Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Side-Note: I dig how this turn was so out of left-field for the Straw Hats that they just don't even seem to know what's happening anymore. Sanji's just telling everyone to get the gently caress out of dodge because a bunch of freaky giant monsters showed up out of nowhere.

This has happened before. On Sabondy. Get ready for 10 Minutes 2 More Years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I wouldn't say I'm "fully" spoiled on any of the arcs, but that's fair (and noted) .

youll know what i meant before long

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Oda put Robin out of commission for this part because she’s the only one of the strawhats who would actually know who the five elders are while for the rest of the crew it’s just these five ridiculous old dudes showing up out of nowhere lol

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

rko posted:

...But the giants apparently have some way to prevent the WG from invading Elbaf, since they’ve never been enslaved (the best they could do was trick two giants into protecting Enies Lobby)? Could be the last safe place left after Egghead...

That seems like a fair point like, if you look at all the Giants we've seen across the whole series and, not counting any random civilians on Elbaf itself, most of them have been Pirates. They had no problem with their Prince almost marrying into Big Mom's family (even if that didn't end up happening) and seem to be aware of/worship Nika, which would pretty much automatically make them enemies of the World Government.

We've seen a few Marine giants and later it was established probably all of them were orphans that the nun who raised Big Mom had basically stolen and sold to the government. Maybe that's why the government was so fixated on making artificial ones? They want an army of unstoppable killing machines but their source of actual Giants died decades ago, etc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Augus posted:

I think Oda put Robin out of commission for this part because she’s the only one of the strawhats who would actually know who the five elders are while for the rest of the crew it’s just these five ridiculous old dudes showing up out of nowhere lol

I kinda wonder if even Robin knows. At first I figured that the Elder Stars would be super well known and all, but if Saturn hasn’t aged in like thirty years between kid Kuma grabbing the Paw-Paw and now, and it’s been confirmed that all of them are mythical demons/yokai/cryptids that have been presumably been ruling the world since the Void Century, then I’d think you’d keep the specifics of their existence beyond “five guys who are the vice presidents of the planet” under wraps.

Then again I guess you can just quietly announce in a newspaper article that James Garfield Sad Urn had retired and is replaced by his “successor”, Jay Garcia Saturn anyway.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Based on some dialogues from that chapter, it seems like the Elders almost never leave their Inner Sanctum. Saturn himself says it's been decades since he's seen the surface. So it stands to reason most regular people have no idea they even exist and any Marine below Vice Admiral rank is only barely aware of their existence.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

rko posted:

I like Punk Hazard as a light, Thriller-Bark-style arc. Solid gags with the gang, charmingly repulsive villain, new and cool allies, some old favorites, etc. Memorably bad Sanji jokes. A little something for everyone.
What were the memorably bad Sanji jokes? I feel like he actually had some good moments that most people forgot, on my reread.

Drakkel posted:

That seems like a fair point like, if you look at all the Giants we've seen across the whole series and, not counting any random civilians on Elbaf itself, most of them have been Pirates. They had no problem with their Prince almost marrying into Big Mom's family (even if that didn't end up happening) and seem to be aware of/worship Nika, which would pretty much automatically make them enemies of the World Government.

We've seen a few Marine giants and later it was established probably all of them were orphans that the nun who raised Big Mom had basically stolen and sold to the government. Maybe that's why the government was so fixated on making artificial ones? They want an army of unstoppable killing machines but their source of actual Giants died decades ago, etc.
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that for all its global reach, the World Government can't mess with Elbaf. Giants can just gently caress anyone up- and even if you have a really strong fighter or two like the admirals, the giants are a warrior culture who aren't going to be slacking when it comes to their own physical training. It doesn't matter if individual humans can become monstrously powerful, so can individual giants. The only thing saving the rest of the world from the giants is the giants disorganization and disinterest.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Ok I checked and Frieza attacks Namek in Chapter 320 and the planet explodes in Chapter 328, so ~9 chapters total. However, Namek was only a (less than) 5 minute timer.

So we can expect Vegapunk's 10 minute timer, which started at the beginning of last chapter (1109) is now apparently at 7 minutes? (Even though it was mentioned last chapter that brewing coffee would take 10 minutes, and in this chapter the coffee is finished?)

If three minutes have passed in 1 chapter of One Piece, and it took 9 chapters for five minutes in Dragon Ball, then we can convert that Namekian minutes take 1.8 chapters each, whereas Egghead minutes take 0.33 chapters each. So, each Namekian minute is around 5.5 Egghead minutes.

