Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
What is it with people thinking just because something isn't constantly generating new material then it's dead or irrelevant. The Sopranos ended 15 years ago and has had one (bad) movie since and people still talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ryaomon posted:

What is it with people thinking just because something isn't constantly generating new material then it's dead or irrelevant. The Sopranos ended 15 years ago and has had one (bad) movie since and people still talk about it.

American geeks have an attention span shorter than a dead goldfish out of water in the Sahara

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Endorph posted:

otoh he did give us ultra instinct master roshi

the manga got better when it got to the ToP but i prefer the anime still

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 19, 2024

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I, somehow, completely missed the DBZ phenomenon in middle/high school despite being deadass in the target demo and saw DBZA first.

it was fine. Mostly there were a few plot points from the actual series that I thought they were playing up for the parody until I hit a wiki and was like "wait WTF they actually wrote Goku that stupid?" most notably the heart meds and cell's senzu bean

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Krillin rules and my only disappointment in him is that he doesn't constantly remind Vegeta that he had his rear end and is only alive because Goku begged him to put down the sword

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The heart medication wasn't actually anyone being dumb in the main series: Goku was supposed to start taking the meds after the disease took hold, but it happened way later in the main timeline.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And once again this takes things back to the issue that properly canon compliant what if scenarios set prior to Kid Buu being defeated should pretty much all result in the universe getting destroyed by Buu and/or erased by Zeno*, outside of maybe getting lucky and somehow managing to get rid of Babidi before he can find Buu(Dabura makes this incredibly unlikely though), or maybe Vegito deciding not to bother with the whole convoluted "willingly get eaten by Super Buu to try and free his kids and Piccolo from the inside" plan and just killing Super Buu and just let the Dragon Balls fix things later

*of course this one arguably makes any deviation prior to either version of the ToP impossible too

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the manga got better when it got to the ToP but i prefer the anime still

using a beam to slide on another beam is still some of the sickest poo poo in dragon ball

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yesterday I read the short "reincarnated as Yamcha" manga. It was actually surprisingly reasonable. Yamcha goes to get his power unlocked by the Namek elder guy before Vegeta/Nappa arrive, which (combined with training) gets him to a 10,000 power level and enables him to defeat the Saibamen + Nappa, and him + Goku are enough to beat Vegeta. But then he gives up because it's impossible for a human to keep up with the bullshit from later in the series.

shame on an IGA posted:

Krillin rules and my only disappointment in him is that he doesn't constantly remind Vegeta that he had his rear end and is only alive because Goku begged him to put down the sword

One "Krillin saves the day" situation I was recently reminded of in the DBZ Kakarot game is the time he saves himself and Gohan (and maybe Dende, forget) from Dodoria with a Solar Flare.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The worst thing about Dragon Ball multimedia is you get attached to characters that can never amount to anything. I should not at all have an attachment to a character like Android 19, but I played a lot of Orange Android 19 decks in Score's DBZ card game in 2003. Now I want a god drat action figure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

And once again this takes things back to the issue that properly canon compliant what if scenarios set prior to Kid Buu being defeated should pretty much all result in the universe getting destroyed by Buu and/or erased by Zeno*, outside of maybe getting lucky and somehow managing to get rid of Babidi before he can find Buu(Dabura makes this incredibly unlikely though),
easy out: at any point after fusing with kami piccolo *could* make the wish to shenron to have his potential unlocked. piccolo says the gammas could keep up with goku and vegeta but would probably lose, so that puts the gammas in like, golden frieza tier i feel like. orange piccolo easily stomps gamma 2. so orange piccolo would stomp dabura and probably be evenly matched with kid buu.

easy out 2: those two hunters never shoot the dog so hercule befriending buu just saves the day and there's no super buu or kid buu

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Star Man posted:

The worst thing about Dragon Ball multimedia is you get attached to characters that can never amount to anything

this is me with ginyu

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The one change I remember liking from the manga was Zamasu originally wishing himself into Monaka's body

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite useless dbz character is chiaotzu

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

And once again this takes things back to the issue that properly canon compliant what if scenarios set prior to Kid Buu being defeated should pretty much all result in the universe getting destroyed by Buu and/or erased by Zeno*, outside of maybe getting lucky and somehow managing to get rid of Babidi before he can find Buu(Dabura makes this incredibly unlikely though), or maybe Vegito deciding not to bother with the whole convoluted "willingly get eaten by Super Buu to try and free his kids and Piccolo from the inside" plan and just killing Super Buu and just let the Dragon Balls fix things later

*of course this one arguably makes any deviation prior to either version of the ToP impossible too

I can't think of a greater insult to Toriyama's memory than using the phrase 'properly canon compliant'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what's everyone's favorite plot hole in dbz mine is that they establish shenron cant be used to wish someone dead if they're too strong, but at the end of the buu arc they show that you can wish someone's memories wiped. so couldnt they have just wished for nappa and vegeta to forget earth exists

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m a fan of Yajirobe. Got a clean W against Goku, carried him up a tower so he could get a power up, then permanently disfigured and weakened Vegeta.

