Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Caphi posted:

Yeah I remember people were making Samurai Flamenco comparisons about the first episode but that was just a vibe and hasn't really borne out the same way in practice.

i can't help but be a vibes based consumer. the good thing is that even if i'm dumb and wrong i might trick someone into watching bravern, an anime that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

i can't help but be a vibes based consumer. the good thing is that even if i'm dumb and wrong i might trick someone into watching bravern, an anime that owns

i, too, am a vibes based consumer. tbh i like a lot of your recs for shows because we're on the same page in that regard, i think.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Southern Cassowary posted:

i love tomozaki but i also think it's kind of mid, if that makes sense

this season in particular has been laborious on occasion. the episode with the multiple rewritten plot synopses of the fantasy story was painful, and some of the stuff in the tama/erika plot could have definitely been cut down. it's only kind of okay looking, and although the premise and writing are interesting, the plotting is usually pretty straightforward.

but tomozaki, at its core, is using this kind of standard slice-of-life setup to try to say interesting things about social dynamics and how to be an interesting person, and it actually gets there. there have been a couple of plotlines or discussions in this season of tomozaki that have made me think about myself and how i interact with the world. that's loving cool.

Yeah, agreed on all counts. It doesn't look amazing, it's not particularly funny, and the more ambitious plotlines of the second season have really shined a spotlight on the author's weaknesses, but it's still disarmingly sincere and well-observed.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

i, too, am a vibes based consumer. tbh i like a lot of your recs for shows because we're on the same page in that regard, i think.

:cheersdoge:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

cave emperor posted:

Yeah, agreed on all counts. It doesn't look amazing, it's not particularly funny, and the more ambitious plotlines of the second season have really shined a spotlight on the author's weaknesses, but it's still disarmingly sincere and well-observed.

i think hinami is my favorite part of the show. centering tomozaki learning social interaction via someone i'd place somewhere on a spectrum between machiavellian and sociopathic is an interesting way to both explore social dynamics from a 10,000 foot view as well as create tension with tomozaki's earnestness.

there was a moment in a recent episode where fuuka and tomozaki interviewed her to get a sense of what makes her tick in order to add some character depth to the play. hinami spends the entire time putting up a front, basically saying what she thinks fuuka wants to hear. fuuka's the kind of person who's observant and just immediately realizes she's full of it, and says as such to tomozaki after the interview, who at this point knows hinami well enough to know exactly what she's doing. it's a great, small character moment - some people absolutely have a sense of character like that and i felt like it really fit fuuka's nature for her to pick up on that when the rest of the class kinda rolls with hinami because she's outwardly gregarious and popular. the writing regularly nails these kinds of social observations, which makes the rest of it more frustrating.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
There's a bit in Bravern where the grunt squad blasts a bad guy and one of the characters goes "that was waaaay too easy, is this one of those moments where someone says "IMPOSSIBLE!"?"

And then the bad guy steps out of the big explosion completely unharmed and it smash cuts to the admiral saying "IMPOSSIBLE" in the most serious possible way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm vibes based but bad vibes

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
To the extent that it's a class, Bravern is very much the one that rides on its vibes.

Bravern is about the imposition of genre values. Bravern himself is pretty much overtly powered by Braves vibes, and it works because the enemies themselves are overtly powered by depression vibes. Everyone else simply has to wrap their heads around the new rules.
Samflam is about the imposition of genre outcomes. The mechanics of a hero show are falling down over the heads of people who were either not prepared for it or are beholden to assumptions about it that don't hold. Those who have internalized the genre assumptions are forced to figure out how they can put them into practice from scratch.
Gridman is about the imposition of genre imagery. When you break it down, it's basically just a "monsters as metaphors for anxiety and growth" play, with really good production decisions and execution. Gridman himself barely even does anything narratively. Material consequences, outside the thematic problems of resetting and stasis, are not really what anyone is interested in, in contrast to both Bravern and Samflam, which ask, in different ways, how far its protagonist is willing to go in the face of real horrors.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

it being borne of bad association is partly the case (as evidenced by a couple posts upthread) but it's also that it personally just hits an uncanny valley for me, who didnt get weened on like, Vocaloid, and whose only exposure to 3D anime stuff is HnK (very good), sequences in Zombieland Saga (ehhh), and the brief uses of it in Do It Yourself!! (very bad). i'm still going to check out GBC, it might just take a bit longer for me to ease into it based on that style but i have no preconceived notion about it being bad. if anything, watching the PV once or twice more made me more hopeful now noticing how fluid the more dynamic animations are
*crying* watch mygo

