Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

And yet somehow, Jiren still kinda sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Jiren is the complete opposite of the rest of Super. 'What if Dragonball had to fight the Justice League' is an interesting premise but with lackluster execution.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

this would rule with the dub surfer stoner voice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What if there was a girl Broly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Jiren is the complete opposite of the rest of Super. 'What if Dragonball had to fight the Justice League' is an interesting premise but with lackluster execution.
the thing is that jiren is so close to a bit. this guy whos serious and brooding and has a dark past and refuses to participate in any of the goofiness and doesnt have attack names. hes meant to be the complete opposite of goku, and that contrast is emphasized by his goofy superhero buddies. but they never really... push hard enough on that point.

like jiren needed to be *more* serious and moody to the point of self-parody. then itd be an actual bit. as it is hes just kinda there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hit was the superior dark brooder

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jiren needed more backstory but I like how he was handled in the tournament itself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think in terms of being a Stronger Fightman he was executed well but its a shame thats really all he brought to the table

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Jiren needed more backstory but I like how he was handled in the tournament itself.

Frankly he needed LESS backstory, what backstory of his we got made him into into one of those lame "I will never rely on anyone, power is all that matters" edgelords

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Self-serious to the point of comedy is already Piccolo's (and to an extent, Vegeta's) current role. You sorta need something more to stand out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Hit was the superior dark brooder

Love Hit doing a giant anime yell because Goku was doing them to power up and just going “drat, I guess that doesn’t make me stronger after all”.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Reads left to right

Toribot: Hey, I heard it's the 30th Anniversary of Dragon Ball. Amazing, isn't it?
Goku: Wow...

Goku: But meh, it's not like it was running for 30 years straight through.

Toribot: Don't say unnecessary things! I made you guys famous, be more grateful!

Vegeta: Pfft, you should be grateful to us. Dragon Ball was only able to survive this long thanks to us.

Toribot: How conceited! You were supposed to be killed by Goku, but I saved you from death!

Vegeta: Interesting...I heard it was because I got so surprisingly popular that you were too scared of readers' reactions to kill me off.

Toribot: Well, yeah...How should I have known that someone with a hairdo like you would get so popular?

Freeza: I see...Then you came up with me to kill me off in his place.

Toribot: Freeza!

Oh come on, thanks to that you became the best villain character ever! That's why I even revived you for the new anime movie!

Freeza: I heard you'd forgotten how to draw me though.

Toribot: 30TH ANNIVERSARY! BANSAI!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Hit is the best new character. Love his design. Anyway, every time I think back to the ToP I remember 17 just being no nonsense the whole time. Him interrupting Ribrianne's transformation and everyone giving him poo poo for it still makes me laugh.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just randomly threw on Super Broly in the background and I guess I've never actually listened to the Eng dub since ive been reading Gine as Jean and its been GeenAyy this whole time?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
are you saying bardock is forrest gump?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

what if there were androids that were even stronger than freeza

freiza would have kicked their rear end

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mr.Acula posted:

Just randomly threw on Super Broly in the background and I guess I've never actually listened to the Eng dub since ive been reading Gine as Jean and its been GeenAyy this whole time?

It's Negi backwards you see

Vegetables.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's Negi backwards you see

Vegetables.

Huh, I thought it was a reference to aubergine, but that works too

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have some core childhood memories of heading downstairs in the early morning hours by myself to watch DB and sailormoon, too young to follow the plot of dragonball in the slightest and since they aired them out of order, then when DBZ came to toonami I remember rushing to the TV when DBZ would be on and being absorbed in the plot with everyone grown up from DB that then took a hard turn into aliens and space travel to weird planets with the intrigue of who would end up the dragonballs and guys screaming at each other to power up before beating each other up with the occasional episode being just 80% reused scenes or flashbacks from the last episode and inner monologues of how the other guy is really strong and frieza transforming into the alien from aliens for like, 2 episodes, it was great.

It's a special kind of pain to know the world lost someone that both made happy childhood memories for so many people and that was far too young to die so suddenly while in the middle of even more projects, it was sad to hear he passed.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Will be airing DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION tonight, roughly round 8pm ET.

Critically panned, a 2009 flick that sank any ambition for live-action anime adaptions for years. Maybe time has been forgiving to it, we'll have to see! RIP Toriyama.

https://goontu.be/

come watch dragon ball evolution with gunes

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Bumper Stickup posted:

Hit is the best new character. Love his design. Anyway, every time I think back to the ToP I remember 17 just being no nonsense the whole time. Him interrupting Ribrianne's transformation and everyone giving him poo poo for it still makes me laugh.

Everyone who had a transformation was legitimately offended lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Would like to see a DB EVO adaptation attempt at the Saiyan or Frieza saga

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's going to be an "In Memory of" for Toriyama in Sparking Zero and the first episode of Daima and whichever one comes first is going to probably cause a lot of ugly crying for a lot of people

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GateOfD posted:

Would like to see a DB EVO adaptation attempt at the Saiyan or Frieza saga
Now in college studying biomedicine as a way to further his KI, Goku meets a mysterious rival at a cross-school pep rally, who he believes to be the online bully RADD*DITZ. He calls his underclassman protégé, Krillin, to have him cover the lab that night. Killin objects saying he has a "hot date" and Goku humorously guesses it's with some video game.

