Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah cook eggs in liquid that isn't fat. Poach, coddle, boil, stew, etc. For chilaquiles (and a poo poo ton of other stuff) you can cook the eggs in the sauce at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Scoss posted:

pizza dough

If anyone was curious, I took a stab myself at this recipe and a few changes massively improved the result.

I did a double sized batch from the recipe amounts, but I further doubled the amount of yeast, so ~2g for ~400g flour.

I let the dough cold rise in the fridge for two and a half days (instead of overnight at room temp as recipe instructions)

I divided it into three and made dough balls, letting them proof at room temp 2 hours before baking (instead of 45 minutes as recipe instructions)

Baking steel on the bottom rack instead of the second highest rack (I figure the gas burner is below the floor of the oven so it's hotter down there). Same 550 temp as before.

It was my first time hand-shaping whole pizzas instead of using a pan, so I was a bit clumsy and inconsistent, but overall there was great oven spring, tremendously improved bubbly/chewy texture while still having "leopard spots" on the crust and good browning around the edge.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 21, 2024

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Soft boiled eggs with soldiers

Bit of salt, bit of chili, no need for butter

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks everyone

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
With AI absolutely destroying recipe websites, I no longer know who to trust so I've been trying to collect reference books about everything. Can anyone recommend a recipe book that has just a good selection of modern western staples?

The case in point, I have a vegan waffle recipe from before AI, but I'm kind of tired of it and wouldn't mind trying a non-vegan waffle recipe. What kind of a cookbook has waffles in it but isn't like, "750 waffle recipes for a happy Belgian hubby"?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Scoss posted:

Baking steel on the bottom rack instead of the second highest rack (I figure the gas burner is below the floor of the oven so it's hotter down there). Same 550 temp as before.

I seem to recall that there was some debate over where to put a pizza stone or steel. Some people (including me) say put it low, so that it is closer to the heat source. Others think that putting it high is best, because the stone is still going to be super hot after spending an hour at 500, so by putting it near the ceiling, you also get heat reflecting off there to brown the top. The second method (in theory) is closer to a traditional, shallow, pizza oven.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

tuyop posted:

With AI absolutely destroying recipe websites, I no longer know who to trust so I've been trying to collect reference books about everything. Can anyone recommend a recipe book that has just a good selection of modern western staples?

The case in point, I have a vegan waffle recipe from before AI, but I'm kind of tired of it and wouldn't mind trying a non-vegan waffle recipe. What kind of a cookbook has waffles in it but isn't like, "750 waffle recipes for a happy Belgian hubby"?

If you want to cast a wide net, the America's Test Kitchen cookbooks are good, and you can usually find them in a used book store for a reasonable price.

Joy of Cooking was a classic when I was growing up, and they do keep updating it, so it's probably still pretty solid.

I personally have How to Cook Everything, which I'm pretty happy with, at least in terms of basics. It doesn't make the best version of anything, but it will tell you how to make a serviceable version.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

tuyop posted:

Joy of Cooking is among the best selling cookbooks of all time, and has been around (and updated) for decades. That probably deserves a look, at a minimum, for Western reference recipes. Another option is to find a couple websites that have actual recipe creators putting content up for them. Bon Apetit and Serious Eats immediately come to mind, although the former does require a subscription. Lastly, while I have a strong preference for just a written recipe and not a time consuming video (unless there is technique involved), Youtube isn't a terrible resource either. It will take a bit of effort to figure out who you like, but there are a ton of Foodtubers out there of varying quality, you may find some value in that. I know I've pulled a few recipes off of various people there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

If you want to cast a wide net, the America's Test Kitchen cookbooks are good, and you can usually find them in a used book store for a reasonable price.

Joy of Cooking was a classic when I was growing up, and they do keep updating it, so it's probably still pretty solid.

I personally have How to Cook Everything, which I'm pretty happy with, at least in terms of basics. It doesn't make the best version of anything, but it will tell you how to make a serviceable version.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Joy of Cooking is among the best selling cookbooks of all time, and has been around (and updated) for decades. That probably deserves a look, at a minimum, for Western reference recipes. Another option is to find a couple websites that have actual recipe creators putting content up for them. Bon Apetit and Serious Eats immediately come to mind, although the former does require a subscription. Lastly, while I have a strong preference for just a written recipe and not a time consuming video (unless there is technique involved), Youtube isn't a terrible resource either. It will take a bit of effort to figure out who you like, but there are a ton of Foodtubers out there of varying quality, you may find some value in that. I know I've pulled a few recipes off of various people there.

