Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Death, taxes and the bitch of an ex-wife, the only 3 guaranteed things in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
My jobs language policing is pretty much “maybe please don’t drop f-bombs directly in front of customers” and I work retail lol

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We have about 10 drivers to cover delivery areas for a giant metro area. They are stationed in 3 separate locations, and work between 7-3 or 8-4.

Orders have usually an 8-12 or 2-4 delivery window.

Lately there has been a glitch where another window appears: 2-7pm. So stores input orders but there are no drivers. So drivers are asked to stay late.

This could be avoided if someone dealt with the glitch. Or the station with 5 drivers had 2 of them moved up to where most of the afternoon deliveries are, which has no drivers to cover that zone.

And with all this, our DM is coming to town today and tomorrow, and the boss wants to yank everyone off the road to have a sit-down talk with the DM so we can ask any questions and form a friendship with the dude whose job our boss wants and was turned down for.

Lastly, we have about 5 spare vans in the fleet, all at location A which is an hour from my location and 20 minutes from the second one. My van needed repairs, but rather than have my van towed to the mechanic and left there, I had to wait with my van for the rest of my shift because manager doesn't like the vans left overnight. So I needed a backup van for Tuesday: manager would not loving respond to texts to calls if I could get a spare/the code for the lockbox for an hour. Even dispatch called him to no avail.

I still don't know how it's professional for a manager to have a loving beard that is about six inches long and looks like red pubes when everyone else has to have a neat trimmed beard if they want one at all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Haha yeah definitely a glitch making the day longer with less coverage creating mandatory surprise/not-surprise overtime. Absolutely not something a dumb fleet manager would agree with sales, just a glitch.

IT will surely fix the glitch but they are busy playing with the dogs on the farm up state.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah what the gently caress, this decision was made retroactively and he thought he had the ok. Your boss is being a petty fuckhead penalizing someone who did absolutely nothing wrong, just because he has the power to do so - all because he's in a bad mood?

This isn't a baby playing with toys and harmlessly letting his emotions out, this is someone's life this guy is loving with. You need to go over your boss's head about this one.

There is a project manager at my company that on calls loudly says “silence means yes to me” when asking for agreement. Seems to work reasonably well, as people will usually speak up if there is a problem, but they maybe can’t be the one to give the official “yes”.

Sounds like Tactlessbastard needs to start setting a deadline for a response with an automatic result if no response is given. At least gives them some cover for taking an action when the boss doesn’t respond.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Johnny Truant posted:

My boss called me a big dumb loser last week, and this week I said he was a huge fuckin nerd lol

You should consider couples' counseling

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If your employees don't tell you to go gently caress yourself every now and then you've either hired people who can't stand up for themselves, or created a workplace where they don't feel empowered to do so. Either way that's shameful management right there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Outrail posted:

If your employees don't tell you to go gently caress yourself every now and then you've either hired people who can't stand up for themselves, or created a workplace where they don't feel empowered to do so. Either way that's shameful management right there.

:hmmyes:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Re: swearing, it's extremely tiring to listen to people who can't express a single sentence without half of the words being expletives. It's even more tiring if the person spends about six hours of the day screaming those expletives at their computer because they're unable to comprehend how Excel works.

Outrail posted:

Or - and I realize this is rare - the company treats people well and there are no complaints.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darkest Auer posted:

Re: swearing, it's extremely tiring to listen to people who can't express a single sentence without half of the words being expletives. It's even more tiring if the person spends about six hours of the day screaming those expletives at their computer because they're unable to comprehend how Excel works.

when some dingus takes down half the production lines on the east coast because they made a whoopsie, crud or fiddlesticks really lacks the appropriate gravitas, though id agree that someone constantly shouting at their own computer would get old.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My boss is ex-navy. There is no restrictions on swearing in our team except for volume.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cthulu Carl posted:

My boss is ex-navy. There is no restrictions on swearing in our team except for volume.

yeah im ex army and have a similar outlook, but i have a 3 year old so i try to be flanders at home for sure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've fully eliminated any urge to swear having a 1 year old in the repeat everything phase so now I have the privilege of saying "golly gee" in front of warehouse workers when the warehouse management system is being a dick hole i.e. constantly.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

when some dingus takes down half the production lines on the east coast because they made a whoopsie, crud or fiddlesticks really lacks the appropriate gravitas, though id agree that someone constantly shouting at their own computer would get old.

