Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Instant Pot got bought by a private equity firm. Classic American capitalist bullshit. The product was too good and wasn't an avenue to permanent growth.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/06/instant-pot-bankrupt-private-equity/674414/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dino. posted:

OK, buckle in, because this might be an unpopular opinion.

I don't think any of these are very controversial. The instant pot is just a pressure cooker with a timer and auto-shutoff, which is very convenient imo, but it's not some kind of weird magical "press button, food made" device

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Instant pot will turn ground cannabis into decarbed cannabis into delicious herby oil or butter faster than anything else on the planet. A pint jar holds 14oz coconut oil + 14g ground herb perfectly.

That is the best use of the instant pot. use it to make pot edibles. all sorts of guides online for different models but it's not hard to figure out

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The quickness means a lot of the good aromatic terpenes don't break down.

I bet it would be great for making normal infused fats and oils too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

With pressure canning it's usually recommended to not use a stovetop pressure cooker anyway. You're supposed to have a pressure canner - a bigger vessel with a pressure gauge so you can ensure you're getting the process right. IIRC my presto stovetop model says not to can with it, it's strictly a pressure cooker.

Yeah, if you want to pressure can, buy a pressure canner. We have one and Ive never used it to pressure cook something, but theres no reason I couldnt.

mystes posted:

There are instant pot models that get up to a higher pressure for pressure canning (instant pot max)

I think the inner pot is only designed to be used on a stove in some of the newer models (the Evo line) and they don't recommend doing it with the older ones

Its an aluminum bowl with a steel disc on the bottom, its fine to go on the stove

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

dino. posted:

My procedure for making daal is to roast the daal in the pot of the pressure cooker over the stove.

Why have I never done this before, it sounds like it would add some nice flavor.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A different opinion: I've been happy with the results of blooming spices in the Instant Pot, and I cook Indian in it pretty frequently. My major problem is recalibrating liquids in recipes to account for the fact that nothing boils off in a pressure cooker.

If you want to cook dried beans in an hour, or a stew in an hour counting prep time, the IP is a joy. It's like any other appliance: you trade off whatever convenience it offers versus the amount of convenience you get from whatever you're currently doing. I didn't use our stovetop pressure cooker, and my husband and I use the IP at least three times a week. A particular convenience for me is that you can use the IP on the dinner table, which means I can sit down during the bulk of the cooking. It's a disability thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Its an aluminum bowl with a steel disc on the bottom, its fine to go on the stove
I think the issue is that the bottom is slightly curved on the older ones, so while it's not an issue of not being able to stand up to the heat, and I guess it might work on a gas stove, I'm not sure you can get good contact with an electric stove and it might wobble around a lot.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Yeah I'm not going to do anything that you wouldn't do with a standard pressure cooker. I'm not canning, or making yogurt, or edibles. Never had any real interest in any of that even if I had time for it.

We have a slow cooker, but don't use it but maybe once or twice a year for a few specific recipes. And anyhow my understanding is that just about anything you can make in a slow cooker can be done better in a pressure cooker (unless you're holding it for service, which we don't do). Also I don't like that searing has to be done separately from the slow cooker, but that's just a minor inconvenience.

Just want to speed up stuff like stock, beans, stews, etc. and open up new cooking possibilities that would otherwise take hours of cooking and babysitting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there are a lot of times where it's just really convenient to not have a pressure cooker on a live burner you have to watch

mystes
May 31, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah I'm not going to do anything that you wouldn't do with a standard pressure cooker. I'm not canning, or making yogurt, or edibles. Never had any real interest in any of that even if I had time for it.

We have a slow cooker, but don't use it but maybe once or twice a year for a few specific recipes. And anyhow my understanding is that just about anything you can make in a slow cooker can be done better in a pressure cooker (unless you're holding it for service, which we don't do). Also I don't like that searing has to be done separately from the slow cooker, but that's just a minor inconvenience.

Just want to speed up stuff like stock, beans, stews, etc. and open up new cooking possibilities that would otherwise take hours of cooking and babysitting.
I don't think the searing function in an instant pot is that great. I usually sear stuff separately. That's just personal preference, but it's small enough that if you do want to use it you're going to have to sear stuff in batches and remove it when it's done to sear the rest, which imo kind of defeats the point.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have a good ratio for kettle corn? I figured I could probably do it in my wok outdoors, that way I dont get kettle corn all over the kitchen.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Eeyo posted:

Anybody have a good ratio for kettle corn? I figured I could probably do it in my wok outdoors, that way I don’t get kettle corn all over the kitchen.

