Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's armor stupid.

he is voiced by a black man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

this lady was scientifically designed to generate clicks

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It’s like a reverse khive account

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is the in universe person of darth vader or the film character of darth vader as portrayed by several actors taking part in a debate?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he can say it if he wants to

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
super mecha godzilla no!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Darth Vader is literally a former and arguably current slave
He also is the champion of an empire which enslaves billion of alien and uses forced prison labor to build its war machine. You can be a past victim and a current abuser, it's horribly common.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Literally like dropping an atomic bomb on Chicago just to get rid of the Outfit

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Toplowtech posted:

Can't wait for the Abe Lincoln and Daneyris Targearyan versus Darth Vader and Isaac Gascoyne debates on slavery.

we could do this right now with ai

it'd be awful but on the other hand it might put some of these assholes out of a job

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jose posted:

Got into a bit of a hole reading Wikipedia pages and lol at l arning the new York times in 1933 called the last emperor of china

still salty that the mystery of the second season of perry mason hinges on a conspiracy to sell illegal oil to japan because this was something american corporations couldnt do after the manchuria invasion since everyone agreed that japan was bad after that

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Darth Vader is a Slave (Mamluk)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mamluk Skywalker

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Theranos lady getting work again, I see.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genericnick posted:

Theranos lady getting work again, I see.

it sounds like she's frauding again

Does anyone know where the writer Patric Gagne went to school to receive a PhD in psychology/if she published any peer-reviewed articles in psychology?

old.reddit.com | 3 years ago posted:

I recently saw an article in the New York Times by an author named Patricia "Patric" Gagne who claimed to be a diagnosed sociopath, and who also claimed to have her PhD in Psychology (though she didn't specify what sort of psychology.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/style/modern-love-he-married-a-sociopath-me.html

This article caught my attention because in Clinical Psychology, we don't really use the term "sociopath," and I would expect someone with a PhD in the field to use the DSM name of the diagnosis - such as Antisocial Personality Disorder or whatever the clinician diagnosed her with. Because this didn't sit right with me, I tried to research this author to find out her credentials. All I could find was a sparse website that didn't even include a CV or the name of the school awarding her PhD, and a twitter page that didn't seem to be related to psychology in any way.

Also, as someone planning to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology, I was under the impression that you would need to publish several peer-reviewed articles to receive a PhD. However, I cannot find any evidence that this person has been published in any peer-reviewed journals, and I cannot even find where she supposedly received her PhD from.

Does anyone know if she has published any papers that I could read? I am concerned about the idea that the NYTimes would not check her credentials and allow her to publish without fact-checking her story. Generally, the academics I've seen writing for large publications like NYT would provide more information about the research they have been involved in.

quote:

I graduated with my doctorate recently in clinical psychology and I genuinely find everything about this person sketchy. You can't find her name anywhere at all except these blog posts or whatever. And she super conveniently provides nothing in her website or blogs (that I've found so far) that could identify her (school? Internship or postdoc site? A single publication? Past jobs? Seriously what does this person do with her life???). It's very suspicious. Either it's all BS or just a pretty slipshod job

quote:

Gagne has posted her CV on her website and other than under grad at UCLA, both her graduate level degree were not granted at APA orregional accredited institutions. The M.A was through a non WASC accredited and now defunct California based school that merged with Chicago School of Professional Psychology, which eventually granted their PhD to her https://www.thechicagoschool.edu/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toplowtech posted:

He also is the champion of an empire which enslaves billion of alien and uses forced prison labor to build its war machine. You can be a past victim and a current abuser, it's horribly common.

I'm not joking that literally every depiction of Sith apprenticeship is extremely blatantly the cycle of abuse.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not joking that literally every depiction of Sith apprenticeship is extremely blatantly the cycle of abuse.

The source of all evil.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

The source of all evil.

apprenticeship - which comes with a fixed bedtime.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what is this even in response to? who's out there hounding clinically diagnosed sociopaths?

is this a landlord thing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rubellavator posted:

what is this even in response to? who's out there hounding clinically diagnosed sociopaths?

It's in response to the author having a book to sell.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Love that a few random redditors have higher editorial standards than the NYT.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That's from 3 years ago too lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

is this a landlord thing

Yes

Wait do you mean landlords don't want sociopaths or that they are sociopaths

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wsj is probably a pretty good audience for sociopath content

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hmmm sounds like something a sociopath would do

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What kind of fail sociopath has to both admit to being one and complain they've got it too hard in this day and age when they can get published in the new york times

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i was completely unsurprised that a person with severe mental illness went into psychology academia

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What kind of fail sociopath has to both admit to being one and complain they've got it too hard in this day and age when they can get published in the new york times

She's releasing a memoir and this is all PR for it.

e:

I'm not joking.

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Mar 16, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was completely unsurprised that a person with severe mental illness went into psychology academia

But she didn't. She got a Masters from an unaccredited school.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

comically sociopathic plot to fake credentials as a brain doctor to try and convince people that sociopaths are alright folks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Sharps posted:

comically sociopathic plot to fake credentials as a brain doctor to try and convince people that sociopaths are alright folks

I don't have any citations but I think it's very common for people with sociopathic/antisocial tendencies to overestimate themselves, think they're evil geniuses etc. capitalism encourages this too, needless to say.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
British journalism

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1768711934080061741?t=iMgoxrYVfYJysUOewc0EHw&s=19
https://twitter.com/JayMotty/status/1768765731821310308?t=ILQbNkQYCThRlz2z6JAU9g&s=19

Jose has issued a correction as of 10:40 on Mar 16, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But she didn't. She got a Masters from an unaccredited school.

So psychology academia?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should make a social sciences version of every doctor like a psycologist is for psychiatrist. i want to see the heart surgeon version.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

yeah even our yank news media struggles to reach the highs the brits can soar to sometimes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

they should make a social sciences version of every doctor like a psycologist is for psychiatrist. i want to see the heart surgeon version.

lol

e: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiac_psychology

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Doing an ethnography on this CT scan of your rear end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

getting a corporate gambling job to make jackpots more intense so you die from shock induced heart attack before payout

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

We already have chiropractors and naturopaths though.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

(some)psychologists do stuff
modern psychology is mostly focused on fixing problems caused by capitalism without having to remove capitalism, but it's not entirely made-up alt medicine like homeopathics
basically psychiatrists are to individual issues as psychologists are to societal
/systemic ones, they're mainly working on different stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they are working mostly on phone gambling afaict