Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Herbert put out an in-universe timeline that gives a rough idea. Dune is 10,000 years into the age of the spacing guild, which in itself is 20,000 years from Rome by the in-universe historian’s reconning. The timeline also presents Rome and Washington DC as being two capitols of the same Empire that exists in Dune and doesn’t seem to comprehend that humanity was a single planet species at the time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's really interesting to see how Herbert writes how much the society in the future mis remembers history.

https://twitter.com/JohnWakefieId/status/1767760292568584468

https://twitter.com/Lib_Development/status/1768074395820380458

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 16, 2024

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I like the idea that 30,000 years in the future with lots of confusion about the 20th century, the UK is best remembered by the name of a relatively short-lived, relatively insignificant royal family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I like the idea that 30,000 years in the future with lots of confusion about the 20th century, the UK is best remembered by the name of a relatively short-lived, relatively insignificant royal family.

Real life history has been weirder.

And as the comments put it, the real point there is how the society and culture views the past through its own terminology, and the difficulties of understanding scale. Dune is heavily based on a historical nonfiction book after all, Herbert was quite familiar with it, and it's clearly deliberate how 20th century history is nearly impossible for them to understand because of the sheer scale difference, much like how ancient history is difficult for us to understand because of the differences in scale, context and the way people thought about things, even if they're the same homo sapiens, because their context is completely different.

And the people of the future also clearly have it worse because pretty much any form of government beyond dynastic feudalism is foreign to them, and probably violently suppressed by said dynastic feudalists. When studying what they have of ancient history, they look for whatever looks like the ruling house of the time because that's what government looks like to them. As well as said, Einstein is called a 'raw mentat' because they have no concept of scientific research and development any more. And even if they know intellectually that humanity is only on Earth at that time, they don't really comprehend what that means, that there's no interstellar space travel. (Of course, like a lot of sci-fi I think the implicit assumption is that humanity begins founding space colonies in the latter half of the 20th century at the earliest)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Sci fi authors have a knack for getting things incredibly wrong. Space colonies by 1999 and communication by fax, sort of thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any old fashioned tech that sticks around in the future can be explained away by space hipsters

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’ve spoken with a few younger people who use iPod classics because it’s a more “authentic” way to listen to music…

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Real life history has been weirder.

And as the comments put it, the real point there is how the society and culture views the past through its own terminology, and the difficulties of understanding scale. Dune is heavily based on a historical nonfiction book after all, Herbert was quite familiar with it, and it's clearly deliberate how 20th century history is nearly impossible for them to understand because of the sheer scale difference, much like how ancient history is difficult for us to understand because of the differences in scale, context and the way people thought about things, even if they're the same homo sapiens, because their context is completely different.

And the people of the future also clearly have it worse because pretty much any form of government beyond dynastic feudalism is foreign to them, and probably violently suppressed by said dynastic feudalists. When studying what they have of ancient history, they look for whatever looks like the ruling house of the time because that's what government looks like to them. As well as said, Einstein is called a 'raw mentat' because they have no concept of scientific research and development any more. And even if they know intellectually that humanity is only on Earth at that time, they don't really comprehend what that means, that there's no interstellar space travel. (Of course, like a lot of sci-fi I think the implicit assumption is that humanity begins founding space colonies in the latter half of the 20th century at the earliest)

I understand this, I just don't think "Windsor" would be the metonym to survive. It stands out from the rest.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bugblatter posted:

I’ve spoken with a few younger people who use iPod classics because it’s a more “authentic” way to listen to music…

This post gave me a very authentic headache.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Went and saw some more DUNC2 tonight in IMAX and lordy it still kicks rear end.

The shot towards the end of the multiple thumpers going off to summon the worms for the attack? That's what movies are for, baby.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
The bad history is very funny, but also very weird when presumably loads of Reverend Mothers could recall the exact facts through ancestral memory.

No wonder Leto II executes those historians.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Went and saw some more DUNC2 tonight in IMAX and lordy it still kicks rear end.

The shot towards the end of the multiple thumpers going off to summon the worms for the attack? That's what movies are for, baby.

Seeing it twice myself, I was struck by how well the use of a thumper would have gone over in an early trailer.

The first trailer I remember seeing was the one where they used the background track of Pink Floyd's Eclipse. But I think it would have been great to start out a teaser with just the thumper.

