Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The level of savagery in this thread is unbelievable, a gentleman just slides them in-between the first page of the instructions and then files them away forever.

I use the app.
Like the man of brick science I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I must be in a distinct minority because i stick all the stickers on where I am told like a good little Lego man

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sometimes I do the stickers, sometimes I don't. I like to remain unpredictable.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I only skipped the rust stickers on the newer Ecto-1

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

a sexual elk posted:

This describes me pretty well

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Putting stickers on is fun and the sets look better with them generally. Hard agree on the ecto 1 though.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Speaking of stickers, has anyone seen an era-accurate sheet for the Senna F1 car? If I'm bothering with stickers I better be able to advertise Marlboro cigarettes dammit.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i have a tiny screwdriver that i use to balance one edge of the sticker on and it lets me slowly lower the sticker down. tweezers are also nice for this but the advantage of the screwdriver is that you can essentially get one side totally level as you're lowering it, instead of tweezers where you still need to adjust for both axis

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toothpicks also work well

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I do stickers in a big bed with my wife

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The fact that you call it doing stickers makes me think you're not ready.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Brick Clicker of youtube has images of a DnD treasure chest mimic set! :woop:

But it's a GWP. :(
https://www.youtlube.com/watch?v=lOPrSNe_2u8&ab_channel=BrickClicker

HootTheOwl posted:

I simply leave the stickers in the box and forget about them when I start throwing boxes away
Paperclip them to the instructions.

a sexual elk posted:

:hmmyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really hope he’s wrong about the NASA set being the Artemis w/ launchpad. I’ll probably still buy it but I wish they’d stick to previous programs/missions like Mercury, Apollo, etc instead.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Vintage space sets I would buy:

A mid-scale Apollo Command Module plus LEM model.
Apollo + Soyuz (not likely)
A rocket garden of the older rockets at the same scale as Saturn V.
Skylab

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I built all 5 of the new Speed Champions models today. Both BMW models use flat tiles in a way that greatly disturbs me - the finished models have flat tiles clicked in edgeways between studs and left to sit like that! It's just not right dammit!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
GNU Terry Pratchett

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

i have a tiny screwdriver that i use to balance one edge of the sticker on and it lets me slowly lower the sticker down. tweezers are also nice for this but the advantage of the screwdriver is that you can essentially get one side totally level as you're lowering it, instead of tweezers where you still need to adjust for both axis

I use the end of the brick separator in the same manner.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

SadisTech posted:

I built all 5 of the new Speed Champions models today. Both BMW models use flat tiles in a way that greatly disturbs me - the finished models have flat tiles clicked in edgeways between studs and left to sit like that! It's just not right dammit!

The unsecured stud and tile stack near the exhaust on the M4 still haunts my dreams

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/0e6104ab-4de3-4d9f-a22a-f8a9d468b99c
Love it. how much

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's unlikely Lego would make sets featuring the Atlas or Redstone rockets given that they were repurposed ICBMs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nothing’s stopping them from making the capsule.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mini monorail!!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The_Doctor posted:

Mini monorail!!

Should ask how North Haverbrook feels about their monorail before you get too excited.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Fixed your link, there was an extra 'l' in there. I spent like fifteen minutes trying it on different browsers and devices until I realised what the problem was.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

I use the end of the brick separator in the same manner.

yeah I do this too. I try my best to keep any metal away from my lego

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
If it's going to be a display set where the stickers really matter, I usually end up making a small bowl of soapy water, then dip the piece the sticker goes onto into it. I apply the sticker to the piece, push it around until it's properly aligned, then gently press it against a paper towel to remove excess water. Then after a few minutes of drying it's good to go.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Skios posted:

Fixed your link, there was an extra 'l' in there. I spent like fifteen minutes trying it on different browsers and devices until I realised what the problem was.

poo poo, thanks. sorry for wasting your time with an errant keystroke.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Skios posted:

If it's going to be a display set where the stickers really matter, I usually end up making a small bowl of soapy water, then dip the piece the sticker goes onto into it. I apply the sticker to the piece, push it around until it's properly aligned, then gently press it against a paper towel to remove excess water. Then after a few minutes of drying it's good to go.

i was about to ask if that ruins the adhesion but i guess the sticky material is oil soluble (or whatever) and not technically water soluble. i dont know if that's actually true but if it is, that's galaxy brained tech right there

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've regularly heard thats the pro-est technique - other people suggest spraying a little bit of window cleaner on the back of the sticker for the same effect. Never been arsed to do it myself, I just put the stickers on right first time :smuggo: (no don't look too closely at my Isengard or UCS slave 1)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Borsche69 posted:

i was about to ask if that ruins the adhesion but i guess the sticky material is oil soluble (or whatever) and not technically water soluble. i dont know if that's actually true but if it is, that's galaxy brained tech right there

there's techniques for taking misaligned stickers, removing them, and then reapplying. so yeah there's some wizardry at work

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I paid to build the bricks not decorate them

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Dogen posted:

The unsecured stud and tile stack near the exhaust on the M4 still haunts my dreams

oh the silver round bit pushed in under the "handle" bit? I was concerned but that gets effectively locked in place by being surrounded by other pieces so I could sort of overlook it. But the flat 1*1 at the end of the central fin physically hurts me to look at.

feel my pain

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SadisTech posted:

oh the silver round bit pushed in under the "handle" bit? I was concerned but that gets effectively locked in place by being surrounded by other pieces so I could sort of overlook it. But the flat 1*1 at the end of the central fin physically hurts me to look at.

feel my pain

oh christ this reminds me that, quick advice to anyone building the tantive iv, please actually follow the instructions at this step:

i was stupid and applied the stickers before putting the pieces together (i consider it to be easier) and now they're at a slight downturned angle. its probably only noticeable to me, but also im the only one that matters

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oops.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're really careful with a razor blade or a knife, you can get the stickers off and redo them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
yeah, especially if they are freshly stuck. All you really need to do is get an edge up and you should be good from there.

For long time stuck pieces, you can do the same but it's good to warm them up first. Just get something you can heat up a bit but not too hot and press against the sticker.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Worked on the Republic Cruiser tonight, the interior was pretty bland and to much underplate/technic showing

And wanted more of a Star Destroyer bridge with a walkway and pits

It’s still clunky and I’m gonna play around with it more but what I got so far

Filling in a lot of those gaps was a bitch and took a bunch of ideas that just didn’t work, so a few tear down/rebuilds from scratch

Want a bit more contrast in the upper filler space, logic was “light grey for the armor, darker grey for sub-structures” plus I’m out of dark red and I usually only build with what I got in my tub

She’s coming along but man I committed a lot of pieces to her no one will ever see

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 14, 2024

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

a sexual elk posted:

She’s coming along but man I committed a lot of pieces to her no one will ever see

drat, that color scheme is phenomenal and your bridge mods are in a whole different dimension compared to the stock model. The full exterior shot seriously elevates it so much beyond the original Light Cruiser set.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can't imagine this passing review but I'd love to build it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

That librarian's orangutan face is pretty amazing.