Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Can't find an official source on this but there's buzz going around Letterboxd that Late Night with the Devil features extensive use of AI-generated artwork.

https://letterboxd.com/da94/film/late-night-with-the-devil/

https://letterboxd.com/myxomavirus/film/late-night-with-the-devil/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

if it’s just background art and it’s low budget I’m gonna be straight honest I don’t quite care as much. It’s only super lame on movies that can actually afford to pay people a decent amount to craft background art and such.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pirate Jet posted:

Can't find an official source on this but there's buzz going around Letterboxd that Late Night with the Devil features extensive use of AI-generated artwork.

https://letterboxd.com/da94/film/late-night-with-the-devil/

https://letterboxd.com/myxomavirus/film/late-night-with-the-devil/

i mean the trailers had AI art yeah, you don't really need a source

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Well that's incredibly disappointing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

From Reddit what I hear and the goon who saw this might be able to confirm but it seemed like it was just used for the cut away graphics and maybe only one cut away, that skeleton. The rest of the film is practical

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Flying Zamboni posted:

I loved Prometheus and really liked the first 2/3 of Covenant before David took a back seat to the narrative and it turned into a more bog-standard Alien movie for the finale.

Same. Though Romulus looks like it could be a a stripped down back to basics tense little horror film. Though tense stripped down back to basics flicks don't usually have major spoilers, so maybe I'm wrong.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I wont watch any movie with that AI bullshit. Its lazy. Shame, I was really excited for this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imo to combat is give smaller films more money and big budget MCU movies no money.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If anything it's dumber that it's used for basic graphics that could have been easily 'shopped together with free stock images from Pexels. It's super easy to make a static texture. C'mon man.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha this is just a lil taste of the nightmarish future awaiting us, when we are awash in AI and all films truly are horror

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe the devil made them use ai (the devil is a producer with investments in an ai)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

If anything it's dumber that it's used for basic graphics that could have been easily 'shopped together with free stock images from Pexels. It's super easy to make a static texture. C'mon man.

Maybe. Idk. I’d like to know a little more from the filmmakers side.

It’s a hot button issue and it’s gonna get people all riled up but I do want to talk about it. I do think there might be SOME decent use for AI for low budget/no budget projects when it comes to things like background art.

But as I say this an HBO true detective show did the same thing and it was awful and stupid and that is actually lazy because they definitely had the budget.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Immaculate rules.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Immaculate rules.

heck forgot all about this but yeah looks wild and Syd Sweeny is cool as hell for pushing it over the line

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

FreudianSlippers posted:

Immaculate rules.

Got my ticket to see it on Friday, I'm glad my call that Sydney Sweeney should be in way more horror movies was right all along.

(Went to the movies to see Fight Club today since it's being re-released for its 25th anniversary. Turns out, still a drat good movie.)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 21, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

hahaha this is just a lil taste of the nightmarish future awaiting us, when we are awash in AI and all films truly are horror

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Maybe the devil made them use ai (the devil is a producer with investments in an ai)

hes speaking facts

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alf_pogs posted:

oh with minimal fanfare, the australian movie BEATEN TO DEATH was sneakily released in australia to rent on amazon prime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP_fL2otvaI

looking forward to it, i love ozsploitation and rural horror and the dark poo poo you can imagine driving around the hills south of adelaide

What a title!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

On top of all the ethical issues with AI, Late Night With the Devil is a movie that is selling itself in large part on achieving a certain aesthetic. Visibly AI title cards will absolutely gently caress up that aesthetic. Especially when that kind of production design is where you see a lot of cheap and simple but creative and very cool practical effects in actual 70s shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvXlnx-GiIQ

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its just so baffling because of anything to use AI for its these random title cards and they could have just like... probably not even 4 hours in photoshop and avoided all this backlash lol.

e: though that one review says some other stuff is in suspect too, so i guess we will have to wait and see for the full extent of AI use in this

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 21, 2024

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

That’s a huge bummer, to the point that I hope they take that poo poo out and hire a real artist before this hits steaming and a home media release.

It really bothers me because my wife is a graphic designer; it’s a challenging job that doesn’t pay what it should. You’ve got thousands of people who could put together those graphics, they’d look a shitload better, and you’d avoid this entire issue.

