Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

In the movies I swear they mention there’s a guild and that they need spice for space travel in the opening narration in the first film. I think it’s Chani’s voiceover explaining why the Harkonnen are on the planet extracting the stuff, and that it’s made them even richer than the emperor.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

She's a much better character in the movie than the books.

Sure sounds like it! :prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

kaom posted:

In the movies I swear they mention there’s a guild and that they need spice for space travel in the opening narration in the first film. I think it’s Chani’s voiceover explaining why the Harkonnen are on the planet extracting the stuff, and that it’s made them even richer than the emperor.

Every adaptation of the first book mentions that Spice is needed for space travel very early on. It's the one change they all make from the book. For the rare person who actually reads the book without ever seeing any of the movies or talking about it with someone, then the entire "spice is essential for space travel" reveal is a big one.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, in this movie the use of spice for space travel is common knowledge, the fact that it’s the prescience it gives would be the secret part. Because no one outside of secret groups knows it gives prescience to individuals that can handle it. Everyone else shrugs Paul’s spice visions off as hallucinations.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Huh I kind of thought people knew the witch guild’s powers since they gagged Paul’s mom in the first movie, but not him. And they must have some future visions because that’s how they’re running their operations right? And why the emperor would have the Reverend Mother working for him? I took it Paul as the end game (kwisatz haderach thanks google) just has more accuracy, or that he has the ability to see multiple futures.

Actually “what’s unique about Paul other than being a man” is one thing the movies haven’t really explained, but I’ve been willing to roll with it since I get the sense they’re playing around with things they don’t fully understand.

I might have to read the book eventually because the movies are so interesting, and it sounds like they changed a lot in adaptation so there should still be surprises. Although I’m glad to be forewarned about Chani lol.

Also I’m really glad they put some of the weirder names on screen in subtitles because I wouldn’t know where to start trying to look up the spelling otherwise. (I love weird sci-fi names though, this isn’t a dig.)

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Chani isn't mad about anything in the books because she is an incredibly flat and shallow character that just does whatever Paul tells her after they meet up. A lot of people in this thread think that the movie including Paul telling her, "Don't worry babe, you're still the only girl for me." somehow would have changed her decision in the movie, when the real issue was that he broke every promise he made to her over the course of the whole film. He promised her he wasn't the Messiah, that he had no interest being a Duke anymore, and that he just wanted to be her equal. He constantly was asking her to just trust him slowly wiping away her lingering doubts, and then in the end he not only rejected all of that, fooled the Fremen into following a false prophecy, and proclaimed himself Emperor, but he couldn't even keep the simple promise of staying with her. She's a much better character in the movie than the books.

Yes, thank you. I adore the books but whenever I read about people preferring book Chani I wonder whether we read the same thing. This movie really made me like her.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

kaom posted:

Actually “what’s unique about Paul other than being a man” is one thing the movies haven’t really explained

I haven't read the books so maybe it's explained there better and the movies don't explicitly connect the dots, but they're there. Paul is basically the end product of a millenia long eugenics project. He has the Atreides and Harkonnen bloodlines, is trained as a Bene Gesserit and has BG blood, and eventually trained as a Fremen. All of this (somehow) lets him survive drinking the Water of Life, which is otherwise fatal to men, and gives him access to all the ancestral memories of all the above bloodlines and also super prescience.

The other thing about Chani is that Paul also promised to keep being Paul, iirc. So when he drank the Water, he also changed enough that he was no longer the Paul she knew. There are echoes of this theme of identity in the heart to heart Leto has with him on Caladan as well, where all he ever wanted was for Paul to also keep being Paul.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 13, 2024

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I watched Part One again tonight and I noticed that the fight between Gurney and Paul at the beginning ends almost the same way as the fight between Paul and Feyd in Part Two, just with Paul being the smarter one in that fight, rather than him almost getting killed by Gurney.

Considering that final fight doesn't quite follow the book, it is a very neat little plot thing from Denis that I think works well in the context of the film.