So fast! Thank you both. I’ll keep an eye out for joy of cooking stuff! I think I’d totally forgotten about that series.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Agreed on America’s Test Kitchen. Their giant book will get you through all the “I want to make a waffle / spice cookie / lasagna / pot roast / biscuit but I don’t know how.” I’ve never had a fail with a first-time recipe. And then you can play with leaving out a step, adding more seasonings, etc.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For staples I have Larousse Gastronomique but also Leiths which is good . Not so much for recipes but 'I wonder how I do X' and they're good for that.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 21, 2024

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Your local library has cookbooks, they’re free and you can just take pics of interesting recipes on your phone.

E: don’t get me wrong I have dozens of cookbooks on my shelves. But if I was starting from scratch today I’d be utilizing free resources that I can feel certain were not created by a text generation algorithm.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah I'm trying to drop my daily baseline saturated fat so I can "afford" to have the good stuff every now and then. Going for changes that don't sacrifice much quality too, and I think oil for eggs will still be delicious.

Welcome to the struggle, brother. You may know a lot of this already, but as someone with a 10 year head start on the same issues, I'll post this for anyone who doesn't.

If you're frying eggs (or anything else), avocado oil is the high-temp oil of choice for high heat applications. Avocado oil is also mostly flavor neutral, so it is decent to use in baking or other applications where olive oil's flavor might clash with the recipe.

Both olive oil and avocado are high monounsaturated fat oils and can be swapped 1:1 with each other in a nutritional health sense, just pick whichever one has the flavor or cooking properties you need and go for it. Both are relatively inexpensive and easy to get. A lot of medical/nutrition literature says to use canola oil for cooking, and there's nothing wrong with canola oil; but if we look at the constituent fats it doesn't really have any "better" fats than avocado or olive oil, and it can get weird flavors when exposed to high heat, even if it doesn't smoke.

A lot of people read "monounsaturated" and "polyunsaturated" and automatically think polyunsaturated is better. "Poly" means more, and more = better, right? But that's not the case. For lipids in serum and cholesterol purposes, monounsaturated fat is what we want unless we're talking specifically about omega-3 polyunsaturated fats. The single double-bonded carbon in a monounsaturated fat changes the angle of the molecule and makes it very difficult to "stack" with other fats in a larger triglyceride molecule like saturated fat does. Multiple double-bonded carbons in polyunsaturated fats actually make them friendlier to stack with saturated fat because the saturated carbon molecules can still pivot on each other and the sum of the angle changes tends to "flatten them out" so to speak.

Omega-3 polyunsaturated fats in the form of DHA, EPA, and ALA are the exceptions to the rule. We can't use ALA directly, but it gets converted to DHA and EPA in the liver at about 15% efficiency and is otherwise not harmful. DHA and EPA get sourced directly from fatty fishes like salmon or cod, or you can use fish oil. For the most part, omega-3's get used directly by our cell membranes, but there is some evidence that they help slow down triglyceride formation and tip the balance toward HDL and away from LDL. Flax oil is really the only commonly available vegetable oil with a significant portion of omega-3.

If you're looking for an animal fat that is higher in monounsaturated fat, then lard from pasture raised pork and schmaltz from free-range chickens is generally closer to a 1:1 ratio of saturated:monounsaturated. I'm not saying you can completely swap out to that and pretend that everything will be okay, but if you're looking to treat yo' self occasionally and not worry too hard about it, you can do a lot worse.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tuyop posted:

Escoffier: The Complete Guide to the Art of Modern Cookery

Your Home Izakaya: Fun and Simple Recipes Inspired by the Drinking-and-Dining Dens of Japan

Are some of my favorites.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

The ATK cookbooks are great. The Joy of Cooking is great. Personally, I have gotten more use out of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook than any other. If you are looking for staple recipes that you can easy to modify for the ingredients you have on hand, it’s tops.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Weltlich posted:

Welcome to the struggle, brother. You may know a lot of this already, but as someone with a 10 year head start on the same issues, I'll post this for anyone who doesn't.

