Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

redleader posted:

you should

i don't know gently caress all about building or bathrooms or wood, but will you need to seal it protect that thing somehow? it's gonna get a lot of water on it, which i think is bad for wood??

Trees need water. Wood is made of trees. Therefore wood needs water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I wish I had a room solely dedicated to my pants.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I would like to formally welcome NJAN to the 100 Club

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Because 99 bought old cat 5 cable out of a van for all his networking needs?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Dead Goon posted:

I wish I had a room solely dedicated to my pants.

No no, pant room. It's where you recover from exercise.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

EasilyConfused posted:

No no, pant room. It's where you recover from exercise.

It's actually where you sort your Swedish recycling

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
still colourblindly vaguely painting some colours on some walls?

needed to reconnect my basin waste to the AAV in a way that didnt gently caress it up and actually it was kind of tricky and a new tiny one was only like a couple of quid so it gets its own. (The white upward T in the middle with the grey dirgo on top)

My oak vanity thing needs staining/protecting whatever as everyone has pointed out. Danish oil seems fine? Need a bunch of coats and sanding and oh god everyone is so anal about everything

so thats one coat (out of five!)

plus I've fitted the tap now. So apparently always the hot goes on the left lol oh dear

actually simplify a bit

where should a tap come out into a sink?

here? well theres not many other options

so yeah here

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Maybe put a bag over your smoke alarm. There might be one in the packet that looks a bit like a shower cap. If it's the radioactive type of detector they get really pissy about dust, especially from construction work.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Endjinneer posted:

Maybe put a bag over your smoke alarm. There might be one in the packet that looks a bit like a shower cap. If it's the radioactive type of detector they get really pissy about dust, especially from construction work.

Do this, or you'll be replacing those before long.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hmm i cold just remove it again

I can't really remember why I put it up

like to feel like progress probably

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But having the heat on is defo causing some drying out.

All the cheap oak worktops I chopped up previously have warped to poo poo and actually snapped apart at the glue joints in pretty much every piece.

Definitely not related.

Be sure to rest the floor in the space for a while before installing. Engineered hardwood less susceptible but I’d do it anyways.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's a lovely blue, is it for the pants room?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Technically yes. That bit through the not a door is the walk in wardrobe.

BT have woken me up so had to drive up to site to move the smart car. Been waiting I dunno a month for them.

They haven't got the manhole lid lifter thing so can't do anything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Can't you just lift a manhole lid with an old coathanger bent into a hook

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's a heavy one.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Just get some manhole lifters on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1445350180?iid=303289283019

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
It’s taking about the amount of time I expected it to given the circumstances but should be done on the next try. I like that paint colour.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Let's just reminisce once again about the distant past when the foundations for the big L were being laid:

https://i.imgur.com/4hiG3sn.mp4

from here:

quote:

OSHA Thread

Loki Kunti fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 15, 2024

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's a heavy one.

Just use two coat hangers then. Bent into an L. Obviously.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Loki Kunti posted:

Let's just reminisce once again about the distant past when the foundations for the big L were being laid:

https://i.imgur.com/4hiG3sn.mp4

from here:

dangit I clicked through and lost my bookmarked spot in the osha thread :(

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

dangit I clicked through and lost my bookmarked spot in the osha thread :(

Glad I'm not the only one this happened to!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was like two or three or four thousand posts behind, not sure where exactly
was totally gonna catch up one of these days for sure

i wish crosslinking threads would auto-insert the noseen=1 flag, it works that way in the reports forum and I sometimes forget that if I click a random crossthread link anywhere else, I'm taking my precious bookmarks into perilous waters

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If you’re on a browser you can check your history and find what page it was, then reset your marker and load that page. If you’re fully an app user I have no help for you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The last time I looked in the thread was more than a year ago, it's not gonna be findeable in my history lol

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry... :ohdear:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

time to call your structural engineer and beg forgiveness

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ok so those bt dudes that came the other day were eventually able to open the manhole. Not that they did anything down there. just looked in it.

They have dug down at the foot of the post. SO it had an old cast iron 90 bend under the protruding plastic bit of pipe that was all gummed up. So they've bypassed that altogether and put a plastic bend in instead. They havent pulled the fibre through. But theyre like yeah someone else can totally do that now. Hmmm.

It all seems like aggressively bodgy. But whatever.

So now we wait for one of the other engineers to return to pull through the fibre. Climb the pole, terminate the fibre. then go round onto site and splice internal and external fibres together and were good.

lol. believe it when i see it.

So the price of the oak worktops has weirdly (not weirdly) gone up. Deffo gonna recover the bits I've hosed and get it to work

Which means clamping and glueing together the big splitter bits of oak

hmmm....

actually seems to work

the base peice though keeps buckling. not enough clamps. can use weight

that seems to work

you can't tell me what to do

I've blued the ground

Prepare en suite for second cantilevered vanity. Laser wood nails

More tapagge

oh and rewind to first vanity. put shaver socket inside it. Wire not long enough. adapt. overcome

Second one easier get right first time

rout back of socket as doesnt fit fat wood

hmmm, looks ok?

course t loving does. I'm a pro at whatever this is now

had to bend my poo stack over backwards mind

Finished insulating heatpump outdoor pipes.

getting kinky

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Are you getting a bidet in that toilet, if I was spending however many years making a house I would make sure I had a bidet.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I am not having a bidet. Had a bidet for years. Never used it.

