Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Groke posted:

I have a paperback of this from the early 90s (so about a decade after it came out). As is customary, it has a bunch of quotes from reviewers on the inside of the cover; as is less customary, only about half of them are like "A strong debut novel from a promising young writer" while the other half are all "This is sick filth and what sad times are these when a formerly reputable publishing house puts its name on something like this; the author needs to have his head examined".

And then. There was one. Which went like "This is completely mid and unremarkable and kind of boring". I always WONDERED about that last reviewer.

I also found The Wasp Factory to be mid and boring, although I am not that reviewer. I got to the denouement and thought "is that it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FPyat posted:

RIP to Vernor Vinge, may he be read by generations to come.

Quietly one of the most important people in SF history. Wish he'd been more prolific but Deepness in the Sky and Fire Upon the Deep are in the pantheon.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's a real trip seeing Wolfe name-drop him in The Fifth Head of Cerberus all the way back in 1972.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Are there any good books making use of the idea of an "infohazard"? Seems like fun conceptual fodder for some sci-fi.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

trip9 posted:

Are there any good books making use of the idea of an "infohazard"? Seems like fun conceptual fodder for some sci-fi.

There Is No Antimemetics Division, go, now, grab this if you haven’t already!

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Kestral posted:

There Is No Antimemetics Division, go, now, grab this if you haven’t already!

Oh nice, I didn't realize there was an "official" SCP book. Seems perfect as someone who loves the idea of SCP but hasn't read many of them because I didn't want to take the time trying to figure out which were the good ones.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

trip9 posted:

Exordia makes use of the concept.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

trip9 posted:

*learnedly* Infinite Jest

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

trip9 posted:

The Bye Bye Man

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

trip9 posted:

Oh nice, I didn't realize there was an "official" SCP book. Seems perfect as someone who loves the idea of SCP but hasn't read many of them because I didn't want to take the time trying to figure out which were the good ones.

If you end up liking it, the author has several other novels and quite a bit of short fiction, and it’s excellent. Fine Structure is one of the best Big Ideas Sci-Fi novels I’ve across in a long time.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

General Battuta posted:

The Bye Bye Man

I had to google this to make sure I wasn't getting it mixed up with The Gray Man (bad), The Tall Man (bad), or The Empty Man (good).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seems there's a Third Man missing on that list

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

General Battuta posted:

The Bye Bye Man

Don't Think It Don't Say It Don't Watch It

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Jedit posted:

I also found The Wasp Factory to be mid and boring, although I am not that reviewer. I got to the denouement and thought "is that it?"

It was probably more shocking in 84 when it was first published.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

trip9 posted:

Snow Crash.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

zoux posted:

Quietly one of the most important people in SF history. Wish he'd been more prolific but Deepness in the Sky and Fire Upon the Deep are in the pantheon.

And if not for those, he would be well remembered for Marooned in Realtime. And various short stories.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kestral posted:

If you end up liking it, the author has several other novels and quite a bit of short fiction, and it’s excellent. Fine Structure is one of the best Big Ideas Sci-Fi novels I’ve across in a long time.

Reminder that the same person also created Hatetris, the Tetris variant where you always get the worst possible piece.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

trip9 posted:

Maybe John Brunner's The Shockwave Rider?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Red Country (First Law) by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076DEJMO/

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

The Cosmic Puppets by Philip K Dick - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVQZFM/

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ulmont posted:

Let me agree with all of this except the conclusion and say that the first few Garrett PI books are great even if they are clearly following Rex Stout beat for beat.

There’s a point in the series where Garrett’s Goodwin plus noir detective persona breaks down that does some interesting things before falling victim to Cook’s interest in anime. Also his butler/cook Dean is absolutely a Fritz-type character.

Cook’s Dread Empire series is of some interest, especially if you like the Malazan books, and I believe Passage at Arms and The Dragon Never Sleeps have been mentioned. Darkwar is a very different kind of series and pretty grim. The Starfisher series goes in some strange directions but I do find myself wondering if it’s a secret influence on some sci-fi authors you wouldn’t think read Glen Cook’s sci-fi.

The Swordbearer is a strange stand-alone that has obvious signs of both Black Company and Dread Empire without quite being either, and which reads as almost half-finished to me (though it does resolve). And the Instrumentalities of the Night series is a rambling alternate Earth history fantasy series that expects you’re familiar with the European Middle Ages and plays all kinds of historical clever tricks. Interesting concepts but it feels like it ends before Cook was ready for it to end.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

trip9 posted:

There is No Antimemetics Division.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

And if not for those, he would be well remembered for Marooned in Realtime. And various short stories.