The science was interesting, but could you speak about the other bit? How do you feel in yourself, are you measurably healthier, more content, why you started the process, where you are now, that kind of thing. If you don't like talking about yourself, that's no problem.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This is halfway a YLLS question, but - I need to change up my dessert strategy.

After dinner, like many people, I have a desire to eat something sweet. The problem is that when I have something like ice cream (even the low cal stuff), cookies, or pie in the house, I can get a little crazy with it and very quickly I can justify getting seconds or thirds. I don't have a weight problem as a result, but the sugar does disrupt my sleep and I can wake up feeling crappy and bloated.

One thing to do is just go cold turkey and get used to no sugar after meals. Maybe that's the way to go, but I'm interested in either making or buying a kind of dessert that is only lightly sweet and frankly, maybe not even very good so I don't eat too much of it. Just a little bit of sugar to scratch that itch. Any suggestions?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Fruit + yoghurt

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have one ice cream sandwich after dinner, but during the day I eat chunks of melon from the grocery store to soothe my sweet tooth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Diet soda

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

tuyop posted:

Prue Leith's Cookery Bible by Caroline Waldegrave & Prue Leith
A Cook’s Book by Nigel Slater

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

After dinner, like many people, I have a desire to eat something sweet. The problem is that when I have something like ice cream (even the low cal stuff), cookies, or pie in the house, I can get a little crazy with it and very quickly I can justify getting seconds or thirds. I don't have a weight problem as a result, but the sugar does disrupt my sleep and I can wake up feeling crappy and bloated.

One thing to do is just go cold turkey and get used to no sugar after meals. Maybe that's the way to go, but I'm interested in either making or buying a kind of dessert that is only lightly sweet and frankly, maybe not even very good so I don't eat too much of it. Just a little bit of sugar to scratch that itch. Any suggestions?

Maybe dark chocolate? I love the stuff, but I can't eat too much in one sitting - it satisfies the sweet tooth without sending me back for too much more.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Oh as well as Leiths a new one for me is Salt Fat Acid Heat which is another good technique book.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tuyop posted:

The Better Homes & Gardens ones is okay for general unfussy recipes. I like the waffle recipe, but I add some vanilla and a little cinnamon in the batter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Maybe dark chocolate? I love the stuff, but I can't eat too much in one sitting - it satisfies the sweet tooth without sending me back for too much more.

Dark chocolate and fruit are both good. It's also not a bad idea to cold turkey on the sugar for a little while just to kind of reset your expectations for sweet.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Organizations that you trust for humane treatment of animals?

I had a business selling bacon (and jarred bacon jam). Business was a failure, but I learned a lot[/u] about farming pigs. It drat near made me a vegetarian (see this video about gestation crates. It's not one of those gory videos that PETA puts out all the time. It's a promotional video from a pork breeder's association showing how [i]amazing gestation crates are. I found it pretty disturbing.

I still eat meat, but I eat less of it. And I pay extra for humanely-treated meat. I usually look for labels from Certified Humane. That group publishes their standards online and seem to be legit.

Are there humane standards orgs you look for? Or orgs that are known for slack enforcement?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Re: Cookbooks. I agree that The Joy of Cooking is the best "intro to cooking" book for general American/European cooking. It has a tremendous reference on common foods and coking techniques.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The Food Lab and The Flavor Bible are good technique books.

All Under Heaven for Chinese food as well.

Besides those the cookbooks I tend to reference most are I'm Just Here for the Food (Alton), the Noma Guide to Fermentation, and Joy of Cooking

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Has anyone gotten solahs yet? There is always JPs technique

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Your local library has cookbooks, they’re free and you can just take pics of interesting recipes on your phone.

E: don’t get me wrong I have dozens of cookbooks on my shelves. But if I was starting from scratch today I’d be utilizing free resources that I can feel certain were not created by a text generation algorithm.

Good tip right here. I need to get back on my list of library cookbooks. It’s amazing what you can find. Everything from Larousse Gastronomique to Prison Ramen.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m like this (like eating an entire sleeve of Oreos in one night) and I fixed it by going cold turkey, not buying any sweets and eventually the cravings subsided and went away and now I’m a “I don’t really like sweets” person because they make me feel like poo poo. I’m healthier for it, but the fact that I changed to having dessert only on a handful of special occasions out of social obligation did piss off some people in my life, similar to when I quit drinking entirely.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't usually eat sweats because I like to eat a lot more volume than is healthy for something of that nature. Popcorn or something along those lines works better for me for an after dinner snack.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

tuyop posted:

Serious eats and Americas test kitchen’s business model is extensively testing recipes before they are published, so those hopefully are never getting enshitified by AI.