He could probably take Yamcha in a fight.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Endorph posted:

what's everyone's favorite plot hole in dbz

Kaioken and Kaioken x2 are the same thing.

Just typing that out brought back fond memories of trying to power scale DBZ back in the day.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like the part where after Goku blows Cell's upper torso off, his legs stand up and regenerate. Then later on Cell explains that his regeneration comes from a special cell in his head.

Also, when Cell regenerates after the Warp Kamehameha it's noted that doing so used up a large portion of his energy and he's noticeably weaker than before. When Cell regenerates after blowing himself up, now he inexplicably gets a zenkai boost and is stronger than ever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

No Dignity posted:

I can't think of a greater insult to Toriyama's memory than using the phrase 'properly canon compliant'

By that I simply meant what can be considered the "core" Dragon Ball media*; the original manga, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Super, Super: Broly, and Super Hero, that which can be considered the baseline for canon

*and presumably Daima once it comes out

Endorph posted:

easy out: at any point after fusing with kami piccolo *could* make the wish to shenron to have his potential unlocked. piccolo says the gammas could keep up with goku and vegeta but would probably lose, so that puts the gammas in like, golden frieza tier i feel like. orange piccolo easily stomps gamma 2. so orange piccolo would stomp dabura and probably be evenly matched with kid buu.

easy out 2: those two hunters never shoot the dog so hercule befriending buu just saves the day and there's no super buu or kid buu

Arguably true, at least for the "Buu in one form or another destroys the universe" part, though there's still the "Zeno erases Universe 7 along with a bunch of other universes" problem that arises unless a very specific series of events happen that lead to the Tournament of Power occurring and Universe 7 winning it

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I’m a fan of Yajirobe. Got a clean W against Goku, carried him up a tower so he could get a power up, then permanently disfigured and weakened Vegeta.

He could probably take Yamcha in a fight.

He's one of several human characters who I suspect if they had gotten motivation to properly train and be active combatants rather than retiring that they could easily have matched or indeed probably surpassed Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin in terms of sheer potential

Kind of telling that two of the other top candidates in that category are Chi Chi and Videl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I like the part where after Goku blows Cell's upper torso off, his legs stand up and regenerate. Then later on Cell explains that his regeneration comes from a special cell in his head.

Also, when Cell regenerates after the Warp Kamehameha it's noted that doing so used up a large portion of his energy and he's noticeably weaker than before. When Cell regenerates after blowing himself up, now he inexplicably gets a zenkai boost and is stronger than ever.
zenkai in general is funny. krillin mentions goku always got stronger after losing a fight even when they were kids but every time that happened there was a non-zenkai explanation. after tao nearly killed him he trained with korin, after losing to piccolo he drinks the god water, after he barely beat king piccolo he trained with kami, after getting killed by piccolo he trains with king kai. the only time it really happens on its own is when he loses to tambourine and then beats him, but that was just because he was exhausted from his fight with tien the first time they fought, and the second time hed had time to rest and eat. its not really a plothole, more just sloppy justification.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf you could probably at least explain Goku’s post-poison water boost as being partly Zenkai fueled, but yeah that whole thing feels weird because Goku doesn’t ever really feel “stronger” after getting beat to poo poo most of the time up until Namek, at least not in the explosive exponential manner most zenkai boosts tend to function.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that zenkais just stop happening after Namek except for Cell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its weird also because even on namek the only purpose zenkais really serve is letting vegeta kill zarbon and dodoria.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Toriyama was just a sloppy writer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zenkai's stopped working the second Vegeta deliberately started trying to game them, that's just good character writing imo

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Doesn't Buu basically require the world to have a pretty high power level to get enough energy to awaken?

In the Super implied, Kakarot DLC shown Future Trunks timeline Buu Saga, that whole thing went down years later because the only powerful warriors around were the Androids who probably don't count and Trunks.

I'd assume that means most What Ifs would wind up either strong enough to have a chance at nipping it in the bud like Trunks, or just actually beating Buu outright if some crazy power boost happens.

