Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
go boo buie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Kibner posted:

go boo buie

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

go boo buie

you're hearing it more and more

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Cholmondeley posted:

Pack looks like a portal team that's finally starting to gel. Should be an interesting final.

I’m worried that 5 games in 5 days is going to hit them like a ton of bricks, but maybe the adrenaline is enough to keep them going. My hopes are low but they’re still alive

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Wow Princeton isn't gonna get in despite being in the top 50 kenpom all season. Rough stuff.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh Mississippi State just about threw the game away on a pass that was clearly a case of mistaking a referee for your teammate

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t understand Auburn. They are top 10 on O and D per Kenpom, but have the absolute worst luck. They feel like a team that should be able to go deep, if they don’t trip themselves up on the way.

auburn, tennessee, and alabama are all top 15 in kenpom and none of them seem like they're going to make it to the sweet 16 without some horrible upset

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cyclones Bitches!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Temple bid thief is a possibility

Amid a gambling probe lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao if your basketball team doesn't have a point shaving scandal

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Wolfpack baby, never had a doubt

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Holy gently caress

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’m so happy right now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Survive and Advance: 2 when

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lol Wolfpack getting it for the first time since the loving 80s

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

5 games, 5 nights, and beat the 1, 2, and 3 seeds to do this

Kevin Keatts may actually be a winner

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Reigning ACC Champions has a nice ring to it.

Beating UNC and Duke is just icing on the cake.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Long Beach State is going to the tourney

Long Beach also fired their coach, who's still coaching out the season, last week lmao

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
tomorrow feeling kinda like an afterthought day after today's chaos but regardless

March 17

Ivy, 12 PM: Not Yale’s best team in recent years but you gotta give credit to James Jones for making this completely moribund program into one that goes to the NCAAs every two to three years. The last hurdle this time is Brown, which hasn’t been to a tournament since getting waxed by Syracuse in 1986 (and before then, not since the very first tournament in 1939, when the NIT was still the hotter ticket). They did split with Yale during the season though.

A-10, 1 PM: Conservation of bids here as the A10 likely would’ve gotten two and still will, just with the winner of VCU-Duquesne tomorrow taking Richmond’s spot. Would be pretty remarkable for Ryan Odom (yes the UMBC Ryan Odom) to get VCU straight back into the tournament in what was ostensibly a rebuilding and consolidation year. But it would be more remarkable for the Dukes to get there for the first time since 1977—though they did win the one meeting this year, and in Richmond. Potential for a great game here.

SEC, 1 PM: Auburn is a very good and fun team, with Johni Broome in particular being a human wrecking ball of sorts, possibly player of the year for the non-Edey division. Florida is a slightly less good but still fairly fun team. If nothing else (and it’s not likely to move the bracket much either way) this should be some of the fiercest rebounding you’ll see the whole year. Gators won the single meeting this year in Gainesville, in what was probably Auburn’s worst game to date.

American, 3:15 PM: With the South Florida Atlantic cohort out of the way, it’s left to UAB and Temple. UAB beat them though and is continuing their mini-renaissance under Andy Kennedy, though they weren’t supposed to get anywhere this season. Blazers won their one meeting just last week by 28 points in Philadelphia, but then Temple at one point lost ten straight conference games and clearly rules no longer apply, so here we are.

Big Ten, 3:30 PM: Wisconsin-Illinois in a final the Big Ten would probably have preferred to avoid, especially since the Illini wouldn’t be near this final without the accused rapist they just have to play because a judge said so. After a hot start, Wisconsin had a miserable back half of the season, so they could use the redemption arc. Illinois doesn’t need any more laundering, but they’re a legit Final Four if maybe not championship contender. Given the teams involved, the time of day, and the fact that both teams are in and the bracket probably won’t be adjusted, truly for sickos only.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm glad Oregon won that, at least if Arizona didn't. The Pac-12 always was underrepresented in the tournament so stealing a bid is sweet justice.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Shrimpy posted:

Reigning ACC Champions has a nice ring to it.

Beating UNC and Duke is just icing on the cake.

this one's gonna be funny for a long, long time. also they can't stick automatic qualifiers in Dayton so can relish this until at least Thursday and honestly who cares if they get blown the gently caress out by like Wisconsin in game one

someone noted that every one of the 5 teams State beat along the way has won a national championship this century. been such a long time coming

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

elentar posted:

this one's gonna be funny for a long, long time. also they can't stick automatic qualifiers in Dayton so can relish this until at least Thursday and honestly who cares if they get blown the gently caress out by like Wisconsin in game one

someone noted that every one of the 5 teams State beat along the way has won a national championship this century. been such a long time coming

I'm extremely annoyed. It's like your awful little brother beating you at Mario Kart.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

elentar posted:

Big Ten, 3:30 PM: Wisconsin-Illinois in a final the Big Ten would probably have preferred to avoid, especially since the Illini wouldn’t be near this final without the accused rapist they just have to play because a judge said so.