Thinking back I think almost every change the film made to the book is for the better, at least in terms of a watchable movie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't read the books so maybe it's explained there better and the movies don't explicitly connect the dots, but they're there. Paul is basically the end product of a millenia long eugenics project. He has the Atreides and Harkonnen bloodlines, is trained as a Bene Gesserit and has BG blood, and eventually trained as a Fremen. All of this (somehow) lets him survive drinking the Water of Life, which is otherwise fatal to men, and gives him access to all the ancestral memories of all the above bloodlines and also super prescience.

He's also trained to be the heir of a Great House, and though it's not referenced in the film, Book Paul is additionally trained as a Mentat. He's a total confluence of all the systems of power in the Duniverse

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kaom posted:

Huh I kind of thought people knew the witch guild’s powers since they gagged Paul’s mom in the first movie, but not him. And they must have some future visions because that’s how they’re running their operations right? And why the emperor would have the Reverend Mother working for him? I took it Paul as the end game (kwisatz haderach thanks google) just has more accuracy, or that he has the ability to see multiple futures.

Actually “what’s unique about Paul other than being a man” is one thing the movies haven’t really explained, but I’ve been willing to roll with it since I get the sense they’re playing around with things they don’t fully understand.

I might have to read the book eventually because the movies are so interesting, and it sounds like they changed a lot in adaptation so there should still be surprises. Although I’m glad to be forewarned about Chani lol.

Also I’m really glad they put some of the weirder names on screen in subtitles because I wouldn’t know where to start trying to look up the spelling otherwise. (I love weird sci-fi names though, this isn’t a dig.)

Everyone knows the sisterhood have "witch" powers and can manipulate people. I think some people regard it more as superstition, but it's a known thing. The prescience, breeding program, and their connection to spice are the secretive bits.

In both the film and the book, the purpose of the breeding program is to create someone who is capable of connecting to the full genetic memory of humanity after surviving the full spice/water of life dose. Prior to Paul, only the trained sisterhood members could survive it and doing so only gave them a partial connection. In the book, they specifically only have access to the female half of genetic memory and the Kwisatch Haderach will have access to both... I don't think the movie specifies that bit.

The movie doesn't dive too much into the gendered reasons for things at all. In the films, you could probably assume no men could survive the water of life because no men were taught how (Before Jessica broke the rules and taught the Bene Gesserit ways to Paul) and maybe the Kwisatch Haderach could have been a woman. In the book it had to be a man because of... a whole lot of odd ideas about gender that the movie was probably best off avoiding. Herbert was better than most of his contemporaries with gender just because being so horny for dominant women (There's a whole faction of dominatrixes later on) saved him from generic misogyny, but his ideas in that area were still odd nonetheless.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 13, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bugblatter posted:

saved him from generic misogyny, but his ideas in that area were still odd nonetheless.

Read this as "genetic misogyny" and loled at the irony

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Genetic memory: carried on the X and Y chromosomes.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Bet they would have felt pretty silly if the KH could only access the memories of his male ancestors.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/tomsthevoice/status/1767663937871368606?s=46

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

YaketySass posted:

Bet they would have felt pretty silly if the KH could only access the memories of his male ancestors.

Hi, Gazing Into The Place You Dare Not Look, I'm Dad

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I loved how they expanded Chani's character and gave her some real agency in the film, and also made as the mechanism of how Paul becomes Fremen, so it was still learned, even if prescience predicted it.

Ending the last shot of the film with her seemingly abandoning Paul / disappearing to the desert was quite strange. It read to me like they are setting her up to be the antagonist (or protagonist) of the next film. Especially since it's the literal cut to credits.

Since they had footage of Anya Taylor Joy playing and adult Aria makes me think there'll be a 20+ year time gap to the next film, so it seems strange that they focus on that here. But then again I didn't think they'd be making the sequel books, and that I don't remember Chani being in Dune Messiah much (though it's been an awful long time.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Speculation that Chani will be leading the fremen who appose Paul in Denis' Messiah seems on point.