And if not for that, then for defining and popularising the AI singularity back in '83. Not the first use of the term in a futurological context, but AFAIK the first to use it specifically wrt intelligence rather than in more than a technologically general sense.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Narsham posted:

the Instrumentalities of the Night series is a rambling alternate Earth history fantasy series that expects you’re familiar with the European Middle Ages and plays all kinds of historical clever tricks. Interesting concepts but it feels like it ends before Cook was ready for it to end.

…that’s because Cook ended it abruptly after the series didn’t sell like the publisher wanted. A shame as it was good and I think needed two more books to really wrap up well.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

trip9 posted:

I had to google this to make sure I wasn't getting it mixed up with The Gray Man (bad), The Tall Man (bad), or The Empty Man (good).

I fuckin loved The Empty Man, seriously underrated. But don't actually watch Bye Bye Man, take this poster's advice

StonecutterJoe posted:

Don't Think It Don't Say It Don't Watch It

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Empty Man was a crazy surprise. So good.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fumblemouse posted:

And if not for that, then for defining and popularising the AI singularity back in '83. Not the first use of the term in a futurological context, but AFAIK the first to use it specifically wrt intelligence rather than in more than a technologically general sense.

Also for True Names and its influence on cyberpunk and online spaces more generally.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

trip9 posted:

The Quantum Thief series, kinda.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ulmont posted:

…that’s because Cook ended it abruptly after the series didn’t sell like the publisher wanted. A shame as it was good and I think needed two more books to really wrap up well.

I also think he may have written himself into the weeds with where things had gotten by the end of the fourth book. I really liked them though. If you want more Glen Cook, they're some pretty drat good Glen Cook novels.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks for all the good infohazard recs.

I have another question as well: How does The House of Open Wounds hold up as a standalone? The concept sounds awesome and I generally really enjoy Tchaikovsky but I’ve unfortunately heard City of Last Chances isn’t especially great.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

trip9 posted:

Dave Langford's Blit shorts:

BLIT: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/blit.htm
comp.basilisk FAQ: https://ansible.uk/writing/c-b-faq.html
What Happened at Cambridge IV: https://archive.org/details/digitaldreams0000unse/page/6/mode/1up?view=theater
Different Kinds of Darkness: https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/different-kinds-of-darkness/

xiw fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 22, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Exordia makes use of the concept.

yeah I just read exordia and have a (positive) rant marinating, it's definitely in the basket of Books Wot Have Infohazards

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If they don't gently caress that's urban fantasy
I assure you, there's a lot of loving in urban fantasy.

trip9 posted:

Snow Crash, and if all the tropes seem familiar to you, that's because it's among the earliest cyberpunk works. It's also quite funny.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I thought Snow Crash came out several years after the initial rush of cyberpunk had burnt itself out?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

trip9 posted:

I have another question as well: How does The House of Open Wounds hold up as a standalone? The concept sounds awesome and I generally really enjoy Tchaikovsky but I’ve unfortunately heard City of Last Chances isn’t especially great.

City of Last Chances falls short of great, but lands in "pretty darn good". That said, CoLC is setup and worldbuilding for The House of Open Wounds, but I wouldn't say it's essential to enjoying THoOW. I'd personally recommend reading both, but no, you won't be missing anything absolutely essential by skipping CoLC.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Snow Crash is a parody of the dumbest cyberpunk poo poo while also being the dumbest cyberpunk poo poo. I love it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

FPyat posted:

I thought Snow Crash came out several years after the initial rush of cyberpunk had burnt itself out?

More like it marked the end of that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I don't love the attention paid to the sexuality of underage YT. That combined with the unnecessary sexual assault of the protagonist in The Diamond Age made me get a bit frowny about Neal Stephenson's stuff.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

trip9 posted:

Thanks for all the good infohazard recs.

I actually accidentally read The House of Open Wounds as standalone because I didn't realize there was a prior book until halfway through, and even then it didn't really seem to matter. It didn't detract from the book in my opinion.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Groke posted:

More like it marked the end of that.

I think FPyat has it better. Stephenson wasn't one of the original "cyberpunks" who featured in Sterling's Mirrorshades collection, and I don't think you should count him amongst the second generation of cyberpunks either since stuff like Street Lethal, Dr. Adder, and Hardwired is all from the early to mid 80s. Gibson finishes the Sprawl trilogy in 1988 with Mona Lisa Overdrive, and Shirley finishes the other big cyberpunk trilogy with Eclipse Corona in 1990.

I think if you want to put a date on the end of the first wave of cyberpunk, it should be 1990, the year Gibson and Sterling publish The Difference Engine and turn their attention away from the genre for a bit. Snow Crash is better placed in the second wave of cyberpunk that springs up in the 90s alongside the early commercial growth of the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok I went and read scholomance

I'm mad that it was really good

Naomi Novik is a really good fanfic writer and I don't know how to feel about that