky but loads of fun, Glynn Stewart has written a bunch of starships-go-boom books; of those I liked the Duchy of Terra books the most, but he's got lots of others if you're still hungry after that. Blaze Ward also operates in kind of the same niche, but I don't like his stuff as much. Both of them scratch the same itch as Weber for me, but with better writing and less odious politics. David Drake's RCN series is also worth a look; I bounced off it but it's a common rec in this space for good reason.

M.D. Cooper has written a shitload of military SF, but the only stuff of hers I've read is more focused on groundside stuff.

Over on the webnovel side, The Last Angel starts from the same premise as Duchy of Terra (a single capital ship escapes the alien conquest of earth and is out for revenge) but takes it in a wildly different direction, with the only survivor being the ship's badly damaged AI. Two books (plus lots of short stories and novellas) with a third still being written. Free to read on SpaceBattles.

I would be remiss not to mention Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire trilogy here too.

And going further back, Timothy Zahn's Conquerers trilogy is a mix of space and ground fights with many picturesque explosions.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
There's plenty of good starship fights in print, but for the best possible you have to look outside of books.

Specifically, you have to watch Outlaw Star.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll put up the Exordium series for some really high-quality spaceship fights. The authors have worked out the really intricate and bizarre tactics that emerge when you have tactical FTL and lightspeed sensors. You can take a long-range shot, then skip in closer for another shot and both will land at the same time for double damage.

And then the complex society and intricate revenge plots are also fun reading.

Book 1 of 5:
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Flight-Exordium-Book-ebook/dp/B0051J66J4/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I thought Exordium took place on Earth/NYC?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fez_machine posted:

The Exordium series and Exordia are different series/books. The latter does take place on Earth.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

See such previous posts as

Phobeste posted:

I accidentally ended up with these books called the "exordium" series which was definitely not due to loving up searching for exordia but it turns out they're pretty good, especially if you like stuff like overwrought political descriptions and weird space rituals. The Phoenix In Flight is the first one. They are for some reason incredibly hard to search for. Like em a lot

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Exordia (Battuta’s thing) does. Exordium is something totally different.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Which is based on a yugioh card?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

fez_machine posted:

Which is based on a yugioh card?

That's a book in the Bible>

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

+1 for Passage at Arms.

The Culture novels have some pretty interesting space fights, but its not a huge feature of the series.

The STARFIST series also has some interesting space battles and how they would pave the way for an invasion of landing troops, but those are all in the back-half of the series.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Poldarn posted:

The Culture novels have some pretty interesting space fights, but its not a huge feature of the series.

It's not what I'd recommend someone who's looking for a great space battle, but I really liked the bit in Surface Detail where The ship knows there's someone following them, so they put their human occupant in all sorts of safety gear and offer to give them a projection of what's happening. At one point when the fighting has started, the ship says "This is my favorite part". It turns out the fight took around 12 seconds and the ship just slowed it down so they could show off to the passenger.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

It's not what I'd recommend someone who's looking for a great space battle, but I really liked the bit in Surface Detail where The ship knows there's someone following them, so they put their human occupant in all sorts of safety gear and offer to give them a projection of what's happening. At one point when the fighting has started, the ship says "This is my favorite part". It turns out the fight took around 12 seconds and the ship just slowed it down so they could show off to the passenger.

iirc, it was less than a second and the initial mild jolt the passenger felt at the beginning of playback was the entirety of the battle.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

Agree w/r/t great space battles, I think that that space battles that do occur are very interesting.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I forget which one, but its a few books later and there are a some Minds that have been in battles, and they're all off on their own comparing notes with the other Minds thinking that group is a bunch of goobers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pseudorandom name posted:

iirc, it was less than a second and the initial mild jolt the passenger felt at the beginning of playback was the entirety of the battle.

The beginning of excession has a fantastic battle in space

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Nothing wrong with brambly hedge

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Poldarn posted:

Agree w/r/t great space battles, I think that that space battles that do occur are very interesting.

I forget which one, but its a few books later and there are a some Minds that have been in battles, and they're all off on their own comparing notes with the other Minds thinking that group is a bunch of goobers.

Excession is the book that's mostly ships talking to each other so it's probably that one

Consider Phlebas has an excellent space battle-esque sequence where they have to sacrifice the orbital to avoid the mind being captured

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
General Battuta's rewrite of Mission of Honor is the best Honorverse story, IMO

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/mission-of-honor-retold.64883/

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Isolationist posted:

Such a goddamn solid book, how did you even find it? To keep it thread appropriate, this is a 900 page doorstop book by an Australian author that hits a lot of the same notes as The Empire Trilogy by Raymond Faust (Daughter of the Empire etc).

