Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Resdfru posted:

Didnt rand have a few times where he was like whew that last battle was tough, thank goodness that's over with. Waddoyoumeantheresanotherone
Books one, two and three, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Amazon isn't quite as cancel prone as Netflix is, right?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Colonel Cool posted:

Amazon isn't quite as cancel prone as Netflix is, right?

Not really. Of course that's mostly cause Bezos wants to be around famous people

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most Amazon shows don’t go very long. The Boys will probably get 5 seasons which is what they planned but it was so popular it got a spin off and animated show. WoT ain’t gonna be that popular, it also didn’t get renewed for a 4th yet so it’ll be two years and change that people will need to keep the hype up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It got it's S3 renewal before S2 even started so :shrug:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

also it is (production-related s3 speculation) decently likely to lose its only name, by far its most popular character, and half of its only meaningful wlw pairing next season both based on what we know about the plot going into it and the likelihood that Rosamund Pike moving away from Prague is related to filming. I don't think that's a death knell for the show itself or for fan sentiment next season or even s4 renewal or anything but it would also make me go, hm, maybe I don't actually have 6 to 10 years to complete this before Amazon comes calling.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 29, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

Film season 3 as if it’s the last. Just every scene is hitting a high point from the books: Rhuidean, Dumai’s Wells, siege of the White Tower, the Cleansing, every Forsaken battle, Bowl of the Winds, the gholam, just all of it. No one knows how they got there, things are just happening.

All in 7 episodes. The Last Battle is episode 8, but when they find out they get a 4th season, it’s just all Last Battle for 7 episodes and the last episode is Rand facing the DO, until they find out they have a 5th season. And that’ll just be 8 episodes of Rand telling in pitch black at some ominous voice. You’re basically watching a black screen for 8 episodes. And when they get a 6th season, we get to see Rand no channel a pipe and just smoking while he walks for 8 straight episodes. Glorious.

And when you finally think it’s over, they get a season 7 and literally reboot into the next 3rd age turning of the wheel. Boom, never ending show.

Lol I would love to see what this looks like. At least it's ambitious.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Haven't read the article yet but here's some fun news

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1770465960287256787

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
WoT needs an adaption on the level of Denis Villeneuve's Dune. Villeneuve made big additions, changes and cuts from the books and the vast majority of book fans love it anyway. The general public and critics love it too. WoT needs someone in charge who can give it that clear direction, distinct visual style and level of care that Denis V has given Dune. Oh and it needs good music, I can't recall a single song, jingle or musical hook from WoT.

Unrelated to the above, but something else that has come to mind. I think a lot of the problems with the WoT show are problems across nearly every Amazon show that I've seen, which are Jack Ryan, Reacher, RoP and Wot (and The Boys, but I don't think this criticism applies there). The quality of the writing, directing, acting, editing, cinematography and special effects all swing wildly from one scene to the next. Sometimes they nail everything and for a little while you think you're watching a prestige show, but then the next scene comes across like it's amateur hour on the WB or Sci-fi.

I enjoy the show for what it is, but it's so disappointing compared to what it could have been.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

What’s it like in that parallel universe you live in? In ours, a pretty famous movie composer did the WoT soundtrack and it’s got a bunch of bangers? Also the show runners didn’t do a straight adaptation but instead chose to use their pretty intense knowledge of the books to modernize and augment the existing content to better fit the format of a TV show!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even if you could somehow do each Wheel of Time book in two movies that would still be 28 high-budget movies, I doubt anyone is going to fund that.

Personally I thought Denis Villeneuve's Dune was a bit boring.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That one shot of the missiles streaking down towards the city was loving gorgeous though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The music loving slaps wth

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well music is super subjective but I can't remember anything from the show. GoT otoh whoo boy still jammed in my head somewhere

E: Dune is maybe the best scifi/fantasy adaptation of all time but the music isn't particularly memorable either. The sound design tho? Best of the year for both years they came out easily.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 23, 2024

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i really dig villeneuve's eye too, man knows how to make anything look gorgeous

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The show gets 10 million dollars per episode but it still looks cheap. They do good with costumes so I assume that’s where all the money goes.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Who on earth can think of any musical theme from the WoT show lol.
The music isn't crap. The music is fine. It's just not got any particularly memorable themes or moments.