Darkness. The *thump* sound building up slowly, nothing else. Then closeup of sand, then tracking in on the thumper, moving up and down. Shots of the sand underneath shifting as Shai-Hulud comes in, and of course brief cuts to various action scenes from the flick.

I suppose if you really insist to have Floyd, then syncing the thumper shots up with Speak To Me would have worked better as backing, for this. Of course it ends on brief but impressive shots of Worms.

Sorry, I am high.

e: Also now I remember the use of Eclipse was the trailer for the first film, not the second.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 16, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MrMojok posted:

Seeing it twice myself, I was struck by how well the use of a thumper would have gone over in an early trailer.

The first trailer I remember seeing was the one where they used the background track of Pink Floyd's Eclipse. But I think it would have been great to start out a teaser with just the thumper.

Darkness. The *thump* sound building up slowly, nothing else. Then closeup of sand, then tracking in on the thumper, moving up and down. Shots of the sand underneath shifting as Shai-Hulud comes in, and of course brief cuts to various action scenes from the flick.

The ol’ Alien trailer treatment

Montage of seemingly unrelated but intense shots paired with a repeating sound that keeps amping up

It might be worth doing a fan trailer after the Blu-ray comes out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My dad called me and told me this movie was massively disappointing and didn’t stick to the books which he’s loved for years

He’s been texting me if I’ve seen it yet to talk about it

I’ve seen it. He’s wrong this movie kicks rear end who gives a gently caress about BOOKS bro lmao

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

The ol’ Alien trailer treatment

Montage of seemingly unrelated but intense shots paired with a repeating sound that keeps amping up

It might be worth doing a fan trailer after the Blu-ray comes out

Hell yeah. That original Alien trailer was insane, with that bizarre high-pitched effect juxtaposed with quick shots.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also way back in the thread someone was confused that people found Fayd hot.

Bro people were thristy over Pennywise, Venom and that giant resident evil lady. People love hosed up gross monsters

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is nobody in the story that is having a better time than Feyd, and it shows in every frame he appears in. It must have been a really fun role to play.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

My dad called me and told me this movie was massively disappointing and didn’t stick to the books which he’s loved for years

I’ve seen it. He’s wrong this movie kicks rear end who gives a gently caress about BOOKS bro lmao

tell your dad he's a loving nerd

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MrMojok posted:

There is nobody in the story that is having a better time than Feyd, and it shows in every frame he appears in. It must have been a really fun role to play.

Good point, he's kind of the Baron of this movie in that he seems to enjoy being ghastly.
also

kalel posted:

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Here's a random thought that I wanted to write down somewhere:

In fantasy, the sound design is pretty simple and familiar. You have sounds of horses and swords being taken out of scabbards, metal clinking and poo poo like that, familiar stuff. Even magic is often like, fireballs whooshing. A huge effort to do well of course, but you don't usually have to invent anything new.

In scifi though, you have to create sounds for things no one has ever heard before. How does a spaceship engine sound? It can't be just a car engine, that would be silly - it has to be something more futuristic and interesting, like put tigers roaring through a million filters or something.

I think Dune 1 and 2 do such an excellent job with this that the sound design is instantly iconic. Think about how well you can remember the sound of lasguns, a shield turning on or exploding, the ornithopters, the little thumper things. All the language and throat singing too is so memorable.

In comparison, there's like two hundred Marvel movies and I couldn't tell you a single thing from those that has a memorable sound attached despite them being filled with wacky scifi devices that should make some sort of a noise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kalel posted:

Oh I will.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

golden bubble posted:

It's really interesting to see how Herbert writes how much the society in the future mis remembers history.

https://twitter.com/JohnWakefieId/status/1767760292568584468

https://twitter.com/Lib_Development/status/1768074395820380458

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
re: future history

TURTLE SLUT posted:

Here's a random thought that I wanted to write down somewhere:

In fantasy, the sound design is pretty simple and familiar. You have sounds of horses and swords being taken out of scabbards, metal clinking and poo poo like that, familiar stuff. Even magic is often like, fireballs whooshing. A huge effort to do well of course, but you don't usually have to invent anything new.

In scifi though, you have to create sounds for things no one has ever heard before. How does a spaceship engine sound? It can't be just a car engine, that would be silly - it has to be something more futuristic and interesting, like put tigers roaring through a million filters or something.