I had forgotten about this and now I'm even more frustrated about yesterday's game :mad:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

the bid thievery has reached the level now where the non-16 Dayton play-ins will be between 10-seeds unless they rig the field specifically to avoid that

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

OPAONI posted:

I'm extremely annoyed. It's like your awful little brother beating you at Mario Kart.

I prefer an ACC where everyone is competitive. I moved to Chapel Hill in 1989, and have never really thought of State as a contender, it's always been "oh, they used to be really good." This could be the dawn of a fun era.

Or it could just be ncstateshit playing the long game.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

A-10, 1 PM: Conservation of bids here as the A10 likely would’ve gotten two and still will, just with the winner of VCU-Duquesne tomorrow taking Richmond’s spot. Would be pretty remarkable for Ryan Odom (yes the UMBC Ryan Odom) to get VCU straight back into the tournament in what was ostensibly a rebuilding and consolidation year. But it would be more remarkable for the Dukes to get there for the first time since 1977—though they did win the one meeting this year, and in Richmond. Potential for a great game here.

we love our rams, don't we folks

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Declan MacManus posted:

we love our rams, don't we folks

despite VCU clowning all over us on their way to the final four, I still have a soft spot after I lived like a block off their campus for a year

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it is now impossible to be more than a block from vcu while living in richmond thanks to their aggressive real estate strategies

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

elentar posted:

the bid thievery has reached the level now where the non-16 Dayton play-ins will be between 10-seeds unless they rig the field specifically to avoid that

So because lower-tier conference upsets are happening, more lower-seed teams are getting in thus bumping up the play-in seed. It's that correct? I never really gave it any thought before your post.

Poque posted:

despite VCU clowning all over us on their way to the final four, I still have a soft spot after I lived like a block off their campus for a year

They always have a soft spot for me because I called their Duke upset way before they got name recognition. My college buddies and I were putting together a house bracket but I got overruled on it. Ha.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 17, 2024

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

st. peters is in the tournament again lmao

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

So because lower-tier conference upsets are happening, more lower-seed teams are getting in thus bumping up the play-in seed. It's that correct? I never really gave it any thought before your post.

yep because it's meant to be the last four at-large teams in, the more upstart conference champions you get the less room there is for at-larges in the double digits

10s are about as high as i'd expect this to get in practice but in theory you could have every conference tournament won by a "bid thief" and then you'd have to First Four some 8s

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t understand why they can’t move bid thieves lower. Like NC State has to be an 11? They can’t be a 12?

E: this is why I hate the play-in games for at large teams. Just leave them out of the tournament.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I don’t understand why they can’t move bid thieves lower. Like NC State has to be an 11? They can’t be a 12?

E: this is why I hate the play-in games for at large teams. Just leave them out of the tournament.

We've had multiple Final Four runs from those teams since that was instituted. They're fine.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

i'd have no problem with NC State moving lower to bump up a JMU or McNeese State but either way as it stands every slot from 11 to 16 is going to be filled with autobids, it'd be more likely they move NC State and maybe Oregon up to a 10 to drop the at-large play-ins into the 11 slots.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Compound ankle fracture I guess? (E: Florida guy I mean)

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Compound ankle fracture I guess? (E: Florida guy I mean)

It had to be nasty. No replay and they talked about wiping blood off the court.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Paying2Lurk posted:

It had to be nasty. No replay and they talked about wiping blood off the court.
I thought the broadcast was maybe laying it on a little thick but sounds like that was the mood in the room
https://x.com/JFergusonAU/status/1769411611314303229?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Pity about Brown today but Duquesne is back in the tournament for the first time since almost half a century. Back in the 1976–77 season they won the first-ever championship staged by the Atlantic-10 (then known as the Eastern Collegiate Basketball Association or the Eastern Athletic Association, but more commonly the "Eastern 8") and not a single one since. They only even had one crack at a final in all that time, losing to Temple back in 2009.

This also means two sets of Dukes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That was quite a smooth path to the SEC tournament championship, ty to everyone who beat the good teams before Auburn had to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

elentar posted:

Pity about Brown today but Duquesne is back in the tournament for the first time since almost half a century. Back in the 1976–77 season they won the first-ever championship staged by the Atlantic-10 (then known as the Eastern Collegiate Basketball Association or the Eastern Athletic Association, but more commonly the "Eastern 8") and not a single one since. They only even had one crack at a final in all that time, losing to Temple back in 2009.

This also means two sets of Dukes.

And congrats to NC State legend Dusan Mahorcic, now playing for Duquesne, his sixth university