You can also try looking up if any of your favorite restaurants have published cookbooks. Some of my favorite recipes are from those.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

kreeningsons posted:

Serious eats and Americas test kitchen’s business model is extensively testing recipes before they are published, so those hopefully are never getting enshitified by AI.

You can also try looking up if any of your favorite restaurants have published cookbooks. Some of my favorite recipes are from those.
Seconding Joy, between that and cooks illustrated you should have a good amount of coverage. For waffles, soul food cookbooks generally have a waffle recipe; I've been using this recipe from Tonya Holland's Brown Sugar Kitchen cookbook for a couple years now. Sunset, serious eats, and the NYT food section are all solid and reliable online sources as well.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I was interviewed by Kevin Kelly (:w00t:) and he asked a question which gets to the heart of this conversation. I was sharing my Cool Tools and one was eatyourbooks, which is a cookbook and recipe blog index. It lets me search only my cookbooks and my trusted blogs / online magazines for recipes or ingredients.

He asked why I don't just use Google or chatgpt. I said what we all are dancing around here - that picking your recipe source is a lot of success or failure, especially when you start out.

I don't think he was implying that Google or AI is superior / easier, mind you. I think he was just teeing me up, because he's a good interviewer :)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

tuyop posted:

Yeah this is what I have Joy of Cooking for and it's pretty perfect for that. The most recent, updated one is really great, it is where I turn if I need just the bog standard basics and don't have another, more specialty book in mind.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

BrianBoitano posted:

I was interviewed by Kevin Kelly (:w00t:) and he asked a question which gets to the heart of this conversation. I was sharing my Cool Tools and one was eatyourbooks, which is a cookbook and recipe blog index. It lets me search only my cookbooks and my trusted blogs / online magazines for recipes or ingredients.

He asked why I don't just use Google or chatgpt. I said what we all are dancing around here - that picking your recipe source is a lot of success or failure, especially when you start out.

I don't think he was implying that Google or AI is superior / easier, mind you. I think he was just teeing me up, because he's a good interviewer :)

Why is the guy from Wired asking a figure skater about food? I'd guess just curious what a pro skaters diet is like and how to manage it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I was as surprised as you, but the serious answer is that he interviews any schmuck who wants to get nerdy on any 4 tools, as long as they're unique vs his back catalog. and I'm not the real Brian Boitano, I was just a dumb college kid who liked the south park movie. I sincerely apologize, as I now know how serious identity theft can be

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Re sweet tooth

This is a dumb question, but are you eating enough food at dinner? Not full to bursting but full enough that you’re satiated? After eating a satisfying meal, I cannot imagine myself reaching for several sweets. Same goes for my fiancée. He’s got a sweet tooth a mile wide. If he eats a proper dinner, he’ll have like one or two cookies or a piece of hard candy or a small handful of chocolate chips. If he’s sort of had something not very filling, he’ll go in on the cookie jar.

Yes, a 3 week sugar ban will help you reset your taste buds and get your body used to less of the sugar in your diet. When you come back, you realise quite how overly sweet most desserts are, and can reach for healthier options without feeling deprived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Butterfly Valley posted:

Fruit + yoghurt
This is the One True after dinner sweet tooth solution, imo.

I used to smoke way too much weed and got into a horrible habit of munching whatever cheap, sweet crap was on special offer under the guise of 'pudding' (uhh dessert). When I stopped being such a wastrel, I found I still had bad sweet tooth habits... but this got loads better after switching to fruit/yoghurt or, my usual go-to, fruity yoghurt. It's sweet enough to sate the sweet craving, decently 'nutritious' compared to a sugary sugar lump o' sugar, and you can easily find something nice that isn't super high calorie.

Then on Sundays we have 'special Sunday pudding' like a little cheesecake or some bakery cookies or whatever. I think letting go of the choice being binary between all sugar all the time and no sugar ever was useful. Diet chat so often descends into prescriptive bullshit, whereas actual success comes from finding a balance.