Typically it's 1 kettle to a whole lot of corn

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ah good, i thought I was going to have to pop those suckers one by one

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I thought it was one kettle per corn. Each corn popped decreases thermal mass of the kettle and you need to reheat it. It's only efficient to have multiple kettles.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Black eyed pea recipes from outside the United States?

I really love the flavor of black eyed peas. The only recipes I know are US-based recipes. Most of the recipes are summed up as "Boil the poo poo out of it. Add pork. Optionally add something green. Drown in Crystal sauce."

Wikipedia tells me that black eyed peas are part of many cuisines all around the world: West African, Ethiopian, Indian, and more. Googling "Black Eyed Peas Recipes" only gives me southern US based recipes (maybe because I live in the southern US). Can anyone give me alternate recipes with black eyed peas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more I practice southern US cuisine (aka Soul Food aka Country Cookin'), the more disappointed I become with their vegetable dishes. This cuisine has a dozen ways to cook beef, a hundred ways to cook a chicken, and a thousand ways to cook a pig. But every vegetable dish, whether green legume or something else, is basically "Put a ham hock in water. Boil the veggie until it loses all structure. Add a shitload of hot sauce and salt."

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sleek is an amazing Syrian dish with black eye pea, kale, and onions

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've really enjoyed Akara fritters a bunch. They are really good.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Bagheera posted:

I really love the flavor of black eyed peas. The only recipes I know are US-based recipes. Most of the recipes are summed up as "Boil the poo poo out of it. Add pork. Optionally add something green. Drown in Crystal sauce."

Wikipedia tells me that black eyed peas are part of many cuisines all around the world: West African, Ethiopian, Indian, and more. Googling "Black Eyed Peas Recipes" only gives me southern US based recipes (maybe because I live in the southern US). Can anyone give me alternate recipes with black eyed peas?

The more I practice southern US cuisine (aka Soul Food aka Country Cookin'), the more disappointed I become with their vegetable dishes. This cuisine has a dozen ways to cook beef, a hundred ways to cook a chicken, and a thousand ways to cook a pig. But every vegetable dish, whether green legume or something else, is basically "Put a ham hock in water. Boil the veggie until it loses all structure. Add a shitload of hot sauce and salt."

You asked for outside the US but didn't seem to indicate that you've had a good Texas Caviar.

Uses black eyed peas, no ham, simple as heck, and usually delicious. Not sure if this is a good recipe or not but you'll get the concept:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/texas-caviar/

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Bagheera posted:

I lost the recipe and the website is gone now, so I don't have an exact recipe but I really liked one I made with fried dried chorizo rounds, chopped yellow bell pepper & onions, tomato paste, chicken stock, smoked paprika, and Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, you can leave them whole so you'll get the flavor but not much heat. Served with sweet plantains on the side.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

They're in bankruptcy restructuring, not liquidation.

Oh hey that's good news!

I'm gonna stand by my instant pot. We eat a lot of beans, and with both of us having careers, me deciding to do law school on top of that, and two babies in diapers, the thing is a life saver. Basically I can set up my instant pot for the beans, the rice cooker for the rice, and then dinner is just slapping some fresh veg from the garden with the other things no matter what time we get home.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The big advantage of an Instant Pot, IMO, is that every pressure cooker recipe these days is written for them because they were so popular. You can absolutely do them in whatever cooker you want, but all the recipes will tell you what buttons to press and the labels on your device will match. If you don't have a need that isn't addressed by an Instant Pot, you should just buy an Instant Pot.

I recently made rice in it for the first time. It was Fine(tm). You can get better results on the stovetop, but you don't have to watch it like you would with the stovetop. You can get better results, and arguably more easily, from a rice cooker, but then you have to have another appliance and the rice cooker only does one thing. I actually would like a rice cooker, because I used to have one and it was great and I miss it, but the IP does an all right job, and I have limited kitchen space that is already filled with all the other kitchen crap I have.

The IP is a good marriage of doing a lot of things well enough in a small package that also doesn't require a stove burner.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, the biggest draw of an IP is only having one thing that does a lot of things. It was a lifesaver when I was living out of a hotel room for 3 weeks for work/moving. I could make a meal instead of eating out every single night.

I find its rice cooking function to be perfectly suitable for my rice needs too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bagheera posted:

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/lobia-recipe-punjabi-lobia/

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/lobia-curry-kerala-recipe/

https://www.blendwithspices.com/lobia-sambar-bobbarla-sambar-recipe/

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Midniter posted:

I've had a stovetop pressure cooker for a long time and let me tell you, the precision of my new induction cooktop has made it absolutely automatic. Plus I can pull it off the stove and run it under cold water to get to my goodies lickety-split instead of having to wait for natural release or venting steam for 10 minutes, which I love.