My parents built a house and put in a bidet in... 1993/4. It has yet to be used.

Plus if I had a bidet Jose might want to come round.

Heres a new fun thing I've discovered just this morning.

All the in ceiling supply air vents have suddenly, like I think overnight, developed a tide mark about an inch out all the way around.

So theory is, where I've cut the metal duct in the ceiling it has lost its galvanisation. The air in the house is relatively warm and when the colder, fresher air sucked from outside has been vented through into the room the metalwork has been chilled, moisture has condensed on it and rusted the cut ends. This tide mark of rust has then spread out into the plaster ceiling where it touches the cut metal. I dunno why this has happened suddenly and not straight away. I need to check the relative humidity levels on the MVHR maybe to see if anything weird has happened.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
This seems to line up with everything I've heard about construction and moisture being the most constant and greatest enemy of anything you ever do.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So theory is, where I've cut the metal duct in the ceiling it has lost its galvanisation. The air in the house is relatively warm and when the colder, fresher air sucked from outside has been vented through into the room the metalwork has been chilled, moisture has condensed on it and rusted the cut ends. This tide mark of rust has then spread out into the plaster ceiling where it touches the cut metal. I dunno why this has happened suddenly and not straight away. I need to check the relative humidity levels on the MVHR maybe to see if anything weird has happened.

You're probably overthinking this and it's just dust/dirt/moisture that formed a ring as it was being carried out of (into?) your round vents. Or condensation that formed from the temperature gradient. Either way, it's probably from air moving through the vent and not rust wicking through the walls.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This thread has a lot of funny, amusing, or head scratching moments but the bidet comments are going a little too far.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Not sure why you'd have a separate bidet when you could wire in a SmartToilet seat or just T a bumgun off the cistern supply.

I went for the bumgun and I gotta say :feelsgood:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

This seems to line up with everything I've heard about construction and moisture being the most constant and greatest enemy of anything you ever do.

I suppose you're speaking in the general "you" but I like the idea of construction and moisture being personal enemies of NJAN99

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
It's op really not going to get a washlet toilet seat? Embarrassing

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Heres a new fun thing I've discovered just this morning.

Can you wipe it clean with a cloth?
From the picture it looks like dirt/debris from whatever work you’ve been doing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

MetaJew posted:

It's op really not going to get a washlet toilet seat?

JunkDeluxe posted:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The Dave posted:

This thread has a lot of funny, amusing, or head scratching moments but the bidet comments are going a little too far.

I was wondering why someone would install a bidet and then not use it. If you're interested enough to get one wouldn't you use it and either like it or decide it isn't for you? OP talks like it's a pressure washer they never have an opportunity to use as if they never poo poo at home.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

You're probably overthinking this and it's just dust/dirt/moisture that formed a ring as it was being carried out of (into?) your round vents. Or condensation that formed from the temperature gradient. Either way, it's probably from air moving through the vent and not rust wicking through the walls.

Look mate, I've been doing this a while now. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about

JunkDeluxe posted:

From the picture it looks like dirt/debris from whatever work you’ve been doing.

Pretty sure I would have thought about this before posting some long winded nonsense that makes me look like a total fool?

So anyway, I put a little stepladder under the vent and stomped up it to prove a point and blew at the rust stained ceiling and it all disappeared.

As I always suspected it was just dust and debris from the oak worktop I literally bragged about cutting up.

So thats ultimately good isnt it? Like havent got to deal with all that imagined poo poo. I guess I was so used to finding other elements of rust on the paintwork from the washers and edge pieces that I was pre... pre something pre configured? to assume the worst. lol I started this project partly with fun in mind and I should try to get back to that in the closing stages. Not everything is destined to go horribly wrong.

So I turned on my hot/cold basin pipes for the ensuite bathroom prior to closing that up mainly to check the waste under the basin was done up ok.

Water pours through the ceiling down the wall.

yeah

probably hosed up this oak thing all over again. ideal.

Turned it all back off. It was the hot one wot done it. Luckily I have documented everything so can look back through my photos to remind myself what the gently caress is likely to have gone wrong

pretty sure its that lowest hep20 joint between the plastic and copper. Its tight to the wooden joist and the bend, a bit fiddly, and is the kind of thing that a lazy workman could have gone "oh for ffs" and just pushed on a bit and called it a day.

This is why you do things yourself. Problem here is I did this myself. ffs

Its not the end of the world but to get back at that is going to involve cutting into the professionally plastered foot of the wall upstairs and then somehow making good. Completely avoidable.

Anyway,

Back on the ventilation rust/dust rings. I have no idea how thats actually happened? So i checked the filters in the MVHR unit.

And yeah the internal suck filter is pretty sawdusted up as I guess to be expected

But the external suck, as in feed to the house is fine?

So I don't get how the internal supply vents suddenly farted out a ring of sawdust after I did some woodwork? The system is:

internal rooms -> extract vents -> extract manifold -> filter -> heat exchanger(no physical overlap) -> outside -> heat exchanger(no physical overlap) -> filter -> supply manifold -> supply vents -> internal rooms

So how did sawdust get sucked up in the big room and deposited on the ceilings of all the other rooms? Its unpossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

Its not the end of the world but to get back at that is going to involve cutting into the professionally plastered foot of the wall upstairs and then somehow making good. Completely avoidable.

Just plumb both the hot tap and the cold tap to the cold water pipe. They'll both still work, you just won't get hot water. Who cares about that?