Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

y'know this irritates me too and there's apparently an anime schedule api that updates faster than senpai does and has oauth support for saving poo poo so i might go about solving this issue

what are you (or anyone else who uses schedule sites like this) looking for that's not being met by what's out there?

mostly just kinda like, a way to only have specific shows show up in an actual calendar format and filter out the rest, rather than just marking off i'm watching em. so something akin to the calendar format on senpai i suppose but that actually updates earlier, can only include shows i want in it, and also tells me what dang episode # is airing

e: maybe if i make an acc on senpai it can let me do that but i'm lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

mostly just kinda like, a way to only have specific shows show up in an actual calendar format and filter out the rest, rather than just marking off i'm watching em. so something akin to the calendar format on senpai i suppose but that actually updates earlier, can only include shows i want in it, and also tells me what dang episode # is airing

e: maybe if i make an acc on senpai it can let me do that but i'm lazy

senpai's also doing some like wack thing where it wants your mal login otherwise it just saves info in cookies.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

y'know this irritates me too and there's apparently an anime schedule api that updates faster than senpai does and has oauth support for saving poo poo so i might go about solving this issue

what are you (or anyone else who uses schedule sites like this) looking for that's not being met by what's out there?

tbh i basically just want senpai that updates earlier and keeps up with changes that happen after the initial data load (ie, bravern is on crunchyroll but not according to senpai). the mal integration isn't terrible, but i'd be down for a non-mal way to mark what i wanna see and not. showing which ep it's on and how many remain would be rad too, or marking when an ep is the finale, or marking airdate and finale date or something.

i think i prefer the way senpai organizes shows by season than the way livechart handles things by real world date, but it might still be nice to be able to include shows from last/next season which are currently airing in some dynamic fashion? I'm not sure how to elegantly design something like this to be, like, usable, but hey.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

senpai's also doing some like wack thing where it wants your mal login otherwise it just saves info in cookies.

saw that and there is the Organize option to drag and drop the shows i'm watching, but it doesn't really like...do anything that i can see. like at all

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh, hey, it's now Wednesday. Wonder what's gonna happen on Metallic Rouge this time.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

not me manually putting 8 reminders in my phone to go off on a specific day once a week, no sirree

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

That sounds more like Superliminal messaging.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i have ep one locked and loaded for tomorrow, trust

also since when was Shin Yaranai Ka getting an OVA next season

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So you're saying MyGO is actually good? I kind of fell off the bang wagon around Morfonica.
Does it do something interesting to shake up the "teenage girls form a band" story?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

So you're saying MyGO is actually good? I kind of fell off the bang wagon around Morfonica.
Does it do something interesting to shake up the "teenage girls form a band" story?
It is still a story about teenage girls forming a band, technically, but it's much more focused on giving the characters actual drama and stakes in a way that resolves in a very non-standard way for the series, largely focused around a failed previous band. The characters actually are assholes to each other and they don't like, apologize for it and completely change their personalities and become 'nice' or anything, their flaws are taken as part of who they are and not everything resolves cleanly. It's neat. If you liked the bit of drama with tae and raise a suilen in the earlier anime it's a lot like that arc, just more consistently executed and not as at odds with the series around it. And obviously blown out to the whole show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i think the best summary of mygos tone imo is when the one who caused like half the drama cops to it and admits shes manipulative and the protag's response is just 'oh, you're normal. like you were so nice i was scared of you. so im really glad you're normal.' no making her apologize, not even really treating it as a bad thing that much, literally just making fun of her a bit and then saying its a really normal thing for a teenage girl to be kinda manipulative when it comes to drama. cool moment. cool show. ftw.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Lord Koth posted:

Highspeed Etoile is annoying me for some reason (aside from the multiple instances of bad animation in the PV), but I can't quite place my finger on why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU1rTET0n5c

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

nielsm posted:

IIRC it won best anime of 2023 here on ADTRW.

I don't know the other gang dream shows but MyGO is great and very rewatchable. Excellent character writing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

one more episode of lv99 Villainess to go next week, looks like its gonna end on a strong note.
If this week's was the last episode, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Good last hurrah of Dolkness dense moments as she's getting assassination attempts, resolved the parents issue, finally got together with Patrick. (who got to lv60, wow) And everyone is setting off to the demon lord. Wouldn't have been surprised if that was the end and this was the hook for next season, but I guess we're getting one more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agronox posted:

IIRC it won best anime of 2023 here on ADTRW.

