Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Mikojan posted:

Checking out the hamilton chap. Seems like he wrote a trilorgy called 'the Void'. Is that one worth picking up as well?

They’re on my list but I’ve not read them yet. They’re in very distant future of same universe as the Commonwealth Saga books (Pandora’s Star and Judas Unchained) with some overlap in characters. They’re supposedly heavier on fantasy (as opposed to sci fi) elements, for what that’s worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

zoux posted:

Arguably the Butlerian Jihad wasn't Humans v AI but rather Humans who were fat and lazy because of AI and because a major theme of the books is "hard living makes hard men" living the WALL-E life would be anathema. In the Bad Son Books it is explicitly a war between humans and 12 cyborg AIs that stomp around in huge Battletech warframes and call themselves Cymeks.

Nah, man, the Butlerian Jihad entry in the appendix to Dune explicitly says it was "the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots," and the existential threat that Leto II sees is prescient seeker robots. Fighting against killer robots was always what the Butlerian Jihad was about. It's just Brian and KJA took that in the most boring direction they could and turned those conscious robots into Saturday morning cartoon villains that would make Megatron and Starscream blush.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, man, the Butlerian Jihad entry in the appendix to Dune explicitly says it was "the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots," and the existential threat that Leto II sees is prescient seeker robots. Fighting against killer robots was always what the Butlerian Jihad was about. It's just Brian and KJA took that in the most boring direction they could and turned those conscious robots into Saturday morning cartoon villains that would make Megatron and Starscream blush.

Maybe the confusion here is about those 'titans' aka people turning themselves into robots enslaving humanity, before they themselves get enslaved by actual AI.

edit - from the dune wiki

quote:

During the rule of the Titans, the group relied to a lesser or greater extent on the Thinking Machines - the limited artificial intelligences present in the various networks and robots around them. While many of the Titans sought physical pleasure (usually through violence or sex), the Thinking Machines controlled the daily operations of the new empire.

The Titan Xerxes, being particularly fond of leisure, afforded too much autonomy to his regional A.I. network, thus allowing an infomorph to come into existence. This sentience which was called Omnius and quickly spread to other worlds before further action could be taken by the Titans, and took control from the Titans.

So basically humans enslaved other humans by transferring their own consciousness into robotics called Cymeks. The cymeks relied on AI to deal with managing their empire. The AI eventually breaks free of the Cymeks and fucks everything. The Jihad comes in to deal with the double threat of the AI and the titans.

So you are both right

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 18, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Disagree.

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” - R.M. G. Helen Mohiam to a young Paul Atreides, Dune. The very next line is Paul reciting the prohibition on thinking machines from the OC Bible.

“What do such machines really do? They increase the number of things we can do without thinking. Things we do without thinking-there’s the real danger.” - Leto II, GEoD.

Also here's another danger of technology - when all your books are digital, they can change your book covers from stylized and beautiful works of art to movie posters.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

zoux posted:

Yeah I just read the wiki summary of Sandworms of Dune and now I'm mad irl, don't read the prequels/sequels not written by Frank.

His son and KJA basically take all of the strange mystery that is so integral to the atmosphere and vibe of Dune and they just straight up explain everything. It's total Star Wars EU syndrome too, where anyone who was ever mentioned in any of the original books have a crucial backstory that actually extends back through their families for thousands of years.

Arguably the Butlerian Jihad wasn't Humans v AI but rather Humans who were fat and lazy because of AI and because a major theme of the books is "hard living makes hard men" living the WALL-E life would be anathema. In the Bad Son Books it is explicitly a war between humans and 12 cyborg AIs that stomp around in huge Battletech warframes and call themselves Cymeks.

It will never stop being funny to me that the guy I knew from childhood for writing bad star wars novels made his name writing bad sequels to a big SF classic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

It will never stop being funny to me that the guy I knew from childhood for writing bad star wars novels made his name writing bad sequels to a big SF classic.

Exactly the same. Friggin Jedi Academy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mikojan posted:

Maybe the confusion here is about those 'titans' aka people turning themselves into robots enslaving humanity, before they themselves get enslaved by actual AI.

edit - from the dune wiki

So basically humans enslaved other humans by transferring their own consciousness into robotics called Cymeks. The cymeks relied on AI to deal with managing their empire. The AI eventually breaks free of the Cymeks and fucks everything. The Jihad comes in to deal with the double threat of the AI and the titans.

So you are both right

The Titan stuff is from the Brian Herbert and KJA books exclusively and thus is not part of any decent and thoughtful discussion of Dune :colbert:

zoux posted:

Disagree.

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” - R.M. G. Helen Mohiam to a young Paul Atreides, Dune. The very next line is Paul reciting the prohibition on thinking machines from the OC Bible.

