Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Is hypothesizing about the characters in the OP still alright? I feel bad that people got a probe cus I mentioned it.

yeah hypothesizing is w/e but nerds stepping over each other to confirm/deny stuff will be swirlied appropriately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

haddedam posted:

Frierens good and all but this does to frieren what MHA did to shounen -perfected it. Defiantly anime of the year.

Frieren and Dungeon Meshi are both good, but as an adaptation, I think I'd have to give the award to Frieren. The Frieren anime takes a manga that was really good, and carefully presents it so as to add all the things that the manga was missing (presumably because the original artist could not draw them and just went with a take that didn't include them), turning something that was really good but had some flat edges into a complete and colorful experience.

Dungeon Meshi is just a really great adaptation of really great material; Frieren is quite possibly the best adaptation, as an adaptation, that has ever been made.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rand Brittain posted:

Frieren and Dungeon Meshi are both good, but as an adaptation, I think I'd have to give the award to Frieren. The Frieren anime takes a manga that was really good, and carefully presents it so as to add all the things that the manga was missing (presumably because the original artist could not draw them and just went with a take that didn't include them), turning something that was really good but had some flat edges into a complete and colorful experience.

Dungeon Meshi is just a really great adaptation of really great material; Frieren is quite possibly the best adaptation, as an adaptation, that has ever been made.

what about the nic cage movie, adapation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snooze Cruise posted:

what about the nic cage movie, adapation

"Why the gently caress are you wasting my two precious hours with your movie?"

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
This adaptation feels like it's bringing a new angle and energy, which I value over Frieren just going for a straight but expanded take.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

haypliss posted:

This adaptation feels like it's bringing a new angle and energy, which I value over Frieren just going for a straight but expanded take.

That's an interesting take; do you want to talk about the angle you think this adaptation is approaching the material from?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Is hypothesizing about the characters in the OP still alright? I feel bad that people got a probe cus I mentioned it.

I think it's fine, people just need to understand that asking questions in an anime thread are speculating and it doesn't mean they want the question answered with facts from the manga

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
according to the manga [spoilers] pee pee poo poo[/spoiler]

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Lamebot posted:

according to the manga [spoilers] pee pee poo poo[/spoiler]

How could you?!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
okay but why are people referring to stuff that's clearly not in this OP and not getting probed

are we reading the same OP

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

okay but why are people referring to stuff that's clearly not in this OP and not getting probed

are we reading the same OP

They're talking about this OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_2zt9l3Yk

Bard followed by boat elves are from 1:02. There's a winged feline immediately after, dunno if that's the cat that people are talking about

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're talking about this OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_2zt9l3Yk

Bard followed by boat elves are from 1:02. There's a winged feline immediately after, dunno if that's the cat that people are talking about

Blink and you miss it moment just right after the scrolling group shot you got someone sporting a cat tail

So either a cat person or someone wearing a cat tail for some reason

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also the dragon fight kicks rear end.

Very brief while still feeling like it could be over for the group at any moment. The animation of Senshi throwing Laios the sword is loving sick.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Who the gently caress wears open toed shoes into a dungeon? Don’t even think about crushing injuries…think about all the stuff that will get in-between your toes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marsupial Ape posted:

think about all the stuff that will get in-between your toes.

Laios: hell yeah

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Who the gently caress wears open toed shoes into a dungeon? Don’t even think about crushing injuries…think about all the stuff that will get in-between your toes.

*laughs in Cimmerian*

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Marsupial Ape posted:

Marcille and Senshi both have their toes out.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Marsupial Ape posted:

dungeon or no dungeon, fashion still matters

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Marsupial Ape posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligae

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Sander posted:

And Chilchuck will take off his boots and run around in his Ace bandages when he’s looking for traps.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Rand Brittain posted:

yeah i'd def agree with this

dungeon meshi is a much better manga than frieren imo, in that frieren is quite good but dungeon meshi is one of the best mangas ever

adaptation-wise, this is a very competent adaptation of its source material. frieren constitutes an elevation of it

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Sander posted:

Marcille: I should get a pair of fun and practical galoshes!

Senshi: JAM! JAM! JAM!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Rand Brittain posted:

That's an interesting take; do you want to talk about the angle you think this adaptation is approaching the material from?

It's really just a matter of style. Trigger are able to bring their trademark exaggeration to the show in a way that suits it, while also showing breadth beyond that, and it just feels like getting to see the material through different eyes. Angular and craggy animation like from Ikarashi and Kanno is such a stark contrast to the source's round, smooth, heavy lines, but absolutely works. They've dabbled with painted frames, first person pov (even including cg), comic paneling within the show, and a focus on composing shots with depth that enhances not just action but characters simply existing in/traversing the dungeon as a space.

I've only read about 2/3 of what Frieren adapted much longer ago than DM, and haven't been looking into comparison discussion so it just strikes me as high quality but straightforward.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
yea I agree with that. Frieren is a straight forward but incredibly elevated adaptation. I think its one of the biggest glow ups ever. But it IS very straight forward, really whats added is just the battle stuff. DM is a higher bar for source material (its one of the most goated mangas of all time imo), but Trigger is taking that - matching it - and also going all out with variations in style while still remaining true to the source material.

They're both great adaptations in their own ways. From pure source->adaptation Frieren is probably the biggest "quality increase". I guess I don't know where I really fall on this argument as I love both of them so far.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this anime was always going to whip as long as it maintained the base level quality of the manga because the manga is one of the best ever already

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
how many episodes left in this cour, 2?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tomorrow should be the last episode for this batch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is it a split deal with a 1 cour break between cours or are we getting a new episode next week

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I want to read ahead so badly, but it's been a lot of fun going in blind with my wife and trying to guess what's going to happen... like in the last ep when Laois intentionally got his leg chomped by the dragon and we both had a split second of dread where we were like oh god, is he intentionally getting himself vored to save her that way???

Whether or not I read ahead I guess depends on how long a wait there is between ep 12 and the next batch :v:

We've been enjoying it a lot so far though, Senshi has ended up being our favourite character. Going in I thought I'd like Laios the most, and while he is a loveable weirdo, Senshi has just utterly won my heart. :3:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Laios is willing to get his leg chomped to go in for a kill I bet he's more than willing to try fighting a monster from the inside like he's Drax the Destroyer.

Or Marcus Fenix, now that I think about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIYWP5Zwh9c&t=249s

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 21, 2024

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AFAIK it's back to back cours, no break. I could have sworn they were even doing a special showing of 11 12 and 13 in theaters but I can't find a story on it now to verify.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The special showing was in Japan only.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NmareBfly posted:

AFAIK it's back to back cours, no break. I could have sworn they were even doing a special showing of 11 12 and 13 in theaters but I can't find a story on it now to verify.

24 straight weeks of this? Sweet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
do you ever think Senshi thought about Laios' leg

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Alan Smithee posted:

do you ever think Senshi thought about Laios' leg

Let's be real, Laios thought about Laios' leg.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stupid dragon, I wanted to eat that leg.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

Biiiiiiiig foot, as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Marsupial Ape posted:

I wear sandals when I hike. It's fine. Against people with weapons though it would be a liability.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

New episode is definetly not one you show your kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I just saw it on a trainride. Felt a bit uncomfortable when the person next to me saw my screen.

New episode stuff:
Fallin seems great. She's just as much of a weirdo freak as her big bro. She directly went for the humanoid monsters. I think Marcille may have a slight crush on her. It's subtle, but I think there's something there.
It feels kind of weird to see her whenever she's not quinting though.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 21, 2024