Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
The US lend lease expired last year without being used. Was it simply Ukraine happy with what they were getting in aid and not wanting to take on unnecessary debt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ronya posted:

A partial translation, interesting throughout:

https://www.sinification.com/p/why-china-russia-ties-must-be-strengthened

Cherrypicking some bits:

most interesting element is the consciousness that Europe has shifted in some way from the Kosovo war/Belgrade bombing Europe that exists in the Chinese FP understanding: a Franco-German resentment of Atlanticism that can be channeled to Chinese benefit, in particular over reluctance to entangle themselves in the post-Soviet chaos: Wang complains about it but is unable to articulate why the shift has occurred, beyond waving hands about :argh: 白左 :argh:. The fact that he acknowledges the drift instead of denying it is remarkable, though.

can't you burn dynamite in an open fire safely?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

ChubbyChecker posted:

can't you burn dynamite in an open fire safely?

Nope, you need to get all the way to modern plastic explosives before you get to the ones that just give you lung cancer instead of fiery death when thrown into open flames.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Nope, you need to get all the way to modern plastic explosives before you get to the ones that just give you lung cancer instead of fiery death when thrown into open flames.

Pfft, amateurs burn C4. True professionals eat it!

and get such violent shits that taco bell itself stares in awe

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
You can also burn many forms of artillery propellant. I would not advise doing this, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Novaya's favourite statistician with another banger.

https://novayagazeta.eu/articles/20...-vbrosheny-news

quote:

Vladimir Putin received at least 31.6 million votes through fraud, meaning about half of the votes for him were 'thrown in', Novaya Gazeta Europe has found out.

This is record levels of vote fraud in the Russian presidential election.

'There were so many falsifications that it is almost impossible to identify the area of "honest" votes by statistical methods.'

[...]

The Shpilkin method reveals how many votes were "added" to the winner through ballot stuffing and rewriting of the final protocols. This is done by comparing the distribution of votes for different candidates with the turnout at each individual polling station.

If the election was fair, the distribution of votes for the leading candidate and all other candidates should be identical, i.e. differ only in absolute value due to the different number of votes, not in form. However, throw-in for one of the candidates affects the distribution: it increases both the turnout and the result.

As always, Shpilkin's method doesn't account for the massive administrative push to have all government and state-owned sector workers to vote at the same time, as well as some other shady methods that are not outright ballot stuffing and faking numbers in the final protocols, but the fact that the method indicates such a huge amount of potentially fraudulent votes is very telling. Russia is one step away from Turkmenistan-style elections.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean the difference is cosmetic at this point

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ynglaur posted:

You can also burn many forms of artillery propellant. I would not advise doing this, though.

You can burn anything once.

Is there an amount of heat that will set off C4? Like, if you like it with a burning piece of magnesium?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You can burn anything once.

Is there an amount of heat that will set off C4? Like, if you like it with a burning piece of magnesium?

I meant non-explosively.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Scapegoat posted:

The US lend lease expired last year without being used. Was it simply Ukraine happy with what they were getting in aid and not wanting to take on unnecessary debt?

The lend lease statute was passed with an expiration date of Sept 30th and Congress failed to extend it.

Iirc the Ukrainians lobbied for an extension but ultimately were unable to overcome the problems in us domestic politics.

As for the lack of use, there is multiple statutory means by which Ukraine aid can be provided and the Biden admin has strongly favored those. I'm not sure if it's just that there's a sense of the whole "send it over and then once the wars over they have to return it or pay for it" is problematic in a way that more permanent aid isn't, or if it has to do with complications involving procurement contracts. Or some other reason. In any event, the lend lease statute wound up being primarily a rhetorical statement of support for Ukraine than anything providing concrete support.

As far as debt, lend lease probably would save Ukraine a good amount of money, based on how it worked in WW2, compared to standard means of military aid, but it's hard to say what a final settlement would look like on that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paladinus posted:

Novaya's favourite statistician with another banger.

https://novayagazeta.eu/articles/20...-vbrosheny-news

As always, Shpilkin's method doesn't account for the massive administrative push to have all government and state-owned sector workers to vote at the same time, as well as some other shady methods that are not outright ballot stuffing and faking numbers in the final protocols, but the fact that the method indicates such a huge amount of potentially fraudulent votes is very telling. Russia is one step away from Turkmenistan-style elections.

Independent exit polls, such as they are, also show some interesting numbers.

https://www.moscowtimes.ru/2024/03/18/nezavisimie-ekzitpoli-pokazali-nebolee-55-golosov-uputina-a124734

quote:

"We conducted the poll on Saturday and Sunday on a very large sample of 4,000 people. The overall turnout was 72 per cent. <...> Vladimir Putin's rating was 55%. This is from all voters who answered the question: 'Who did you vote for'," ExtremeScan sociologist Elena Koneva told TV Rain live.

