Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Holdovers was the most Giamatti a role has been since Sideways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

saw Dune Part Two instead of watching the Oscars and think it was the right choice

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The Oscars is the one trash tv show I allow myself, thankfully it’s just once a year

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CapnAndy posted:

nice meltdown / this motherfucker actually paid for a free hellsite lol combo post

Rabbi Shmuley is a real person? I though he was just a joke comedy writer threw out when they need a super Jewish name.

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!
I enjoyed some bits of the show, but between the insane running time and the self-indulgence it is not a surprise that the audience for this thing is dwindling. There's simply too much good TV nowadays and Jimmy Kimmel will always be a lowest common denominator type of host.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Rabbi Shmuley is a real person? I though he was just a joke comedy writer threw out when they need a super Jewish name.
I've never heard of him before tonight idk

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

things I liked:

elemental lost
John Cena's dumpy
this clip that looks like Ryan Gosling is astonished at a clapping dog:
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1766988820405272603?s=20
big night for batman villains

things that suck:
the circlejerking over the actor noms instead of clips
barbie getting shut out, but if this is as a gently caress you to Zaslav I;ll change my opinion
killers of the flower moon getting shut out too
ken should have won best song
war is over! winning
the focus on the in memoriam section being the interpretive dance and not the people we've lost, why the hell was the camera so far back

e:forgot godzilla winning, that was cool as hell

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 11, 2024

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Holdovers was the most Giamatti a role has been since Sideways

I'm still annoyed PG didn't even get a nom for Sideways

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ignis posted:

Lily Gladstone losing is almost as bad as War is Over winning best animated short

It was the worst of all the shorts but they can't loving resist Beatles

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CapnAndy posted:

I've never heard of him before tonight idk

Looked him up, he made his name carrying water for Michael Jackson during the accusations in 90s, then turned around and wrote a book about it after Jackson died.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

PenguinKnight posted:

the focus on the in memoriam section being the interpretive dance and not the people we've lost, why the hell was the camera so far back

Yeah that was the one part of this show that genuinely pissed me off. Like, wtf making us squint to see half of the names

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Also it was pointed out to me that Al Paccino spent far more time onstage presenting on the Game Awards than he did here, and I find that amazing tbh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Games are objectively more important and more profitable

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PenguinKnight posted:

And then when the list of names popped up at the end, the camera was two hundred feet away and they only had it on the screen for about two seconds, no time to read it at all. Whoever made the decisions regarding the In Memoriam segment should be fired.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

PenguinKnight posted:

barbie getting shut out, but if this is as a gently caress you to Zaslav I;ll change my opinion
I assumed they're all very pissed at Gerwig (which is still probably true) but didn't even consider that aspect

Ignis posted:

Also it was pointed out to me that Al Paccino spent far more time onstage presenting on the Game Awards than he did here, and I find that amazing tbh
well yeah, there he was getting paid

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Cillian Murphy carries most movies he's allowed to lead so I don't begrudge that one

Giamatti maybe had a shot but he's always just a little bit Giamatti is his roles, never really disappears into it

I personally feel Villain Murphy was not half as good as Hero Giamatti, this is outrageous. Murphy's hat won that Oscar

* I'm playing up the grumpiness like Paul would do, bless ye Paul. Sure I like Murphy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I did go back and check the year for Sideways and Giamatti absolutely should have won for that over Foxx in Ray

nobody even remembers Ray
Musician biopics should never win awards, they're dime-a-dozen

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Foxx should've gotten a nom for Collateral

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sideways is a masterpiece for sure, always fun to watch. I do think he's significantly better in Holdovers, top of his game.

But in general, comedy and a certain mix of quirkiness does seem like it has a tougher time winning awards.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The Oscars is the one trash tv show I allow myself, thankfully it’s just once a year

This is my super bowl and I'm very blessed to spend it with you CD. Thank you <3

On that note, I'm going to drink some pickle juice and get ready for work tomorrow.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

I did go back and check the year for Sideways and Giamatti absolutely should have won for that over Foxx in Ray

The Weird Al one was good.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Foxx should've gotten a nom for Collateral

He did.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think the major reason I'm bummed Opp got director and best nods is that it just feels like a significantly safer movie to make. Would never have thought someone would make a Barbie movie that is as phenomenal as it was. That they got permission to take the plot where they did, all the production stuff, etc. Would have been nicer to see it get more nods to reward the risk.

Opp is a very inherently interesting story (guy makes big boom), but imo the risk they do take (let's focus on everything around the bomb and not really the bomb itself) they drop the ball on entirely with a nonsense scooby-doo villain subplot with RDJ. They got me in the seat because of the initial story, but then told it in a boring way. Killer's of the Flower Moon did something similar, but the twist (movie about white guys taking land) ended in a twist I felt really worked.

