Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Feels like the most Wizards thing ever that they are the first Eastern team eliminated from the playoffs, even before the 28-game-losing-streak Pistons, despite winning their last 2 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

morestuff posted:

I went and listened to the podcast and it really does not sound like what he's saying

Here's a rough transcript:

not exactly a hot take and basically what everyone here is saying?

woah woah woah, I'm not about to listen to what someone actually said before getting mad about it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah lame rear end statue for a lame rear end player. AI was always cooler (do not read about his relationship with his ex wife, i regret starting Not a Game)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also I think lakers colors just make you look lame whoever you are. Sorry. It's a combination know as "royal piss"

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the lakers colors are Good even if they are associated with a historically bad franchise bereft of any meaningful basketball pre 2019

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lamelo fall

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I think there is a good amount of pressure. If by year 3 the Spurs aren’t a playoff team; I could see Wemby asking out.

Wemby is a generational, LeBron player. Plenty of teams have won championships through other means. The teams who won it building through the draft also tended to be in basketball purgatory and got extremely lucky via second round picks.

The new CBA will require teams to replenish through the draft as it will be difficult to hold onto 3 max guys anyways. The sooner the Spurs get a #2 and can build around two clear guys, the better.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ChickenMedium posted:

They spelled decision correctly DIRECTLY ABOVE where they spelled it wrong and it is doing my head in. I'm going to assume that the sculptor that they contracted actually hates Kobe and sabotaged the project on purpose and for that reason I applaud them and their efforts.

it's possible they outsourced this part of the sculpture to a company that maybe did not have the firmest grasp of the english language

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Poverty franchise giving him 3 statues including a literal child who never played even a second for the team

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/UsherNBA/status/1767210653503107505?s=20

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

tristeham posted:

lamelo fall

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mean Baby posted:

I think there is a good amount of pressure. If by year 3 the Spurs aren’t a playoff team; I could see Wemby asking out.

Lol, no he won't. He isn't going to sabotage his career earnings threatening not to take the inevitable max extension. Everyone always says these things and it's always the same: The financial motivation is such that the drafting team has contract control for ~8 years. That's not going to change with Wemby.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My son is also named Vom Wafer.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Lockback posted:

This is kinda contradictory. "Go all in" means "Spend your assets" which means "Mortgage your future". I think you mean this:

Which I agree with. Assuming they start looking for a mix of youth and mid-career fit this offseason they'll probably be in the 10-12ish seed in the West if they don't do anything extraordinary. I think they try to grab a young promising player, ideally guard, at a decent price if they can (including future picks), but don't go nuts trying to force something. If you can get your Brunson or FVV or whatever equivalent you can be in 3rd gear and aim for a feisty play-in team. If you can't, you're in 2nd gear and aim for Wemby's 3rd year to be the big splash and be a better team than this year but still have growth (especially for the supporting cast) be a focus. Wemby isn't going to burn down the Spurs if they're not a contender in 2 seasons.
"Go all in" meaning try to win games now. Of course the spurs aren't going be contenders any time soon but hording picks and tanking is a waste of time. Wemby is ready now and he's ambitious. He's not waiting 8 years to start building a team or winning games. The spurs should trade some picks or players to make a proof of concept now and over the next years. I think with Wemby, they will achieve a lot. If they fail, then they have time to get different players. I don't think he needs a star studded team, just a well thought out team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Oh I don't think they're tanking anymore. They started the season with some decisions that prioritized player development over winning, but even that is probably behind them at this point. I think they'll be trying to get better actively from now on but I also don't think you're building a playoff team without either selling off future assets or getting REALLY lucky.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Mayhaps this is a le unpopular opinion, but to me, putting an unedited box score on a memorial statue to someone who died unexpectedly is rather tacky. On the other hand I guess it’s funny that for the next hundred years aaron williams’s name is etched in stone as DNP - COACHES DECISION

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Put up a Gregg Popovich statue with the box score where Duncan is listed as DNP - OLD

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://x.com/richierandall/status/1765405388239675557?s=20

Miller's overtaken Chet for second in PPG among rookies despite a bit of a shooting slump post-ASG. His mid-range game and particularly his finishing has really improved as the season went along, hoping we get Melo back for at least like 10 games to close out the year

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

I went and listened to the podcast and it really does not sound like what he's saying

Here's a rough transcript:

not exactly a hot take and basically what everyone here is saying?

I don't know how you don't parse that as zach lowe says they need to build a contender or whatever right now because wemby is good. And that's what I said. I didn't say wemby is going to leave if they don't.

Brass tacks they need to get a good pg and otherwise build smart because there's no fast way to do it if you're outside a glamour market

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't know how you don't parse that as zach lowe says they need to build a contender or whatever right now because wemby is good. And that's what I said. I didn't say wemby is going to leave if they don't.

Brass tacks they need to get a good pg and otherwise build smart because there's no fast way to do it if you're outside a glamour market

He goes on to say they should probably look around for a veteran guard. How is that pushing all your chips in to build a contender

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

He goes on to say they should probably look around for a veteran guard. How is that pushing all your chips in to build a contender

This is what happens with generational superstars…You become so good so fast that it doesn't even really matter what you want or how patient you want to be…they are not going to leave you a choice. You are going to develop on their timetable because they are going to drag your rear end there…

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is what happens with generational superstars…You become so good so fast that it doesn't even really matter what you want or how patient you want to be…they are not going to leave you a choice. You are going to develop on their timetable because they are going to drag your rear end there…

I do not at all take that as him saying they should or have to make shortsighted win-now moves, just that they'll win games regardless because Victor is great

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What on earth has gotten into the water?