“What do such machines really do? They increase the number of things we can do without thinking. Things we do without thinking-there’s the real danger.” - Leto II, GEoD.

Also here's another danger of technology - when all your books are digital, they can change your book covers from stylized and beautiful works of art to movie posters.

These lines do not contradict the appendix, which I previously quoted, or the part where Siona sees that "the seeking machines would be there, the smell of blood and entrails, the cowering humans in their burrows aware only that they couldn't escape" (God Emperor of Dune 348) or when Leto II tells her upon his death, "do not fear the Ixians ... They can make the machines, but they no longer can make arafel (the apocalypse) (God Emperor of Dune 420).

Like don't get me wrong, the whole "computers and automation make humans easily enslaved" theme is totally there too and more important overall than the specific identity of the enemies cast down 10,000 years before the novels begin. But the Butlerian Jihad is explicitly fought against actual robots and AI. The Dune Encyclopedia states the inciting incident was a women finding out the AI running her local hospital was selectively aborting viable children for its own nefarious schemes.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Mikojan posted:

Dang, thanks for that. Maybe I'll get deeper into the foundation universe.

For now I ordered:
- house of suns
- inhibition phase
- Hyperion
- Pandora's star + Judas unchained

That, plus the 6 Dune books coming in should keep me occupied for a bit
Gary Gibson's Shoal Sequence: Stealing Light, Nova War, Empire of Light, Marauder
Mysterious alien races, alien planets, search for old technology, space battles, big dumb objects. First three are one big story. Marauder is stand alone and set after the trilogy.

Tobias S. Buckell's Xenowealth: Crystal Rain, Ragamuffin, Sly Mongoose, The Apocalypse Ocean
Aztec gods, human rebellion, heavy Caribbean influence, books set in common universe with a few repeating characters and callbacks but still an overarching story.

Corey J. White's The Voidwitch Saga: Killing Gravity, Void Black Shadow, Static Ruin
Genetically engineered space witch can wreck space ships with her mind. Also has a pokemon-thing as a pet. Start-Middle-End trilogy

Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Final Architecture: Shards of Earth, Eyes of the Void, Lords of Uncreation
Almost done with Book 1, so I can't speak for the next two, but so far: Moon sized antagonists, plenty of alien races, zooming around the universe, old artefacts, lots of fighting and adventuring.

eighty-four merc posted:

They’re on my list but I’ve not read them yet. They’re in very distant future of same universe as the Commonwealth Saga books (Pandora’s Star and Judas Unchained) with some overlap in characters. They’re supposedly heavier on fantasy (as opposed to sci fi) elements, for what that’s worth.
Yeah, it's basically two stories: One set in the Commonwealth universe with fan favourite government agent Paula Myo, and another in a fantasy setting. Pretty good, if you enjoy the universe and Hamilton's action set pieces.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Stormwarden (Cycle of Fire #1) by Janny Wurts - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7JSSY9/

Keeper of the Keys (Cycle of Fire #2) by Janny Wurts - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S6V4DV5/

The Magician's Apprentice (Black Magician) by Trudi Canavan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RTKITG/

Crucible of Chaos (Court of Shadows) by Sebastien de Castell - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGHQG63V/

The Hour of the Dragon (Conan) by Robert E Howard - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07715L75N/

Some space opera not mentioned yet.
Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire (Ninefox Gambit, Raven Stratagem, Revenant Gun)
Max Gladstone's Empress of Forever

pradmer fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 18, 2024

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PeterWeller posted:

The Dune Encyclopedia states the inciting incident was a women finding out the AI running her local hospital was selectively aborting viable children for its own nefarious schemes.
this is some John C. Wright rear end bullshit

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Dune Encyclopedia is fan fiction so no need to sweat it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is some John C. Wright rear end bullshit

It's pretty dumb. It's one reason why the Dune Encyclopedia is best taken with large grains of salt and not treated as any sort of canon (unless you're running a Dune RPG campaign, and then it's a pretty great source of esoterica). I only bring it up to show that Brian and KJA weren't the first people who saw Frank's writing and noticed the robots and that it was an "authorized" source.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Frank Herbert would consider the fact that I don’t have a single (currently relevant in my life) phone number memorized and can’t reliably navigate around the city in which I’ve lived for the past decade without the use of my nav program to be irrefutable evidence of Man’s decline. There’s your Butlerian Jihad right there. Killer robots, Hell, it’s about being neutered by your cellphone.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Zore posted:

Not really? Its what if Harry Potter actually tried to tackle the social rot in Wizard society where just being good at killing a guy is kind of worthless and mostly just leads to more politically adept people manipulating you.

I really enjoyed the books and thought El was really great. Very fun POV to ride along with overall.