Following the mystery person to a remote location, Goku finds that Radd is fighting a mysterious opponent, who reveals themselves as SON PICCOLO (birthed out of the dying Piccolo's body). Not knowing who to back, he fights both of them to a standstill, until Radd underhandedly rips Piccolo's arm off. Radd reveals that the Oozaru activated a psychic call to other Saiyins in the quadrant, and that 3 have been ordered to take the Traitor Goku in for re-education or DEATH. Goku challenges Radd to a race, with Goku easily getting the advantage thanks to his NISSAN NISMO NIMBUS, but Radd uses a concealed weapon to cause a crash. Confronted by a regenerated Piccolo, who has been charging his Special Cannon Beam, Goku sacrifices himself to eliminate Radd. Piccolo drives him to Chi-CHI and Bulma in an attempt to save his life, where a pair of mysterious Motorcycle THUGS overhear them speaking of the Dragon Balls through Radd's Landcruiser ExUV. They pile into a vehicle whose license reads V_GTA and take off into the green sky.

Caught between life and death, Grandpa Gohan Roshi appears to Goku and challenges him to go on a spiritual journey that will last One Month. At the end of that month, he will have faught his way across the Great Wall of China (in actually the body of an ancient dragon) to find a portal leading to the domain of the KING OF KAI, a master of Ki that will unlock his latent potential. Grandpa also tasks ChiChi and Bulma to travel the world and find 5 superhuman fighters that can stand with them against the threat of the Saiyins, who live only to cause death in their quest for the Perfect Foe.

<cue training and fighting middle>

Having failed to master the Way of Kai (KAI OH KEN), Goku revives and joins the Earth's Special Force in fighting against the totally emo bikerpunks known as the Saiyins, who say they are like the yin to humanity's yang.

The forces are able to dispatch General Nappa at great cost, while Goku has almost beat Vegeta. Knowing that the battle is lost, Vegeta causes his ship to overload, triggering the Oozaru Protocol and dispersing Lunar Radiation across the battlefield.

Oozaru Vegeta and Oozaru Goku fight an epic kaiju battle leading to Goku being brought down. ChiChi attempts to shield the surviving forces from Vegeta's Onslaught, but begins to fail. Overcome with love for his friends, Goku is able to finally unlock the Kai Oh Ken. His body rippling with red energy, his blows bring Vegeta down. Standing over his defeated foe, Goku tells Vegeta to leave and never return. The wounded Saiyin retreats, but not before commenting that he should have known that "The Prince of all Saiyins" would be hard to beat.

With his friends, Goku collapses knowing that the Kai oh Ken would strain his body beyond its limit. At the 11th hour., ChiChi discovers that she is a Spirit Princess with a connection to the otherworld. Piccolo joins her in drawing power and infuses Goku with a radiant spiritual power suit that renews his life force. But Goku is left weak and knows he will never be able to draw on the Kai oh Ken again.

As the team celebrates and vows to bring back their lost friends using the Dragon Balls, the scene shifts to Grandpa Gohan speaking to the King of Kai. They both hope that Goku will be ready for what comes his way next as the camera pans out to the universe and a shrill laugh is heard menacingly.

After the credits, Krillin, alone at the lab fumbles with equipment. He answers a knock at the door when a pretty-but-awkward blonde introduces herself as the exchange intern, Azul. Krillin welcomes her and says she's going to be a great fit with the rest of Dr. Jiro's research team.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sorry but the driving instructor and Post Boy, whoever he is, should be #1 and #0.

Responsible for the actual best filler anime episode of all time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1767213170404274564?t=Q6U--aUa_RPsCUT4UYRUkw&s=19

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1767215706188472533?t=9qRa17MgvXFn8UVDtUnZwg&s=19

:qq:

E: also Daima is announced to be getting a TV broadcast in Japan

https://twitter.com/DB_official_jp/status/1767168986649964639?t=U8_SVhW4owzv8aH4Qr8Ktg&s=19

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 11, 2024

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I wonder if Daima was going to be the last project Toriyama worked on, I'm basing this on his own comments that he wasn't sure how long he could keep working due to his health.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

I wonder if Daima was going to be the last project Toriyama worked on, I'm basing this on his own comments that he wasn't sure how long he could keep working due to his health.

I think like most manga artists, he would say "I need a break" and then two months later he decides to start a new project.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I hope he contributed to the Sandland projects

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://apnews.com/video/animation-and-comics-television-movies-pedro-ferrer-74153e19333648df8cbec369b97425a6

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

i think in terms of being a Stronger Fightman he was executed well but its a shame thats really all he brought to the table

From memory, Toei intended for him to have Top's personality but Toriyama told them they got it wrong and when they asked what kind of personality he should have, Toriyama said "iunno, stoic" and then they spun their wheels for eight hundred episodes until Toriyama gave them something more concrete.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I want to see the alternate universe where Jiren ran around and screamed about “JUSTICE!!!” all the time.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I want to see the alternate universe where Jiren ran around and screamed about “JUSTICE!!!” all the time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr.Acula posted:

The TFS series will always be the canonical dub for me, and DBZA once it got rolling hit the emotional beats better than Z ever did.

They did a retrospective commentary on their buu saga yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJDrxXV2grI

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

M_Gargantua posted:

The TFS series will always be the canonical dub for me, and DBZA once it got rolling hit the emotional beats better than Z ever did.

lol good one you almost had me there

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
must we relitigate this again

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

They did a retrospective commentary on their buu saga yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJDrxXV2grI

gently caress outta here lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

wrong

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

M_Gargantua posted:

Compared to the english dub, agreed.

Nothing compares to the Latam dub, tho. Superior to even the original in every way. There's a reason Dragon Ball is a religion in Latam! Just below Football but above catholicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the english dub since kai is good now