Still, yay Godzilla. Yay Poor Things.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I still like Ray

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

She was the lead of the movie. The fulcrum of the movie. The emotional heart of the movie. And she gave a better performance than Stone did. She was loving robbed and anybody who voted for Stone should be ashamed.

She should've been but she wasn't in the movie Scorsese made, which was just another rehashing of the Goodfellas formula. There was an article talking about how the role got beefed up after Gladstone was cast, getting up to 100 minutes of screentime, except the movie is 206 minutes long. She spends the third act of the movie on the brink of death.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Barbie got all the awards it deserved.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I think the major reason I'm bummed Opp got director and best nods is that it just feels like a significantly safer movie to make. Would never have thought someone would make a Barbie movie that is as phenomenal as it was. That they got permission to take the plot where they did, all the production stuff, etc. Would have been nicer to see it get more nods to reward the risk.

Opp is a very inherently interesting story (guy makes big boom), but imo the risk they do take (let's focus on everything around the bomb and not really the bomb itself) they drop the ball on entirely with a nonsense scooby-doo villain subplot with RDJ. They got me in the seat because of the initial story, but then told it in a boring way. Killer's of the Flower Moon did something similar, but the twist (movie about white guys taking land) ended in a twist I felt really worked.

I have to imagine there's a cut of Oppenheimer out there with no explosions in it at all and it's for sure a better version of the movie than what the real one
drat good movie but could have been great with some tweaks

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

live with fruit posted:

She should've been but she wasn't in the movie Scorsese made, which was just another rehashing of the Goodfellas formula.

Marvel brain.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Marvel brain.

The rise and fall of a criminal conspiracy. Sounds like a Scorsese movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

She should've been but she wasn't in the movie Scorsese made, which was just another rehashing of the Goodfellas formula. There was an article talking about how the role got beefed up after Gladstone was cast, getting up to 100 minutes of screentime, except the movie is 206 minutes long. She spends the third act of the movie on the brink of death.

Oh god, I'm glad I stopped watching that halfway through. It was a loving slog and a half, and I thought she was imminently about to be killed off, and she was the only reason I sat through the first half so I gave up. Her character just slowly dying through the back half must have been somehow even more miserable than the first half.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

It's funny how there's theoretically a two hour cut of Oppenheimer that leaves Downey out completely and it's probably a better movie.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Marvel brain.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I have to imagine there's a cut of Oppenheimer out there with no explosions in it at all and it's for sure a better version of the movie than what the real one
drat good movie but could have been great with some tweaks

Would agree if I felt like anything with Strauss worked at the end. There's a really great question asked about how a person grapples knowing they contributed to a weapon like that, and I think a lot of actual rumination on that got lost in the movie's weird focus on Strauss's point of view. Left me kind of wishing they had gone way one or another more fully.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Would agree if I felt like anything with Strauss worked at the end. There's a really great question asked about how a person grapples knowing they contributed to a weapon like that, and I think a lot of actual rumination on that got lost in the movie's weird focus on Strauss's point of view. Left me kind of wishing they had gone way one or another more fully.

Nolan likes to lean on other movies/books as a writer and apparently settled on Amadeus for this one.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

You know, I never really thought about it until reading the last few posts but in retrospect, yeah, I’m not really sure what purpose the Strauss plot line served other than to insert some semblance of a villain into proceedings. Maybe the book goes into it a lot deeper/better but I’m not sure it translated to screen all that well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

live with fruit posted:

Hari doesn't appear in Solaris until an hour and eleven minutes. I guess that means she isn't the lead, or the heart of the movie either.

I cannot get inside the mind of someone who watched Killers and thought it was just another Scorsese gangster film. It's a complete and total failure to understand the film

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't even really remember that character(Strauss) from the film (I haven't watched it since the theater run)

If I was going with memorable supporting actors in it... Damon more than RDJ for me.

Or Branagh as Bohr

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Hari doesn't appear in Solaris until an hour and eleven minutes. I guess that means she isn't the lead, or the heart of the movie either.

I cannot get inside the mind of someone who watched Killers and thought it was just another Scorsese gangster film. It's a complete and total failure to understand the film

The heart isn't necessarily the lead. This movie is firmly about Ernest getting roped into his uncle's evil plan.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Killers is infinitely better paced than Oppenheimer which just loving meanders up to the point I turned it off (1.5 hrs or so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vintersorg posted:

Killers is infinitely better paced than Oppenheimer which just loving meanders up to the point I turned it off (1.5 hrs or so).

Lol c'mon