She added that 3% supported Davankov, 2% supported Kharitonov, and 1% of Russians supported Slutsky. 1% spoilt the ballot paper, another 1% named something else and 37% refused to answer the question.

It's safe to assume that people who voted against Putin would be more likely to refuse to answer, but I suspect there was also a good chunk of those who voted for Putin under pressure, or even regular Putin supporters who imagine western spies at every corner. Just like with previous elections, it looks like pre-election day(s) suppression and coercion still matter more than on-the-day(s) shenanigans.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Independent exit polls, such as they are, also show some interesting numbers.

https://www.moscowtimes.ru/2024/03/18/nezavisimie-ekzitpoli-pokazali-nebolee-55-golosov-uputina-a124734

It's safe to assume that people who voted against Putin would be more likely to refuse to answer, but I suspect there was also a good chunk of those who voted for Putin under pressure, or even regular Putin supporters who imagine western spies at every corner. Just like with previous elections, it looks like pre-election day(s) suppression and coercion still matter more than on-the-day(s) shenanigans.

Are there any numbers on online votes?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mawarannahr posted:

Are there any numbers on online votes?

All I can find is that Putin performed even better there.

https://www.rbc.ru/politics/17/03/2024/65f734079a79471358f4fe66

89% in Moscow with the e-turnout of 94% (Moscow, of course, like all major cities, is normally less supportive of Putin). It's a complete black box. No exit polls, no observers, nothing, while people are being routinely pressured to e-vote by their bosses at work. On the other hand, actual Putin supporters are also more likely to e-vote because they trust that black box disproportionately more than his opponents.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do people in Russia actually believe the elections aren't rigged? or is it just accepted there is some level of manipulation but meh what can you do.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Paladinus posted:

All I can find is that Putin performed even better there.

https://www.rbc.ru/politics/17/03/2024/65f734079a79471358f4fe66

89% in Moscow with the e-turnout of 94% (Moscow, of course, like all major cities, is normally less supportive of Putin). It's a complete black box. No exit polls, no observers, nothing, while people are being routinely pressured to e-vote by their bosses at work. On the other hand, actual Putin supporters are also more likely to e-vote because they trust that black box disproportionately more than his opponents.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder if the reported increase in turnout is partly because of the added convenience.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Article about Russian espionage in Europe, which has apparently become more bold, better-resourced and overall more competent recently: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/18/volkov-attack-russia-return-to-cold-war-era-spying

Spy stuff is interesting but I also feel it's pretty difficult to actually know anything about it, due to the obvious secrecy of everything. Anyway I wonder what the various European countries are doing to try to thwart Putin's spy surge. Some places like Austria, Germany, Slovakia, Hungary etc are probably a lost cause, but how about everywhere else

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Do people in Russia actually believe the elections aren't rigged? or is it just accepted there is some level of manipulation but meh what can you do.

It seems to be largely the latter, with a side of "everyone else's elections are just as rigged, but at least we know ours are rigged, so they're dumber than us."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaete posted:

:words:

News from Finland: former Finnish army intelligence guy, colonel Kari, died of cancer last August. Now his biography has been published. Article in Finnish

Kari is probably most famous for this lecture he gave about Russia's strategy and so on in 2018 - has English subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF9KretXqJw

He had cancer already back then which is why he was cold all the time and was wearing a silly hat indoors. Anyway, the lecture seems pretty good as a short intro to/background of the history of Russian strategy.

This is a great overview and I liked how he got into Russian History. It's just been constantly brutal. Over and over. I don't think Putin is going to stop unless forced and even when he leaves office I suspect the same goals will continue.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
New War on the Rocks with Mike Kofman. https://warontherocks.com/2024/03/fortifications-manpower-and-munitions-in-ukraines-daunting-year-ahead/

In regards to manpower issues, they discuss the problems with changing the laws to help facilitate mobilization and how the Ukrainian general staff needs to come up with a plan to implement that. What was the Ukrainian plan for mobilization/draft before the war started? They were conscripting men in February 2022, what is the different from then and now? I am struggling to think how a proper mobilization/draft plan was not in place considering Russia has been breathing down their necks in earnest since 2014.

Towards the end they bring up the motivation for Russian soldiers, and money being the primary factor. How is Ukraine paying their soldiers in comparison, and what is stopping the US and EU from helping subsidize their pay?

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Germany has announced a 500 million package for Ukraine. I don't know if this is a new package or something that is just announced again.

A very simplistic calculation is that with the war having gone on for about 750 days, and Ukraine having received about 250 billion worth of aid, we should be seeing new 500 million packages announced every couple of days to maintain the flow of money.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

d64 posted:

Germany has announced a 500 million package for Ukraine. I don't know if this is a new package or something that is just announced again.

A very simplistic calculation is that with the war having gone on for about 750 days, and Ukraine having received about 250 billion worth of aid, we should be seeing new 500 million packages announced every couple of days to maintain the flow of money.