It makes her a lot more interesting than just being victim to Irulan's birth control for a whole book.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
“You must have wondered,” continued Stilgar, “how the Sietches stay in communication?”
Jessica acknowledged the question and its unspoken assumptions with a half-nod.
“Of course,” she said.
Stilgar gave a faint smile and waved at the far end of the cavern. “You are about to see a thing that few among even our own people have seen. It allows us to remain in contact with one another across the breadth of Arrakis itself. It is called the Zum Meeting.”
Jessica felt her pulse quicken- stilled it. A rectangle of light sprang into being in the cavern, throwing silver-edged shadows across Stilgar’s face.
Is this it? thought Jessica. Could this oblong of light be the secret means by which sietch speaks with sietch?
“Commence the Zum Meeting,” commanded Stilgar.
And then-
Madness!
Jessica recoiled. The light flared, fractured- a mosaic of lights. Distorted fragments of faces seen from strange angles. A nose, an eye, mouths- moving, slipping. A babble of sounds and voices; breathing and the oceanlike roar of fabric shifting, amplified hugely. Jessica writhed before the Zum, her mind a child’s toy boat tossed upon huge cold waves of light and noise.
“Calm yourself,” came the voice of Stilgar. “While you watch, you also are watched.”
The axiomatic truth of this statement brought Jessica back to a state of full awareness. She shook her head. Slowed her breathing. Forced relaxants down nerve pathways ragged with panic hormones. Her training exerted itself; she shed the animal desire for comprehension and simply let her senses absorb. Hadn’t they taught her that, all those years ago? Any perceptual framework could become a cage. Her haste to understand stood in the way of understanding.
As her body calmed, Jessica allowed herself to perceive the Zum. A rectangle made of smaller rectangular images, generally of faces, though a few showed blank swathes of colour. The largest rectangle by far held the visage of a particularly old and distinguished-looking Fremen male. As Jessica beheld the face, she felt the animal panic of the Zum give way to a deeper, unfolding terror- a black-edged flower of dread blooming within her mind.
“No,” she whispered, as understanding ratcheted outwards in merciless concatenating waves of cognition. For she had looked at the older man in the Zum meeting confidently expecting to analyse voice, glance, movement- and had found her skills instantly thwarted. She had stepped out on to a foot that was suddenly no longer there, perhaps had never been there. The man’s visage had been passed through some kind of filter that alternately froze and unfroze the recording- stuttering, rhythmless. The implications were inescapable. Somehow, the Fremen had gained knowledge of the Bene Gesserit's most advanced nerve-reading techniques- and developed this Zum meeting whereby they could be countered. The Zum was a weapon in a war against understanding.
The older man spoke on, but his voice couldn’t be heard, to the evident discomfort of the other younger Zum participants.
He speaks without speaking, thought Jessica. Great Mother! He is a parable from the old tales made flesh!
And her mind raced to her son, Paul, and to the emrbyonic foetal baby zygote within her uterine wombplace.
As the Zum meeting continued, and others spoke, Jessica realised with immense and shameful relief that the abilities granted her by the sisterhood were still of some use:
The Zum participant Grobdar, for instance, was either in the profound meditative trance of a fourth-level bistar, or his camera had frozen. Somarra’s sound recording apparatus had been activated, even though it was not her turn to speak, amplifying the sound of her breathing hugely and causing ripples of alarm through the other Fremen. Subtle twitches of the eye and tendons told Jessica that Kevn had his attention on another screen none of them could see; and Ohnlifanz, the youngest and most desirable of the Fremen females present, possessed a surprisingly high-quality camera and lighting rig for some reason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
loving lmao :master:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the doon exchange parodying Herbert's "hm," "ah!" "oh?" "hmph." "but...?" "ah-ahh!" "heh heh" "indeed..." style of dialogue, except it's two fremen talking past each other over Zum due to insane lag

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bugblatter posted:

Something that probably doesn’t come across in the films that makes exposition a bit difficult is that humanity is in a sort of a dark age where most people are ignorant, yet don’t even know they’re ignorant. A handful of people within secretive groups have a lot of knowledge, and those groups aren’t even sharing with each other. Although Paul and the reader will eventually have the full picture, most of the cast wouldn’t really know to question some things, let alone be able to deliver exposition. Spice and space travel is a big part of it. While everyone knows the guild needs spice for space travel, few outside of the guild could guess that they need the prescience it provides to plot routes through space without advanced computers. The book doesn’t even give the clues for that until surprisingly far in and even then it’s somewhat left to the reader to connect the dots.