I wouldn't expect people to act like robots, but there is something to be said for people exercising some basic control over their emotions. I don't want to be around a person who is prone to making outbursts whether in a work context or otherwise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The important thing is that they have a filter when necessary. You need to be able to clean it up when a customer or the boss’s boss’s boss is hanging around etc.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
considering the last ding dong in question was like 1300 miles away and not on a call with me, i think they'll manage ok and they probably didnt recieve any lasting psychic damage. but dont exactly appreciate an extra crisis that takes 6+ hours to resolve for literally no good reason

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

If I gently caress something up at work I just stop and laugh at myself a little or maybe let loose with a "good job" or "gosh bless it". People who have to swear loudly or stomp around and punch/throw things when something doesn't go their way are just telling on their own anger management/mental health issues.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Swearing is fun you don’t have to have brokebrains to enjoy it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fiddle dee dee! That will require a restore from backup!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Orvin posted:

There is a project manager at my company that on calls loudly says “silence means yes to me” when asking for agreement. Seems to work reasonably well, as people will usually speak up if there is a problem, but they maybe can’t be the one to give the official “yes”.

I know this is kind of a bitchy-bossy thing to say, but I'm stealing it. I'm putting it in my internal email signature.

Lately I'm dealing with a couple of junior employees who don't check, or at least respond, to email. I know it is dated, but that's how everything gets tracked in my industry. And these are my junior office guys who spend all day in front of a workstation and probably only get 4-5 emails a day.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I will say I did get somebody written up because they wouldn’t stop dropping r-bombs after being asked politely, multiple times, to knock it the gently caress off because we do have a couple challenged people in the building, as well as people with challenged kids. You can swear, but don’t use derogatory terms casually.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Coasterphreak posted:

I will say I did get somebody written up because they wouldn’t stop dropping r-bombs after being asked politely, multiple times, to knock it the gently caress off because we do have a couple challenged people in the building, as well as people with challenged kids. You can swear, but don’t use derogatory terms casually.

i agree with this completely especially if its pointed at a person you just cant slur at all or swear AT people. absolutely wrong and a seriously hostile environment for folks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I swear all the time and that includes at work but I don't ever swear at people or to describe people, never use slurs of any kind, and don't shout. I also read the room and keep it pg depending on audience or situation.

Never had any issues anywhere. As always, just don't be a goon about it and you'll be fine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
People Situations are 'stupid loving goddamn ****s'.

People are 'challenging individuals to work with'.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

AFAIC there are two times that it's acceptable to swear at people when at work:
- when they've deliberately hosed you over
- when someone's life or health has been endangered.

That said, I find myself swearing more and more obviously at 'them' when some corporate brained $&%^#@ puts out a one-step-forward-two-steps-back update that makes my office work needlessly tedious.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Today we had a quarterly all hands call/presentation. This was with the parent hold company and all the children utilities. Basically the CEO had a prepared speech, and some VPs had some speeches. I didn’t pay attention to much, as the buffering every minute for the first half of the video made it especially obnoxious.

At the end there were some responses to prepared questions. The topic of an extra day in the office came up (from two to three). The CEO doubled down on the whole collaboration spin. Saying he wanted to start it even earlier, instead of giving everyone 2 months to make arrangements for the extra day in the office.

He even outright mentioned that everyone made their numbers last year. That it mostly boiled down to the fact that over half the executives had less than 5 years with the company in some meeting, and he thought they should be face to face more.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

One of our sales reps sent through a case for a customer who purchased some equipment and scheduled a delivery time. So we had a truck on the way to deliver it, and the driver called the customer to confirm the delivery and let them know they were almost there. The customer told the driver they had no idea what he was talking about and that they didn't purchase any equipment. The driver reached out to me and I gave the customer a call. They told me the same thing and I asked them for their name, and they gave the same name that the sales rep sent through to us, and maintained that they made no purchases and didn't know what I was talking about. So I apologized for the inconvenience, cancelled the delivery and sent the case back to sales so they could figure out what went wrong.