Oasx posted:

Even if you could somehow do each Wheel of Time book in two movies that would still be 28 high-budget movies, I doubt anyone is going to fund that.
Why would you do them in two movies each?
The first 6 books have relatively simple narrative structures which would work well when translated pretty closely to film format. You would need LOTR running times of course, and I agree the chances of anyone funding that are next to nil. But in terms of adaptation it would work fine.
You would have to cut stuff, but that's how adaptations work. The palace scene in Caemlyn in EotW would probably have to go, for example.

Then the later books can be massively condensed so you might end up with say 8 to 10 movies. Still way too many to ever get made realistically I guess. Unless studios just start churning out AI generated stuff en masse at some point and need lots of fodder for that, which kind of seems like it will happen so maybe who knows vOv

Either way.. People seem to think that adapting WoT for the screen necessarily involves a process of tearing the story up and starting from scratch. But the first 6 or 7 books are structurally pretty straightforward and have decent-ish pacing. That's why the series sold a shitload of books. Hell, the first book is intentionally a riff on FotR, another fantasy book that made a good relatively close adaptation. There's no actual need to go wildly off piste. The show has done things pretty loosely but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been a much closer adaptation if that had been what the showrunners were going for.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Al Naito is a banger and has a regular place on my Spotify

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VekVXk1Wo0

Invalid Validation posted:

They do good with costumes so I assume that’s where all the money goes.

It all went on Lanfear's dominatrix outfit and fair tbh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's what always confused me about the impossible to adapt argument you see alot here. The first book has like how many settings? Twin Rivers, Baerlon (lol just realized what it sounds like), Four Kings, Caemlyn, then alotta countryside walking and zooting off to Fal Dara and the Blight? It's a relatively tight escape narrative with a weird and awesome fight scene at the end.

And also the fact that there's so much in the season that is new material also is an argument against it, at least to me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

El Grillo posted:

Why would you do them in two movies each?

Because the comparison was made to Denis Villeneuve’s Dune which consists of two movies made out of a book that has maybe half the plot of the first (and simplest) WoT book.

You could do each WoT book as a single movie, but you could also do each WoT book as a 5 minute short film, that doesn’t mean it would be good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I often like to remember that Brokeback Mountain is a 2.5 hour movie made from a 20-page short story.

A lot can be done with music and establishing shots and atmosphere; it's not always about compressing.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

That's what always confused me about the impossible to adapt argument you see alot here. The first book has like how many settings? Twin Rivers, Baerlon (lol just realized what it sounds like), Four Kings, Caemlyn, then alotta countryside walking and zooting off to Fal Dara and the Blight? It's a relatively tight escape narrative with a weird and awesome fight scene at the end.

And also the fact that there's so much in the season that is new material also is an argument against it, at least to me.

You're missing at least Shadar Logoth, Whitebridge, the Spray, and the Ways in that list, plus a bunch of other important countryside locations (Whitecloak camp for instance).

Obviously it's not impossible to adapt - it's always going to be a question of money and time. Sets, characters, extras, costumes - every time you have a new location it adds up. Which is why the show skips Caemlyn and uses the Tower instead, since you can get a lot more mileage out of that setting both in world-building but also you know you need it a lot for future seasons.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

th3t00t posted:

WoT needs an adaption on the level of Denis Villeneuve's Dune. Villeneuve made big additions, changes and cuts from the books and the vast majority of book fans love it anyway. The general public and critics love it too. WoT needs someone in charge who can give it that clear direction, distinct visual style and level of care that Denis V has given Dune. Oh and it needs good music, I can't recall a single song, jingle or musical hook from WoT.