I talked about this elsewhere but its really weird to me that people at the time didn't really seem to pick up on how strange it was that Harry Potter ends with a return to normalcy when the wizarding society has so many unresolved issues that led to the Voldemort poo poo in the first place. It might be because I was a kid at the time those books were coming out but it seems like the politics of that series only started to be scrutinized in like the mid-2010s, and even as a kid I found the subplot in Goblet of Fire where Hermione (who I really liked and identified with) gets mocked and made fun of for caring about house elf slavery really off-putting.

Whirling fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 19, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Before I had easily available GPS navigation I just spent a lot more time lost

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just read The Sparrow, and thought it rather botched the ending. It's a great premise and most of it has this tantalizing setup that has you wondering how it all went so wrong, but then it disposes of its well-drawn characters out-of-view and treats the main character's rape as the ultimate betrayal by God. No, he's betrayed by God when all his friends get murdered by the indigenous ruling class. When the peaceful villagers get slaughtered protecting their infants from mass murderers.

You surmise easily from the loving beginning that he was raped. I mean, no poo poo.

I thought all the cosmic horror and testing of the priest's faith was going to be in the death of his friends, but most of them get taken out in the span of about 2 chapters, with Sofia Mendes and Jimmy Quinn shunted aside in like a single paragraph. Emilio doesn't even get to mourn them, while the book then has a room full of people passing out and vomiting and the like when he talks about his rape.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 19, 2024

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Whirling posted:

I talked about this elsewhere but its really weird to me that people at the time didn't really seem to pick up on how strange it was that Harry Potter ends with a return to normalcy when the wizarding society has so many unresolved issues that led to the Voldemort poo poo in the first place. It might be because I was a kid at the time those books were coming out but it seems like the politics of that series only started to be scrutinized in like the mid-2010s, and even as a kid I found the subplot in Goblet of Fire where Hermione (who I really liked and identified with) gets mocked and made fun of for caring about house elf slavery really off-putting.

I wonder what the balance is when it comes to political transformation in YA from that era. My hunch is that HP is in the minority in being so conservative. Mortal Engines almost had a Marxist historical materialism thing going on by the final book.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Harry Potter was successful because it was narrowly targeted at a specific age bracket and teachers/other adults shoved it in as much of the relevant audience's faces as possible because they were just desperately happy that kids were reading any books at all. If you were a just a little bit too old for them or you had read literally any other books at all, you could tell they were rotten as they were being released and the whole phenomenon was just mystifying.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pseudorandom name posted:

Harry Potter was successful because it was narrowly targeted at a specific age bracket and teachers/other adults shoved it in as much of the relevant audience's faces as possible because they were just desperately happy that kids were reading any books at all. If you were a just a little bit too old for them or you had read literally any other books at all, you could tell they were rotten as they were being released and the whole phenomenon was just mystifying.

lol no it's popular because it was breezily written, used a bunch of classic tropes and forms, had vivid characters and you wanted to find out what happened next. you don't sell 600 million copies just because teachers recommend it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

You're extrapolating wildly from your own experience here mate. Harry Potter was very broadly popular, it wasn't a result of adults shoving it down unwitting kids' throats. Lots of kind of mid books get really popular, Harry Potter is just that par excellence. Twilight is another good example.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
While it was definitely broadly popular for the listed reasons, if you were a big reader but slightly too old for it, it absolutely felt like that. I read the first couple and then aged out of the demographic, and it felt like the hype just never ended.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

While it was definitely broadly popular for the listed reasons, if you were a big reader but slightly too old for it, it absolutely felt like that. I read the first couple and then aged out of the demographic, and it felt like the hype just never ended.

I mean, that's not true. I read a few and aged out of it, but my wife, who's older than me, stuck with it and still enjoys it.

People are allowed to read middling fiction because it's fun. Having read Joseph Campbell doesn't mean every hero story is suddenly valueless.

mewse
May 2, 2006

harry potter is for babies and i am not a baby. i am a grown man

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holy cow The Last Policeman hosed me up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I got my copy of Exordia at the weekend and I'm finding it very difficult to read. Not because of the content, mind - it's just printed on incredibly thin paper and I'm worried that I'll tear the page every time I turn it. It's 540pp but it's the same thickness as the last Tor book I bought that was 320pp. Bears wipe their asses on this stuff, I'm told.

