Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Meowywitch posted:

I like this arc a lot. I wouldn't call it the worst like a lot of people do but I also think none of one piece (so far, at least) has been bad

I even like Davy Back

Honestly, I was surprised to learn that anyone dislikes Davy Back.

Like, there are apparently One Piece fans only in it for the fights? They don't like all the silliness and whimsy? Are we reading the same manga???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Punk Hazard is such a bad arc that its badness bleeds over into the arc before it and the arc after it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PuttyKnife posted:

The worst arc is Whole Cake and it isn’t even close. The only thing that saves it is just how horrific Big Mom is and Bege who is a dude on vacation in One Piece from Jojos.
I only see this take from single-issue Zoro voters.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Meme Emulator posted:

The worst arc is like syrup village or something, but nowadays everyone considers east blue to be one big ol megaarc so no one even really thinks to say it anymore

The plot of it is weak but even Syrup Village has some fairly good jokes in it. Luffy running the wrong way because north = cold, basically everything with Django, Nami kicking Zoro down the cliff and then accidentally spilling caltrops behind her and Usopp.

Also this might just be a me thing but I think the little detail of how Kuro pushes up his glasses because of his weird swords is the thing that stuck with me from the horrible 4Kidz anime and got me to try the manga as a teenager. It really sets the bar early for how good at Oda is at coming up with a weird character quirk and capitalizing on it a bit later.

Super early Usopp was not nearly as insufferable as I remembered him either. He lies to his kids in the crew to keep them away from the fight and while yes, he is a coward, he still has enough resolve to try to make a last stand against a full ship of pirates. His line about how he's going to make his lie true and it will be another ordinary day for his village after all is great.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Begemot posted:

Like, there are apparently One Piece fans only in it for the fights? They don't like all the silliness and whimsy? Are we reading the same manga???

I don't like Luffy making Chopper cry even if it works out in the end. It felt really mean.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like everything about Syrup Village except the fights, which to me felt like they really dragged on

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I have been reading terrible takes for months and wanted to join in with the worst possible take. Though, I think you all could do far worse.

Whole Cake was where I got ultra tired during my marathon of one piece. I’ve actually been thinking of going back to it so I could give it a fair shake.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Begemot posted:

Have you seen the people reimagining Gear 5 as some edge lord haki thing lol

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I haven't and I want to see it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

RuBisCO posted:

Have you seen the people reimagining Gear 5 as some edge lord haki thing lol

The most edge lord moron in one piece is Pigeon guy though there are very dark things in the world. Why on earth would a god devoted to frivolity be edgy ever?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ragnarokette posted:

Also this might just be a me thing but I think the little detail of how Kuro pushes up his glasses because of his weird swords is the thing that stuck with me from the horrible 4Kidz anime and got me to try the manga as a teenager. It really sets the bar early for how good at Oda is at coming up with a weird character quirk and capitalizing on it a bit later.

Kuro was far from the most memorable or interesting villain, but I'll always remember the way he pushes up his glasses, as well as how those glasses act as visual storytelling to represent how little he fits the role he's been playing as a mild-mannered butler. As shallow as the character was, Oda still showed a lot of his strength as a character designer and storyteller with him. He's also kind of the prototype for bigger and badder villains like Crocodile and Doflamingo, the manipulators who slither their way into having power over people and take their freedom from them for their own selfish reasons while propping themselves up as responsible rulers (or in Kuro's case, caretakers). He might just be the first appearance of a thematic through-line that could run all the way to Imu and the Gorosei.

Neat, huh?

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Well Manicured Man posted:

Kuro was far from the most memorable or interesting villain, but I'll always remember the way he pushes up his glasses, as well as how those glasses act as visual storytelling to represent how little he fits the role he's been playing as a mild-mannered butler. As shallow as the character was, Oda still showed a lot of his strength as a character designer and storyteller with him. He's also kind of the prototype for bigger and badder villains like Crocodile and Doflamingo, the manipulators who slither their way into having power over people and take their freedom from them for their own selfish reasons while propping themselves up as responsible rulers (or in Kuro's case, caretakers). He might just be the first appearance of a thematic through-line that could run all the way to Imu and the Gorosei.

Neat, huh?

also he had poop in his suit so I can never forget him

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Okay I misrembered it was people guessing at Gear 5

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ragnarokette posted:

I remember the thing that made me first fall for one piece was seeing luffy punch thru krieg's shield without giving a poo poo about the spikes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the Davy Back fight is neat because it’s basically a dress rehearsal for water 7 where the threat of losing a crew member becomes very serious

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

NachtSieger posted:

I haven't and I want to see it.

Enjoy!
https://www.google.com/search?q=gear+5+concept+fan+art&udm=2

The Sun Wokung one is pretty cool tho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Neat, huh?

Kuro also represents a complete lack of ambition compared to Luffy. his whole plan is to give up pirating and live a cozy life with Kaya’s inheritance while killing off anyone who could potentially bug him about his past.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

People dislike Davey Back because the anime padded it with filler matches that weren't good. It was before the pacing and care fell through the floor so most people either watched the anime primarily or concurrently and mixed the two in their brains.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Would Luffy even go Gear 6, or would he transition to Variable Transmission?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Tcb save this thread please...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reverse Gear, and he resets the world back to before the Void Century

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I remember the thing that made me first fall for one piece was seeing luffy punch thru krieg's shield without giving a poo poo about the spikes

for me it was luffy stabbing himself in the face in chapter 1

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

It was Zoro eating the riceball for me. Was also a good scene in the live action.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think its interesting that even during the leadup to gear 5 when it was apparent with Who's Who that Luffy's fruit was special/had a different name, and we also got Nika name dropped in the same chapter, people were still guessing stuff like this.

There was an unspoken rule that everyone in the fandom assumed that all zoan devil fruits were based on animals or myths that exist in *our* world, so this made more sense than imaginging a "nika" devil fruit. Despite being the obvious answer not a lot of people hedged their bets on it because it was unprecedented.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

you all will never convince me Kurina wasnt a misogynist honor killing

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This is what 4Kids did, just with them permanently crippling her rather than killing her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

weird belief

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

if it were then it would be portrayed, like all of the other tragic backstories

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Being dedicated to the idea that One Piece is a lovely story is an odd take, but to each their own I suppose.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

scary ghost dog posted:

if it were then it would be portrayed, like all of the other tragic backstories

it was early on and Oda was still perfecting the formula

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

she fell and broke her neck, which is an extremely common cause of death

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

it was early on and Oda was still perfecting the formula

it was early on and Oda hadn’t established that children can survive an atom bomb being dropped directly on their head yet

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Neat, huh?

My problem with Kuro is that he's not as smart as Oda intended him to be. The SBS claims he's the second-most-intelligent character introduced in One Piece as of Volume 8 (with Beckmann being the smartest), and I just don't buy it. Krieg was the smart one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

Krieg was the smart one.

krieg was extremely dumb

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

he's kuro of a thousand plans, but they dont have to be good plans

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

No break next week

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the problem with being a man of a thousand plans is that all plans dissolve instantly on contact with monkey d luffy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

No break next week

https://streamable.com/vllcsh

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
this is why it's dangerous for us to not have chapter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Augus posted:

krieg was extremely dumb

Krieg fights using technology and underhanded tactics (and managed to get a draw against Luffy by doing so; Luffy would have drowned afterwards if Sanji hadn't fished him out). Kuro fights by running around really fast, swinging his blades wildly, and hoping he hits his opponent.