Unrelated to the above, but something else that has come to mind. I think a lot of the problems with the WoT show are problems across nearly every Amazon show that I've seen, which are Jack Ryan, Reacher, RoP and Wot (and The Boys, but I don't think this criticism applies there). The quality of the writing, directing, acting, editing, cinematography and special effects all swing wildly from one scene to the next. Sometimes they nail everything and for a little while you think you're watching a prestige show, but then the next scene comes across like it's amateur hour on the WB or Sci-fi.

I enjoy the show for what it is, but it's so disappointing compared to what it could have been.

hadn't really thought about it before, but yeah, i can't remember any songs from wot or rop. but i can even still remember how witcher's "toss a coin to your witcher" or got's theme go and it has been years since i last heard them

dennis' duncs are a bit overrated. they aren't bad, but not anything special either. 80s dune and the miniseries were superior

speaking of the miniseries dune, that's how wot should have been made, except longer

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They could have actually made it moraine focused instead of the dumb mystery and following all the EFF. Who really needed to see that awful perin and egg white cloak scene? Him showing up with yellow eyes would have worked just as well, and plan for branching out after moraine gets fridged in the wastes. The return to EF is going to have to diverge from the books massively anyway in the show.

That could have had some very good pacing in the early books. It's not like they were against using flashbacks for important scenes i.e. Tam and him actually killing some whitecloaks is better than fridge wife (iirc, I'll never rewatch the series)

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

They could have actually made it moraine focused instead of the dumb mystery and following all the EFF. Who really needed to see that awful perin and egg white cloak scene? Him showing up with yellow eyes would have worked just as well, and plan for branching out after moraine gets fridged in the wastes. The return to EF is going to have to diverge from the books massively anyway in the show.

That could have had some very good pacing in the early books. It's not like they were against using flashbacks for important scenes i.e. Tam and him actually killing some whitecloaks is better than fridge wife (iirc, I'll never rewatch the series)

Yes, definitely the show needs to be sidelining its main characters even more than it already has been. Every successful adaptation throws out as much of the original work as possible.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They certainly did not do any of the EFF justice in the current adaptation and their big name was Pike, should have written for that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I often like to remember that Brokeback Mountain is a 2.5 hour movie made from a 20-page short story.

A lot can be done with music and establishing shots and atmosphere; it's not always about compressing.
yeah what wheel of time needed was to be longer

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Oasx posted:

Personally I thought Denis Villeneuve's Dune was a bit boring.

Mods?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Oasx posted:

Because the comparison was made to Denis Villeneuve’s Dune which consists of two movies made out of a book that has maybe half the plot of the first (and simplest) WoT book.

You could do each WoT book as a single movie, but you could also do each WoT book as a 5 minute short film, that doesn’t mean it would be good.
I said that WoT needs an adaption on the level of Denis Villenueve's Dune, not that it needs to be adapted in the exact same format.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

th3t00t posted:

I said that WoT needs an adaption on the level of Denis Villenueve's Dune, not that it needs to be adapted in the exact same format.

I can't believe you think that Timothée Chalamet would make a good Rand.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Pacing is an issue, and giving all characters something to do while also sticking to the source material is really tough. You provided probably the worst possible example of something to cut for my taste. Perrin and the Whitecloaks rules, and it also has ties to the endgame of the story. Perrin doesn't have enough to do as it is in the first six books, I'm not cutting his coolest stuff.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Did I miss him killing children in the show?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He killed Dain's dad in the S2 finale

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ravenson posted:

…well hang on.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ravenson posted:

He could do a good Moridin so... technically yes?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I always thought of him as a Galad myself. I'm not attracted to men so I'm not sure if he's "its not fair for a man to be that beautiful" but it's what comes to my mind

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

That works too, yeah

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I always thought of him as a Galad myself. I'm not attracted to men so I'm not sure if he's "its not fair for a man to be that beautiful" but it's what comes to my mind

probably pretty much on the money

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nihilarian posted:

yeah what wheel of time needed was to be longer

20 episode season 1, with final scene showing the first glimpse of Trollocs entering Two Rivers. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Entire episodes consisting of nothing but Nynaeve's internal monologue about whether or not she will admit she enjoys wearing dresses with low necklines