I don't know the other gang dream shows but MyGO is great and very rewatchable. Excellent character writing.
the other bang dream seasons are decent and still have p. good character writing but theyre more unfocused and less committed to the stakes. its really funny at the end of s3 where the whole season's about a big battle of the bands and then at the end the event organizer is like 'you girls had the best song... but YOU girls had the most heart... and YOU girls had the most unique sound...' like mario party bonus stars

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
rear end-pull ties are an idol anime tradition

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
MyGo was the first bang dream i watched beyond falling off a couple of eps of the initial show, and yeah it was my anime of the season and probably the year. both emotionally compelling and the emotions were far more grounded and 'realistic' than i would ever have expected from the pitch (spoiling this image of High Angst from the midpoint just in case)

also while i'm always hesitant to say a character is 'canon autistic' i think the ep that's tomori's first-person backstory is the closest i'd come to just going yeah, i don't care if they explicitly state it, she is. the end of the kindergarten scene where the teachers are trying to get her to go play with the other kids but she just wants to arrange her rock collection is really cute and sad at the same time - captures both her happiness with her rocks and the adults writing her off as 'ugh, this kid's weird' in a couple of seconds of animation

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Apraxin posted:

also while i'm always hesitant to say a character is 'canon autistic' i think the ep that's tomori's first-person backstory is the closest i'd come to just going yeah, i don't care if they explicitly state it, she is. the end of the kindergarten scene where the teachers are trying to get her to go play with the other kids but she just wants to arrange her rock collection is really cute and sad at the same time - captures both her happiness with her rocks and the adults writing her off as 'ugh, this kid's weird' in a couple of seconds of animation

having just finished that episode i think i'm in total agreement, inasmuch as not trying to speak for the writers' intent but more so having it as a lens to view Tomori through. without detailing too much, there's a lot in that flashback episode that reminded me far too much of my own adolescence, to the point i had to pause several times to just reflect and take a moment. it made me feel empty in a way that i don't think an anime or manga has in a while and got so many details right that it's genuinely uncomfortable. the inverse of that, though, is actually having a character who i think is portrayed exactly as she should be, without being made into comic relief or cringe incarnate (granted i'm only on ep 4 but i have faith in the writers so far). if MyGO can stick the landing with her ending in a way that doesn't either shortchange her character nor feels too saccharine, that alone would be enough to make me really like it, but on top of everything else working in its favor so far, this genuinely may usurp Akiba Maid War as my favorite anime of this decade so far

also taking any more MyGO thoughts to the general chat thread cuz it sure aint this season

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 21, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the inspiring music swell into showing twitter on a phone that just happened in tomozaki is the most cursed thing i've ever seen in an anime

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Legit surprised I haven't seen more people into Snack Basue, which to me feels like Pop Team Epic on qualuudes (positive). Very similar style of humor but a much less manic pace.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

claw game handjob posted:

Legit surprised I haven't seen more people into Snack Basue, which to me feels like Pop Team Epic on qualuudes (positive). Very similar style of humor but a much less manic pace.

i watched the first couple of episodes of snack basue and it waffled between actually being pretty funny and aggressively not landing for me. the second half of the first ep with the incel guy was a rough watch even with the joke being how insufferable he is. there's something there and i'm honestly not surprised to hear someone's into it, but it wasn't my thing.

also the last ep of metallic rouge might honestly have been the worst yet - building to your climax with a drop in animation quality and a bunch of running around nondescript halls is a rough move

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

i watched the first couple of episodes of snack basue and it waffled between actually being pretty funny and aggressively not landing for me. the second half of the first ep with the incel guy was a rough watch even with the joke being how insufferable he is. there's something there and i'm honestly not surprised to hear someone's into it, but it wasn't my thing.

