Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1770903735516164488
wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Why

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NIL lets college players get paid so the NBA doesnt have to do it anymore

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah it's this.

It can't help though that pretty much every Ignite player was drafted lower than they should have been except maybe Scoot. That was partly to blame on coaching, they never did these guys any favors, basically put everyone in position to not look their best. With college now once again providing a free (to them) service of showcasing these players in their best environment it undoes the need for Ignite.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paul Zuvella posted:

It also doesn't really seem like it was better at developing players than college which was the other point

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Neither college teams or ignite were set up to develop players. Ignite just existed to showcase prospects.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Yeah it's this.

It can't help though that pretty much every Ignite player was drafted lower than they should have been except maybe Scoot. That was partly to blame on coaching, they never did these guys any favors, basically put everyone in position to not look their best. With college now once again providing a free (to them) service of showcasing these players in their best environment it undoes the need for Ignite.

I don't think Dyson Daniels goes top 8 if he goes the typical college route

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

scoot busted so hard he dissolved the ignite

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ghost Dog posted:

scoot busted so hard he dissolved the ignite

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Players can still join the G League straight from HS, so I dunno if this is all that much of a cost savings as much as specifically the ignite team just didn't seem to do that great of a job of doing whatever it was supposed to do.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I know you've been watching alot of scoot this year

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I know you've been watching alot of scoot this year

Lol

For real though Scoot had a really bad season, future is not looking bright

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Honestly the biggest reason out of NIL is the lack of development. Scoot was supposed to go #2 and went #3 and Holland was projected #1 and who knows where he is going now.

The league has a track record of lowering players draft stock and they come in underprepared.

I think the biggest issue imo is the lack of competition. The stakes for an individual game are extremely low, very limited fans, and terrible team construction.

Scoot being so underwhelming this year and not really improving from his first to second year in the gleague certainly didn’t do it any favors.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ignite players never seemed to give a poo poo about winning or losing and that's probably a really poor place to be for young talent.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Kuminga and Jalen Green seem to be coming online this year, maybe some of the other draft picks will be fine.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Scoot going from #2 to #3 would probably have happened if he went to college still. You guys realize stuff like that has happened in drafts routinely. How is Jaden Hardy any different than someone like Brandon Boston? Jaleen Green still went #2

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Ignite players never seemed to give a poo poo about winning or losing and that's probably a really poor place to be for young talent.

Like Dokmo said, it was always a showcase never a team (save maybe year one)

They never had shooters to space the floor. They never had legit g-league bigs to rim protect and rebound.

They consistently put top prospects in the worst positions, I honestly thought it was like a plot to pay these guys 1m a year in exchange for showing a worst case scenario to NBA teams, to limit the downside risks of early lottery picks.

If they had built it like a real team it would be different. NIL i think solves a ton of problems for the NBA, but they're still going to have to do a ton of player development themselves

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Scoot going from #2 to #3 would probably have happened if he went to college still. You guys realize stuff like that has happened in drafts routinely. How is Jaden Hardy any different than someone like Brandon Boston? Jaleen Green still went #2

Your point about Daniels is good but I think Jaden Hardy would have been at a program that would have centered around his strengths rather than just being like "idk man figure it out. against dudes who are 2-3 years older than you and are desperate to make you look bad so they can go into the actual league."

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Don't mess with luke
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7348982700432280875

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Mavs just broke their franchise record in dunks lol

10 of them were from Gafford

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://discord.gg/p7R3XfKs

link to the discord where a handful of us talk about Ball

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lonzo has a goon discord?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://discord.gg/p7R3XfKs

link to the discord where a handful of us talk about Ball

you have a whole forum for it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tristeham posted:

Sometimes you just want to have a little chat rather than posting at someone. We have little chat about basket or whatever. It's really not something to object towards

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

fart simpson posted:

lonzo has a goon discord?

We do discuss the big baller brand as well as Lamar Ball's specialty of milk steak with bell peppers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

live by the three don’t die

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

MPJ's averaging 20 points on 60.2/48.5/87.5 shooting splits in March

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Sometimes you just want to have a little chat rather than posting at someone. We have little chat about basket or whatever. It's really not something to object towards

I need to get back to the discord but I haven’t been using the laptop in the evenings much lately

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

big boi posted:

MPJ's averaging 20 points on 60.2/48.5/87.5 shooting splits in March

I hate him a bunch. Just the most uncanny head and face this side of Kris Humphries

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just the most uncanny head and face this side of Kris Humphries

How did I never make this connection before.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Arpanets posted:

Kuminga and Jalen Green seem to be coming online this year, maybe some of the other draft picks will be fine.

Dyson both got drafted higher than he would have otherwise and is also turning into a real player.

---

I'm hoping Ingram only hyper-extended his knee last night and didn't absolutely wreck it. He was on pace to play the most games since his rookie year while also actually using his size on defense and rebounding. :(

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
MPJ is the number one "This guy looks great cause he plays with Jokic" candidate on the Nuggets imo.

He can shoot real good and is an okay defender but not much else. No dribble game, can't pass, never draws fouls, alright rebounder. Just space in the corner, attack closeouts and make cuts and get fed dynamite looks all game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tristeham posted:

I don't think these boards want to see my stream of consciousness posting about the Pels, in good times and bad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://x.com/MavsHighlights/status/1770995901001064500?s=20

This was sick

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hell yeah

death to the mavs

---

phew, avoided worst-case scenario, I think:

https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA/status/1771183154943942915?s=20

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I have a benevolent patronizing feelings towards mavs and suns fans, that was a play of beauty. My true spurs grudge is not liking the thunder and never forgiving Zaza

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

did this get posted, it probably should get posted again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's like a loving magnet

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

did this get posted, it probably should get posted again