Yeah, one thing that Warhammer 40k (and also Battletech, for that matter) overtly takes from Dune is the theme of a space dark age, where despite people clearly being intelligent and cunning, and living in a spacefaring civilization with immense material wealth and power, they've lost so much knowledge and understanding they don't even know they've lost, and culture and technology have stagnated and regressed to the point of a feudal system. This is actually a pretty major theme as the books go, like Leto II's whole thing is that seeing the present through the eyes of the past he realises how ridiculous it looks and how the deeply culturally ingrained prohibitions on technology have backfired so badly.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, one thing that Warhammer 40k (and also Battletech, for that matter) overtly takes from Dune is the theme of a space dark age, where despite people clearly being intelligent and cunning, and living in a spacefaring civilization with immense material wealth and power, they've lost so much knowledge and understanding they don't even know they've lost, and culture and technology have stagnated and regressed to the point of a feudal system. This is actually a pretty major theme as the books go, like Leto II's whole thing is that seeing the present through the eyes of the past he realises how ridiculous it looks and how the deeply culturally ingrained prohibitions on technology have backfired so badly.

To be fair, Dune takes this from Foundation because the former is very much a response to and critique of the latter. Prescience leading to disaster is a direct refutation of Hari Seldon's psychohistory.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

Thinking about it now I'd put Dune 1/2 in a league with The Shining, in that the movie interpretation hyper-focuses on a single theme and removes much of the story irrelevant to serving that theme. Kubrick's Shining takes out the Torrances' complexity to serve the horror of the Overlook. Villeneuve's Dune cuts out a lot of the incidental characterization between e.g. Jessica/Gurney/Duncan to focus on the horror of a messiah. In poorer hands, reducing character to cliffs notes absolutely kills stories (like the back half of Game of Thrones), and I think the back part of Dune 2 flirts with that, but like The Shining, the vibe of the movie is enough to carry it through the worst of the changes.

Great post.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
He's not the Messiah, he's a very prescient boy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Great post.

:agreed:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

100 unironically, dv is the closest anyone's come to reaching stanley kubrick's level, down to the same exact criticisms about grand themes yielding inert characters. except he seems to be a pleasant guy and not a complete rear end in a top hat

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It's too bad Frank Herbert is dead, I'd love to see him pull a Stephen King (hating Denis' adaptation and writing a boring and cheap TV miniseries adaptation purely out of spite).

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's too bad Frank Herbert is dead, I'd love to see him pull a Stephen King (hating Denis' adaptation and writing a boring and cheap TV miniseries adaptation purely out of spite).

He did like David Lynch’s movie

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
He especially liked Lynch's take on Dune Navigators.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have seen DUNC 2. It is better than DUNC.

With all due respect to David Lynch, history has vindicated Kung Fu On Sand Dunes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PeterWeller posted:

To be fair, Dune takes this from Foundation because the former is very much a response to and critique of the latter. Prescience leading to disaster is a direct refutation of Hari Seldon's psychohistory.

It's interesting reading Foundation in light of Dune because Foundation ain't exactly bloodless either. There's a lot of bloody war and starvation and misery happening just outside its anodyne viewpoint. To the extent Hari Seldon was able to predict/manipulate/profit from that, it ain't hard to view him as a monster.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 13, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
frank herbert should have called the second book Dunes

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Looking up the dune books on Wikipedia was wild man. What do you mean his son took over the mantle and they’re STILL dropping books. Holy poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

frank herbert should have called the second book Dunes

Dune$

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Looking up the dune books on Wikipedia was wild man. What do you mean his son took over the mantle and they’re STILL dropping books. Holy poo poo

Co-authored by a guy best known otherwise for his Star Wars Expanded Universe books, which should tell you about their quality.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

And incredibly every single one of his son's books suck rear end.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's funny because KJA wrote at least one Star Wars book where Han gets enslaved on Kessel, the planet where they mine the "spice," a drug that gives you psychic powers.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Hell yeah KJA wrote the novelization of the terrible "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" movie, and now I'm thinking about Sean Connery as Leto II

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The “J” in his name stands for “I’m a lovely Hack”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Hell yeah KJA wrote the novelization of the terrible "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" movie,

yeah that tracks