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1767230421656387605

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Lockback posted:

Lol, no he won't. He isn't going to sabotage his career earnings threatening not to take the inevitable max extension. Everyone always says these things and it's always the same: The financial motivation is such that the drafting team has contract control for ~8 years. That's not going to change with Wemby.

Why wouldn’t he be able get that extension after being traded? He would be easier to trade before an extension. He has a lot more power than your average rookie.

Also he is going to make so much money on endorsements him going to a bigger market would more than offset any loss in salary.

I don’t think it is likely, as the Spurs will definitely look to upgrade this summer, but if they draft projects like Holland and Saluan, could be rough.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
Wemby's too good to replicate the OKC rebuild, that's all I'm reading from Lowe there. There is no pathway for the Spurs to be contenders next year or likely the year after that, regardless of how good he is so talk about timetables and patience seems misguided.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Everyone saying generational now when I got absolutely torched calling Embiid a generational talent his rookie year.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think the spurs draft a point guard this year and have one more year in the lottery, then push for the playoffs the year after.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shear Modulus posted:

I think the spurs draft a point guard this year and have one more year in the lottery, then push for the playoffs the year after.

Yeah, I think they make some improvements (but probably not a huge swing like Trae Young) and are fighting to be a playin team next season. Probably mid 30s wins

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

LeTacko Fall

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

Everyone saying generational now when I got absolutely torched calling Embiid a generational talent his rookie year.

I hope you hang onto this slight another ten years. Stay strong

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mean Baby posted:

Why wouldn’t he be able get that extension after being traded? He would be easier to trade before an extension. He has a lot more power than your average rookie.

Also he is going to make so much money on endorsements him going to a bigger market would more than offset any loss in salary.

I don’t think it is likely, as the Spurs will definitely look to upgrade this summer, but if they draft projects like Holland and Saluan, could be rough.

San Antonio would never in a million years trade him on his rookie contract, they'd never get value back, and they know they have until like 2030 before he'd have any pushback (as long as they were willing to pay him the max). Someone on a rookie contract has never pushed for a trade like this ever. Wemby's only recourse would be to threaten to take a QO in 2027 and sign as a FA in 2028 somewhere else which would

1. Cost him probably $100m plus on JUST that contract vs what the Spurs could offer and
2. Likely cut down on his future contract as well as unless there's another cap jump he has a good chance of staying ahead of the salary growth curve by taking max raises every year.

That's just not happening, it's never happened despite people writing that KD was going to, and Luka was going to, and Zion was going to, and like 4 Timberwolves players were going to. They all take the max extension because there have 0 leverage to force a trade that early. And Wemby seems like a laid back guy who likes where he is. This fanfic is just never coming true.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Heck yeah

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1767294343641976871

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Chris Paul to the Spurs to get his ring off Wemby's 3rd year

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Metapod posted:

Okc was not in a worse spot as they got all their assets the same offseason they got shai.
The spurs don't need to tank but they need more lottery talent there is zero rush to put a contender around a 19 year old

I just meant from a contract/youth talent perspective. CP3 and Gallinari were old, Adams was on big money, Schroeder only had a year left on his deal. Only Dort and Diallo ended up being any good.

Spurs aren't exactly brimming with young talent outside of Wemby, but I think Tre Jones, Keldon Johnson, Collins, Sochan and Vassell are all rotation level players and are on team friendly deals.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vassell is a valuable guy, and Sochan has promise even if he was used in a weird way to start this season.

The rest are just sorta varying degrees of "Probably guys you want off the bench", but as a whole that isn't the worst place to be. No bad contracts (outside of I think Keldon Johnson, but that isn't outrageous), everyone is generally young, everyone is generally moveable. Rosters can get turned over really fast in those situations, it's a matter of waiting for the right opportunity,

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This is good and makes sense. I wonder if this ends the Ontario basketball experiment or if another G league team ends up there.

dokmo posted:

trivia: which players have fallen down the most and the least (per touch).

most:

fewest:

Every Charles Barkley narrative about AD is false.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Algund Eenboom posted:

Mayhaps this is a le unpopular opinion, but to me, putting an unedited box score on a memorial statue to someone who died unexpectedly is rather tacky. On the other hand I guess it’s funny that for the next hundred years aaron williams’s name is etched in stone as DNP - COACHES DECISION

It’s WILDLY tacky, top 3, right up there with giving him a 19 foot tall statue and a statue of him and his daughter for some reason

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

do u think if rick fox had actually been on the helicopter that his statue would capture his handsomeness or would it be a weird monstrosity like that soccer player one

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
https://x.com/wojespn/status/1767309733533229439

Stunned it isn't anything even more serious because that looked bbad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I think they make some improvements (but probably not a huge swing like Trae Young) and are fighting to be a playin team next season. Probably mid 30s wins

They have to push to be an above .500 team to fight for the play-in in the West. They are a long way off to come even close to that.