The sales team got back to me later and said they “mistyped” the customer’s phone number, and passive aggressively complained that we didn't complete the delivery anyway because the actual customer was waiting around and called the sales rep, upset that they didn't get their equipment. I'm pretty sure they just googled the customer’s name to find a phone number and stuck it in the ticket, because it was an entirely different person with the same name. Yet they think this is somehow our fault for not completing the delivery after the person with the name they gave us at the phone number they gave us said they weren't expecting any equipment from us.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 13, 2024

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Someone at my (small) organization got fired, nobody knew it was coming but there had been rumors about his performance being poor. I worked with them for years, but we weren’t close. I texted them after to give my condolences and let them know about some job opportunities I had heard about in our field. They mentioned that when they were let go, they had to sign an NDA in to “receive their final paycheck”.

That seems…not right?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Someone at my (small) organization got fired, nobody knew it was coming but there had been rumors about his performance being poor. I worked with them for years, but we weren’t close. I texted them after to give my condolences and let them know about some job opportunities I had heard about in our field. They mentioned that when they were let go, they had to sign an NDA in to “receive their final paycheck”.

That seems…not right?

It's probably not right, but lots of people don't understand their rights or are misinformed by their (former) employers about their rights.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Orvin posted:

At the end there were some responses to prepared questions. The topic of an extra day in the office came up (from two to three). The CEO doubled down on the whole collaboration spin. Saying he wanted to start it even earlier, instead of giving everyone 2 months to make arrangements for the extra day in the office.

I think I'd respect them more if they just admitted they missing having people to lord over.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Mantle posted:

It's probably not right, but lots of people don't understand their rights or are misinformed by their (former) employers about their rights.

An NDA in some regards would not be out of line for a lot of the stuff we deal with at my work, but the specific “you will not get paid for the work you have already done” seems sketchy.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I mean, I don't think they can legally withhold his final pay pending an NDA. They can offer him money to sign it or potentially withhold paying out accrued PTO if that's spelled out, but they can't hold his paycheck ransom. That NDA isn't valid if they did that, it would've been signed under duress.

But depending on what actually happened? Either on the employee side or employer side, it probably doesn't matter.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I had to sign a non disparagement contract with my last job in order to collect my severance when they canned me

Joke was on them I had already gotten all my disparaging out of my system :agesilaus:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Our CEO and the executive committee came to visit our center today. Apparently one of their assistants messed up and forgot to tell anyone.

They had a big town hall scheduled that no one knew about. The room was empty.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Zero One posted:

Our CEO and the executive committee came to visit our center today. Apparently one of their assistants messed up and forgot to tell anyone.

They had a big town hall scheduled that no one knew about. The room was empty.

Finally, they got the respect they deserved.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It takes like an hour and a half tops to deliver an office's worth of pizza to attract people to catch and release from the conference room. Easily solvable problem for someone having the decisive will of an executive which leads me to believe yours are weak.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Years ago when we got a new driver manager, she got the conference room at our hub set open with several pizzas and sodas for us all.

The issue was that of the 20 drivers we had, only 12 were anywhere near the hub. The others ranged from 30 to 60 minutes away.

And not a single one of us had the time to drive there to get pizza, because our routes were so crammed we barely had time to take a lunch.

I think she considered that a slight, because she made the next one mandatory. Still most people weren't able to come. However the employees at the hub enjoyed all the pizza we didn't get a chance to eat.

Next she made a mandatory Saturday meeting, and spent a good chunk of money getting everyone loving dollar-store mugs with little cocoa and coffee bags and tons of mixed crappy candy. Plus breakfast food for about 40 people. Still wasn't enough to buy our love because who the gently caress can be bought with that poo poo on a Saturday morning when we all worked Mon-Fri?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Mandatory meeting on your day off might be the dumbest thing in this thread aside from all the other dumb things in this thread.

Since you'd probably already hit your quota, does that mean everyone was getting time and a half for the meeting?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

An NDA in some regards would not be out of line for a lot of the stuff we deal with at my work, but the specific “you will not get paid for the work you have already done” seems sketchy.

I'd be amazed if it wasn't additional compensation as a severance, but who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dameius posted:

Finally, they got the respect they deserved.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't do the speeches anyway, just as many people would have given a poo poo.

That seems…not right?

Probably not legal, and they probably don't care because the worst that can happen is they have to give him his paycheck if the state DoL bothers to call.

It's not ACTUALLY the worst that can happen, but it's the worst that would probably happen. Big "Landlord keeping your security deposit for issues they made up" energy.