Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Veskit posted:

I'm not sure how it took this long for my brain to put together the outer spaceness of the celestial dragons, the five elders a moon dude and that they're opposed to a sun god. And that the ancient weapons seem to revolve around the sun.

And the big boss of the celestial dragons refers to themself as "Mu" which can be translated as Void

Outer Space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
One piece was a space opera the entire time

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

So I've had the anime running in the background while I game lately, and there's -so many- instances of people doing things that shouldn't be possible because of "the power of love/my heart/my dreams" etc. I think in the One Piece universe if you believe something hard enough you can literally change reality. The fruits are actually Dream Fruits, and the D are the people of Dreams. I'm sure something like this has been posted before but it stands out going back through the series after Gear 5 and Vegapunk's fruit lore.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Doctor Syrup posted:

So I've had the anime running in the background while I game lately, and there's -so many- instances of people doing things that shouldn't be possible because of "the power of love/my heart/my dreams" etc. I think in the One Piece universe if you believe something hard enough you can literally change reality. The fruits are actually Dream Fruits, and the D are the people of Dreams. I'm sure something like this has been posted before but it stands out going back through the series after Gear 5 and Vegapunk's fruit lore.

https://youtu.be/xH_OoD-6rNI?si=sKH2pNAbZJi1JhWK

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's literally in the first opening. D. Reaming, don't give it up, Luffy! It's obvious when you know where to look.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved this so much the first time I read it/watched it, just amazing powerful "might as well throw these in the fire!" energy :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 17, 2024

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

D. Reaming, don't give it up, Luffy!

Rubber, man

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the worlds most awesome blood transfusion between Luffy and Jimbei, too bad he's not actually going to join the crew for like uh.... ten more years from this point???

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Meowywitch posted:

the worlds most awesome blood transfusion between Luffy and Jimbei, too bad he's not actually going to join the crew for like uh.... ten more years from this point???

yeah it was super lame!!!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda wild to think that it really was like ten loving years from the end of FI to the full page spread of Jimbei in Wano when hes done with all his side quests and ready to join forever. I never knew I wanted the “uncle who doesn’t fully understand what’s going on but happy to be here anyway” character but I’m glad he’s here to fill that niche.

Also Jesus, I’ve been reading this comic book for over ten years. One Piece has been a part of like 30% of my life.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm already kinda sad I didn't get to experience the Weekly Wano Mines

Speaking of, how many manga arcs are as long as Wano, if any?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Meowywitch posted:

None of them, Wano is like 150 chapters long. Even Whole Cake is only around 75.

For reference, most arcs are around 50 chapters. Even if you break Wano into the raid and everything before the raid, they'd both be among the longest arcs in the series!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Meowywitch posted:

Fishman island and thriller bark

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

If you're only talking One Piece, nothing. If you're asking about manga arcs in general off the top of my head there's stuff like Naruto's ninja war or Bleach's arrancar saga. Just from weekly magazines you could make a case for things from Ippo or Kingdom, depending on how you're counting arcs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Chimera Ant Arc is “only” 133 chapters compared to Wano’s 149

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

they want shady posted:

If you're only talking One Piece, nothing. If you're asking about manga arcs in general off the top of my head there's stuff like Naruto's ninja war or Bleach's arrancar saga. Just from weekly magazines you could make a case for things from Ippo or Kingdom, depending on how you're counting arcs.

I genuinely did not know Naruto and Bleach arcs went that hard

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Meowywitch posted:

I genuinely did not know Naruto and Bleach arcs went that hard

Just because they're long doesn't mean they're good

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Naruto's Ninja War arc being that long was not to it's benefit.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

There's like 200 Wano episodes. That's like almost as many as The Office, Cosby Show, and Seinfeld.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It actually felt short by my memory, but that’s just because the part of it that was long was not even the War

Chapters 516 to 559 43 chapters was the actual war part.