As for the ToP, Zeno is an immortal child who was going to get around to erasing those universes "eventually." That eventually seems unlikely to be in "our" lifetime without Goku pushing him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

its weird also because even on namek the only purpose zenkais really serve is letting vegeta kill zarbon and dodoria.

I mean, if Goku hadn’t been blowing himself the gently caress up while training at x20 gravity he probably would have lost to, like loving Burter, and the zenkai from loving up with the Ginyu body swap was what made him strong enough to be…worth using as a punching bag for Frieza. And as unimpressive as that latter part is, it did set up a chain reaction that led to SSJ.

Also speaking of gravity, that’s the real plot hole. Why the gently caress does Goku even bother teleporting to not-Heaven to train at x10 when Bulma can probably build him a portable gravity chamber at this point? How do you even get anything from training at x10 after blowing yourself the gently caress up for two weeks at x20?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, if Goku hadn’t been blowing himself the gently caress up while training at x20 gravity he probably would have lost to, like loving Burter, and the zenkai from loving up with the Ginyu body swap was what made him strong enough to be…worth using as a punching bag for Frieza. And as unimpressive as that latter part is, it did set up a chain reaction that led to SSJ.

Also speaking of gravity, that’s the real plot hole. Why the gently caress does Goku even bother teleporting to not-Heaven to train at x10 when Bulma can probably build him a portable gravity chamber at this point? How do you even get anything from training at x10 after blowing yourself the gently caress up for two weeks at x20?

Fresh air. Probably muscle memory that transfers over to 1X gravity a bit better. The company of his good friend King Kai.

It's kind of a recurring thing that Vegeta trains "harder," but in a pretty inefficient way without taking things like rest days and instruction, and that that holds him back. I'd assume gravity chamber VS. King Kai's place is an example of that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

In It For The Tank posted:

Kaioken and Kaioken x2 are the same thing.
That would have been ripe for a good joke.
Goku goes x2, struggles more with it but doesn't notice any power. Cut to King Kai questioning his math skills.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

what's everyone's favorite plot hole in dbz mine is that they establish shenron cant be used to wish someone dead if they're too strong, but at the end of the buu arc they show that you can wish someone's memories wiped. so couldnt they have just wished for nappa and vegeta to forget earth exists

Mine is that everyone just kind of forgot that you need to have a body well preserved in order to bring someone back from the dead. Goku getting his body back beforehand was supposed to be a weird exception and then it just kind of became the default.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Probably too strong to get their memories wiped

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That makes me wonder if Android 17 got his memory of Buu erased or not.

It was "Goku's friends and family" but would Android 17 count as either? He's Krillin's Wife's Brother but that kind of raises the question of how far the wish goes on that. Does Android 8 remember Goku? Did Android 8 survive the Human Extinction Attack or did he get revived? If Android 8 got revived then shouldn't have Android 16 too?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think there’s any reason to assume Eighter wasn’t a normal human that got experimented on and probably lost his sense of original self, given the Frankenstein’s monster design.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Mine is that everyone just kind of forgot that you need to have a body well preserved in order to bring someone back from the dead. Goku getting his body back beforehand was supposed to be a weird exception and then it just kind of became the default.

When it first happens (Krillin coming back from being blown up by Freeza), it's specifically pointed out that him getting his body back was a gift from the dragon (I think it was Porunga?). I guess from there on it'd just be petty of them not to do it, seeing how they can clearly do it without burning a wish on it.

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t think there’s any reason to assume Eighter wasn’t a normal human that got experimented on and probably lost his sense of original self, given the Frankenstein’s monster design.

I wondered about this so I checked DB wiki on it, turns out he may or may not be. The anime shows him as a modified human but Toriyama said in an interview he's fully mechanical. Considering 16 is obviously based on him, it's more likely 8 is fully robotic.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They kinda bring that up in Resurrection of F but that can easily be interpreted as Shenron not wanting to give clearly evil people an easy time even if he has to grant a wish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Toriyama at least said he was full robot. Same deal as 16

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

8, 16, and 19 are just robots. 20 is Gero doing a ghost in the shell. 17 and 18 are cyborgs. Cell is just kind of an artificial life form. 21 is like a Buu.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gero was pretty good at building robots and mockeries of nature that would try to kill Goku but he really sucks at classifying them. Cyborgs, Androids, blob monsters and whatever you'd call Cell all under the heading of Jinzou Ningen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
motherfucker made robots stronger than space hitler without even knowing space hitler existed smh