Its kinda fascinating how expensive modern wars are. But this was also only like a fraction of the US's military budget yearly.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

d64 posted:

Some context for those numbers:
250 billion Euro is the total financial and military aid committed. Some 50 billion Euro or so of the financial aid is committed, but not disbursed yet, as it consists of some multi-year commitments.

Ukraine has received some 110 billion Euro in military aid in total.

This 500 million Euro package is completely military aid. In addition, Germany will finance 180k rounds of artillery shells via the Czech initiative to procure 800k shells on the world market. That brings up the total military aid newly committed in 2024 by Germany to some 7.6 billion Euro. This is more than the combined 6.6 billion Euro provided in 2022 and 2023. In total Germany has provided or committed so far to more than 28 billion Euro in military aid.

Also, just yesterday the EU foreign ministers agreed to provide an additional 5 billion Euro in military aid via the EU.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 19, 2024

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Russian Intelligence Says France Preparing to Deploy 2,000 Troops to Ukraine

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29792

quote:

Naryshkin (Direction of Russian Foreign Intelligence Service, SVR) said the information Russia has received indicates that France is preparing an initial force of 2,000 troops for the operation and that “such a large military unit cannot be transferred and stationed in Ukraine unnoticed.

“It will thus become a legitimate priority target for attacks by the Russian armed forces. This means that it will suffer the fate of all the French who have ever come to the Russian world with a sword.”

SOooooo... I see Russia is still ready to take on the entire world. Certainly aren't backing down in terms of their rhetoric, I wonder when/if French troops reach Ukraine what the actual response will be.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Dull Fork posted:

SOooooo... I see Russia is still ready to take on the entire world. Certainly aren't backing down in terms of their rhetoric, I wonder when/if French troops reach Ukraine what the actual response will be.

So I guess that just kind of ignores the results of the Crimean War then, in terms of French soldiers and their swords.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

So I guess that just kind of ignores the results of the Crimean War then, in terms of French soldiers and their swords.

I don't think you can say that the French intervention force in Ukraine and southern Russia was militarily defeated, either. They landed there, eventually realized that the local population didn't support them or the white generals (nor did French soldiers in general and colonial troops in particular want to be there), and when hostile forces started gathering they got on boats and sailed away.

Not glorious, but not exactly ominous. "You will come here, you will spend some time here... and then you will go back!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dull Fork posted:

If Russia is the only source saying this, it means nothing.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. I think that this messaging combined with what France has recently said, gives us a peek at potential avenues for future responses. At the start of the war it seemed like most of the west was on a 'woah woah calm down lets talk this out' kick. Now it seems they're a bit more willing to (at least) talk publicly about committing their own troops. That is certainly not something anyone would have expected back in 2022. Could be that France's rhetoric is about building the consent of the French people into getting more involved militarily, and Russia is attempting to do the opposite, nothing more concrete than discourse shaping. That discourse shaping can have some significant effects for western countries and their abilities to assist Ukraine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm gonna say that if Russia is threatening merely to strike Western forces in Ukraine with priority, rather than nukes / full on war on NATO, it seems like a sign of weakness and moving the window closer to possible deployment. But it's still just posturing

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

It's based entirely on some retired French colonel theorising on TV about how many troops France could send to Ukraine, if needed, and what they could do there. It's even less notable than Medvedev's regular nuclear threats.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm receiving news that the 2000 french troops were already destroyed today by Russian precision strikes, first in the morning, then early in the afternoon, and for the third time around dinner.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Czech Republic has "found" and purchased 800,000 artillery shells from around the world. It's also located another 700,000 shells. Total cost is about €3.3 billion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBixox2YDAQ

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Czech Republic has "found" and purchased 800,000 artillery shells from around the world. It's also located another 700,000 shells. Total cost is about €3.3 billion.

This is interesting. They don't break down the cost per type of shell, but 1,5 million shells at 3,3 billion € would come to 2200 € per shell on average. Obviously this is pretty badly wrong since the calibers differ (e.g. only 500 k of this 800 k are 155 mm), but still. The cost seems roughly similar to the figure of 3300 € per 155 mm shell I saw somewhere earlier.

But even this amount of shells won't last for very long if you do the math, hopefully EU can increase domestic ammo production to proper numbers, finally.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

5000 shells/day, about a year

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
That'll make Ukrainian artillery peeps happy, for sure.

I'd rather have 800,000 shells than not.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBixox2YDAQ
Isn't it supposed to be Czechia now, instead of Czech Republic?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yes, it's a crime to use the other name now. Stay vigilant!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Yes, it's a crime to use the other name now. Stay vigilant!

I don't think it's a crime? Just that Czechia made their preference clear?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

Umm, actually its The Czechia now get it right :cop:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BabyFur Denny posted:

no

BabyFur Denny posted:

Whose preference exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Czech Republican Rhapsody