This is it for me. I have Khun Rikon stovetop pressure cooker, I use it for a lot of daals and curries etc and fast risottos. With my induction hob I can get to pressure and maintain a constant pressure very easily.

It's also a big old pan as well. I made toffee popcorn in mine the other day and it was great for that. Not pressure cooked popcorn, just as a big pan.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I was going to make an on-sale corned beef into a pastrami, something Ive done a few times, but all the store had was flats and what I ended up with was 2 pieces, both incredibly lean.

Should I not waste the time and effort of smoking this (these) things and just chuck into the instant pot for corned beef, or can really lean corned beef turn into good pastrami?

Got an hour or so more soaking in weaker to de-salt before I pull the trigger.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Does anyon have a decent corned beef silog recipe for a beginner? I have already corned the beef.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone got a pig feet 101 handy? My husband wants me to cook him up some pig feet for his birthday, of all things. I'm happy to do it and it'll be an adventure for me but I've never had an opportunity before. My usual go-to of searching America's Test Kitchen and the other trusted places ain't returning results.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looks like "Trotters" and "pork feet" are both good search terms. I have no experience but I usually trust serious eats:

https://www.seriouseats.com/search?q=Trotters

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Like, what does he mean? Braise? Pickle? Roasted? All good, all very different.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BigHead posted:

Anyone got a pig feet 101 handy? My husband wants me to cook him up some pig feet for his birthday, of all things. I'm happy to do it and it'll be an adventure for me but I've never had an opportunity before. My usual go-to of searching America's Test Kitchen and the other trusted places ain't returning results.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/stuffed-pigs-trotter-recipe/amp

Pierre Koffmann essentially got 3 stars for this, it's one of the greatest dishes ever created.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I am making grilled chicken for a work event next Friday.

Can I buy the chicken, throw it in a bag with some marinade, then freeze it in said bag until next week when I'm ready to grill it?

I'd rather get everything when I go to the grocery store today than make a separate trip next week just for that.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I would freeze the chicken separately and apply the marinade closer to the time you need to cook. I dont think there is a health risk, but depending on the marinade, you may get some wonky results due to ice crystals, pH interactions, and separation of ingredients as temperatures shift.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Buy the chicken now, if it's frozen, keep it frozen; if not, separate and maybe wrap each portion in plastic, then pop it in the freezer
Take out of the freezer Tuesday before
It should be thawed by Wed night, maybe Thursday morning
Portion, drain, and then toss in marinade until Friday

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CzarChasm posted:

Buy the chicken now, if it's frozen, keep it frozen; if not, separate and maybe wrap each portion in plastic, then pop it in the freezer
Take out of the freezer Tuesday before
It should be thawed by Wed night, maybe Thursday morning
Portion, drain, and then toss in marinade until Friday

Gotcha. Good info y'all.

I'll have to move that up by a day because I'm not sure if I'll be able to grill the chicken Friday morning (the event is at noon).

Which is fine, serving it cold/chilled will actually work well with the other dishes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

36 years old and all the "cook eggs in bacon fat then put it on heavily buttered toast" and "eat all the candy all the time" is not playing well with my genetics. My basic cholesterol levels (LDL & HDL) are a bit bad but I pushed for advanced testing and I'm in the camp of "most people are mostly fine with that level of LDL but your APOB and LDL particle size means the simple LDL number hides an actually big risk" :v:

Gimme your favorite butter substitute for eggs and toast. All my other dietary changes seem straightforward enough, but I don't want to try all 47 1/2 varieties of Earth Balance & Smart Balance to find one that tastes good.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If you're serious about changing a bunch of other things, i don't think a little butter at breakfast is going to make or break anything tbh.

That being said, imo olive oil is pretty good on toast and good for cooking eggs too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah I'm trying to drop my daily baseline saturated fat so I can "afford" to have the good stuff every now and then. Going for changes that don't sacrifice much quality too, and I think oil for eggs will still be delicious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A good egg and toast breakfast is to have good bread dipped into a bowl of fresh tomatoes that you blended with olive oil and salt. Boiled egg on the side. As much as I like Vegemite on toast, this is a typical Wednesday breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A good egg and toast breakfast is to have good bread dipped into a bowl of fresh tomatoes that you blended with olive oil and salt. Boiled egg on the side. As much as I like Vegemite on toast, this is a typical Wednesday breakfast.
This, except skip the blend, and just shred the tomato against the toasted bread. Skip the olive oil and just toss a couple of sardines or anchovies on top for your fat and salt. Works best with a good chewy boule.