Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ah poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I get the instinct to just enjoy an awesome product and stop bringing up ratings / ticket sale / growth but a bigger part of me doesn't get how some.peoole have a complete and total aversion to wanting the thing they love to be loved by as many people as possible so it can continue to grow and be more awesome.

When every single Dynamite seems to lose 250,000 people and crowds are dwindling, relying on hardcore loyal fans geeking out over every Dream Match Tony puts together isn't a sustainable business model for AEW.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fawning deference posted:

I get the instinct to just enjoy an awesome product and stop bringing up ratings / ticket sale / growth but a bigger part of me doesn't get how some.peoole have a complete and total aversion to wanting the thing they love to be loved by as many people as possible so it can continue to grow and be more awesome.

When every single Dynamite seems to lose 250,000 people and crowds are dwindling, relying on hardcore loyal fans geeking out over every Dream Match Tony puts together isn't a sustainable business model for AEW.

It’s a good thing we know exactly what everything costs and exactly how much they’re taking in revenues to be able to make sustainability assessments, imo

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Why do I give a gently caress what other people watch?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

crowds are slowly picking up from the nadir of 2023 and the ratings follow a regular wrestling show's rating patterns. it'd be cool if they improved faster but if you take into account the # of cable homes they're holding steady if not improving. ticket sales is the only metric that they are visibly below average (ppvs as an exception, of course) and when the other company is as white hot as it is it's going to be tough to see any massive positive changes immediately

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oh ill admit my eyes glazed over before i even got to 'sustainable business model'. shad khan is one of the richest people in the world. there's your sustainability.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Why do I give a gently caress what other people watch?

i like when the crowds are fuller because it makes for a more entertaining experience as a whole on my end. a great match is a great match, and boy do i enjoy a great match, but with a big hot juicy crowd it "takes it up a notch" to quote a master chef, and i don't mean TK

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I’m so mad that Tony Khan is giving me a badass match I want to see. If only he would have done it a week later!!!! Agghhhh

there is nothing wrong with saying Tony should promote matches more in advance. That has typically increased interest in shows and helped it become more popular.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Weird way to frame it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Glad all the WWE freaks hate the product and don't watch. The best movie ever made is not the one that sold the most.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

yea ok posted:

i like when the crowds are fuller because it makes for a more entertaining experience as a whole on my end. a great match is a great match, and boy do i enjoy a great match, but with a big hot juicy crowd it "takes it up a notch" to quote a master chef, and i don't mean TK

I mean I’ve heard smaller crowds be insanely loud and giant crowds be insanely quiet.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

once again, some people don't understand exactly how much a billion dollars is

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

"Maybe for them to succeed long term and live they might to do a cou-"

"Shut up! Just enjoy wrestling"

Fraglie mind, fragile ego

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

They've added chants to all the entrance songs so you still get this feeling

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The_Rob posted:

I mean I’ve heard smaller crowds be insanely loud and giant crowds be insanely quiet.

me too there are obviously exceptions to everything

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i turn on the tv every wednesday and have a great time for two hours, and three or four times a year i go in a big cavernous building and do it with a bunch of other wrestling fans

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I watched Jericho vs. Andretti the other day and that crowd was so loving insanely loud. And that's one of the hypest moments in Dynamite history so maybe that's a little unfair but the crowd energy they have now just isn't what they used to have and that used to be one of the most fun parts of Dynamite.

Trying to spin that into some indictment of their business is goofy as gently caress though because he's about to sign a billion dollar check from Warner Bros. Sustain these!!!!!!! *grabs junk*

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

STING 64 posted:

i turn on the tv every wednesday and have a great time for two hours, and three or four times a year i go in a big cavernous building and do it with a bunch of other wrestling fans

Exactly.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

I watched Jericho vs. Andretti the other day and that crowd was so loving insanely loud. And that's one of the hypest moments in Dynamite history so maybe that's a little unfair but the crowd energy they have now just isn't what they used to have and that used to be one of the most fun parts of Dynamite.

Trying to spin that into some indictment of their business is goofy as gently caress though because he's about to sign a billion dollar check from Warner Bros. Sustain these!!!!!!! *grabs junk*

The real answer is to go back to smaller arenas because 5000ish in an arena sized to that looks and sounds better than 9000 in a building designed for 20000.

Or pipe in noise so you're not beholden to the whims of stadium acoustics and wrestling fans.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Isn't there the problem that like, venues are probably booked months in advance and you can't just call them up the week of and go "NVM we changed our mind" without paying massive fines?

Also there's basically a minimum venue size they can do given all the equipment/staff/etc needed for a live production that size?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah they went bigger venues because I believe he got a discount and it was easier on the equipment

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Glad all the WWE freaks hate the product and don't watch. The best movie ever made is not the one that sold the most.

Wrong, Avatar is in act the best movie ever made

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Wrong, Avatar is in act the best movie ever made

Crazy to say that Avengers: Endgame is the second best but by your logic it's just true. You believe that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also everyone is crazy hyped during that match and it looks cooler because the arena is packed to the ceiling. Is the ceiling not very high? Yeah but still looks cooler than a stadium with the entire upper decks empty even if the crowd is a few thousand more.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Crazy to say that Avengers: Endgame is the second best but by your logic it's just true. You believe that.

It’s not as good as the Thanos one that came before it but it’s fine.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

PWG had some insanely hot crowds because it was 120 degrees inside the building, everyone was losing their minds standing so close to the ring that even the back rows were at risk of getting wheel kicked by Chuck Taylor. Even if there's more total people at an AEW show it's hard to get that much energy in a crowd

they should start running entire shows in the hallways of the arena like when they have those big arena brawl matches it's always cool to see 200 people(the maximum attendance at a 2024 AEW show) crowding around the wrestlers while they're squirting mustard at each other.

CHaKKaWaKka fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 16, 2024

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I’ll never enjoy wrestling again the way I did watching 2014 PWG shows on psp.tv

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NienNunb posted:

I’ll never enjoy wrestling again the way I did watching 2014 PWG shows live at the american legion

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Good to know you’ve also been in the same room as Oatgan at some point

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

thinking back on it, did we even bother talking about ratings for Lucha Underground? I remember posting about it in the gdt and just loving it for the first two seasons but I never remember ratings coming up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NienNunb posted:

Good to know you’ve also been in the same room as Oatgan at some point

a few times

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shard posted:

thinking back on it, did we even bother talking about ratings for Lucha Underground? I remember posting about it in the gdt and just loving it for the first two seasons but I never remember ratings coming up.

i think it didnt have a regular timeslot which didnt help and the network it was on was so small it wasnt tracked initially

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

they should start running entire shows in the hallways of the arena like when they have those big arena brawl matches it's always cool to see 200 people(the maximum attendance at a 2024 AEW show) crowding around the wrestlers while they're squirting mustard at each other.

aew should book the big buildings and then just run in the parking lots

every fan will have a front row seat and they'll be able to save tons of money

i bet papa shao kahn has a house, tiny should run out of the backyard like it's a big budget tournament of death

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

All of his dad's cars lighting the ring with the headlights

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh my god that tag tournament fuckin' sucks.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

i think its neat

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

Setting up ftr bucks in the most boring and predictable way possible

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Putting the belts back on Dax and Cash will go a long way in healing this company

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was promised bracket madness! Where's the fuckin' madness?! There's like 9 fuckin' matches in this thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It feels to me like they're gonna swerve away from FTR/Bucks. It's pretty underwhelming though.