Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bugblatter posted:

Speculation that Chani will be leading the fremen who appose Paul in Denis' Messiah seems on point.

It makes her a lot more interesting than just being victim to Irulan's birth control for a whole book.

I mean there's two paths there.

1. Infantilize her and the Fremen. It was the evil white child that made us do all that genocide, he tricked us with cultural appropriation and overwhelming twink energy! We just want to stay in our caves and drink our own rear end water.

2. Acknowledge the truth that her way of life was dead the second the majority of her people saw a chance for change, and that she can never win. Not because of Paul, but because the majority of the Fremen actively want her to fail.

So she's either an idiot or a failure. I don't know that that is much of a step up from blandly content except for the whole "No kids" thing. Guess it gives her more to do. All destined for failure, but certainly more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

It is called the Zum Meeting.”

kull wahad!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Mulva posted:

1. Infantilize her and the Fremen. It was the evil white child that made us do all that genocide, he tricked us with cultural appropriation and overwhelming twink energy! We just want to stay in our caves and drink our own rear end water.

:confused:

The Fremen dream isn't "staying in our caves and drinking our own rear end water", it's being free from outside control and terra forming the planet to make it more hospitable. The latter hasn't gotten a ton of attention in the series so far but it's hardly been explicitly contradicted, and they could easily make it her stated goal to free her people from Paul's influence so they'll be free to focus on continuing work instead of pursuing a galactic war that she doesn't really care about and which the audience has already been primed to see as bad.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

:confused:

The Fremen dream isn't "staying in our caves and drinking our own rear end water", it's being free from outside control and terra forming the planet to make it more hospitable. The latter hasn't gotten a ton of attention in the series so far

it's hinted at in 1 with kynes expo dumping about the ecological station + confirming she's fremen, plus the "old dream" referenced by the palm waterer, but it's made text in 2 with stilgar telling jessica the sietch water well being used to eventually transform the planet and paul using foresight of the "green paradise" to rally the fremen under him

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

they could easily make it her stated goal to free her people from Paul's influence so they'll be free to focus on continuing work instead of pursuing a galactic war that she doesn't really care about and which the audience has already been primed to see as bad.

His influence of giving them everything they ever wanted for the first time in ten thousand years?

Good luck to her selling that one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If they respect worms why would they want to terraform the planet to something uninhabitable for worms

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Because living in a desert drinking piss sucks

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Steve Yun posted:

If they respect worms why would they want to terraform the planet to something uninhabitable for worms

At least in the book, the idea always was to maintain a large portion of deep desert specifically for the worms, but to make much of the north into an easily habitable terrain.

The actual text:
[quote="Frank Herbert"]
‘We will trap the dunes beneath grass plantings,’ Stilgar said, his voice growing stonger. ‘We will tie the water into the soil with trees and undergrowth.’

‘Bi-lal kaifa,’ intoned the troop.

‘Each year the polar ice retreats,’ Stilgar said.

‘Bi-lal kaifa,’ they chanted.

‘We will make a homeworld of Arrakis – with melting lenses at the poles, with lakes in the temperate zones, and only the deep desert for the maker and his spice.’

‘Bi-lal kaifa.’

‘And no man ever again shall want for water. It shall be his for dipping from well or pond or lake or canal. It shall run down through the qanats to feed our plants. It shall be there for any man to take. It shall be his for holding out his hand.’

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 13, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mulva posted:

So she's either an idiot or a failure. I don't know that that is much of a step up from blandly content except for the whole "No kids" thing.

Everyone in Dune is one of those two. Being a character with agency who makes decisions that have consequences is a step up from being not that.

Support women's wrongs, imo.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Steve Yun posted:

“And what of Arrakis?” the Emperor asked. “Another garden world full of gentle things?”

“The Fremen have the word of Muad‘Dib,” Paul said. “There will be flowing water here open to the sky and green oases rich with good things. But we have the spice to think of, too. Thus, there will always be desert on Arrakis ... and fierce winds, and trials to toughen a man. We Fremen have a saying: ‘God created Arrakis to train the faithful.” One cannot go against the word of God.”