I think Dune 1 and 2 do such an excellent job with this that the sound design is instantly iconic. Think about how well you can remember the sound of lasguns, a shield turning on or exploding, the ornithopters, the little thumper things. All the language and throat singing too is so memorable.

In comparison, there's like two hundred Marvel movies and I couldn't tell you a single thing from those that has a memorable sound attached despite them being filled with wacky scifi devices that should make some sort of a noise.

Dune guns sound like they hurt. Dune knives sound like they really hurt.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 16, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Future archeology always takes me back to one of my favorite books from when I was little, David Macaulay's Motel of the Mysteries, where a group of people in the far future excavate what they believe to be an ancient sacred burial chamber, which is just a dumpy motel room. It's pretty silly but as a kid I found it absolutely mind-bending to think that "now" could one day be as distant and abstract to people as the Ancient Egyptians are to us, and that all of the little things we take for granted could have their meanings totally erased by time:

I know the purpose of blockbuster movies is not to discomfort the audience, but I love that feeling of vertigo you get from sci-fi.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's pretty silly but as a kid I found it absolutely mind-bending to think that "now" could one day be as distant and abstract to people as the Ancient Egyptians are to us

When Julius Caesar saw the pyramids, they were already 2500 years old, 500 years older than Roman ruins are now :hist101:

A Talent for War by Jack McDevitt is another fun sci-fi archaeology novel. It's a much more optimistic and less alien view of the future so it's a pretty light read, and the whole plot hinges on uncovering the truth about events 200 years before the story takes place, which is the quite distant past for the characters in the book.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 16, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleopatra's time was closer to the Moon landing than the construction of the great pyramids. Humanity, Egypt especially is way older than most people can reckon with.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Illmade posted:

Why don't they just, like, move somewhere else? Just go live on Caladan or whatever. I mean, it's a big universe. There's really no need for anyone to live on Arrakis except spice miners.

gently caress you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Cleopatra's time was closer to the Moon landing than the construction of the great pyramids. Humanity, Egypt especially is way older than most people can reckon with.

Pfft Egypt. There's a neolithic passage burial tomb near my house that was built a thousand years before the Pyramids. And there was Roman coinage from the 4th century CE found there which suggest it was visited by Roman pilgrims for some reason. The world is indeed ancient and strange.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even in settings where history is relatively well preserved and available for people to actually look up if they want to, or experience via holodeck programs or past-life regression, it's also common for the popular idea of history to be inaccurate, blended together and romanticised, similar to how people tend to think of Victorian England, the Wild West, the Roman Empire as a bunch of pop culture setpieces mashed together and maybe vaguely understand different periods of it. The Fallout games occasionally have it, despite the setting not being particularly short of both historical documents and sentient beings who remember pre-war times, between robots, ghouls, brains in jars, and the occasional unfrozen cryogenics experiment.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Dune without ecology or economics is kind of Dune-Lite

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Dune without ecology or economics is kind of Dune-Lite

Also known as Star Wars

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shanty posted:

The bad history is very funny, but also very weird when presumably loads of Reverend Mothers could recall the exact facts through ancestral memory.

Between how that same fact means they don't need to write history books to begin with and their own general paranoia, the Mother's have presumably decided its just as well that everyone else stays ignorant.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scags McDouglas posted:

Oh poo poo we're talking about Dune 2000 now? I used to watch my buddy play like (fuuuuuuck 25 years ago?) He won a map when it was 1-1 of a single guy with a bazooka left against a tank or something but the tank's precision was meant for larger targets so they just traded shots till the bazooka guy won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT5snfvxDdc

These cutscenes are the rarest of Dune media. I still remember 6:20 when a Fremen death commando is captured for the first time, ever.

Ended up watching the whole thing. Good stuff.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Do they give Oscars for sound design? This movie, holy poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They have Best Sound which seems to be a catch all for anything that’s not music

Zone of Interest won the last one

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They used to have both sound design and sound mixing, but it just regularly showed that most of the academy had no idea what the difference was. So, it became best sound.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Saw it tonight in a Dolby Atmos theater and man that loving ripped. At many points the seats felt like DBox seats, vibrating like crazy. Etch that Best Sound Oscar now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nucleic Acids posted:

gently caress you

Kull Wahad

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Kull Wahad, Muad'Dib. Want to bring it to Sietch Tabr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did Stilgar have a nickname like Mua’Dib?