Then we get 560 to 639 for the Kabuto, Tobi and Madara battles up to them becoming the 10 Tails host which goes on for 640 to 677 before Kaguya ends the series 678 to 700. So 140 Chapters takes up the final battle after the War.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
My only experience with the tail-end of Naruto is Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, which honestly was probably the best way to experience it. The anime had a ton of needless filler bullshit from what I understand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally got to hear Vegapunk say his fruit name in the anime this week, and it's as wonderful as I'd hoped :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/wTWAocx.mp4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

My only experience with the tail-end of Naruto is Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, which honestly was probably the best way to experience it. The anime had a ton of needless filler bullshit from what I understand.

it wasn’t much better-paced in the manga

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Finally got to hear Vegapunk say his fruit name in the anime this week, and it's as wonderful as I'd hoped :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/wTWAocx.mp4

jinbei's just a dad on vacay

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jinbe's Egghead costume is completing his evolution into Tito from Rocket Power.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/sonnystrait/status/1769175912967221490?s=20

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Twosopps

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Doctor Syrup posted:

also haki is just strength of will and you can rid yourself of devil fruit shenanigans by wanting to hard enough

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

hatty posted:

Twosopps

Duogekings

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Augus posted:

it wasn’t much better-paced in the manga

Yeah if you consider the ninja war one single arc it's about 200/700 chapters for 30-ish% of all the Naruto chapters. Compare that to the anime which had it around 300 episodes / 40-ish% of the anime with all the filler.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/buntoge/status/1768760605236969754?s=20

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

that's very upsetting

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Bleach has entire chapters where less happens than in 1 page of One Piece and I think about that a lot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gomu Gomu no Truckin'

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Bleach has entire chapters where less happens than in 1 page of One Piece and I think about that a lot
Yeah Kubo had clear ideas from the start on what he wanted to do but had no idea how to get there and just kept dragging his feet and creating more characters instead of expanding the world. The dude just liked designing costumes and characters, that's really all.

When you break it down there's so few actual arcs and only like 5 sets in the entire manga.

Karakura Town/The intro
Soul Society/The Rescue Arc
Hueco Mundo/The other rescue arc
Fake Karakura Town/The war against Aizen
Back to Karakura Town/Some filler that was somehow canon
Soul Society Strikes Back/The final fight against Ywach

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

Yeah Kubo had clear ideas from the start on what he wanted to do but had no idea how to get there and just kept dragging his feet and creating more characters instead of expanding the world. The dude just liked designing costumes and characters, that's really all.

When you break it down there's so few actual arcs and only like 5 sets in the entire manga.

Karakura Town/The intro
Soul Society/The Rescue Arc
Hueco Mundo/The other rescue arc
Fake Karakura Town/The war against Aizen
Back to Karakura Town/Some filler that was somehow canon
Soul Society Strikes Back/The final fight against Ywach

You say “somehow canon” like we didn’t need an explanation for Ichigo getting his powers back. Also Fullbring arc was rad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I actually really liked the Fullbringer arc because it felt like OG Bleach, with cool powers in the real world.

Such weird, stupid storytelling though. The bad guy was defeated and Ichigo had lost his powers, so I thought, Huh, guess it's over then. Fair enough, it had an okay run.

Then it just kept going, Ichigo got his powers back and everything seemed to be back in the real world again. Great, I thought! It's a soft reboot that resets things back to how things were when we all loved Bleach. Good idea, hopefully it'll run for a long time without making the same mistakes.

Then they announced that it was actually entering its final arc and it was all the same bloated horseshit that ruined the Arrancar arc, which begged the question of why even bother with the Fullbringer arc in the first place.

Then I dropped it, only for it to end 15 chapters later anyway.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Kubo and Oda are both boobs guys.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, Kubo loves boobs as much as any heterosexual man drawing a comic book/cartoon (more than average definitely), but if he liked them that much he would only make characters with one cup size like Oda, or not have the nurse lady with huge baps wear a chest band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

The One Pants... is real!!!