Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

To be totally fair you'd think this should start getting a little rarer as we get to end game. It's one thing for a single island arc like Dressrosa or Wano to introduce a bunch of characters who have an investment in this specific island and need their own cathartic moments. As we approach the end it makes less sense to introduce new people on a per arc basis unless they have a bigger connection with the fate of the world at large (the flip side of this is that presumably characters like Vivi and the Grand Fleet will start showing up more)
It's funny, I almost felt like Egghead had too few people on it to feel alive. There's a whole island full of scientists, but we just get to meet one guy... over and over again. It's just Vegapunks and Sentomaru living on this island.

That's not to the arc's detriment- enough other people have shown up to make this really intricate and fun, and the Vegapunks alone were a lot to give character to this island, but it is kind of funny how much we haven't gotten a sense of what life on this island is like, compared to Dressrossa or Wano or anything. We got to meet more random island residents on Punk Hazard with Brownbeard and all Caesar's weird minions, and that island was supposed to be abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Egghead Island really does feel empty, i actually thought the researchers were clones or robots until I re-read the beginning of the arc because of how inconsequential they seem. Very unlike Oda.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
When Yamato ducked actually joining the crew I just accepted in my heart that he'd be part of the grand fleet instead. I just assume the cover story ends with Bartolomeo showing up in Wano by coincidence and Yamato taking over the second ship of hte fleet (because they're all too starstruck by him)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

you guys need more faith

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Yamato won’t join the crew directly but will absolutely sail with the straw hats. Believe it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Vivi 2...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems the break is due to Toriyama’s sudden passing. Oda is in mourning and needs to take care of his mental health. Hope he’s okay

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1770646548214612051?s=20

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

poor guy

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Wish Oda all the best

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Idk what it would do to Japan's economy but I think it would be rad if Oda took a year off and just made One Piece at his own pace to build up a nice backlog of chapters.

Which he'd then immediately release all at once because he wants all of us on the same page as him, that scamp.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some translations make it sound like it's because of Toriyama, but I think he's actually saying "the recent death of Toriyama might cause people to overly worry about this, but I'm not sick or anything. I'm just doing some self-maintenance."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Whatever the case, he's right to be looking after himself, and I'd much rather he took plentiful breaks rather than trying to force himself to keep to a weekly schedule, much as I'd love to read one every week.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wonder what'll be more painful: Vegapunk starts the stream proper in the last page or if the chapter ends 3~ minutes before it starts

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I read oda's letter and couldnt remember who that guy who looks like a clover is. Somehow I figured it out.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Robin being drawn with Saul and Clover is adding a lot of fuel to my "Robin is with Saul" theory

Waffleman_ posted:

Some translations make it sound like it's because of Toriyama, but I think he's actually saying "the recent death of Toriyama might cause people to overly worry about this, but I'm not sick or anything. I'm just doing some self-maintenance."
Correct

https://x.com/newworldartur/status/1770766923250241927?s=20

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Oda be like "oh poo poo I gotta actually figure out what the One Piece is pretty soon"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

where da chapter

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Which is fair because being a mangaka seems to take years off your life.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

where da chapter
you have like 500 unread chapters you could be looking at right now

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Star Platinum posted:

Oda be like "oh poo poo I gotta actually figure out what the One Piece is pretty soon"

The One Piece is just a bathing suit, but like, a really good one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

you have like 500 unread chapters you could be looking at right now

haha....yeah

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

where da chapter

It's still only Thursday...

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Friday?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvqYRe5Tfjo

:unsmith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1770856626498437209?s=20

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yamato will be revealed as the narrator at the end

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Perhaps but my theory is that the narrator is Sabo because his dream is to write a book

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kild posted:

Yamato will be revealed as the narrator at the end

that would be lovely

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

If Oda actually doesn't know what it is at this point, he is the world's greatest improv artist. I don't know if I would be more impressed if he knew it from the start or still doesn't.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think he's not being entirely serious with that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the creator of one piece would never make jokes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the one piece is real

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oddium posted:

the one piece is real

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

oddium posted:

the one piece is real

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

oddium posted:

the one piece is real

https://youtu.be/Av7XMTdTwFE?si=sIrEgXdYzEkvPVgQ

Edit: superior version https://youtu.be/wxsGDRGLFJg?si=izdc139eFrBn8vo-

Best version https://youtu.be/gWo12TtN9Kk?si=c2IkXo8IepwGlrVD

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 21, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
can we get much higher

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

can we get much higher

I can’t find that version :argh:

Edit never mind I finally found it yay, will edit it into the original post

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I can’t find that version :argh:

Edit never mind I finally found it yay, will edit it into the original post

hahaha when it cuts to Law and then chopper i always laugh

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

hahaha when it cuts to Law and then chopper i always laugh

I had just binged Better Call Saul when it came out so it was basically the funniest thing in the entire world at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

oddium posted:

the one piece is real

one piece of poo poo!