I feel like if you ever give it a second shot (or want to take a blind leap, to anyone else), hit up episode 5. It's a good snapshot of a lot of the extended cast and also shows a better Morita-chan skit.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

the inspiring music swell into showing twitter on a phone that just happened in tomozaki is the most cursed thing i've ever seen in an anime

Absolutely incredible moment there. This dork's absolutely making the wrong choice lmao

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

pork never goes bad posted:

Absolutely incredible moment there. This dork's absolutely making the wrong choice lmao

the bit where he continues and is like "have you used this app? let me show you how..." is somewhere in the same vibe ballpark as a microsoft informational video from the 90s. was loving crazy.

also the idea that someone would be a nerd and really into fantasy novels and isn't already talking about this poo poo with a ton of online friends. tomozaki (the show) usually hits or is at least interesting with this stuff and that development was so poorly considered and landed so weirdly i was flabbergasted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh Villainess Level 99 is significantly different from the novel and the manga.

or just further ahead than the manga

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 21, 2024

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh Villainess Level 99 is significantly different from the novel and the manga.

or just further ahead than the manga

It passed the scanlation last episode at least.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Does The Dangers In My Heart actually stay a regular romance manga after it becomes one or does it ever try to become dark again?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It wasn't very "dark" in the first place, so no.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah it was always just him being chuuni in his head and growing past that.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

the bit where he continues and is like "have you used this app? let me show you how..." is somewhere in the same vibe ballpark as a microsoft informational video from the 90s. was loving crazy.

also the idea that someone would be a nerd and really into fantasy novels and isn't already talking about this poo poo with a ton of online friends. tomozaki (the show) usually hits or is at least interesting with this stuff and that development was so poorly considered and landed so weirdly i was flabbergasted.

I saw you say earlier that (despite all it's manifest and real flaws) that this show has often said interesting things about social dynamics and individual social development even to the point of making you introspect on yourself and I definitely agree. Earlier in the run, Fuuka was one of my favorite characters. She was a great foil for Aoi - introverted rather than extroverted, earnest rather than manufactured, honest rather than Machiavellian. And, I guess, she is still all those things. But over time she's becoming my least favorite character basically because she and tomozaki have like negative chemistry and he's basically freezing her development as a person at the same time as he chooses her as his romantic interest at the same time as he continues to prioritize Aoi over all others. Dashing this off quickly so it's kinda half baked, but the tomozaki/Fuuka thing is really not landing for me rn.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

and then immediately suggesting she go meet up with twitter randos in real life, come on dude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that stuff would have been written in the novels probably around the time twitter was first getting big in japan whichd explain some of that tone i think

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

pork never goes bad posted:

Dashing this off quickly so it's kinda half baked, but the tomozaki/Fuuka thing is really not landing for me rn.

it's believable to me that tomozaki would be more romantically interested in fuuka even though it appears he has much more outward chemistry with mimimi. people feel like that all the time.

the problem is the show does a bad job of establishing tomozaki's feelings toward his relationships. dude's going out to eat with fuuka and reading the fake neverending story books in season 1, yet they're still kind of just spinning their wheels, whereas he and mimimi naturally grow closer and have in-jokes and eat each other's food awkwardly and poo poo. the setup feels much better and believable for mimimi, whereas in trying to establish fuuka as his romantic partner they've spent an episode reading her fiction over motion graphics and showing her twitter. they hit pause on tomozaki and fuuka to focus on other plotlines then this is what they came up with in figuring out how to make it work. it's, bad.

it would be interesting if it turned out tomozaki and fuuka don't actually have romantic chemistry and they spend an arc navigating him figuring that out, but at this point i'm losing faith in the show's ability to make that interesting. it would also be in a hypothetical season 3 years from now and i'm not really invested enough to read ahead in the novels and find out.

Endorph posted:

that stuff would have been written in the novels probably around the time twitter was first getting big in japan whichd explain some of that tone i think

yeah the actual twitter part just lands weird today, i kinda figured that. like watching a show from 15 years ago where everyone has flip phones. but the way it's executed is an indicator of a bigger issue - the show doesn't really know how to ramp up the plot past tomozaki working on not being a shut-in. he got there, and the answers for what comes next have been disappointing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bravern hit a new peak today

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ishura getting a second season seems a bit odd, given it did not seem to be doing particularly well in terms of viewers or interest. Was it somehow performing better in Japan?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's a fairly popular LN in japan and often these adaptations get planned for 2 seasons from the start even if they announce them one at a time. the same happened with spy classroom iirc

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad, Ishura is pretty good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked all the character intro episodes but wouldn't be surprised if that structure lost people

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sindai posted:

I'm glad, Ishura is pretty good.

Its been entertaining once it got past all the character introduction episodes but I think it kinda sucks that the characters that are left are for the most part less interesting than the ones that got killed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/SulemioMercury/status/1770920625483235820