E: I got to the dividing page at the start of Act 3 and I could literally read the next page through it. For gently caress's sake, Battuta, tell Tor that the next time they print one of your books they should at least print it on 2-ply.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 19, 2024

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
I just read the new Sand Butlers of Doom and it turns out the Butlerian jihad was an uprising by cleaning staff who smashed robot vacuums. It was led by Jimmy Butler but his last name was a confusing coincidence. Also Duncan Idaho was in it as the guy who invented and then betrayed the Roomba.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Jedit posted:

I got my copy of Exordia at the weekend and I'm finding it very difficult to read. Not because of the content, mind - it's just printed on incredibly thin paper and I'm worried that I'll tear the page every time I turn it. It's 540pp but it's the same thickness as the last Tor book I bought that was 320pp. Bears wipe their asses on this stuff, I'm told.

E: I got to the dividing page at the start of Act 3 and I could literally read the next page through it. For gently caress's sake, Battuta, tell Tor that the next time they print one of your books they should at least print it on 2-ply.

I have an old Charles Dickens that squeezes 800 pages into 2 centimeters. It's like that Disney short where Mickey is so poor he has to cut translucently thin slices of bread for dinner.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Jedit posted:

I do not have any input on these decisions, except indirectly through the manuscript's wordcount.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

I mean, that's not true. I read a few and aged out of it, but my wife, who's older than me, stuck with it and still enjoys it.

People are allowed to read middling fiction because it's fun. Having read Joseph Campbell doesn't mean every hero story is suddenly valueless.

That's fair, a better way to put it is; if it didn't catch you for whatever reason, it felt very oppressively pushed on you as 'a reader' during the time period of its popularity. Or at least it did for me, and obviously the other poster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm the only one who sees it...wait that means it extremely matters...but I loving hate this trend of replacing good cover art with movie posters. My copy of dune used to look like this

but now it looks like this

Going through my virtual library this has happened to Station Eleven, Lovecraft Country, WoT, Haunting of Hill House, and Horns. I wish I could opt out of this, I loving hate advertising and I'd never buy a physical book that had the NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE cover

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you've paid for the book then I think the universe will be ok with you downloading an epub with the old cover from lib gen or wherever

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I enjoyed Harry Potter up until the last one and I was an adult the whole time. I'm not going to pretend I didn't just because now I see they're shallow and vacuous and they're written by a horrible bigot. I did enjoy them and I get why other people do. These days I'm way more concerned with prose and underlying message and stuff. I was a dope then.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mikojan posted:

I'm on a space opera binge lately and I'm curious if there are any obvious suggestions.

Things I've read: Revelation space series, Expanse series, The Foundation, Red rising series and currently reading Dune.

Would highly appreciate recommendations that deal with large scale space things! Preferably storylines that span multiple books.

It's long and incomplete but I really enjoyed The Spiral Wars by Joel Shepherd, 8 books in.

Currently reading book 1 of the Exordium series after it got mentioned here a few times. Pretty good, I'd call it almost Game of Thrones-ish so far with the sheer number of named character deaths

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jedit posted:

My copy of Exordia is in, finally. It'll still have to wait until I finish reading Wild Cards: Sleeper Straddle though.

This particular Wild Cards volume is one of the better ones and probably the best since the original cycle.

What's a good guide for someone wanting to get into Wild Cards?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm the only one who sees it...wait that means it extremely matters...but I loving hate this trend of replacing good cover art with movie posters. My copy of dune used to look like this

but now it looks like this

Going through my virtual library this has happened to Station Eleven, Lovecraft Country, WoT, Haunting of Hill House, and Horns. I wish I could opt out of this, I loving hate advertising and I'd never buy a physical book that had the NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE cover

I don't think there's anyone who likes this. Feels the same as when Plex fucks with my movie posters and ruins my whole server's vibe.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

HopperUK posted:

I enjoyed Harry Potter up until the last one and I was an adult the whole time. I'm not going to pretend I didn't just because now I see they're shallow and vacuous and they're written by a horrible bigot. I did enjoy them and I get why other people do. These days I'm way more concerned with prose and underlying message and stuff. I was a dope then.

Yep same. It definitely contributed to me becoming a more critical reader

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ravus Ursus posted:

No. It means Joseph Campbell is meaningless. The Hero's Journey as an ur-myth has not aged well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the Ur myth is Gilgamesh.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Kinda hard to claim a "universal" story structure that Little Red Riding Hood doesn't fit into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PriorMarcus posted:

What's a good guide for someone wanting to get into Wild Cards?

It's complicated. This is a series of 32 books written across 37 years by 40+ authors, so the quality is guaranteed to be variable even within individual volumes. Some of the best stories are mixed up with the weakest arc plots - Sixteen Candles by Stephen Leigh falls right in the middle of the Jumper trilogy, for example.

I think my suggestion would be to read the first volume, then to hit up Reactor to read all the short stories that were published on Tor's website during the 14 years that they ran the series. (They're mixed in with a bunch of blogs and reread articles, but with the exception of Ghost Girl Takes Manhattan, which is in the revised Volume 1, they should all be labeled as Original Fiction).