Ah, so they're mystery minutes. :hai:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doctor Syrup posted:

Ah, so they're mystery minutes. :hai:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Augus posted:

She's with Saul

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Meowywitch posted:

I've made it to Punk Hazard. I actually don't know anything about this arc at all so I'm looking forward to it!

Mugiwara no goofy’s video for Punk Hazard is the best summary. Even if you watch it, it won’t make any sense because good god is that arc weird.

https://youtu.be/a4GbR4japjc?si=7TMAUjDgjQ38bpUu

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Augus posted:

I think I've made a post like that every arc.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Eiba posted:

What were the memorably bad Sanji jokes? I feel like he actually had some good moments that most people forgot, on my reread.

Thriller Bark had the clear-clear fruit bit, and Punk Hazard has the ultimately pointless Shambles bit where Sanji has Nami’s body, though it’s Zoro’s disrespectful fight with Monet and Tashigi I’ve seen more complaints about in terms of Oda Gender Moments.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Scholtz posted:

So we can expect Vegapunk's 10 minute timer, which started at the beginning of last chapter (1109) is now apparently at 7 minutes? (Even though it was mentioned last chapter that brewing coffee would take 10 minutes, and in this chapter the coffee is finished?)

We all know what’s really going on. A rapt worldwide audience, a loss of government funding, his trademark shameless self-promotion…

Vegapunk just invented the unskippable ad.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

So was the sandworm the shadow crawling along the wall that people thought was an umibozu? With the arms? Was that the hybrid form since it has arms?

Already answered, but yeah, that's Imu crawling down the wall.

Given that the Five Elders are mostly based on yokai, I get the feeling Imu will be connected to an umibozu in some way, especially given how they were presented at the Empty Throne with the Elders.

I also still look back to that one page at the end of Thriller Bark where a gigantic shadow with glowing eyes shows up behind the clouds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Umibozu...

Umi...

Imu...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Imu is sea backwards

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No Wave posted:

I think I've made a post like that every arc.

"Whoops, Robin's too smart. She needs to take a nap."

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm guessing we will have to wait at least a month for Vegapunk's lore drop, just saw something about the manga going on a three week hiatus after Chapter 1111.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Ok I checked and Frieza attacks Namek in Chapter 320 and the planet explodes in Chapter 328, so ~9 chapters total. However, Namek was only a (less than) 5 minute timer.

If three minutes have passed in 1 chapter of One Piece, and it took 9 chapters for five minutes in Dragon Ball, then we can convert that Namekian minutes take 1.8 chapters each, whereas Egghead minutes take 0.33 chapters each. So, each Namekian minute is around 5.5 Egghead minutes.

The numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for Saturn at Egghead.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1769728882746229189

One Piece going on a 3 week break after this next chapter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He better give the fuckin announcement.

Oda seems like he saves the big breaks for after big things.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
work starting on la season 2 i guess

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

He better give the fuckin announcement.

Oda seems like he saves the big breaks for after big things.

It’s perfectly timed for the next chapter to drop a juicy hint without committing to the full announcement, especially after the whole “coffee’s already done” bit. Oda’s really turning the screws with this one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I am hoping against hope that the next chapter is the most aggressively mid poo poo possible to make the wait more bearable, but alas, I don’t think Oda has it in him, the man is gonna cook and take a well deserved rest while the entire world waits on tenterhooks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What if the next chapter is just suddenly the end of Egghead and oops we gotta go to Elbaf

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Next chapter is the airport

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Julias posted:

One Piece going on a 3 week break after this next chapter.

Well there's my opportunity to fully catch up

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Good I hope Oda lives to see his 70s

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
a break from chapter definitely doesn't mean a break from work when it comes to oda

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

mikeycp posted:

work starting on la season 2 i guess

Not worth it in that case imo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

give me live action chopper i need it

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

We all know what’s really going on. A rapt worldwide audience, a loss of government funding, his trademark shameless self-promotion…

“I have EARTH-SHATTERING revelations that THE GOVERNMENT doesn’t want you to hear, but first I gotta shill for new Vega Coffee.”

Turns out Vega Punk is Alex Jones.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I sure do hope Atlas makes it out of this alive

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CommunityEdition posted:

Kizaru is a hero for blasting him

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hope oda gets some nice time off. guessing 1111 is a big chap bc thast when he usually takes long breaks.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

anime was right posted:

hope oda gets some nice time off. guessing 1111 is a big chap bc thast when he usually takes long breaks.

it has an unprecedented numerological format

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Zoro is going to kill sword horse next chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

anime was right posted:

Im gonna call it quad ones chapter