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

*crying* watch mygo

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Spring 2024 - Daily lives of HIGHSPEED girls

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

*crying* watch mygo

yo no hablo ingles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

yo no hablo ingles
请观看 mygo

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

yo no hablo ingles

*llorando* mira mygo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Spring 2024 - All aboard the sequel train

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seven Animes On The Witch's Tree

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think some people also view 3D animation as inherently trying to displace 2D due to how things have largely played out with theatrical animation in America when that's not really the case with anime. There's cases of schools of 2D anime dying off (mechanical animation for instance), but that's mostly tied to the industry's own issues with drawing and training talent.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i displace Disney with my fist

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

symbolic posted:

i displace Disney with my fist

Denken approves.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Big Leg posted:

there's always the lingering sense that their reality is strangely artificial and childish (although i'm guessing bravern might not be as literal in that regard). like there's a scene in bravern where the two main dudes are boxing out their emotions and bravern hangs a boom mic over them

lol cool, it’s now on the list :cheers:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
how yall gonna talk about 3D anime and not mention Trigun Stampede

I know Lustrous is the same folks and arguably more... Ambitious? Interesting? Visually, because of it's unique subject matter, but Stampede was the first CG TV anime that I never once questioned the aesthetic of even a little.

Orange is in a class of their own. That poo poo looked better than a lot of big budget CG movies, frankly.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

how yall gonna talk about 3D anime and not mention Trigun Stampede

you mean aside from the people who did or

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Best 3D this season is the dragon in lv99 villainess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Best "3D" is this bizarre filter run over some live action tractor... thing that I saw on youtube last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N-wKHLq-w8

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Best 3D this season is the dragon in lv99 villainess

i don't trust your rear end

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anyways something something subliminal messaging anime chat thread MyGO etc

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
nothing subliminal about it. watch mygo bitch

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Leg posted:

nothing subliminal about it. watch mygo bitch

sorry just found a 50 minute video essay about the Simpsons Hit & Run iceberg narrated by a guy who sounds half-drugged, and well, priorities are priorities

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Caphi posted:

To the extent that it's a class, Bravern is very much the one that rides on its vibes.

Bravern is about the imposition of genre values. Bravern himself is pretty much overtly powered by Braves vibes, and it works because the enemies themselves are overtly powered by depression vibes. Everyone else simply has to wrap their heads around the new rules.
Samflam is about the imposition of genre outcomes. The mechanics of a hero show are falling down over the heads of people who were either not prepared for it or are beholden to assumptions about it that don't hold. Those who have internalized the genre assumptions are forced to figure out how they can put them into practice from scratch.
Gridman is about the imposition of genre imagery. When you break it down, it's basically just a "monsters as metaphors for anxiety and growth" play, with really good production decisions and execution. Gridman himself barely even does anything narratively. Material consequences, outside the thematic problems of resetting and stasis, are not really what anyone is interested in, in contrast to both Bravern and Samflam, which ask, in different ways, how far its protagonist is willing to go in the face of real horrors.

that's a cool interpretation. guess i have to add samurai flamenco to the list

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My personal pitch is that Bravern isn't like Gridman at all because because I was frustrated and disappointed by Gridman and I like Bravern.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

sorry just found a 50 minute video essay about the Simpsons Hit & Run iceberg narrated by a guy who sounds half-drugged, and well, priorities are priorities

icebergs might be the lamest form of youtube content but guys who sound half-drugged are based. land of contrasts.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

icebergs might be the lamest form of youtube content but guys who sound half-drugged are based. land of contrasts.

Wendigoon though...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

symbolic posted:

That sounds more like Superliminal messaging.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://i.imgur.com/m7bnW0l.mp4

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

is there any site out there with like an actual calendar layout of what day each anime airs btw, think im gonna need that for spring

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's this https://www.livechart.me/schedule

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

is there any site out there with like an actual calendar layout of what day each anime airs btw, think im gonna need that for spring

https://www.senpai.moe has my favorite layout in table mode but it usually takes them a bit to add the newest season compared to all the other chart sites

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

https://www.senpai.moe has my favorite layout in table mode but it usually takes them a bit to add the newest season compared to all the other chart sites

guess i gotta make do with what's out there, beggars:chooser etc. ty both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

guess i gotta make do with what's out there, beggars:chooser etc. ty both

y'know this irritates me too and there's apparently an anime schedule api that updates faster than senpai does and has oauth support for saving poo poo so i might go about solving this issue

what are you (or anyone else who uses schedule sites like this) looking for that's not being met by what's out there?