There are so many artists whose entire style is “vintage Halloween” so I dunno why the gently caress they went AI for this.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you're going to use AI for anything, creepy possessed background stuff is perfect for it, what a waste

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

That’s a huge bummer, to the point that I hope they take that poo poo out and hire a real artist before this hits steaming and a home media release.

It really bothers me because my wife is a graphic designer; it’s a challenging job that doesn’t pay what it should. You’ve got thousands of people who could put together those graphics, they’d look a shitload better, and you’d avoid this entire issue.

There are so many artists whose entire style is “vintage Halloween” so I dunno why the gently caress they went AI for this.

Yeah but that'd involve actually paying someone. Instead they can cut that absolute pittance in comparison to the rest of the cost of producing a movie to get something that looks worse than something whipped up in Photoshop in an hour, and they get to look like shitheads for doing it!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Please think of the poor people writing the checks for making movies possible. They only have so much money

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like just so people know the level of quality we are talking about here

rewatching the trailer i am also a bit suspicious of the night owls logo that is in the background of a lot of shots, i would need a better look at it

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah but that'd involve actually paying someone. Instead they can cut that absolute pittance in comparison to the rest of the cost of producing a movie to get something that looks worse than something whipped up in Photoshop in an hour, and they get to look like shitheads for doing it!

That’s the shittiest part. If people don’t go see this movie it won’t affect the producers at all. Instead, some idiot at a studio will go “well, that David Dastmalchian just isn’t a star” or “people don’t want to see period pieces like this” and we’ll just get some poo poo like Night Swim or Imaginary.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Please think of the poor people writing the checks for making movies possible. They only have so much money

I know you’re making a joke but for indie things this isn’t really a diss.

I don’t know the inner workings but I know psycho goreman cost less than a million Canadian and they cannot get anyone to give them that much or more for the sequel. And Steve doesn’t want to pay people Pennies again.

He said this at the q&a I went too so it wasn’t some secret thing I was told. But that’s basically why there hasn’t been a sequel yet.

Movie making is bullshit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Snooze Cruise posted:

rewatching the trailer i am also a bit suspicious of the night owls logo that is in the background of a lot of shots, i would need a better look at it

lol that is not subtle. I was actually planning on seeing this in the theater on Friday.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i’m going to choose to believe the entire movie is ai generated unless proven otherwise

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i’m going to choose to believe the entire movie is ai generated unless proven otherwise

That's the other part of it too. Once one part of the movie is touched by it, everything else becomes suspect. If you're willing to outsource the cheap, easy bits like still illustrations, presumably you've at least considered using it for the script or the score or any other number of things.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That's the other part of it too. Once one part of the movie is touched by it, everything else becomes suspect. If you're willing to outsource the cheap, easy bits like still illustrations, presumably you've at least considered using it for the script or the score or any other number of things.

the wily wonka experience effect

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Immaculate rules.

Seeing it on Saturday, I shall report back as well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Happy to see a negative response to AI from this thread. That artist-stealing bullshit has no place in film imo.

What's even more scary is we're starting to see its use in the funeral industry. Most of my job is embalming but my coworkers who create the Prayer cards/memorial cards/memorial videos talk about the boss looking into using AI to create them. These are handmade with great care and attention to detail and the family/decedent's wishes and it breaks my heart that the boss is considering having AI do it.

Please dont go see Late Night With The Devil. Please dont let this bullshit infiltrate film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm still gonna watch the movie. But if the creators are opposed to paying for things, who am I to blow against the wind?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm still gonna watch the movie. But if the creators are opposed to paying for things, who am I to blow against the wind?

I can tell you who you ARENT: A human being who wants genuine artists to create movies and avoid stealing from real hardworking people to create soulless bullshit that nobody likes so executives can maximize profit

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

lol jfc

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

There's nearly unlimited artists out there already drawing retro spooky skeletons for free, just throw a couple dollars at them and get something better

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

I can tell you who you ARENT: A human being who wants genuine artists to create movies and avoid stealing from real hardworking people to create soulless bullshit that nobody likes so executives can maximize profit

No I meant I was gonna watch it without paying for it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I am just really bad at spotting AI I guess (or was back in October) but that title card is pretty egregious. That just makes me feel sad because there's so much cool poo poo and great performances in LNWTD that they seem to have undercut with this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Im not gonna lie there is a 0% chance I would have noticed that was AI if I didn’t read this thread.

I apologize.