IMMEDIATELY added to my TBR, thank you!

Deptfordx posted:

What's a 'Progression Fantasy Epic'?

Is this another term for litRPG?

I’m two pages late to this, but seeing as I did actually do the market research on this as part of a deliberate attempt to write the next Cradle, I might as well share if people are interested:

https://youtu.be/wnGInMrkBF4?si=NJuf0GTDH0J3Nz25

Skip to 5:33 for the progression fantasy market/niche breakdown which goes until about 14:00. Spoilers: I did not succeed in writing a progression fantasy; if you read my book expecting one you will be horribly disappointed.

Since I made this video, there’s been a lot of new progression fantasy published and I haven’t really kept up with it. There might be a new champion in the genre now that Cradle is done.

Worth noting that Will Wight, as of June 2023, has sold over 5 million books (all formats, including free downloads) and just finished raising $1 million for an anime adaptation of the first book of Cradle.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
All the Seas of the World by Guy Gavriel Kay - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CYNZLSV/

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I finally sat down and read The Tombs of Atuan last week. The strange, stark beauty of the setting, the wonderful and haunting prose. The way Ged transforms, Tarot-like, from The Magician to The Hanged Man, in over his head in the locked halls of the labyrinth. It's a nightmare of feminist despair--"You are eaten! You are eaten!"

It is so good. The lesson Ged gives Tenar, which is basically, "the forces of darkness, entropy, and negation are real, and they should be respected, but they are not principles to base your life around," is such a weird and potent message. I feel like I could spend the next several years of my life reading only Ursula K. Le Guin and be better for it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I actually just finished The Dispossessed, and plan to give Tombs a try next, alternating atuan and hainish.

What a masterpiece. Every chapter heavy and necessary. I agree with the "could read Le Guin forever" sentiment.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hot take: post-Harry Potter adults should read tombs first and then wizard of Earthsea as a prequel

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

buffalo all day posted:

Hot take: post-Harry Potter adults should read tombs first and then wizard of Earthsea as a prequel

nah, that sounds reasonable to me. I'd extend that take to anyone who's read anything of Kingkiller Chronicle series too

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Literally just bought the Complete Illustrated Earthsea tome thanks to this thread discussion. I’ve only read Wizard previously but always meant to read more and figured, hell, why not?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

Hot take: Harry Potter adults should read another book, literally any other book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Polikarpov posted:

General Battuta's rewrite of Mission of Honor is the best Honorverse story, IMO

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/mission-of-honor-retold.64883/

As someone who had noped out of the series 4 or 5 books previously, let me just say that this is a great red. I love it when a good writer gets pissed off about something and starts writing.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Literally just bought the Complete Illustrated Earthsea tome thanks to this thread discussion. I’ve only read Wizard previously but always meant to read more and figured, hell, why not?

That's the edition that I used to hook my mom into LeGuin! She'd be physically unable to read the type in the classic paperbacks, so this was a great thrift store find.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
No tombs but locked tombs

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alastair Reynolds' books have some decent space combat (mainly the Revelation Space series). The Fall of Hyperion also ended with things exploding in space rather entertainingly IMO (I have heeded the warnings to stop there, though).

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Completely forgot to post this news—Janny Wurts is finally getting an audiobook of her big epic fantasy series:

Leng posted:

For anyone who's been putting off starting The Wars of Light and Shadow because all the books are massive chonkers and you want an audiobook, rejoice! An audiobook of Curse of the Mistwraith will be releasing very soon:

https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1766863326875693267

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

pradmer posted:

All the Seas of the World by Guy Gavriel Kay - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CYNZLSV/

I've not yet read GGK. This an OK place to start?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Two self published recommendations:

A.d. Bloom's the war of alien aggression series. First contact, double crossing, lots of small ship stuff.

Blaze ward Jessica Keller series. Started as a rip of of honour Harrington but is (to me) way less annoying. He's a content mill and most of it is terrible but for some reason I really liked these ones.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Also it's just great, such a great space opera author and it's a real pity he decided to be a successful ya author instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Whale Vomit posted:

I've not yet read GGK. This an OK place to start?
As good as any, I suppose. He keeps writing the same book in different settings.