(this was the plan of Pardot and Liet Kynes and the Fremen to begin with. but then one day a Hero came and everything started moving at an accelerated pace. there was a Shortening of the Way, with ill effects for much of humanity.)

edit: i see i have been beaten to the point

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's why Jacurutu was destroyed and its people scattered. Iduali means "pisspig"

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Mulva posted:

His influence of giving them everything they ever wanted for the first time in ten thousand years?
His influence of entangling them in a global crusade that goes far beyond (and eventually counteracts) their goal of becoming free. The books are explicitly about the Fremen being used as a tool in a galactic power struggle and having their culture destroyed as a result. They've already set up Chani as the character who best recognizes that this is exactly what's happening at the end of Part 2.

quote:

Good luck to her selling that one.
As we know, characters in movies never have goals that seem difficult or impossible to achieve. Furthermore,

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

furthermore, the terraforming project was itself the product of manipulation by outsiders, specifically kynes' father, and a very recent cultural development.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Halloween Jack posted:

That's why Jacurutu was destroyed and its people scattered. Iduali means "pisspig"

Should'na hosed with Gurney Halleck, bi lal kaifa.

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

Admiral Bosch posted:

“And what of Arrakis?” the Emperor asked. “Another garden world full of gentle things?”

“The Fremen have the word of Muad‘Dib,” Paul said. “There will be flowing water here open to the sky and green oases rich with good things. But we have the spice to think of, too. Thus, there will always be desert on Arrakis ... and fierce winds, and trials to toughen a man. We Fremen have a saying: ‘God created Arrakis to train the faithful.” One cannot go against the word of God.”

(this was the plan of Pardot and Liet Kynes and the Fremen to begin with. but then one day a Hero came and everything started moving at an accelerated pace. there was a Shortening of the Way, with ill effects for much of humanity.)

edit: i see i have been beaten to the point

Why don't they just, like, move somewhere else? Just go live on Caladan or whatever. I mean, it's a big universe. There's really no need for anyone to live on Arrakis except spice miners.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Bro why don't you just, like, move to another planet?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I presume you're doing a bit but it is very funny to see Jessica get fully onboard with manipulating the fremen and forcing Paul to fulfill this prophecy to protect herself/her son/her unborn daughter when you know what she does in book 2fucks off to Caladan, abandons the fremen, doesn't allow the jihad to set foot on the Atreides homeworld

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

His influence of entangling them in a global crusade that goes far beyond (and eventually counteracts) their goal of becoming free.

They are the single most important planet in the empire. There is no "beyond" Dune. It's fate is the fate of humanity. They fight everyone or they aren't free, period. Paul there, no Paul there. Irrelevant.

quote:

The books are explicitly about the Fremen being used as a tool in a galactic power struggle and having their culture destroyed as a result.

The books are clear that the Fremen have wants out of the Jihad. Titles, land, wealth. Paul has to provide those things, or they won't follow him. Their culture is being destroyed primarily because they want to destroy their culture. They want a better life. And they get it. Good for them!

quote:

As we know, characters in movies never have goals that seem difficult or impossible to achieve. Furthermore,

Oh that's fine, it's just that when you compare and contrast character states "Boring" to "Stupid" isn't a great jump.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Illmade posted:

Why don't they just, like, move somewhere else? Just go live on Caladan or whatever. I mean, it's a big universe. There's really no need for anyone to live on Arrakis except spice miners.

Their history involves a lot of being chased or pogromed out of other places before they finally settled on Arrakis. Plus at this point, the only way for them to move is with the aid of someone else with spaceships, and the main groups who can afford or command that either don't give a poo poo or have an interest in keeping them stuck there. The Guild extorts a ton of extra spice out of them in exchange for various favors, they're an entire society of spice miners there as far as the Guild is concerned.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Bro why don't you just, like, move to another planet?

Arrakis is the only one with free public transportation

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Mulva posted:

The books are clear that the Fremen have wants out of the Jihad. Titles, land, wealth. Paul has to provide those things, or they won't follow him. Their culture is being destroyed primarily because they want to destroy their culture. They want a better life. And they get it. Good for them!

And by the end it's presented as a cultural tragedy. The movies are introducing those themes slightly earlier and less ambiguously than the books. Thus Chani speaking up against Paul and the introduction of internal divides among the Fremen.

My point is that they're pretty clearly setting up a conflict between Paul and Chani over the soul of the Fremen, litigating the outcome of what actually happens in the books over a much greater span of time.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Illmade posted:

telling exploited people to "just move somewhere else" smgdh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kalel posted:

100 unironically, dv is the closest anyone's come to reaching stanley kubrick's level, down to the same exact criticisms about grand themes yielding inert characters. except he seems to be a pleasant guy and not a complete rear end in a top hat

I guess Shelly Duval being yelled at for 10 hours being replaced by Denis yelling at a cgi image of a spider is an improvement

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mulva posted:

2. Acknowledge the truth that her way of life was dead the second the majority of her people saw a chance for change, and that she can never win. Not because of Paul, but because the majority of the Fremen actively want her to fail.

So she's either an idiot or a failure. I don't know that that is much of a step up from blandly content except for the whole "No kids" thing. Guess it gives her more to do. All destined for failure, but certainly more.

Why are you making being flawed and struggling with the inconsistencies of one's viewpoints a bad thing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

And by the end it's presented as a cultural tragedy.

Almost as bad as the tens of billions of people they killed when you think about it.

Shageletic posted:

Why are you making being flawed and struggling with the inconsistencies of one's viewpoints a bad thing.

Oh it can be. Just not here.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

idk if Chani becomes truly antagonistic to Paul, that's a pretty permanent divergence from the plot. The events of Children / Leto II are pretty much gone (that's a bad thing!) but it gives a lot of wriggle room to make a movie in the Messiah chronology that could appeal to an audience (good thing?).

It seems like Dennis is a fanboy of the series so I doubt if he's going to go full Brian Herbert and just make a third movie written by himself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mulva posted:

Oh it can be. Just not here.

why not?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Time, and the inability of the movies to have enough of it.

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
Minor thing that I didn't quite get: when the Fremen atrack the Harkonnen harvester, they eventually blow it up with a lasgun. Why didn't they do that immediately? Why the rocket launcher?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think they wanted to take out the ornithopters before revealing their lasgun firing positions

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I seem to recall that scene being immediately followed by a scene where they blow up a harvester while the choppers are still in the air.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ornithopters were shielded. Blasting a shield with a laser can cause a reaction that is equal to a nuclear weapon going off. Gotta take them out first if you don't want to kill everyone around. Same reason everyone's always using swords.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The ornithopters were shielded. Blasting a shield with a laser can cause a reaction that is equal to a nuclear weapon going off. Gotta take them out first if you don't want to kill everyone around. Same reason everyone's always using swords.

Ya I think this is pretty much it. Anything on the ground with a shield is immediate worm bait, but the thopter has has one. Once that's gone, it's open season with a laser.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Scags McDouglas posted:

It seems like Dennis is a fanboy of the series so I doubt if he's going to go full Brian Herbert and just make a third movie written by himself.

I think he should rewrite all of the (fake, not real) Brian/Kevin novels. it would be invariably better

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MrMojok posted:

I think they wanted to take out the ornithopters before revealing their lasgun firing positions

Gaius Marius posted:

it's cool that both of these are valid interpretations of the tactical decisions on screen imo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kalel posted:

I think he should rewrite all of the (fake, not real) Brian/Kevin novels. it would be invariably better

Listen, bro, I have some fantastic news about Chatgpt,

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

disposablewords posted:

Their history involves a lot of being chased or pogromed out of other places before they finally settled on Arrakis. Plus at this point, the only way for them to move is with the aid of someone else with spaceships, and the main groups who can afford or command that either don't give a poo poo or have an interest in keeping them stuck there. The Guild extorts a ton of extra spice out of them in exchange for various favors, they're an entire society of spice miners there as far as the Guild is concerned.

They’re also all irretrievably addicted to the spice, to the point where if they went offworld the amount of spice they would need simply to survive would bankrupt most noble households. Outside of Arrakis, the blue on blue eyes are only seen on people with insanely depraved spice addictions like Piter.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I mean he theoretically CAN'T screw us out of this in MESSIAH unless he takes some incredible liberties with the source material but not seeing a heighliner once in Part 2 was a bummer. I wanna see that freaky navigator, baby.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

MaoistBanker posted:

but not seeing a heighliner once in Part 2 was a bummer. I wanna see that freaky navigator, baby.

I posted:

Also this wasn't in the first book much but I wouldn't have complained to see a guild navigator or two and more detail of the space folding.

We are bros now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kalel posted:

Dap to Dennis if this whole thing was a setup to jump the 3rd film in to the later novels with a big (Later on) and it's an epic movie focused on space jews and magic pussy